Ebola outbreak - general thread #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
??? have no idea ??? Hopefully Dallas will see to their needs so that nobody will starve to death. He said people will be checking in with each of these folks each day.

One of the 2x daily temperature checks is face to face. That's a lot of people. moo

Sean Kaufmann on CNN now. He was in charge of Brantley's care. He slammed the CDC earlier today in the NYT. He just called the CDC irresponsible and dead wrong

Good, glad someone in the higher up had the balls to call 'em out. They are being misleading and in turn leading their health care workers to just have faith in some old medical data that has been proven inaccurate in more recent years.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...s-wouldn-t-get-test-drugs-in-u-dot-s-dot-plan

Bloomberg News
Some in Ebola Trials Wouldn’t Get Test Drugs in U.S. Plan
By Anna Edney and Michelle Fay Cortez October 16, 2014

U.S. health officials want some patients to forgo potentially life-saving Ebola treatments when they’re being tested so researchers can compare their response to those who get the medicines, said an official involved in the discussions.

Some experimental drugs have already been used on an emergency basis. In a formal trial, the U.S. wants one group of patients to get the treatments and a second to get only standard supportive care, said the official, who asked not to be identified because the person isn’t authorized to speak on the record. Supportive care includes replacing fluids and using medicines to fight off other infections.

The Food and Drug Administration oversees trials that generate data for approval of medical products. Many of the Ebola trials may be done in Western Africa, where an outbreak has killed more than 4,400 in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

I too, agree with other posters regarding body temp being this big hallmark, and start time of clock. There are so many variables - we could go to the store, buy three diff thermomterd and get three diff readings. That is commn sense!

For some reason (to give the public the notion that there is some control?) I think its like grabbing at straws at this point. The CDC now wanting to talk to the outgoing flight - I just think they are so confused, and so in CYA mode that it is just gonna keep going out of control

Body Temp:

depends upon the place in the body at which the measurement is made, the time of day, as well as the activity level of the person. Different parts of the body have different temperatures

inside the body cavity, are typically slightly higher than oral measurements, and oral measurements are somewhat higher than skin temperature.

a wide range of temperatures has been found in healthy people.[SUP][4]

lower temperatures in the morning and higher temperatures in the late afternoon and evening, as the body's needs and activities change

core body temperature of an individual tends to have the lowest value in the second half of the sleep cycle; the lowest point, called the nadir, is one of the primary markers for circadian rhythms. The body temperature also changes when a person is hungry, sleepy, or cold.

An early morning temperature higher than 37.2 °C (> 98.9 °F) or a late afternoon temperature higher than 37.7 °C (> 99.9 °F) is normally considered a fever

temperature is elevated due to a change in the hypothalamus's setpoint.

Core temperature is normally maintained within a narrow range so that essential enzymatic reactions can occur. Significant core temperature elevation (hyperthermia) or depression (hypothermia) that is prolonged for more than a brief period of time is incompatible with human life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_body_temperature

[/SUP]

Thanks for reminding me of that fact. I'm still not happy with the fact that my dh attended a meeting tonight with a woman who just returned from Africa. Apparently, she was not in an affected area, but who knows who she came in contact with, while there, and on her way back here? I wish she would have just stayed home. And, frankly, I'm kind of p!$$ed that she didn't, given what's going on. Just to keep the calm.

Anyone in the entire continent of Africa? Really? Sorry, but I completely disagree - Do you realize how huge the continent of Africa is? 53 countries, including the island nations of Cape Verde, São Tomé and Príncipe, Madagascar, the Comoros, the Seychelles, and Mauritius. Talk about broad brush strokes...

JMO ~

IMO this is incredibly interesting, especially if all the links are read in full...

https://www.pehub.com/2011/02/chimerix-scores-barda-funding/

REUTERS
PE HUB
Chimerix Scores BARDA Funding

BY PEHUB ADMINISTRATOR
FEBRUARY 16, 2011

Just two days after its most recent and biggest fundraising, VC-backed pharmaceutical company Chimerix Inc. has locked in millions more in the form of a federal contract. The Biomedical Advanced Research & Development Authority (BARDA) has committed funding of $24.8 million to a medical treatment of smallpox, which could grow to more than $80 million in federal funding.

The funding from BARDA builds upon the $37 million Chimerix previously received from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for development of CMX001 for smallpox, in addition to substantial private investment from top-tier venture capital firms for the development of CMX001 as a treatment for other life-threatening infections such as adenovirus and cytomegalovirus.
As part of progressing the clinical and non-clinical development of CMX001 for the smallpox indication, the BARDA contract will also support expanded human safety trials and the recently initiated CMX001-350 multicenter, open-label clinical study of CMX001 for the treatment of twelve life-threatening or serious conditions caused by dsDNA viruses. This represents Chimerix’s first contract with BARDA and will position CMX001 for possible procurement as a medical countermeasure for the Strategic National Stockpile.

~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/procs/b73/DiseaseChapters/B73Smallpox.pdf

Acute Communicable Disease Control Manual (B-73)
REVISION—MARCH 2011
SMALLPOX

4. Reservoir: Officially, only in designated laboratory repositories in USA and Russia. Humans are the only natural host.

