Ebola outbreak - general thread #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lordy..."No connection with the outside world except my iPhone".

Oh and CNN Headline is "My basic human rights are being violated".

That SPIN is beyond belief, she is very well spoken for being so "mistreated", she should be a speech writer instead of a nurse.

That is just....LOL....and HER HUMAN RIGHTS BEING VIOLATED which she shares with the world on her iPHONE!

She works for the CDC. That's where she gets her talking points.

Indeed. IMO quarantine falls under the "suck it up, buttercup" rule once it's in place, though as I mentioned

"Suck it up" is exactly what the head vet at A&M said about Bentley (and then that changed).

Guess that is a term that some scientists/epidemiologists are fond of. Unless of course it violates "human rights" and such. LOL.

If someone wants to file a "human rights complaint" I say make the complaint/charges legitimate and show them what it means.

I'm sorry, you go over to help, I commend the ones that do, They have to think of us over here when they come back, I support the 21 day quarantine.

I guess if they don't want to be quarantined, they don't have to go. They could always find a little free clinic that are always understaffed right here. probably 80 percent safe of not getting a contagious diese. I think the ones that volunteer overseas, should have to put so many hours of volunteer here too. ( i'm sure most do) I know the poor girl that runs our free clinic has a rough time trying to staff doctors, basically just for med check ups blood pressure, blood thinners, sugar

She actually is in a tent. And there is no shower. I'd go crazy if I couldn't shower for 3 weeks.

Whoa! This is just insane! Is there no one around there who remembers how to quarantine people? It hasn't been that long ago that quarantines were the only way we had to control diseases that are far more contagious than Ebola, and it wasn't by putting people in tents.

I'm in utter disbelieve ... shaking my head.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe someone posted several pages up thread that some nurses from Dallas Presbyterian would be interviewed tonight on 60 Minutes. Of course, it will probably turn into a spin on what great service the hospital provides. However, it might be interesting to watch. I will be watching in 1 1/2 hours............that is if a football game doesn't delay broadcast.

How about the usa quarantine people traveling from those countries to here for 3 weeks. Yeah that's right you get on a plane from the infected country and you are told that you will be quarantined upon arrival for 3 weeks just to be sure. That should fix it. jmo idk

I'm sorry, you go over to help, I commend the ones that do, They have to think of us over here when they come back, I support the 21 day quarantine.

I guess if they don't want to be quarantined, they don't have to go. They could always find a little free clinic that are always understaffed right here. probably 80 percent safe of not getting a contagious diese. I think the ones that volunteer overseas, should have to put so many hours of volunteer here too. ( i'm sure most do) I know the poor girl that runs our free clinic has a rough time trying to staff doctors, basically just for med check ups blood pressure, blood thinners, sugar

I agree with the quarantine too. They go over to try to save lives but when it comes to making sure nothing gets spread here they do not worry. Maybe not keep the volunteers out as long so the 21 quarantine is also included in their time away from home. Just like the Dr he came back monitored himself and then got sick. Now they have to monitor those who were around him instead of just monitoring him. Then if one of them catch it then they have to monitor those who came in contact with that person. Its insane. Those who go over to fight this virus should also be willing to do what it takes to fit the virus on home turf as well. The tent more then likely is a temporary place for her till they can place her somewhere else. They had just made the 21 day quarantine when she came back. I'm sure there are still bumps in all this planning. Either way she should be willing to tough it out a bit longer being away from home.

Whoa! This is just insane! Is there no one around there who remembers how to quarantine people? It hasn't been that long ago that quarantines were the only way we had to control diseases that are far more contagious than Ebola, and it wasn't by putting people in tents.

I'm in utter disbelieve ... shaking my head.

Actually in the early part of the last century, people suffering from tuberculosis were often sent to live in tents. But there was a reason, it was thought that fresh air would be good for their lungs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tub...IBQ&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1600&bih=699#imgdii=_

She had two negative tests and no symptoms, so there is no reason why she couldn't be quarantined in her own home with her husband who is quarantined there too. My goodness, she should be treated like a hero for the work she did fighting Ebola. And, she knows far more about Ebola than all the state politicians put together ... and furthermore ... if Ebola comes to town, she may well be be on the the frontline medical team, if she's not so p-oed that she hands in her nursing badge, so to speak. Let her be quarantined at home.

I guess if they don't want to be quarantined, they don't have to go.

If someone leaves NOW, then "quarantine for 21 days on return" is something they have to consider.

But pertaining to Kaci, that's not a very compelling argument, since that wasn't part of real life when she chose to go to Africa to help. In fact, it wasn't even part of the equation when she got on the plane back to the US. She gets off the plane and they more or less lock her up for 21 days, with little-to-no explanation. She's done nothing illegal, and she's not sick. It's understandable why she would feel violated in having her liberty taken away.

None of the people that Mr. Duncan interacted with before he was isolated caught the disease. Two nurses caught the disease from Mr. Duncan, but they were directly involved in caring for him in the later highly infectious stage of the disease.

What has been spreading is irrational fear.

None of the people that Mr. Duncan interacted with before he was isolated caught the disease. Two nurses caught the disease from Mr. Duncan, but they were directly involved in caring for him in the later highly infectious stage of the disease.

What has been spreading is irrational fear.

That is because the family isolated themselves from him.

That is because the family isolated themselves from him.

Mr. Duncan interacted with 48 or so people after he began showing symptoms (first symptoms 9/24, went to ER 9/26, admitted 9/28) . If this nurse is such a threat to society in the 90 minutes or so it would take her to get to a hospital after showing symptoms, why hasn't SOMEONE who interacted with Mr. Duncan after he began showing symptoms gotten ill? If they are a raging public health threat immediately upon experiencing symptoms (or even beforehand as many are asserting), then we should have seen multiple other people getting sick from being around him in his early stages.

as we have seen that does not work, they go out.

hypothetical scenario (maybe I write this and it wont happen) I pull in the gas station, pump my gas. 5 days later. its on the news person that came back has ebola systoms. of course the video of the gas station sees me using the pump right after they did. I am sure I am 99 percent safe, but as we know everybody thinks. My husband works for the public schools, they will not want him around the students, I will not be able to go to work. I will be stuck. who is going to pay me my lost wages. I don't think it going to hurt them to stay quarantined. they are just setting this up, I sure things will get better. and as i said before my dad has low immune because of a heart transplant. He has to worry, it just not fair. I am glad they are helping but they have to help us too.

Mr. Duncan interacted with 48 or so people after he began showing symptoms (first symptoms 9/24, went to ER 9/26, admitted 9/28) . If this nurse is such a threat to society in the 90 minutes or so it would take her to get to a hospital after showing symptoms, why hasn't SOMEONE who interacted with Mr. Duncan after he began showing symptoms gotten ill? If they are a raging public health threat immediately upon experiencing symptoms (or even beforehand as many are asserting), then we should have seen multiple other people getting sick from being around him in his early stages.

He is one person. You can't assume that the same will happen every time. We know in Africa family members gotten sick being around Ebola patients.

Spencer is not allowed to go to work at Columbia for 21 days post last exposure to an ebola patient. If they don't want him around their people, I don't want him around either.

He is one person. You can't assume that the same will happen every time. We know in Africa family members gotten sick being around Ebola patients.

Heavy sarcasm here................we could just nuke Western Africa & no one would have to be scared any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member