Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why yes I do! Could be a great little cottage industry except jumpsuits would be a pain to sew. Maybe there will be a market for tyvek ponchos? Those would be quick and easy. :)

Or you could use a staplegun. :�� :innocent:

homewrap.jpg

Conflicting stories continue on the Cruise Ship situation.....

Texas Hospital Worker Who May Have Handled Ebola Samples Is on Caribbean Cruise

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...-have-handled-ebola-samples-caribbean-n227971

And this story has the couple stranded out at sea not being allowed on land or back on the boat.

Ebola Stricken Cruise Passenger Denied Entry to Belize

http://worldmaritimenews.com/archiv...-denied-entry-to-belize/#.VEDlyFWMtZE.twitter

All this conflicting information is very troubling. It is no wonder that people have no idea what to do. The hospital worker boarded the ship before the CDC issued the no travel restriction.

Belize refuses entry to Carnival cruise ship carrying Texas hospital worker who may have handled Ebola victim’s specimen

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

“It has been 19 days since the passenger may have processed” Duncan’s fluid samples, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement Friday morning.

“The Government of Belize was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola,” the government of Belize said Thursday in a statement.

https://www.facebook.com/GOBPressOffice?_fb_noscript=1

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

“Confirmed with representatives of the Ministry of Health that they have indeed received a report that there is at least one passenger on board the cruise ship, Carnival Magic, showing symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus.

"
Thats great news about the dog. People are generally compassionate. We just want things to be handled properly.

I heard another CDC related interview the other day and the guy said "Look, we so far have only had 3 patients with Ebola." True, but look at all the money and hoops we have had to jump through because of the mishandling of this crisis. Private Planes being chartered, Frontier plane having carpet + seats being ripped out, dress shops closing down, entire Dallas hospital essentially losing all its business, etc. The money loss alone is phenomenal.

I don't hold the CDC responsible for actions required to sooth panic.

Government officials said early Friday that a Dallas health care worker who handled a lab specimen from Duncan is on a Caribbean cruise ship where she has self-quarantined and is being monitored for any signs of infection. State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement that the woman had shown no signs of the disease.

The government is working to return the woman and her husband to the U.S. before the ship completes its cruise. When the woman left the U.S. on the cruise health officials were requiring only self-monitoring, Psaki said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-17-07-56-28

Belize refuses entry to Carnival cruise ship carrying Texas hospital worker who may have handled Ebola victim’s specimen

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-texas-ebola-nurse-refused-entry-in-belize/

“It has been 19 days since the passenger may have processed” Duncan’s fluid samples, State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said in a statement Friday morning.

“The Government of Belize was contacted today by officers of the U.S. Government and made aware of a cruise ship passenger considered of very low risk for Ebola,” the government of Belize said Thursday in a statement.

http://belizean.com/belize-confirms-patient-with-ebola-symptoms-on-cruise-ship-off-its-coast-1814/

“Confirmed with representatives of the Ministry of Health that they have indeed received a report that there is at least one passenger on board the cruise ship, Carnival Magic, showing symptoms similar to that of the Ebola virus.

Im sorry, but I am having to have a small giggle at this because of how our officials again treat it too lightly and other governments treat it with the serious it needs.

Im being exagerating here below, but it is how i think it went down.......

Our official says "dont worry, we just want to make you aware there is a very low risk person on board, but dont worry".

Their ship captain's reaction......"WTH? (hangs up + runs to deck).....Get that person and throw them in a lifeboat and drag it behind the ship about 1000 yards back. Then call the US and tell them to come get this person with their own helicopter. We are not going near them, and if they dont come get them, then just cut the rope to the boat. "

Not directed towards you Elley May. :seeya:

Ugh. Is it she was exposed or she is showing symptoms? This is so annoying.

Hmmm, that's bad press for Carnival, well if we see reports of passengers cancelling trips I bet there will be a big sale!

In all seriousness though, my spouse travels for a living and he was in the Dallas area at the first of the week and he was very cautious. For those of us who have family members who do a lot of traveling all these reports are scary. I have been in contact with several spouses of traveling people and were all riddled with fear that one of our people could come into contact with this virus.

On facebook Carnival Cruiselines has a guy named John Heald I seen a post by him stating that the pax showed no signs of the virus.
I am going to quote the post he posted and if its against TOS then MODS please feel free to delete.

Good morning everyone from my hotel room here at the Marriotthyattcontinental. Some of you may have seen a news report that I wanted to make sure I responded to as quickly as possible. Here then is Carnival's reply to that report;

Late afternoon on Wednesday, Oct. 15., we were made aware by the U.S. CDC of a guest sailing this week on board Carnival Magic who is a lab supervisor at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital. At no point in time has the individual exhibited any symptoms or signs of infection and it has been 19 days since she was in the lab with the testing samples. She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew. It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and at this time it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board.

Cheers

It seems there were 2 or 3 articles and the way I took it was the original person that was supposed to be self monitoring was a woman traveling with her husband. The separate article talks about a person on board who is actually showing signs of Ebola sickness (could be some other illness too), and it is not clear to me if the sick person is that same lady or her husband OR maybe someone else on the ship unrelated to those 2.

I am not sure if its even the same ship in one of the articles with the sick person.

Hmmm, that's bad press for Carnival, well if we see reports of passengers cancelling trips I bet there will be a big sale!

In all seriousness though, my spouse travels for a living and he was in the Dallas area at the first of the week and he was very cautious. For those of us who have family members who do a lot of traveling all these reports are scary. I have been in contact with several spouses of traveling people and were all riddled with fear that one of our people could come into contact with this virus.

Some of us understand the concern because of the carelessness of how this was managed. I really think if it would have been handled better, then lots of people would not be as concerned as we are now. The officials and how they mishandled things has made our perceptions much worse than they needed to be.

The way it has been handled has us thinking that they just let all possible infected people run around the country free-willy. By planes, ships, automobiles, walking, etc.
Perhaps a simpler approach would have been to just tell the people to be sure to stay home unless they absolutely have to leave their house. Most of the news has proven that their travels were not necessary and that is what got lots of people upset.

Hospital Worker Who Handled Ebola Samples on Caribbean Cruise

A Dallas health care worker who handled clinical specimens from an Ebola-infected man from Liberia who later died is on a Caribbean cruise ship - where the worker has self-quarantined and is being monitored for any signs of infection, the State Department said in a statement.

According to the government statement, the worker departed on a cruise ship from Galveston, Texas on Oct. 12 and was out of the country before being notified of active monitoring required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/hospit...la-samples-caribbean-cruise/story?id=26263642

It's true. One of the first symptoms of ebola virus is the sudden urge to travel. Geez ! I mean, I guess I can see it . You're locked up in a hospital treating someone under strict ' guidelines' and when you get your time off, you want to get away and go take a break. I get it. But ........

I am a bit confused by the Nina video in her hospital bed. The guy speaking during the video says thanks for being a part of the ' volunteer' team, right? Does that mean that nurses at Presby were not scheduled to tend for Duncan but instead they allowed them to volunteer since maybe some did not want that task? If I missed that part a billion pages ago, I am sorry and TIA !

Some of us understand the concern because of the carelessness of how this was managed. I really think if it would have been handled better, then lots of people would not be as concerned as we are now. The officials and how they mishandled things has made our perceptions much worse than they needed to be.

The way it has been handled has us thinking that they just let all possible infected people run around the country free-willy. By planes, ships, automobiles, walking, etc.
Perhaps a simpler approach would have been to just tell the people to be sure to stay home unless they absolutely have to leave their house. Most of the news has proven that their travels were not necessary and that is what got lots of people upset.

I'm not sure just "telling them to stay home" would have worked for some. They needed to be quarantined in a medically supervised, guarded facility. I don't know why this wasn't done, except that some weenie, somewhere, didn't want it to appear that we were taking away people's rights to wander around and infect the rest of us.

This situation is already far out of control, imo. Today it's "we need to talk to 800 people who may have taken these flights....and x number of people stuck on this cruise ship. Do people not realize the laws of exponentiation? Really?

Yes, I realize it's going to be "inconvenient" to quarantine these people, but really, what other choice is there? Again, self-monitoring isn't working.

It seems there were 2 or 3 articles and the way I took it was the original person that was supposed to be self monitoring was a woman traveling with her husband. The separate article talks about a person on board who is actually showing signs of Ebola sickness (could be some other illness too), and it is not clear to me if the sick person is that same lady or her husband OR maybe someone else on the ship unrelated to those 2.

I am not sure if its even the same ship in one of the articles with the sick person.

It seems like the few articles that are saying the person is showing signs of Ebola are quoting a press release from Belize officials. I suspect it is a matter of translation. The "news" of a passenger that was in contact with samples from an Ebola patient went from English to Spanish and then back to English again. The news got exaggerated in the translation. IMO

some of us understand the concern because of the carelessness of how this was managed. I really think if it would have been handled better, then lots of people would not be as concerned as we are now. The officials and how they mishandled things has made our perceptions much worse than they needed to be.

this!!

I'm not sure just "telling them to stay home" would have worked for some. They needed to be quarantined in a medically supervised, guarded facility. I don't know why this wasn't done, except that some weenie, somewhere, didn't want it to appear that we were taking away people's rights to wander around and infect the rest of us.

This situation is already far out of control, imo. Today it's "we need to talk to 800 people who may have taken these flights....and x number of people stuck on this cruise ship. Do people not realize the laws of exponentiation? Really?

Yes, I realize it's going to be "inconvenient" to quarantine these people, but really, what other choice is there? Again, self-monitoring isn't working.

Yea, inconvenience for a small number of people for only 21 days does seem like a much better approach than tracking down 800 or so people and inconveniencing them as well. Restricting any travel for 21 days is not too much to ask of the relatively few people that were in direct contact with Duncan.

The mishandling of this has caused a lot of grief and concern that did not need to happen.

I am a bit confused by the Nina video in her hospital bed. The guy speaking during the video says thanks for being a part of the ' volunteer' team, right? Does that mean that nurses at Presby were not scheduled to tend for Duncan but instead they allowed them to volunteer since maybe some did not want that task? If I missed that part a billion pages ago, I am sorry and TIA !

I haven't seen it discussed, but I took it to mean that they probably put the team together to work on Duncan by asking for volunteers. So the people that were working with him were willing to take on the challenge and risk, rather than just forcing a team of people that may not have wanted that challenge. Once the team of volunteers was put together, a schedule and routine was set for that special team of care givers.

"She is deemed by CDC to be very low risk. At this time, the guest remains in isolation on board the ship and is not deemed to be a risk to any guests or crew. It is important to reiterate that the individual has no symptoms and has been isolated in an extreme abundance of caution. We are in close contact with the CDC and at this time it has been determined that the appropriate course of action is to simply keep the guest in isolation on board."

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/...aboard-cruise-ship-other-passengers-stranded/

Why yes I do! Could be a great little cottage industry except jumpsuits would be a pain to sew. Maybe there will be a market for tyvek ponchos? Those would be quick and easy. :)

For Joe Schmoes I would think any type of plastic or waterproof material that could be doused in disinfectant before removal would work okay as a general precaution.

Excellent idea. Even I could probably manage to sew a Tyvek poncho:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3