Ebola outbreak - general thread #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Majority of people already have herpes virus so it's not possible to segregate the majority.
Thankfully Ebola doesn't appear to be infectious until symptoms appear.

She's back

Nurse Kaci Hickox who was quarantined over Ebola fears sues Christie

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nur...ined-over-ebola-fears-sues-christie-1.1438959

A nurse held for three days in quarantine at a Newark hospital last year after aiding Ebola patients in West Africa has filed suit against Governor Christie and members of his administration, saying they violated her constitutional rights by holding her against her will without due process.

She's back

Nurse Kaci Hickox who was quarantined over Ebola fears sues Christie

http://www.northjersey.com/news/nur...ined-over-ebola-fears-sues-christie-1.1438959

A nurse held for three days in quarantine at a Newark hospital last year after aiding Ebola patients in West Africa has filed suit against Governor Christie and members of his administration, saying they violated her constitutional rights by holding her against her will without due process.

Typical ignorant comments after the article about how she put society at risk, which is completely false.

Typical ignorant comments after the article about how she put society at risk, which is completely false.

Yeah, but do understand that at the beginning of this outbreak, there were many seemingly "ignorant" comments here also - that were completely false and made some :pullhair:. Go back to the first threads and perhaps fully understand that many here were not educated also (or other term... "ignorant") Yes, now folks are more understanding here and in the world at large about the disease. Thank goodness. It's come a long way as to understanding... and has a long way to go :moo:

I was involved with the leading edge of HIV/AIDS... and very very well see similarities. Again, I'll recommend reading the book "And the Band Played On". Or, even seeing the movie of the same name.

Yeah, but do understand that at the beginning of this outbreak, there were many seemingly "ignorant" comments here also - that were completely false and made some :pullhair:. Go back to the first threads and perhaps fully understand that many here were not educated also (or other term... "ignorant") Yes, now folks are more understanding here and in the world at large about the disease. Thank goodness. It's come a long way as to understanding... and has a long way to go :moo:

I was involved with the leading edge of HIV/AIDS... and very very well see similarities. Again, I'll recommend reading the book "And the Band Played On". Or, even seeing the movie of the same name.

I would have thought by now that there would be more understanding about the illness than there was at the time, but reading the comments following the article about the lawsuit, it doesn't seem so at all. And I well remember the hysteria here at WS at the time, as I participated in the thread.

" In July 2015 the World Health Organization announced a major development in the Ebola fight: preliminary results of an Ebola vaccine study in Guinea showed 100 percent effectiveness."

"At the time of the WHO team’s preliminary reporting July 31, 2015 in the journal Lancet, more than 4,000 close contacts of nearly 100 patients infected with Ebola had participated in the trial. None of the vaccinated participants developed Ebola virus disease 10 days or more after receiving the vaccine. Based on these results, the trial stopped randomizing participants to allow for all people at risk to receive the vaccine immediately."

"The trial is ongoing, as cases of Ebola remain in Guinea and Sierra Leone, Longini said. A meeting of the WHO in late October will decide when the trial will end. After the trial, the vaccine will have to be proven safe and efficacious in order to be licensed and no longer considered experimental."

"Longini said one of the challenges of this trial — and something that will benefit the response to outbreaks of other infectious diseases in the future — was to design ways to manage data in an emergency situation. This will help others implement the ring vaccination method in the outbreak of infectious diseases such as Middle Eastern respiratory virus, coronavirus, dengue, chikungunya, cholera and even pandemic influenza."

http://biostat.ufl.edu/2015/10/22/ira-longini-and-who-team-lead-breakthrough-ebola-vaccine-trial/

Ebola mobile suitcase laboratory successfully tested in Guinea Date: November 6, 2015

A new method for rapid diagnosis of Ebola has been tested in a field trial in Guinea. The test procedure was carried out using a portable suitcase laboratory. The mobile suitcase lab is operated with solar power and enables simple on-site diagnostics in remote areas without the need of an equipped laboratory. The new detection method is based on the rapid identification of viral RNA in oral swabs of infected persons at 42 degrees. An Ebola infection case was detected after 30 minutes. ...Nine hundred twenty eight oral swab samples were tested with RPA, one hundred twenty samples were positive and eight hundred eight negative. The reference real-time PCR method gave exactly the same results. "That is a 100 per cent accuracy,"

151106062718_1_540x360.jpg

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151106062718.htm

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2015/11/newborns-ebola-infection-adds-guineas-total Date: Nov 4

In its weekly update today the WHO said the baby was delivered in an Ebola treatment center in Conakry and is being treated. The child's infection is the fourth reported from the same family in the village of Kondeyah, in Forecariah district.

The newborn's 25-year-old mother, whose Ebola infection was confirmed the previous week, died after giving birth. Ebola infections had also been confirmed in two of the woman's other young children whose illnesses were also announced the week before. The WHO warned that those family cases generated a large number of high-risk contacts who are now in their second week of 21-day monitoring.

According to the WHO, the baby's illness is the tenth in the Forecariah branch of a transmission chain that began in Conakry's Ratoma area.

Guinea is monitoring a total of 382 contacts, which include 43 in Conakry and 339 in Forecariah district. Among that group are 141 high-risk contacts, 7 from the capital and the rest from Forecariah.

In Sierra Leone, all contacts linked to the country's last two known transmission chains have completed follow-up. Its last patient tested negative for a second time on Sep 25, and if no further cases are reported, Sierra Leone will reach Ebola-free status on Nov 7.

ETA: The vaccine is not given to pregnant women nor children under the age of six iirc

" In July 2015 the World Health Organization announced a major development in the Ebola fight: preliminary results of an Ebola vaccine study in Guinea showed 100 percent effectiveness."

"At the time of the WHO team’s preliminary reporting July 31, 2015 in the journal Lancet, more than 4,000 close contacts of nearly 100 patients infected with Ebola had participated in the trial. None of the vaccinated participants developed Ebola virus disease 10 days or more after receiving the vaccine. Based on these results, the trial stopped randomizing participants to allow for all people at risk to receive the vaccine immediately."

"The trial is ongoing, as cases of Ebola remain in Guinea and Sierra Leone, Longini said. A meeting of the WHO in late October will decide when the trial will end. After the trial, the vaccine will have to be proven safe and efficacious in order to be licensed and no longer considered experimental."

"Longini said one of the challenges of this trial — and something that will benefit the response to outbreaks of other infectious diseases in the future — was to design ways to manage data in an emergency situation. This will help others implement the ring vaccination method in the outbreak of infectious diseases such as Middle Eastern respiratory virus, coronavirus, dengue, chikungunya, cholera and even pandemic influenza."

http://biostat.ufl.edu/2015/10/22/ira-longini-and-who-team-lead-breakthrough-ebola-vaccine-trial/

This is GREAT NEWS.

I never thought I would see the day where they would declare a vaccine for this monster of an illness.

This will be very good news for the 3rd world countries the next time we have a serious outbreak like the last one.

Thanks for sharing the news about this.

Also thanks for the separate good news link about the field test kit. That will also help keep people who just have a cold and they may think they have ebola and now they can be tested first before traveling to an ebola care center. That should help stop spreading it because someone with just a cold or flu may mistakingly go to an Ebola care center and become infected.

The test kit should help prevent that.

This is GREAT NEWS.

I never thought I would see the day where they would declare a vaccine for this monster of an illness.

This will be very good news for the 3rd world countries the next time we have a serious outbreak like the last one.

Thanks for sharing the news about this.

Also thanks for the separate good news link about the field test kit. That will also help keep people who just have a cold and they may think they have ebola and now they can be tested first before traveling to an ebola care center. That should help stop spreading it because someone with just a cold or flu may mistakingly go to an Ebola care center and become infected.

The test kit should help prevent that.

Yes great news!!! Now we have to get a cure for the Zika virus. Does it ever end?
WHO said last week that Zika was spreading "explosively" across America and predicts 3-4 million people could be infected within a year.

Should we start up a thread here?

Yes great news!!! Now we have to get a cure for the Zika virus. Does it ever end?
WHO said last week that Zika was spreading "explosively" across America and predicts 3-4 million people could be infected within a year.

Should we start up a thread here?

Yes, if allowed :moo:

What is the latest on a thread for the Zika virus?

Guinea confirms 2 new Ebola cases, 3 probable in southeast

Two bodies tested positive for Ebola in Guinea, the government said Thursday, months after the outbreak was declared over in the West African country and hours after Sierra Leone announced the end of the recent flare-up of the virus there.

(...)

An emergency meeting will be held Friday with the Ministry of Health, said Dr. Sakoba Keita, the national coordinator of the fight against Ebola.

Earlier Thursday, the deputy director general of the N'Zerekore Regional Hospital, Dr. Zoba Guilavogui, said a man and woman from the same family died of an illness like Ebola, but tests were pending.

Guinea was declared free from Ebola on Dec. 29. It would be celebrating the end of its 90-day heightened surveillance period at the end of March.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/7f03...nfirms-2-new-ebola-cases-3-probable-southeast

EBOLA NURSE NAMED TIME'S PERSON OF THE YEAR IN 2014 DIES IN HOSPITAL AFTER CHILDBIRTH BECAUSE 'NURSES WERE UNWILLING TO TOUCH HER'

Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4274710/Ebola-nurse-dies-nurses-wouldn-t-touch-her.html

An Ebola nurse who was named Time magazine's person of the year in 2014 has died after giving birth to a son.

Salome Karwah, 28, from Liberia, gave birth to Jeramiah by cesarean section on February 17.

But husband James Harris claims medical staff were unwilling to touch her because she was a survivor of Ebola.

The mother-of-four, who tested negative for the disease, was re-admitted to hospital when she experienced complications after the birth.

BBM

It ain't over till it's over...

So cruel and so sad.

RIP Salome Karwah

:rose:

It is really sad to hear about the nurse.

The people fighting this dreadful disease are major champions.

As sad as this is about her death I can understand the fear that this disease has put into people. The disease wiped out entire families and the doctor herself lost her mother her father and her brother to the disease.

If a person has the disease and its active then it is way too easy to catch if bodily fluids managed to get touched or transferred so I do understand the fear that people still have.

Even if hers was totally gone I do understand why people still would be afraid. Education becomes important and even then some will be afraid and may not believe what they are being told.

It takes courageous doctors willing to put on safety gear and deal with past known infected patients. Like has been mentioned it also takes education to really learn about how it is transmitted and what people can and cannot do when the virus is known to be active or known to be gone.

During this downtime of no major outbreaks now is the time to spread the education and have exact protocols in place at hospitals so we can prevent the next needless death.

Some hospitals may need to have a volunteer staff of certain doctors and nurses who are willing to work with previously affected patients. Not everyone can get themselves to overcome the fear they may have.
Maybe it should not be expected that they should. Hospitals may have to look at their policies and create certain ways to address this.

I congratulate all doctors and volunteers that risk their lives in trying to help others. This nurse is to be congratulated with her efforts. It is sad that she did not receive return care like she gave others.

Some of the documentaries I have seen have scared me badly with this particular disease. It all started when I read the book called Outbreak many years ago.

"During the Ebola crisis of 2014, Ms Karwah lost her mother, father and brother to the disease. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4274710/Ebola-nurse-dies-nurses-wouldn-t-touch-her.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob_gf
Back