Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats it. I have had it. I have a called a psychic, to channel Walter Cronkite. Ill let you all know what he says shortly! Good lord Cnn is airing graphics wiht big arrows towards eyes, nose, mouth(ssurprised they forgot ears) and hard surfaces. THey are reporting it as fact, when there has not been one doucmented situation of that since 1976. A heard of elephants could kill someone, someone could get electructed by a printer, space junk could kill 8,000, ultraviolet sound waves could cause your heart to stop, the world might stopping spining. THose all could be true - they are not news, they aree xactly what they :what ifs. It is numbing.

IMO, its not the medias "job" to report on "what ifs". it is even more of a crime not to report that is what you are doing ---ahhhhhhhhhhhh hold on a swarm of bats is coming!

Whew i bashed em all away! There has not been one case in the Western world that has not been related to haelth care provider, while the majority of experts are reporter that contact with fluid of those infected is the mode of transmission.
IMO, news has created a far bigger problem - panic- based on falsehoods the the Ebola virus

That is great news. She became symptomatic 4 days ago. The next week will be a critical time for her. I'm SO hoping that the plasma from Dr. Brantley will be a major factor in her recovery. Great for her, and good for the world to know if giving this plasma can make the difference. There are thousands of ebola survivors in West Africa. Wouldn't it be amazing if plasma from a survivor held the key to getting this thing under control?

JMO was it DR Brantly that got a blood transfusion from a survivor in Africa? Can't remember. ?? JMO

JMO was it DR Brantly that got a blood transfusion from a survivor in Africa? Can't remember. ?? JMO

No. It was Dr. Brantly who survived the virus and then HE started donating to those patients who matched his blood type.

No. It was Dr. Brantly who survived the virus and then HE started donating to those patients who matched his blood type.

TY OK Somebody had a transfusion from a survivor in Africa dunno who. JMO

Yes, it was from one of his patients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ave-a-young-dallas-nurse-infected-with-ebola/

In late July, when it looked like Dr. Kent Brantly wasn’t going to make it, a small news item escaped Liberia. It spoke of Brantly’s treatment – not of the Ebola vaccine, Zmapp, which Brantly later got. But of a blood transfusion. He had “received a unit of blood from a 14-year-old boy who had survived Ebola because of Dr. Brantly’s care,” the missive said.

Yes, it was from one of his patients.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ave-a-young-dallas-nurse-infected-with-ebola/

In late July, when it looked like Dr. Kent Brantly wasn’t going to make it, a small news item escaped Liberia. It spoke of Brantly’s treatment – not of the Ebola vaccine, Zmapp, which Brantly later got. But of a blood transfusion. He had “received a unit of blood from a 14-year-old boy who had survived Ebola because of Dr. Brantly’s care,” the missive said.

THANKS!! I knew I read it somewhere. JMO

This was awesome! one of the most interressting things was that over there,in crowded contions where an Ebola victim was sying, they ahve not seen any of the people living in the house, unless they had direct contact with the person or bodily fluids - none of em became infected.

I thought that was amzing in light of perceptions being created here. Other neat stuff

The role of hydration and eclectolytes is apparently very signigant in terms of surviving a becoming infecrted.

The Ebola Forum at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/53942763

This is three hours long, but I am looking forward to watching/listening to it.

JMO Sounds like transfusion works at least until the vaccine is developed and tested. Good news. JMO

o/t My brother in law contracted chikumgunya virus just last week. I had never heard of it before.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
When I learned about it years ago, I was mortified at the likelihood of its coming here. Seemed inevitable.

I'm very sorry to hear about your brother in law. Prayers for his journey.

Thats it. I have had it. I have a called a psychic, to channel Walter Cronkite. Ill let you all know what he says shortly! Good lord Cnn is airing graphics wiht big arrows towards eyes, nose, mouth(ssurprised they forgot ears) and hard surfaces. THey are reporting it as fact, when there has not been one doucmented situation of that since 1976. A heard of elephants could kill someone, someone could get electructed by a printer, space junk could kill 8,000, ultraviolet sound waves could cause your heart to stop, the world might stopping spining. THose all could be true - they are not news, they aree xactly what they :what ifs. It is numbing.

IMO, its not the medias "job" to report on "what ifs". it is even more of a crime not to report that is what you are doing ---ahhhhhhhhhhhh hold on a swarm of bats is coming!