OUTBREAK DEFINITION

A single case of smallpox is a public health emergency and warrants an immediate investigation, in consultation with ACDC.

~~~~~~~~~~

http://wraltechwire.com/durham-based-chimerix-speeds-up-ebola-testing/14085515/

Updated Oct. 16, 2014 at 2:45 p.m.
Durham-based Chimerix speeds up Ebola testing
By WRAL TechWire

Chimerix says it is working with the FDA to develop a trial protocol for testing in patients who are confirmed to have Ebola. The FDA already approved an investigational new drug (IND) application, an essential step in the review process.

Brincidofovir tablets "are available for immediate use in clinical trials," the company said Thursday.

Thomas Duncan received the drug but died in Dallas.

Journalist Ashoka Mukpo is being treated in Nebraska.

Brincidofovir has shown potential results against Ebola in tests run by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

"Frankly, we've known about the potency of Brincidofovir against the Ebola virus for a little over six weeks," said Chimerix CEO Michelle Berrey in the presentation to analysts.

"We want to do our part first to determine if there is a role for Brincidofovir, we do have emergency INDs that are currently in place and we do have a protocol that is under review at the FDA to be finalized under a new IND by the end of this week. We are working to identify the key hospitals, the key medical centers where we believe that protocol should be implemented where we know they have adequate training; they have adequate facilities to be caring for individual who are confirmed to be infected with Ebola virus and to our appropriate candidates for Brincidofovir."

Triangle firm BioCryst and drug giant GlaxoSmithKline also have treatments under development.

(The Associated Press contributed to this story.)

~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.chimerix.com/c/discovery-clinical-trials/brincidofovir.php

Brincidofovir (CMX001)

Chimerix's lead product candidate, brincidofovir, has the potential to be the first broad-spectrum antiviral for the prevention and treatment of clinically significant infections caused by DNA viruses. Brincidofovir is an oral nucleotide analog that has shown in vitro antiviral activity against all five families of DNA viruses that affect humans, including cytomegalovirus (CMV), adenovirus (AdV), BK virus and herpes simplex viruses. Brincidofovir has shown a favorable safety and tolerability profile, with no evidence of kidney or bone marrow toxicity in nearly 900 patients dosed to date.

Thanks for reminding me of that fact. I'm still not happy with the fact that my dh attended a meeting tonight with a woman who just returned from Africa. Apparently, she was not in an affected area, but who knows who she came in contact with, while there, and on her way back here? I wish she would have just stayed home. And, frankly, I'm kind of p!$$ed that she didn't, given what's going on. Just to keep the calm.

Would that be kind of like not going to a meeting etc if there is someone there who just came from Texas? Or better yet, came from Oklahoma? Same country but totally different area.

Mayor of Dallas was just on CNN and said he has implemented new guidelines for the 50 odd people who had contact with Duncan - they are not allowed to go out into public - no grocery stores, no church, no school, etc. Let me go fetch a link.

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/?iref=allsearch

I am glad they are doing this since it seems they can't be trusted to use their common sense and stay isolated. jmo

Only reservoirs known are USA & Russia. No outbreaks noted yet several million/billion spent on a research contract 3 years ago? Ebola comes to America, no proper protocol is in place except for some outdated chit, all of a sudden the FDA approves trial use for Brincidofovir? I guess we're all just lucky they were already working on this, even though it started out as a remedy for smallpox that hasn't popped up here for years and years and years - except in the notion of a bio terror attack. So is something being kept from us? Can't help but wonder...

There is somewhat of an irony here as it relates to the hospital offerring staff (PR) to take a suite at their hotel! It is even crazier in that the invitation has been extended to HCW, a educated group of folk, which in all liklihood would know, this probably, if my body may soon be fighting something,is not the best place to sleep where in the liklihood of running into folks who have been near body fluids. Mayor said CNN dozens have taken the offer - has anyone heard anything ?

CNN Myaor offerered the people a hotel room . well they better do it in top secret mode, with all the hysteria, if a hotel knew they probably would not let them stay

Just spiraling,,,

And I think the nurse on cnn is not being realistic, they may not fire her but they can make her life miserable - and in all liklihhod a lot of the admin types would enjoy doing just that

Doctors are also going to have issues with her chatting wiht ANderson -- cause in the model we endorse, ultimatly the docs should have spoke up about the conditions - so it sheds them in a bad light.

Any of us who served in a healthcare setting KNOW docs can make someones life diffiuclt. She alslo understandably, appears pretty stressed, and might benefit from some PAID time off!

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...s-wouldn-t-get-test-drugs-in-u-dot-s-dot-plan

Bloomberg News
Some in Ebola Trials Wouldn’t Get Test Drugs in U.S. Plan
By Anna Edney and Michelle Fay Cortez October 16, 2014

I have a huge issue with this! If DC's are distributing their drug under the animal rule, than that company should not be able to utilize this crisis; the crisis that enabled them to get approval by the FDA, under the Animal Rule in the first place, to conduct a typical quantitative study. IMO, if you've got it, you give it, and you can utilize the outcome information gained from that but to withhold potential live-saving treatment in/during an outbreak is unethical. This is BS!

http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2014/10/ebola_patient_amber_vinson_vis.html

AKRON, Ohio -- Ebola patient Amber Joy Vinson was in Tallmadge planning her own wedding this weekend and shopped for bridesmaid dresses at a bridal shop in Akron; now her fiancé of three months is self-monitoring for Ebola symptoms in Dallas.

The fiancé, who lives in Texas, called his workplace and told them he had been around Vinson before she got sick, according to WFAA Television in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay