Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Actually, back in August I brainstormed the degree of personal concern I'd feel at each stage of this outbreak. (As opposed to a more general concern for the suffering of Africa.)

I felt cheerfully unconcerned about any danger from the people they were bringing back for treatment.

First stage of concern was going to be when someone came back from Africa, not knowing that they had been infected with it, and had to be diagnosed from scratch. That was Duncan.

Second stage of concern was going to be when someone who hadn't left this country caught it here. That was Nina Pham.

Third stage of concern: if it showed any signs of spreading beyond the initial realization that there's a problem. That was Nina Pham and Amber Vinson--by golly, I wasn't expecting us to let medical personnel catch it from a patient known to have it! But, it starts to look as though we've got our act back together. And also, the fact that Duncan's hosts didn't catch it was immensely reassuring, and surprising. So, I've cooled back to second stage of concern.

Fourth stage of concern: if anyone in this country gets it and they can't figure out the source of the infection.

Fifth stage of concern: if so many people catch it that figuring out the source of the infection is hopeless or pointless.

Sixth stage of concern, aka red alert: if the fourth or fifth stage is happening in my county, or if someone I know is under quarantine.

I expected the first and second stages to happen. I expected the third to happen, but maybe it won't, if we get serious about disease control. I really don't expect the fourth and fifth to happen.

Anyone else want to comment on their feelings?

Excellent & thoughtful reply to my post. Thank you!

"I think what we're seeing is a catastrophic health crisis in West Africa, and an epidemic of fear here," Fauci said. "I don't disrespect that fear, and I don't criticize it. But you've got to evaluate your risk and relative risk based on scientific evidence."
I think some good thoughts here:

But whether overblown or entirely too mild, fear is a factor public health officials have to consider as part of the job of responding to disease. "You have to respect the fear of people," Fauci said. "You can't denigrate it and say, 'Why are you afraid?' You've got to try and explain to them."
http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...ic-of-fear-ebola-in-the-united-states/382158/

Oh, I wanted to ask something regarding your post: You stated 4 deaths here in the US. Did you mean 4 cases and 1 death? I wanted to clarify!

Ok Gitana....1death, 4 cases of infected: but my broader question remains.
There are reasons why our culture is fearful & mistrusting.
There are reasons that our culture knows the power of propaganda, cover ups, spin doctors.
We have seen it all.

1 - Magic number is "when you try to penalize ME because you are scared of something that can't hurt you"
2 - When your irrational and baseless fear tries to strip away freedom, then that's when anyone has the right to tell you to get over it <modsnip>

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Of course my questions are asked as to generate conversation & thoughtful debate.
Your ending of "grow up" seems a tad snarky and may prevent others from posting honest & thoughtful responses, no?

We're almost there!!!!!!!!!!!! November 7th is the date when all Texas people on ebola watch will be cleared.

We're almost there!!!!!!!!!!!! November 7th is the date when all Texas people on ebola watch will be cleared.

True, and those are the contacts of Nina and Amber, not Mr. Duncan. From what we have been able to learn, neither Nina nor Amber experienced the level of illness and copius unmanageable body fluids the unfortunate Mr. Duncan experienced, so hopefully all of those HCW and contacts remain healthy.

"Some health care professional expressed concern about why Dr Spencer did not seek treatment earlier as they felt that he was significantly ill. "A health care worker at the hospital said that Dr. Spencer seemed very sick, and it was unclear to the medical staff why he had not gone to the hospital earlier, since his fever was high." http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/24/ny...city.html?_r=0

This health care person does not have accurate info. His fever was initially transcribed wrong. It was 100.3 not 103. I don't know who this source is. No offense to anyone but it sounds like it was a student training to be a CNA. He/she doesn't know what they're talking about.

Could you please post a link to back up your claim chipmunk regarding Spencer's fever...? TIA.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Of course my questions are asked as to generate conversation & thoughtful debate.
Your ending of "grow up" seems a tad snarky and may prevent others from posting honest & thoughtful responses, no?

nope, I will still post my honest thoughts

1. If i was treating patients, I could never come home and move right back into my house with my husband and child. I would do the same as the doctor did in my hometown, make them go to a family members house for 21 days. I just don't see the need to make them worry or myself worry.

2. I would never go out and maybe have a accident on a bike. I would be too worried about maybe falling and cutting or breaking a bone. what if I started a fever and didn't know it. I would be putting first responders at risk because I just had to ride my bike before the 21 days was over. no, I would not do that.

3. What if i go to a public restroom? I accidentally get urine on the seat and don't see it. If a kid comes in after me and sits down. I just started running a fever they say it transmitted by body fluids (Body fluids that may contain ebolaviruses include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine and semen) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola_virus_disease#Transmission

I will always honor the people that go and help and than come back here and keep us safe too. 21 days will not hurt anybody to stay indoors. I don't think i will ever change my mind. I support the 21 days

Could you please post a link to back up your claim chipmunk regarding Spencer's fever...? TIA.

From the MSF web site:
What are returned field workers instructed to do when they return?

As noted here, upon returning to the US, each MSF staff member goes through a thorough debriefing process, during which they are told they must: check their temperature two times per day; finish their regular course of malaria prophylaxis, since malaria symptoms can mimic Ebola symptoms; be aware of relevant symptoms, such as fever; stay within four hours of a hospital with isolation facilities; and immediately contact the MSF-USA office if any relevant symptoms develop.

MSF comments on the phone call placed from Dr. Craig Spencer:

In the case of Dr. Craig Spencer, when did he first report symptoms?

On the morning of October 23, when he first began to feel feverish. He called MSF&#8217;s office in New York and MSF called city health authorities.

What was his temperature when he reported it?

100.3 degrees (not 103, as was erroneously reported initially).

True, and those are the contacts of Nina and Amber, not Mr. Duncan. From what we have been able to learn, neither Nina nor Amber experienced the level of illness and copius unmanageable body fluids the unfortunate Mr. Duncan experienced, so hopefully all of those HCW and contacts remain healthy.

After giving it more thought, I made a mis-statement in my original post this morning. I had forgotten about the nurse in Austin. I should have said that all people in Dallas will be cleared on Nov. 7th. The Austin nurse still has about 2 1/2+ weeks to go.

After giving it more thought, I made a mis-statement in my original post this morning. I had forgotten about the nurse in Austin. I should have said that all people in Dallas will be cleared on Nov. 7th. The Austin nurse still has about 2 1/2+ weeks to go.

Ditto. Forgot about her as well.

CDC pulls fact sheet explaining how Ebola can be spread via sneezing

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/oct/30/cdc-pulls-ebola-sneeze-fact-sheet/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/cdc-ebola_n_6078072.html

WASHINGTON -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has quietly removed some Ebola information from its website. The changes follow claims from news outlets and conservative blogs that the agency hasn't been forthcoming about how the virus spreads, but it was not clear on Thursday afternoon whether the removal was related to the reports.

The New York Post reported Tuesday that the agency "admitted" Ebola can be contracted through casual contact with a doorknob, seemingly contrary to the CDC's insistence that Ebola is only transmissible through direct contact with bodily fluids from a person sick with the disease. The Post cited a page on the CDC's website that said Ebola spreads through droplets that can travel short distances when a sick person coughs or sneezes.

Original before scrubbing:

http://i.imgur.com/d7oSSHL.jpg

I'm in Tulsa. Did anyone hear that someone here was being monitored? Didn't tell us until tonight when the person developed a fever.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/health/tulsa-health-department-monitoring-recent-traveler-for-ebola-virus/article_aa6bc4ea-1143-597f-ac4d-c59737fe67b9.html
Tulsa Health Department monitoring recent traveler for Ebola virus
Posted: Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:21 pm | Updated: 10:47 pm, Thu Oct 30, 2014.
By SAMANTHA VICENT World Staff Writer

This article says he has malaria.
http://www.koco.com/news/tulsa-man-being-monitored-for-ebolalike-symptoms/29452382

Does anyone have the link of the Samaritan's Purse requirements that their staff isolate for 21 days post being in an ebola country? I went back and searched all the threads and can't find it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rswilliams65
Back