Whew i bashed em all away! There has not been one case in the Western world that has not been related to haelth care provider, while the majority of experts are reporter that contact with fluid of those infected is the mode of transmission.
IMO, news has created a far bigger problem - panic- based on falsehoods the the Ebola virus

I couldn't agree more. Plus I am tired of my city Dallas being bashed at every turn. And Presbyterian hospital....we'll. I could write a book on the number of friends I have whose lives were saved there. Including my mother. And people are not remembering or realizing that Ebolla is not the only contagious disease treated in our hospitals. Of course they have the proper isolation rooms and wards. And the staff for handling any of these cases.

People need to ease up a bit and trust what people with first hand knowledge are saying. These people are all we got. They are doing their best as well as putting their own well being at risk. I could go on, but I won't. Suffice it to say I am not worried and in the meantime I will follow my own good sense and pray for all effected. jmho

JMO YUP. Try to stay positive and we will iron this out. It is terribly frightening, especially for Dallas, because Dallas is the guinea pig.........but things are looking up. JMO

The fact that the blood transfusions work is pretty unsurprising, given they need blood and antibodies to recover. I assume that was already known. The problem is that it doesn't control ebola - it stops the large amount of deaths. I suppose if they did it early enough, it could lessen the spread by shortening the illness. But the fact that more people survive doesn't necessarily stop the spread. But the resources to provide all infected people with a blood transfusion would be tough. And the use of needles probably creates hazards. So I don't think it is the key to resolution at this point.

The fact that the blood transfusions work is pretty unsurprising, given they need blood and antibodies to recover. I assume that was already known. The problem is that it doesn't control ebola - it stops the large amount of deaths. I suppose if they did it early enough, it could lessen the spread by shortening the illness. But the fact that more people survive doesn't necessarily stop the spread. But the resources to provide all infected people with a blood transfusion would be tough. And the use of needles probably creates hazards. So I don't think it is the key to resolution at this point.

JMO AGREE But until we have a vaccine, it seems like the best thing to do for the afflicted. Changing rituals and denials and world views is a much bigger problem...as always. The spread of it is a cultural issue. No vaccine for that. JMO

The fact that the blood transfusions work is pretty unsurprising, given they need blood and antibodies to recover. I assume that was already known.

Well, we don't even know if it antibodies in the blood which is making the difference. We can hope it is, but as of yet that is not established.

The only real isolation technique is to STOP all incoming flights from West Africa. No matter how many airports these people route themselves through and how many checkpoints they try to dodge.

It seems like a simple thing to do. Govt talking about it--they dont mean it - its a panic reducing notion. Noway! We live in a global economy, that is all so interwined, and political cr&p, and bs!

At this point with cases, both from health care workers , big govt and big business are not interupting the money flow. Total US two-way goods today with sub-Saharan Africa was $63 billion.

Money . rules.Everwhere. Peroid! Airlines do it to. Its called tombstone technology. In essence it says we know about this problem and that problem. Then they run all sorts of stuff, and if the cost of repairing the problem exceed the "value" of the number of people that might might be killled they wont fix it. Everything is $! It has to have potential to kill enough to warrent fixing the problem. Its all money.

Sub-Saharan Africa presents many opportunities for U.S. businesses as an emerging market for American exports. In 2012, eight of the twenty fastest growing economies in the world were in sub-Saharan Africa according to the IMF.

By providing duty-free entry into the United States for almost all African products, AGOA has helped expand and diversify African exports to the United States, while at the same time fostering an improved business environment in many African countries through eligibility requirements. In August 2012, legislation was enacted to extend AGOA’s important third country fabric provision to 2015. Thirty-nine sub-Saharan African countries currently qualify for AGOA benefits. The Africa Office works closely with other U.S. agencies, such as USAID. This includes USAID funding to support the work of the three African Regional Trade Hubs located in Accra, Ghana; Gaborone, Botswana; and Nairobi, Kenya.

In my opionion , its is going to have to get much much worse (IMO it wont) before they will even consider closing off anything in any signfigant manner. They also include (congress) in all this stuff all the interelations between a whole bunch of other players, that will repsond if we strangle ones "friend' Its all geopolitcal,billion and billion and billions!

IMO it wont happen-!

http://www.ustr.gov/countries-regions/africa

http://tombstonetechnology.com/

Blood transfusions could be dangerous in the long term, considering blood born pathogens. Such as HIV or malaria.
It would be hard to implement wide spread blood transfusions in Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satchel7