Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the document the court has issued a temporary order that Hickox must submit to active monitoring, coordinate her travel with public health authorities, not use commercial or public transportation, not go to any public places or workplaces, unless to receive necessary health care, maintain a 3-foot distance from other people and not leave Fort Kent without consulting public health authorities.

http://www.wmtw.com/health/maines-ebola-protocols-mean-quarantine-for-nurse/29379150

Ditto. Forgot about her as well.

I do hope that when everyone in Dallas is cleared of restrictions the panic over ebola will be reduced. I guess that is probably hoping for too much.

ClickOnDetroit.com National Breaking News

==============================
National Breaking News
==============================

Report: Maine asks court to isolate nurse who defied quarantine

Maine health officials have asked a court to limit the movements of Kaci Hickox, a nurse who defied an Ebola quarantine, according to The Associated Press.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-10-31-10-11-57

We're almost there!!!!!!!!!!!! November 7th is the date when all Texas people on ebola watch will be cleared.

..and one dog on November first iirc

:D

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

So I guess when she goes out she will have to carry a yardstick with her.

Do the people who have restraining orders with a certain foot distance requirement carry measuring tapes?

Do the people who have restraining orders with a certain foot distance requirement carry measuring tapes?

I don't know. I've never known anyone who has had a restraining order. In this instance with a power struggle going on, it might be wise. The nurse & the state of Maine are both just out to defy one another. It's all about control & power.

The ladies are definitely opposites. Typhoid is spread by not washing hands, poor hygiene. Ever nurse I know washes her/his hands 100 times a day. They usually have red, dry irritated hands from scrubbing them clean so often.

This cook was not educated. KC has no plans as far as I know to become a chef in households unless she changed professions and I missed the news.
<modsnip> that is not at ALL what I was saying. I'm sorry if you were legitimately confused by my analogy but rather it seems you are intentionally misconstruing what I was saying. I am well aware that Ebola and Typhoid Fever are not the same thing. I am equally aware that KC has no plans to become a cook.

The point I was making concerned the *attitude* of Mary and of KC and even the disregard and dismissiveness toward those trying to protect the general public. I personally see a very strong resemblance to those two in that regard. I also see a parallel between Mary's lying in order to retain her job and the infected doctor lying to officials about his travels around New York. In each case, a health care official was attempting to get information that would prevent the spread of a disease and in each case - the person lied because of their own selfish reasons. If a nurse will act like this and a doctor will lie like this - what do we think the average person flying into our country might say or do to be able to continue on their merry way?

If you don't see that or disagree with my point that is fine. But please, don't take what I was saying and try to twist it into some ridiculous statement implying that I thought the nurse might change careers to become a cook or that I don't know the difference in the two diseases. Once again, it implies that those who want to protect Americans through quarantine are just ignorant, stupid, etc. etc.

Does anyone have the link of the Samaritan's Purse requirements that their staff isolate for 21 days post being in an ebola country? I went back and searched all the threads and can't find it.

I googled it from Charlotte Observer (won't link for some reason) : "All Samaritan&#8217;s Purse staffers returning from West Africa are required to spend 21 days with &#8220;restricted public access,&#8221; which means they don&#8217;t use public transportation, avoid crowds and stay an arm&#8217;s length away from other people. They also are asked to take their temperatures four times a day."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...lows-federal-rules-on-ebola.html#.VFOypfnF_uI

An article from the WHO website about the growing number of Ebola 'survivors' and the problems they face.

http://www.who.int/features/2014/post-ebola-syndrome/en/

Not only do many of these individuals emerge from the treatment centre to find out that most (or sometimes all) of their close loved ones have died, but they have ongoing health problems too.

This bit made me so sad:

Some in the community brand them as "witches" for surviving. For many, the faces they longed to see again while lying in the Ebola ward are no longer there. Husbands, wives, children, brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers have all been carried off to unmarked graves by Ebola virus disease.

“I am learning to live a new life in the home without my husband and my 2 children. Now there is so much emptiness in the house especially at night,” said Fatimata Gaima who clung to life in the hospital desperate to get home to care for her 3-year old.

However, as she recovered, her worst fears came true. Her last child was brought to the hospital ward, tested positive for Ebola, and died a few days later.

1 - Magic number is "when you try to penalize ME because you are scared of something that can't hurt you"
2 - When your irrational and baseless fear tries to strip away freedom, then that's when anyone has the right to tell you to get over it and grow up.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Of course my questions are asked as to generate conversation & thoughtful debate.

Your ending of "grow up" seems a tad snarky and may prevent others from posting honest & thoughtful responses, no?

Actually, in the context in which it was offered, no snark at all. It wasn't a comment direct at YOU and YOUR QUESTION, instead it was addressing the approach to those who embrace IRRATIONAL fears.

We should do our best to educate them, but at some point, they have to be held to account personally, rather than be allowed to use their irrationality as a tool to imprison and harm the lives of others. <modsnip>

At the end of the day, when a person with irrational fears tries to force us to cater to those fears, that's simply selfish. They are asking us to change OUR life, because they don't understand the truth. To an extent, maybe we are willing to go along with them for a ways while we try to bring them up to speed, but eventually society is better off when they are forced to <modsnip>be "brave" about that boogeyman that really has never been a danger to them.

"This health care person does not have accurate info. [Spencer's] fever was initially transcribed wrong. It was 100.3 not 103."

Could you please post a link to back up your claim chipmunk regarding Spencer's fever...? TIA.

Don't know if you got an answer, but that fact has been reported everywhere. If you really want it, it shouldn't be too hard for you to verify if you do a quick google search.

Ebola deaths could skyrocket, Yale researchers say

Friday, October 31, 2014

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2014/10/31/ebola-deaths-could-skyrocket-yale-researchers-say/

What they are saying
"there could be as many as 170,000 cases and 90,000 deaths by Dec. 15"

Fear-mongering at its finest. Great work. Trying to negate the facts emerging, that the numbers have been going down not up, with a purely speculative "statement" asserting over-the-top calamity "could" happen. Oh, and the bottom line of the message: we need an infusion of more money to combat this wave of doom ahead. Predictable.

Actually, in the context in which it was offered, no snark at all. It wasn't a comment direct at YOU and YOUR QUESTION, instead it was addressing the approach to those who embrace IRRATIONAL fears.

We should do our best to educate them, but at some point, they have to be held to account personally, rather than be allowed to use their irrationality as a tool to imprison and harm the lives of others. Ultimately, it does come down to a need to grow up, rather than hiding under the bed running from the boogeyman, although we are certainly better to try to educate first before forcing them to accept reality.

At the end of the day, when a person with irrational fears tries to force us to cater to those fears, that's simply selfish. They are asking us to change OUR life, because they don't understand the truth. To an extent, maybe we are willing to go along with them for a ways while we try to bring them up to speed, but eventually society is better off when they are forced to <modsnip> be "brave" about that boogeyman that really has never been a danger to them.

(BBM) <modsnip> When the FACTS are that the CDC and the WHO had different protocols as late as a week ago.

They do agree on this, though - the CDC and WHO both say Ebola is characterized by a sudden onset of symptoms. So someone could be fine at 10 o'clock and vomiting on the train by noon? And when we suggest that people should stay home that is being "irrational"? When the experts have clearly gotten many things wrong, made mistakes, been unprepared, and are (according to reports) planning to bring non-citizen Ebola patients to the U.S. for treatment - I would counter that lack of concern is irrational.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back