Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about Duncan's first visit. Fever up and down. Second time, he met ebola "algo rhythm". Notified CDC and Dallas county health and human services-- their disease speciality arrived shorty thereafter. CDC arrived October 1.

Interrupted doctor want to ask him questions. Running over time.

I want to research patent numbers. Have they mentioned names of meds or supposed vaccines? Even mention an abbreviated version?

Searching in the patent and trademarks database just for the word ebola brings back 2340 hits. There are people working on so many things related to the virus.

Team doing everything possible to help Pham. Her care "evolves". Prayers. Thoughts and prayers to amber as well. Addressing Nina and Amber. Skilled nurses, full protective measured under CDC protocol. Exposure somewhere, they don't know how.

Texas health began education this past summer on ebola. Acknowledging they received CDC guidelines over the summer. CDC said to put Emergency policy in place for ebola like symptoms and add travel history to electronic medical records.

It's been reported their necks were exposed and their gloves weren't taped around the wrists.
Not to the fault of the nurses. They didn't receive the proper training.
Also for two days some weren't wearing eye shields.
CDC isn't telling the truth - not taking responsibility.

Did they downgrade her condition? Last I heard she was ' good' . Her moving concerns me that she's slipped from her good status :(

I don't know. They didn't say. I assumed he was speaking about her move to NIH.

Clipboard dude identified- kind of

Davis said the man, who he did not name, is the team's medical safety coordinator. Standard protocol is for him to wear street clothes, Davis said, because the suits can block field of vision and hearing. Davis said the man has been trained on keeping safe distance from patients and is ready to "suit up" if needed.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Plain-Clothes-Man-Perplexes-Viewers-279357962.html

OMG.....Dr. Fanci just totally contradicted the reason why the patient is being transferred. He just said it was to get better care. That contradicts what Texas said as to staffing.

Here we go. Who do we believe. Good grief.

Whiskey
Foxtrot
Tango

@JasonWhitely: My understanding is #AmberVinson reported NO symptoms to us when she asked to fly, @CDCgov Dir Dr. Tom Frieden tells Congress. #Ebola

Thank you for these questions now if Frieden stops beating around the bush and trying to answer the question by answer a whole different question.

Did they downgrade her condition? Last I heard she was ' good' . Her moving concerns me that she's slipped from her good status :(

Oh no, I didn't think of that. I sure hope not - prayers go out for her.

Wonder if we have anyone on this committee who is a physician.

Question time:

Friedan: not personally involved in Amber's call to CDC and he hasn't seen transcript. He understands she reported no symptoms.

Fauci: Pham... Will people in contact with her (medical care) have travel restriction? No. Her condition is the same. She has not deteriorated. She is getting moved to get skilled care. Stable. Doing reasonably well. NIH has limited capacity of beds for future cases. Two beds, Pham gets one.

OMG.....Dr. Fanci just totally contradicted the reason why the patient is being transferred. He just said it was to get better care. That contradicts what Texas said as to staffing.

Here we go. Who do we believe. Good grief.
Probably both. if staffing is low, better care is at NIH.....NIH only has 2 beds! Nina gets one. JMO

I turned in last night and see at least 10 pages I missed. Yikes. Before I go back and read, I would like to submit something to you all.

There has been much talk and angst and disagreement about the terms "droplet transmission," which can travel short distances in the air and "airborne transmission." If droplets travel through the air, it must by definition be "airborne", right? Well, no, not in the sense of how we categorize modes of transmission. As a nurse, I know or have access to a lot of doctors, 2 ID doctors in particular, and many great ones in other specialties. Yesterday I wrote a letter to a doctor who has spent a large part of his career giving care to remote populations. He is soon going back to Africa to take care of patients in the "hot zone." I can't prove his credentials, so you will have to give me the benefit of the doubt or not as you read this.

