Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dallas County commissioners meeting. Watch live here: http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...siders-disaster-declaration-due-ebola-n227571

They are considering asking for disaster declaration.

Edit to add: I tried posting this while the meeting was going on, but the thread was closed. Did anybody get to watch it?

Uhhhhh....why? Isn't disaster declaration all about money?

Is the hospital privately owned or state owned? Hospitals carry INSURANCE.

Will declaring it a disaster give the commissioners some special powers to make up rules/laws? If that is the case I say give the Dallas County Commissioners a shot....they have to be better than the CDC at this point.

Expert: Dallas hospital did things right - and wrong

DALLAS – Doctors and nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Dallas caring for Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan did many things right, including donning proper equipment early, isolating the patient and meticulously disposing of soiled sheets and other waste.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/16/ebola-hospital-cdc/17343453/

Aren't things getting a bit hysterical now? I am starting to think the hysteria is going to be far worse in the western world than the Ebola.

Places getting locked down because someone who looked at someone who once wrote to someone that travelled on the same 'plane as VA is having a bit of a funny turn.

Just a basic grasp of the usual disease timeline and how Ebola is passed on should make it clear that no one who was on the plane with VA is likely to be exhibiting symptoms yet - let alone someone who has come in to contact with someone who has been on the plane. (I doubt anyone except people sitting close to her that actually could have been within projectile vomiting distance would have been at risk in any case, and since the only symptom she had was fever it is all highly unlikely)

Good lord --- IMO they are totally losing control of this. Media aint helping. It is there responsibliity not to make everything worse. They are. Resticting Americns speach kinda remind me of Putin.

Here they go - there having meetings , hearings. They endlessly do this nonsense. It keeps them from DOING anything.This aint that hard- acknowledge mistakes and move forward. They are gonna spend 8 weeks (and the holidays are coming) blaming. WHo cares - is there anything to , at this point , looking backwards, they need to move forward, figure out what is gonna be differnt tomm. Yesterday is just that -- enough , and watch this is gonna become partisan nonesense - in a week.

DO something different , no meetings needed IMO They dont get "control" , not of the virus but of the publics perception of what is going on , LE is gonna quite going to work, people at banks are not gonna come in , teachers, bus drivers, pilots it hasw potential to be a serious problem not Ebola hysteria and panic - we do need a civilized, problem solving , calm approach about how things are gonna be handled differently

At this point I am far more concerned about "society falling apart than the virus

goodness lead (Congress) yesterday is yesterday...........................

Aren't things getting a bit hysterical now? I am starting to think the hysteria is going to be far worse in the western world than the Ebola.

Places getting locked down because someone who looked at someone who once wrote to someone that travelled on the same 'plane as VA is having a bit of a funny turn.

Just a basic grasp of the usual disease timeline and how Ebola is passed on should make it clear that no one who was on the plane with VA is likely to be exhibiting symptoms yet - let alone someone who has come in to contact with someone who has been on the plane. (I doubt anyone except people sitting close to her that actually could have been within projectile vomiting distance would have been at risk in any case, and since the only symptom she had was fever it is all highly unlikely)

I wonder why they are trying to contact all 5 flights worth of people. Perhaps she did throw up on that plane and we dont know about it?

I can understand all people on her flight and maybe the people sitting in her seat isle for next flights but I dont understand all passengers from all 5 flights.

Posting the paper about dogs and Ebola has absolutely nothing to do with spreading panic.

Has anyone suggested that the streets are going to be overrun by Ebola riddled dogs?

It has got to do with truth though. It has to do with some people providing links and evidence which repeatedly gets ignored or dismissed.

I do not think dogs are a risk in general at all, but the paper does show that they might pick up the virus and therefore be a potential risk for a few days, so quarantine of the pets of affected patients is not an unreasonable thing to do.

What irritates is people repeating that dogs an cats do not pass on diseases to humans and that there is absolutely no evidence that dogs could carry Ebola or pass it on. There is evidence - it may not be overwhelming but it does exist and to say it does not when it ha been posted on here several times isn't really right is it?

I wonder why they are trying to contact all 5 flights worth of people. Perhaps she did throw up on that plane and we dont know about it?

I can understand all people on her flight and maybe the people sitting in her seat isle for next flights but I dont understand all passengers from all 5 flights.

I know - it is getting quite surreal. Whatever next? Everyone that walked through the airport in Dallas within a four hour window of her arrival?

I don't know, but I heard an interview with a passenger on that flight and he said that nothing happened on that flight to arouse anyone's suspicions that anything was wrong. He was shocked when he heard.

I think that irrational fear is driving many of the events we keep hearing about.

I know - it is getting quite surreal. Whatever next? Everyone that walked through the airport in Dallas within a four hour window of her arrival?

The scary thing is, going back to my post #555, if this were actually "airborne," that's exactly who would need to be quarantined. Everyone in that terminal, and everyone in the Cleveland terminal.

Posting the paper about dogs and Ebola has absolutely nothing to do with spreading panic.

Has anyone suggested that the streets are going to be overrun by Ebola riddled dogs?

It has got to do with truth though. It has to do with some people providing links and evidence which repeatedly gets ignored or dismissed.

I do not think dogs are a risk in general at all, but the paper does show that they might pick up the virus and therefore be a potential risk for a few days, so quarantine of the pets of affected patients is not an unreasonable thing to do.

What irritates is people repeating that dogs an cats do not pass on diseases to humans and that there is absolutely no evidence that dogs could carry Ebola or pass it on. There is evidence - it may not be overwhelming but it does exist and to say it does not when it ha been posted on here several times isn't really right is it?

I tend to agree as I watched an interview with someone from one of the affected Africa communities and they were saying that the wild dogs there were highly suspected of transmitting the disease to others.

We of course dont have a lot of places with wild packs of dogs but I do think its wise to quaranteen the dog that was with the infected people and test it up to 21 days. The person said you can test the dogs to see if they are carrying it, so no need to kill the dogs.

Right? I'm curious as to why the window of suspicion towards possible cases is growing.

I sure hope the wedding dress shop owner has good insurance. I can't think he'd be able to sell any of those dresses after public fear and decontamination crews are finished with them.

I think it's true the Chance right now of any of us getting Ebola is tiny tiny. I think the chance of getting isolated for 3 weeks is higher. Probably still small, but greater than getting Ebola.

What a disruption that would cause! Look at how many people already in the US are on paid leave.

Having 3 weeks of your life taken away is the real issue for most people, I think.

Per local news here nbc.com, Nina is being prepped to transfer from Presby to an air ambulance. Her condition continues to be good.

The scary thing is, going back to my post #555, if this were actually "airborne," that's exactly who would need to be quarantined. Everyone in that terminal, and everyone in the Cleveland terminal.

Well fortunately it isn't - and the spread so far, although utterly heart-breaking confirms that it cannot be airborne (for now anyway) or the rate and spread of infection would be many, many times greater than it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en