Ebola outbreak - general thread #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Such stunning allegations . . . I can hardly wrap my mind around this.

I know. I feel bad for them. It has to be absolute hell to go to work there everyday with this mess going on. I'm sure they all need a break.

You are only supposed to donate plasma once per 28 days. By my calculation, in the last month he donated to 3 people.
He is going to have no blood left.
If he doesn't mind, what is the problem?

Also bear in mind that one donation does not equal one transfusion. For example: if 500 cc are drawn during the donation process, you could create 5 x 100cc transfusions, etc. You probably need a very minimal amount of plasma/blood to provide enough antibodies to do the job.

So two questions. Could Dr B make a ton of $$$ by selling his plasma as a remedy ? I'm assuming he's 'donating' at this time, but honestly, couldn't he cash in right here?
And couldn't survivors from the affected areas donate to their locals and give remedies over there or is the cost of a transfusion too much to do routinely in those areas?
TIA !
a few weeks ago it was in MSM that there was a market for survivors' blood. It was also said that they were not doing transfusions or ivs anymore because there was not enough staff. The medical personnel were already at such a high risk they were just treating with fluids. I'll try to find links.

Did you see the one where they made them wrap tape around their necks to protect it???

:gasp:

How do you get that off safely???

ETA, I would LOVE to listen to that conference call. Hopefully it will get posted.

Removing tape from skin can open a pathway for infection. Tape actually blisters my skin. Wonder who suggested tape to the neck?

A lot of articles about Ebola Including bottom article
http://microbiology.utmb.edu/news/

Research doesn’t rule out transmission by floating droplets
By SUE AMBROSE Staff Writer
Published: 12 October 2014 11:19 PM - Updated: 13 October 2014 11:16 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20141012-research-doesnt-rule-out-transmission-by-floating-droplets.ece

During a 1995 outbreak of Ebola in Kikwit, Congo, a team of scientists studied 316 people diagnosed with the disease. For the vast majority, there was an explanation of how they contracted the disease. They had a history of very close contact with a patient and body fluids, many of them in a hospital where patients were being treated.
But for 12 people there was no clear explanation of how they had become infected, said Dr. C.J. Peters, a virologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He headed the research team when he worked for the CDC.
Because there was no evidence that those 12 people had been close to an Ebola patient, the researchers said they had to consider such possibilities as droplets containing virus, airborne virus particles or the touching of a contaminated object.
“The patterns suggest that most, if not all, of the infections are due to direct contact with fluids,” Peters said. “However, I cannot exclude based on the evidence that we had, a minority might be due to small particle aerosols.”

Such stunning allegations . . . I can hardly wrap my mind around this.

No wonder CDC thinks more of them could be infected.
Keep in mind that incubation period is up to 21 days, but most infections show up at 8-10 days. It has been only 6 days since Mr. Duncan died.
Around 70 people were taking care of him in that hospital.
Can you imagine the implications?

OMG. If in fact these things happened, I'm glad the facts are coming out. If in fact these things happened, could they have been any less prepared? It's hard to believe that so many bright people messed up so badly.

Really shocking, I'm glad they spoke out. I also hope they organize and join the union. Its the only way they'll get a safe workplace.

No wonder CDC thinks more of them could be infected.
Keep in mind that incubation period is up to 21 days, but most infections show up at 8-10 days. It has been only 6 days since Mr. Duncan died.
Around 70 people were taking care of him in that hospital.
Can you imagine the implications?

With everything they have going on at Presbyterian, I wonder if they would put another patient there or send them somewhere else.

Really shocking, I'm glad they spoke out. I also hope they organize and join the union. Its the only way they'll get a safe workplace.

It sounds like 80% of the nurses in the country feel unsafe with regards to ebola.

With everything they have going on at Presbyterian, I wonder if they would put another patient there or send them somewhere else.

Nurse went there. So if any other of their employees caught it, they will likely go there as well.

So someone explain to me what the "rapid field blood test" is?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/

Experimental drug likely saved Ebola patients
By Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Danielle Dellorto, CNN
updated 8:22 PM EDT, Tue August 5, 2014

--- re: Dr. Kent Brantly

Yes. From http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/10/03/this-test-could-stop-ebola-s-spread.html
They have developed a strip test using only one drop of blood. It doesn't say what they test but I would say the presence or absence of Ebola- specific antibodies OR possibly of a large viral load of some kind, which is not present in a healthy person.
Quote: "In 15 minutes or less, a positive or negative line will appear on the test, indicating Ebola positive or negative. "

Workers at Madrid Hospital Say Spain Was Ill-Prepared for Ebola

Spanish Experience Points Up Challenges for U.S. in Handling Disease

Updated Oct. 14, 2014 5:30 p.m. ET

http://online.wsj.com/articles/work...y-spain-was-ill-prepared-for-ebola-1413320546

One might say Spain did even worse than US.
At least when nurse here got symptoms, they started treating her right away.
There they didn't test her for Ebola and didn't admit her to a hospital for a week.
On the other hand, possibly more employees were infected here (and don't show symptoms yet).
So it's a toss up.

Have any of you seen this crap? There is no excuse for this. It's now wonder that the nurse who got Ebola got it. This hospital should be sued. Going to post other snippets in another post.

(part 1)

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health/texas-ebola-nurses-union-claims/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A nursing supervisor faced resistance from hospital authorities when the supervisor demanded that Duncan be moved to an isolation unit, the nurses said, according to the union.

At first, protective gear nurses were wearing while treating Duncan left their necks exposed.

After expressing concerns that their necks were exposed even as they wore protective gear, the nurses were told to wrap their necks with medical tape, the union says.

"They were told to use medical tape and had to use four to five pieces of medical tape wound around their neck. The nurses have expressed a lot of concern about how difficult it is to remove the tape from their neck," Burger said.

At one point during Duncan's care, hazardous waste piled up.

"There was no one to pick up hazardous waste as it piled to the ceiling," Burger said. "They did not have access to proper supplies."

Nurses got no "hands-on" training about using protective gear.

"There was no mandate for nurses to attend training," Burger said, though they did receive an e-mail about a hospital seminar on Ebola.

"This was treated like hundreds of other seminars that were routinely offered to staff," she said.

(Part 2)

SOURCE: http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/health/texas-ebola-nurses-union-claims/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The nurses "feel unsupported, unprepared, lied to and deserted."

So why did the group of nurses -- the union wouldn't say how many -- contact the nursing union, which they don't belong to?

According to DeMoro, the nurses were upset after authorities appeared to blame nurse Nina Pham, who has contracted Ebola, for not following protocols.

"This nurse was being blamed for not following protocols that did not exist. ... The nurses in that hospital were very angry, and they decided to contact us," DeMoro said.

And they're worried conditions at the hospital "may lead to infection of other nurses and patients," Burger said.

A hospital spokesman did not respond to the specific allegations, but said patient and employee safety is the hospital's top priority.

I think I see now why Dr. Frieden of the CDC now says they will be on the scene for any future Ebola possible admissions.
I wish I was back living in Atlanta. I KNOW there are some great hospitals there with extremely stringent isolation protocols.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper