Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/heal...m-bethesda-maryland-dallas-hospital/17353713/
so Nina's family never requested a move............thousands of miles away..........why? why there?
says she is doing well?

They don't have staff to treat her at Presby. Many in quarantine, others wary of the dangers, they just don't have the bodies to treat ebola now with so many out. So she's being moved to a place where they know the ebola protocols are already well vetted.

"She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew. It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and at this time it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...aboard-cruise-ship-other-passengers-stranded/

This really is ridiculous. I'm sure nothing will come of it, but it really emphasizes how faulty the "protocols" are.

*centralized treatment to specific hospitals is a must IMO. There really isn't adequate means to monitor ALL hospital employees in this situation. We have not heard even a rumor about any issues with staff from Emory, b/c the clearly understand how to handle this situation. I'm not trying to criticize this lab person, but the risk involved with a cruise ship is astronomical.

*this recent news also highlights IMO that the governments ability to "monitor" travelers from the hot zones would be a complete joke b/c they can't even seem capable of keeping track of hospital staff.

SMH

In his 60s? SO would an older person, possibly in bad health , maybe a bad heart **speculative** live as long with Ebola? Long enough to ' bleed out'? Might he have had the virus but when he got a high fever , his heart gave out or something like that? I can't believe they looked at him and determined no ebola without a test. What am I missing or is this article very poorly written and leaving out some important info ?

Isn't that simply a case of a passenger dying of a heart attack?

These people who were around Duncan need to stay the **** home. I don't get why are they are leaving and putting others at a possible risk.

Disgusting, but with the exception of HC workers the not-so-hidden agenda is PROFIT........ Airlines. Media, Pharmaceutical Co's, governments,.etc. All the spin is for CYA to insure no lawsuits. Where's the justice? JUST US. Could we PLEASE just be informed of the unspun facts? GRRRR JMO

Really would like to know where the breakdown was that caused the two nurses to become infected.

The "breakdown" appears to the the combo of end-of-life treatment for a patient dying of ebola, with all the fluids that produces and the super-extreme risk at that point, combined with incredibly poor CDC protocol for protection for caregivers.

There is some comfort in all the extreme factors it took, and all that had to go wrong, for the disease to be passed along as it did, in the cases we have at this point.

These people who were around Duncan need to stay the **** home. I don't get why are they are leaving and putting others at a possible risk.

As others have said, apparently an early symptom is an intense desire to travel with the mass public :wink:

It really is unbelievable. If they would have just required and forced the initial people that had contact with Duncan to be monitored in a secure setting for 21 days, it would have prevented so much.

It would have been roughly 20-40 people at most who would have been inconvenienced. The way it stands now, the number of people the CDC is trying to track down has to be over 1,000. And now if we include the cruise ship people, the number sky rockets.

And on top of that, an entire hospital has essentially been shut down because they did not do that initial isolation and monitoring of those relatively few people.

Has anyone talked about the two male strippers who were on the flight with amber? They have more sense than everyone else combined-- they self quarantined. More info:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/male-strippers-quarantine-flying-ebola-stricken-nurse-article-1.1977644?utm_content=bufferf0958&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=NYDailyNewsTw

On one hand "hands off" b/c they're strippers :giggle:

Yet.....

The two male dancers were placed in voluntary quarantine after authorities finallygot in touch with them.

Finally?????????? There in lies the problem(s) I mentioned in my previous post.

Getting dizzy from all the head shaking.

This really is ridiculous. I'm sure nothing will come of it, but it really emphasizes how faulty the "protocols" are.

*centralized treatment to specific hospitals is a must IMO. There really isn't adequate means to monitor ALL hospital employees in this situation. We have not heard even a rumor about any issues with staff from Emory, b/c the clearly understand how to handle this situation. I'm not trying to criticize this lab person, but the risk involved with a cruise ship is astronomical.

*this recent news also highlights IMO that the governments ability to "monitor" travelers from the hot zones would be a complete joke b/c they can't even seem capable of keeping track of hospital staff.

SMH

Do we know how they handle the staff at Emory or the other 3 specially equipped hospitals? Are the staff that has treated the few Ebola patients that contracted the virus in Africa required to isolate and monitor for 21 days after treating those patients? Or are there protocols strict enough that they don't feel the need to isolate.

If monitoring and isolating is deemed necessary for anybody caring for an Ebola patient it would mean the staff at those 4 hospitals would be under a constant state of isolation. At least at the Nebraska and Atlanta hospitals were I know they have already treated a few patients. I don't know if the one in Montana has had anybody with Ebola, yet. Is Nina the first Ebola patient for the NIH in Maryland?

Hmmm, that's bad press for Carnival, well if we see reports of passengers cancelling trips I bet there will be a big sale!

In all seriousness though, my spouse travels for a living and he was in the Dallas area at the first of the week and he was very cautious. For those of us who have family members who do a lot of traveling all these reports are scary. I have been in contact with several spouses of traveling people and were all riddled with fear that one of our people could come into contact with this virus.

Honestly, from what I've observed, cruise lines have more sense than the CDC when it comes to spreading contagion. Years ago my 2 nieces & I had a cruise scheduled out of New Orleans. We were supposed to board at 11 am & we were there ready to get onboard. Then an announcement was made that norovirus had affected 345 people on the previous cruise. We could not even enter the terminal building & were told to come back in the late afternoon. The ship was undergoing decontamination & possibly the terminal building as well. Long story made short was that we were finally allowed to board between 8 pm & 9 pm after the decontamination was completed. Sanitized hand wipes were available all over the ship & buffet food which is normally self serve was served by ship employees wearing surgical gloves. No one on our cruise got sick.

It's true. One of the first symptoms of ebola virus is the sudden urge to travel. Geez ! I mean, I guess I can see it . You're locked up in a hospital treating someone under strict ' guidelines' and when you get your time off, you want to get away and go take a break. I get it. But ........

OK... That really made me giggle!!!

Disgusting, but with the exception of HC workers the not-so-hidden agenda is PROFIT........ Airlines. Media, Pharmaceutical Co's, governments,.etc. All the spin is for CYA to insure no lawsuits. Where's the justice? JUST US. Could we PLEASE just be informed of the unspun facts? GRRRR JMO

Here, here cady. And, for there to be justice, there must be Truth, Reparation - repair the harm that has been done, and Change.

SMH

Totally true..they cant keep tabs on a few hospital workers but will do a lot better job tracking people and their contacts from Africa..MMKAY....
Oh and wasn't NINA and Amber both "Low risk" also according to whomever? I see what happened there.
RIDICULOUS.

Do we know how they handle the staff at Emory or the other 3 specially equipped hospitals? Are the staff that has treated the few Ebola patients that contracted the virus in Africa required to isolate and monitor for 21 days after treating those patients? Or are there protocols strict enough that they don't feel the need to isolate.

If monitoring and isolating is deemed necessary for anybody caring for an Ebola patient it would mean the staff at those 4 hospitals would be under a constant state of isolation. At least at the Nebraska and Atlanta hospitals were I know they have already treated a few patients. I don't know if the one in Montana has had anybody with Ebola, yet. Is Nina the first Ebola patient for the NIH in Maryland?

IDK, but the lack of possible new cases from the HCWs is probably the result of very strict protocols, plus the staff are likely also taking sensible precautions regarding their contact with others outside of the hospital.
What ever they're doing it seems to be working, and everyone should be following their lead. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member