Ebola outbreak - general thread #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we really want to play the "better than" game?

That is unacceptable as are the lies. There is NO logical reason to do that to Bentley and it should not be tolerated or excused, it makes no sense and needs to be called out just as so many other things do.

Since when do we compare ourselves to the lowest common denominator?

When they tried to get a sterile urine sample from my cat, he had to sit in a cage for several days. I guess I should have told them this was unacceptable. And my cat didn't possibly have Ebola.
If you go to a shelter, they have dogs sitting in cages for long periods of time.
Is that unacceptable?

When they tried to get a sterile urine sample from my cat, he had to sit in a cage for several days. I guess I should have told them this was unacceptable. And my cat didn't possibly have Ebola.

Cats don't get urinary infections that need testing for Ebola. And I have NEVER had a cat or dog kept for several days to get a urine sample. They can use a needle. Never had that happen either but several DAYS to get a urine sample and they are waiting around for that?

Several days without passing urine means death in most cases, that is some very very serious stuff.

Yes I would tell my vet it was unacceptable, sheesh if they said they had to hold them for several hours I would say that.

Cat's don't get urinary infections from Ebola. And I have NEVER have a cat or dog kept for several days to get a urinary sample. They can use a needle. Never had that happen either but several DAYS to get a urine sample and they are waiting around for that?

Several days without passing urine means death in most cases.

He was passing urine left and right (peeing everywhere). They kept him at the clinic in a cage so they could get a sample from him using a needle, but every time they would try he just peed on the table so they never did get a sterile sample out of him.
He isn't dead. He is very much alive. I put him on special urinary cat food.

:silenced:
That's as long as I can be quiet.

So the CDC's definition quarantining Duncan's family really meant don't go out in public too much.
Nigeria and Senegal stopped the spread of ebola in their countries by QUARANTINING the people who were potentially exposed. Jmo

[h=2]uar·an·tine[/h] noun \ˈkwȯr-ən-ˌtēn, ˈkwär-\: the period of time during which a person or animal that has a disease or that might have a disease is kept away from others to prevent the disease from spreading
: the situation of being kept away from others to prevent a disease from spreading

That's as long as I can be quiet.

So the CDC's definition quarantining Duncan's family really meant don't go out in public too much.
Nigeria and Senegal stopped the spread of ebola in their countries by QUARANTINING the people who were potentially exposed. Jmo

[h=2]uar·an·tine[/h] noun \ˈkwȯr-ən-ˌtēn, ˈkwär-\: the period of time during which a person or animal that has a disease or that might have a disease is kept away from others to prevent the disease from spreading
: the situation of being kept away from others to prevent a disease from spreading

Even Spain (which screwed up by bringing Ebola patients in, and then not diagnosing Ebola in the nurse for a week) put the contacts in a hospital rather then asking them to monitor themselves at home.
And the most mind boggling thing is that second nurse was allowed to travel by plane (even after she already had a fever).
That's just criminal, in my opinion.

The Mister just asked why they didn't put Bentley in with his master. Good thinking, in my opinion. And, I craved corndogs with my first son, they are delicious!

The Mister just asked why they didn't put Bentley in with his master. Good thinking, in my opinion. And, I craved corndogs with my first son, they are delicious!

Because dogs don't belong in a human hospital for highly infectious patients? Because dog might have not been exposed to the virus, so putting him in with the Nurse could expose him?
If she had a child, who was showing no symptoms, would anybody put the child in the room with her? Obviously not.
The child would have been quarantined separately. And so is the dog.

I had the same thought on the two (2) nurses, why not put them in together. jmo idk If they both have what can happen.

I had the same thought on the two (2) nurses, why not put them in together. jmo idk If they both have what can happen.

I don't think it's advisable to allow them to be exposed to extra doses of the virus from each other.

Oh snap, Breaking News *** woman on ebola watch list falls in at DART station ........

http://ux.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/18/ebola-dart-station-dallas-monitoring/17503345/

""the person fell ill with a low-grade fever at the station in Northeast Dallas after deciding that her quarantine period was over."""

After SHE ? decided this ? :please: let this be a low grade fever from some other bug.......

Uh oh...

....the person fell ill with a low-grade fever at the station in Northeast Dallas after deciding that her quarantine period was over.

ETA: OMG, really I need to just step away from the keyboard as I didn't see that Schmae had already bolded above. Off to make some instant coffee.

DART is Dallas Area Rapid Transit ,, the local bus service for Dallas. Just FYI

ETA Apparently this was the Rail,, Dart has bus and train service now.

Tried font----- after cut and paste wont change - again not shouting!
To be honest I could not and would not abide by it for many reasons:

Core belief, fact supported, history supported, no known case in 4 decades wherein everyone who has contracted it, has been in contact with fluids of either bush meat or humans, Every case. The notion and conclusion that body fluids are keen – is true.

IN addition I have some issues with cavil liberties here. If a tanker car details and clouds of smoke fill the air they have the “right” to request evacuation. In hurricanes, in an area guaranteed to get hit 72 hours out, legally they can not force someone to leave their premises.

So much of this just ignores social behaviors. I have never, except in alcohol related stuff(!) seen anyone just start barfing in public – honest. In reality even in the alcohol context, in most instances, even then most try to get away from others. It is social training, IMO. Started from birth.

If Had ever had the experience, in public, most strangers would not to running toward someone who is puking. Just a social norm. Since HIV, same could be said for a stranger bleeding all over. Folks flee as opposed to moving forward. I have never had someone come up and try to spit in my face, cough in my eyes, vomit or bleed all over me. Same with urinating on defecating on me. Media gives this notion that people who need to sit on a toilet every 10 minutes are taking in a movie, doing errands etc. It makes no sense. Same with folks feeling nauseated, I have never felt like being out in either condition!

These folks are profoundly ill and weak and exhausted. They need help taking care of body functions.
They are not out and about because they cant do it.

Again, social behaviors, in grocery store environments humans tend to have unconscious behaviors about giving one another space. I mean standing in canned goods aisle, someone else comes near, we tend to desperate away from people so they can look for and get what they are there for. Grocery shopping is not an intimate behavior. Same is true with the carts, we tend to get out of one another way. Nor is standing in a line to pay – we tend to stay more than three feet apart. Social custom. Violation of physical boundary. IN fact if you notice “standing in line” behaviors, wither way, of one gets to close, or we feel as if we are, we in fact, without knowing it arrange ourselves in a different space without knowing it or thinking about it.

IMO That is why elevators are such a fascinating entity behaviorally.

We are civilized (well that is becoming more questionable!) , in a public place we tend not to look people in the face, move closer, and cough “on” some stranger. In fact we do the opposite- social behaviors.

Same with sneezing, in most instances we tend to cover mount, put head down. Covering mouth would reduce it. Have a tissue. They created this image of people coughing or sneezing, blowing discharging Gail force winds propelling tremendous amounts of “wind” soaring from our orifices!

So if we go with the notion, that a cough to do so, the time frame of the illness, clearly, is when there is more viral loading. The more viral loading there is, the sicker the person, limiting mobility. Same can be said of in the beginning of the cycle. A lot less viral load, even if transmission were possible, those body fluid, at that time in the progression, are in fact less concentrated in the fluids, which means someone would half to stand there and repeatedly cough in your face, or sneeze on you. Who is gonna stand there if some random pe4rson approaches and starts sneezing upon you – anyone standing still?

JMO

Haven't read yet, but looks like it will be a good story about the Duncan family quarantine:

Life in Quarantine for Ebola Exposure: 21 Days of Fear and Loathing

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/u...la-exposure-21-days-of-fear-and-loathing.html

ETA, looks like it is about different people in quarantine.

"Fell Ill" with a low grade fever...... Do people really notice when a low grade fever creeps up ? I find this fishy . She's only at a Dart station , presumably , for a short time, so exactly how low grade is the fever and exactly when did it come on and how does that make you ' fall ill' and was she waiting to get on a bus or between routes and had already been on one?

Oh snap, Breaking News *** woman on ebola watch list falls in at DART station ........

http://ux.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/18/ebola-dart-station-dallas-monitoring/17503345/

""the person fell ill with a low-grade fever at the station in Northeast Dallas after deciding that her quarantine period was over."""

After SHE ? decided this ? :please: let this be a low grade fever from some other bug.......

Yikes.
Did she have other symptoms in addition to low grade fever? Because I don't understand as to how she would discover she had this fever while at the station? One normally doesn't measure ones temperature in public places.

"Fell Ill" with a low grade fever...... Do people really notice when a low grade fever creeps up ? I find this fishy . She's only at a Dart station , presumably , for a short time, so exactly how low grade is the fever and exactly when did it come on and how does that make you ' fall ill' and was she waiting to get on a bus or between routes and had already been on one?

I agree. I don't buy this unless she had other symptoms.

Haven't read yet, but looks like it will be a good story about the Duncan family quarantine:

Life in Quarantine for Ebola Exposure: 21 Days of Fear and Loathing

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/19/u...la-exposure-21-days-of-fear-and-loathing.html

ETA, looks like it is about different people in quarantine.

This is just horrible and scary!

In Payson, Ariz., paranoia ignited after word spread that a missionary who had traveled to Liberia on a church trip was spending three weeks under a self-imposed quarantine with his wife and four children. The missionary, Allen Mann, strung yellow caution tape and a “No Trespassing” sign around his front door and left a bucket in the yard for neighbors to drop off food and treats for his children.

While most neighbors understood there was scant risk that Mr. Mann, 41, had carried the disease home, rumors nevertheless coursed around town that he had tested positive for Ebola and would soon be medically evacuated. Mr. Mann said an anonymous commentator on a local news website had suggested burning down his house.

I can't even begin to imagine living with the knowledge that you may come down with this dreadful disease for 3+ weeks, but then also to have people shun you, possibly lose your job, and even have to move because of it....even if you never actually contract the disease!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay