Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
President of American Nurses Association saying in effect that nurses should continue to be submissive and managers should sit with them and hear their concerns. But, nurses should continue to provide care. The ANA has always been biased toward the management side of issues. They do absolutely nothing for nurses on the front line. I have never been a member of that group and never will.

Isn't that the truth, and the State Board of Nursing is just as bad, imo. A few years ago, I thought I'd give it one more shot and went back, worked for a very short time in a hospital. It didn't take long, I left and said I'd never go back. The bureaucratic red tape , the appalling level of political correctness, the exploitation of the nurses by the management, the low moral among the nursing staff. I walked away and never looked back. Retired, am so thankful.

Wow. The move of Nina Pham speaks volumes. In no way is Presby capable of taking care of Ebola patients. It pains me to admit it but the truth is the truth.

I feel bad for her. Can't help but to feel bad.

especially when she is going to be penalized for doing the right thing, while we see people everyday behaving in the most self-serving and deplorable ways and they face no consequences. SMH

Wow. The move of Nina Pham speaks volumes. In no way is Presby capable of taking care of Ebola patients. It pains me to admit it but the truth is the truth.

Keep in mind their entire critical care staff is likely still in isolation/quarantine

Im glad she is going to 1 of the 4 centers that seem more well equipped.

I do have some questions for the Texas facility though.

1- What is the official reason why they are moving her now?
2- If the answer to #1 is the place is more well equipped to handle, then why wait so long to move her?

EDIT: Thanks everyone. The answer is lack of staffing

I totally agree with others that ANY new patients with this dreaded disease should go immediately to 1 of the 4 centers. The logical reason is to isolate any cases to a minimal number of facilities. There is no need whatsoever to spread people all over the country to regular hospitals, when there are 4 that are specialized for this.

I fully realize that if our number of cases ever gets to be way too many, then we may have to go to other hospitals, but at this point, there is no need to do that.

Also, this gives all regular hospitals time to prepare and begin to make sure they can be ready if needed.
It is imperitive that we learn from this recent disaster at Texas and honest information needs to be shared to all other hospitals so that they can properly prepare.

A few dates to keep in mind.

Thomas Duncan was apparently infected when he helped a neighbor on September 15. Nine days later on September 24 he started showing symptoms of the Ebola and was admitted to the hospital on September 28. The first symptoms of Ebola show up between 2 and 21 days from infection, but most typically around 8 to 10 days. The window for patients exposed when Duncan was outside the hospital will expire on October 19, but we are past the typical time for symptoms to appear. Duncan died on October 8, the window for health care staff infected during Duncan's treatment will close on October 29. The time after infection when patients start to show symptoms follows a bell curve. The good news is that it gets less likely every day that we will find another civilian infected by Duncan before he was isolated.

Nina Pham was placed in isolation on October 10. She was directly involved in Duncan's care, but we don't know for certain exactly when she was infected. On October 31, the window for civilians exposed before she was isolated will close.

Amber Vinson was placed in isolation on October 14. She was also directly involved in treating Duncan. The window for civilians exposed before she was isolated will close on November 4. Amber was transferred to Emory in Atlanta on October 15, her case no longer poses a risk to workers at the Texas hospital.

There are reports that infection control measures used at Texas Health Presbyterian were lax. Two infected health care workers are the result. So far there is no indication that Ebola has spread beyond health care workers directly involved in treating Duncan. This makes sense if you understand the progression of the disease. There is less risk being around a patient in the early stages of the disease. Health care workers in Texas who are treating Nina Pham are still at risk. In hindsight, it would have been better to send her to Emory. But at this point, she is probably too fragile to survive the trip.

If additional cases are discovered, they should be sent to a hospital with special facilities like Emory.

Thanks Footwarrior! You gave me an idea before we move on...

We have a lot of really skilled folks here who can create visuals. Is there anyone who might be interested in adding these dates to the calendar to keep up? The visuals are so much easier for me to read/understand. Know we do with cases on WS, just wondering aloud.

ebola.JPG

Absolutely not. I would be afraid that if I didn't already have it, they would give it to me through their incompetence. I would self-isolate and self-monitor. I absolutely would not go out in public nor expose myself to anyone else for the duration of the incubation period, but I would not put my trust in the so-called experts nor place my life in their hands. So far, they have not done anything to justify a belief that they would deal with the situation safely.

The problem with this is that you would have to keep it entirely to yourself, because if word got out (you tell someone in confidence, they tell someone...), someone would freak out and call and report you.

JMO ~

I love that calendar visual too. When I first saw a calendar with the dates for Duncan, it really showed how quick you can die from the point of getting sick. The speed of this disease is just amazing.

Anybody have a link for the Cspan event with Friedman that is supposed to happen at noon? For some reason, I can't find it.

Isn't there a hearing going on right now on Capital Hill featuring Tom Friedman? I'm at work and can't check so if anyone knows if there are any significant details on this ease report. Thanks

What is NIH stand for? Is that the same place as "Emory" or one of the other 4 centers?

Just on CNN, NIH is National Institute of Health in Maryland. I hope she is still doing better. Whoa!

I would not be surprised if Presby closes down it's ICU entirely, at least temporarily. With probably the majority of it's staff on quarantine now.

Hypothetical Question for the posters here:

Let's imagine this situation gets out of hand and outbreaks DO occur in various areas. Imagine the authorities send out a bulletin saying there was possible exposure to ebola at an event in your community, an event YOU attended (movie theater, car show, you paid cash and are untraceable) and they ask that EVERYONE that attended identify themselves so that those folks could be put in gov run isolation for "your own safety".

Would you identify yourself? Or would you wait and see if you showed symptoms? Would you TRUST the authorities at this point?

Trust the authorities? :scared: Have you read Stephen King's "The Stand", or seen the miniseries? Well just call me Stu Redman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member