Here was my question:

You have been very generous with your time. If you are willing or able, can you comment on this article as it relates to categorizing ebola as a contact and droplet transmitted disease vs. airborne? Does it change anything with regard to prevention/isolation/treatment/protection of caregivers? Is the distinction between droplet and airborne essentially nullified by this "evidence"?

http://www.globalresearch.ca/ebola-...th-workers-need-respirators-not-masks/5408022

If you don't have the time or inclination to deal with this, I would totally understand.

He graciously responded:

For a level 4 isolation virus, it doesn't change anything. But for the population it does. Airborne means that after the droplet has evaporated, the infectious particle remains suspended in air or dust particles and continues to be infectious. The particle has to be resistant to drying and remain infectious for a long time.

Doplets are large and fall to the ground. They can only cause infection through direct contact (while wet and intact). Gravity quickly takes them to the ground.

Airborne is a big deal. It means that breathing air that may have been contaminated hours before is potentially lethal. It would require isolating anyone that has entered the airspace of a previously infected individual. Literally anyone walking through an airport through that airspace within the half-life of that infectious material must be isolated.

So what he is saying is that if you are the unlucky one taking care of an ebola patient, you are likely always in the vicinity of droplet transmission infectious material. Likewise, if you are the guy standing near an infectious ebola victim and they sneeze into your face, or vomit and you inhale or ingest through your mouth the aerosol of that vomit, you are toast. However, for the population at large in our communities and out in the world, the implications of airborne transmission are incredibly ominous.

Can you imagine if ebola was actually aireborne? Every person who entered Duncan's apartment and breathed the air in that apartment would be infected, even those who never even saw him, never touched anything in the room, but were simply standing in the room he had been standing in a certain time before. If he had gone to CVS to get pepto bismal, everyone who followed him for a period of time afterward would be at risk, even though they'd never been near him, never been near his body fluids, never been near enough to him to be contaminated by a sneeze or aerosol vomit or any other body fluid.

Can you understand how this would spread throughout a community if you never even had to see Duncan to become infected, and in turn to infect others? If you believe in God, you should be on your knees thanking him that ebola is NOT an airborne virus. Or thank the stars, or just simply be very grateful. If it were, this would be a disaster most likely unprecedented in our history, due to this virus' virulence. It's why, when lay people constantly insist that this is an "airborne disease," people with medical knowledge get frustrated or roll their eyes, thinking, "no, no, Thank God, no."

If you are the guy who is contaminated with droplet material and become infected with ebola, the distinction is irrelevant to you, or if you are the nurse caring for the patient without proper equipment, it's also rather meaningless in the short term. But it is such an important distinction in the big picture. It's the difference between Amber Vinson's immediate seatmates being at risk, and the entire plane all facing likely infection. And so on...

Here is another concise link about the various modes of transmission:

http://microbiology.mtsinai.on.ca/faq/transmission.shtml#three

Clipboard dude identified- kind of

Davis said the man, who he did not name, is the team's medical safety coordinator. Standard protocol is for him to wear street clothes, Davis said, because the suits can block field of vision and hearing. Davis said the man has been trained on keeping safe distance from patients and is ready to "suit up" if needed.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/health/Plain-Clothes-Man-Perplexes-Viewers-279357962.html

Clipboard guy needs some more training then b/c he touched the bed, the red bag and the outside of the suit of at least one of the people standing out there.

The CDC chief needs fired IMO. He again said he is "considering" any options.....ya da da da

He also used the word "tracking" people. I am totally convinced he just gets peoples names + numbers and just tells them to call the CDC if something changes. Proven by the girl that called the CDC before flying.

This IMO is not good enough. Not at all. How about real quaranteen in a hospital setting or at home with a guard to ensure they dont leave.

Whiskey
Foxtrot
Tango

@JasonWhitely: My understanding is #AmberVinson reported NO symptoms to us when she asked to fly, @CDCgov Dir Dr. Tom Frieden tells Congress. #Ebola

We may never know the truth. Has it been reported if she asked if it was OK to fly before leaving for Cleveland or was it after she was already in Cleveland and asked if it was OK to fly back to Dallas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop