Elisa Lam - What Happened?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Why did Elisa die?

• Homicide/crime of opportunity - Murder due to chance encounter with someone on the day she died

Votes: 162 47.4%
  • Homicide/preplanned - Elisa was lured to her death in a scheme planned before the day she died

Votes: 46 13.5%
  • Accidental death - related to an altered mental state: drug induced, psychosis, sleep walking, etc.

Votes: 86 25.1%
  • Suicide - Elisa intended to end her life due to mental issues/other

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • Occult/supernatural/conspiracy - related to occult, supernatural phenomena or gov./other conspiracy

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • Unsure/Do not know

Votes: 36 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for posting the contact information for the reporters. I decided to check The Cecil out for myself over the weekend, but I unfortunately ended up having even more questions than when I had arrived. If anyone would like to see any photos I took just let me know.

I'm starting to think it's never going to be publicly released...? I don't remember a tox test taking this long in the past.

The LAPD/LASD tox backlog is HUGE. I have heard that there are rape kits going back 10yrs that still haven't been run. They even have criminalistics grad students from CSULA running some of them.

Thank you for posting the contact information for the reporters. I decided to check The Cecil out for myself over the weekend, but I unfortunately ended up having even more questions than when I had arrived. If anyone would like to see any photos I took just let me know.

What sort of questions did it raise for you?? please share pics of anything that stood out for you.

Thanks!

The LAPD/LASD tox backlog is HUGE. I have heard that there are rape kits going back 10yrs that still haven't been run. They even have criminalistics grad students from CSULA running some of them.
Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I suppose I was referring more to higher-profile cases in the media, but then again this one has been relegated to being not being very high profile, as we know (not that it deserves any better treatment than other cases, but I'm just referring to how things seem to work and how that affected my expectations).

On top of an LA backlog, I believe EL's tox tests are being done in one or more uniquely comprehensive labs that are highly-sought in cases all over the country. It's just frustrating though, given the amount of time/interest many of us have dedicated to this particular case... but that obviously has no bearing on anything other than us.

It's alarming how huge a backlog they have on the tests. I remember when I took a forensics course at ASU the professor advised us that it's a very competitive field and no too many job opportunities with this type of work. It's kind of sad that it seems there's now not enough resources in these fields.

Findinganatta yes I think we are all genuinely worried about what happened to the girl and not hearing much at all in such a long time is worrying. I'm checking news and here almost every day for any information. I sure hope that they have some idea what might have happened. :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just goes to show you...

"Worker accused of elevator tampering"
http://www.torontosun.com/2013/05/10/worker-accused-of-elevator-tampering
"According to Const. Wendy Drummond, the man is an elevator company worker who attended a service call that was not in his name.

"It was determined once he attended, he was granted access and alleged to have altered the function (of two elevators)," she said. "When he left the building, it was quite obvious the elevators were not working."

After another call for repairs was made, it was confirmed that he had not been authorized to attend that call.

Police now want the general public to be aware of people gaining access to their buildings and observing elevators "for no reason."

"We really want people to be alert and take extra precaution in ensuring that people who are attending to the elevator are in fact authorized and are the appropriate person," Drummond said"

Just goes to show you...

"According to Const. Wendy Drummond, the man is an elevator company worker who attended a service call that was not in his name.

"It was determined once he attended, he was granted access and alleged to have altered the function (of two elevators)," she said. "When he left the building, it was quite obvious the elevators were not working."

After another call for repairs was made, it was confirmed that he had not been authorized to attend that call.

Police now want the general public to be aware of people gaining access to their buildings and observing elevators "for no reason."

"We really want people to be alert and take extra precaution in ensuring that people who are attending to the elevator are in fact authorized and are the appropriate person," Drummond said"

I don't believe in intuition per se, nor much of what is considered profiling, but upon watching the video the first couple times, my gut told me the perp was either security or an elevator repair person.. The fact that the 2nd elevator was out of service during her disappearance added to my belief in the latter. One can easily imagine the "conversation" she seemed to be having to be someone working on the elevators - who obviously would also be quite aware of the camera placement.

I don't believe in intuition per se, nor much of what is considered profiling, but upon watching the video the first couple times, my gut told me the perp was either security or an elevator repair person.. The fact that the 2nd elevator was out of service during her disappearance added to my belief in the latter. One can easily imagine the "conversation" she seemed to be having to be someone working on the elevators - who obviously would also be quite aware of the camera placement.
Not to open up old debates from this forum, but: a) both elevators reportedly have frequent service issues due to the overall state of disrepair, and b) many (if not most) people who watch the video don't seem to perceive her having any conversation. Her mouth never moves in a speaking fashion (if you believe it does, I would appreciate reference to the time when it happens, because I'd be open to the idea), and her disorganized behavior never seems to display any obvious social/conversational cues--just a lot of strange behavior that endless contemplation by many people has yet to explain. Just my opinion, of course.

I also see a number of pretty glaring contradictions in the theory of an elevator/maintenance person being involved, but I won't go into those unless someone is wondering. And that's if one were to theorize that it was a murder at all.

The other news story about elevator tampering is definitely interesting to contemplate, but it's ultimately irrelevant to EL's story in the absence of some other compelling clues.

I know that was a lot of babble. :) Hope it made sense... I'm not expressing myself too well today. My own best theory is that it was an accidental death due to psychosis related to EL's mental illness (possibly exacerbated by interactions with some kind of drugs, illegal or prescription). But who knows...

Translation is iffy, but the general gist of it is that someone at this Chinese newspaper spoke with spokesman regarding the autopsy, and he said that prelim autopsy was complete, and still waiting on various toxicology results. They won't release prelim details until tox is completed. Also said that it is unlikely results will be this week (which I interpret as they will be relatively soon, at least sometime later this month):

http://news.mylegist.com/1605/2013-05-09/63246.html

Thanks for the info. It's bizarre that the Chinese news has to be referenced to get any info about a girl from Canada who died in the US.

rough overlay i did of her photo near the crime scene jacket

wondering if this was found inside shed by the FD... creepy
If it is EL's coat I wonder why it isn't being preserved as it looks like it might be raining or drizzling as the 1 guy is holding an umbrella Hmmm good find :)

rough overlay i did of her photo near the crime scene jacket

wondering if this was found inside shed by the FD... creepy
looks similar to the coat EL owned but did she have it on in the elevator vid? as I can't remember that far back. IF she didn't how did it get to the roof if it's her's? Hmmmm

If I'm remembering correctly, earlier in one of these threads, the jacket turned out to be a black garbage bag that looked like a jacket from one angle but a garbage bag from another.

If it is EL's coat I wonder why it isn't being preserved as it looks like it might be raining or drizzling as the 1 guy is holding an umbrella Hmmm good find :)

kunibob is correct. it's a garbage bag

Just goes to show you...

what does elevator tampering in a Canadian city 2500 miles away have to do with this case?

looks similar to the coat EL owned but did she have it on in the elevator vid? as I can't remember that far back. IF she didn't how did it get to the roof if it's her's? Hmmmm
It is a garbage bag, as others said (and I seriously doubt the police would have evidence like that laying out in the rain, even if they found it in the rain).

However, in relation to your question, and because it sort of relates to how people think of this whole thing happening: I've never been convinced, necessarily, that the elevator video was filmed soon before she ended up on the roof. She could have walked down the stairs to her room first, and back up the stairs. Or any number of other activities that didn't happen in front of one of their security cameras, which don't seem to cover the large majority of the hotel's area.

I only point this out because I think it illustrates how little we've ever known, how many variables there are, and how easy it is to presume things (I'm not referring to you--all of us who have followed the mysterious case have probably done it to some degree). But in terms of the timeline of that night and her trip in general, there are way more blank spaces than filled-in ones, at least in terms of what the public knows. And I have no real faith that further details that the LE knows will be released, other than the tox results.

Translation is iffy, but the general gist of it is that someone at this Chinese newspaper spoke with spokesman regarding the autopsy, and he said that prelim autopsy was complete, and still waiting on various toxicology results. They won't release prelim details until tox is completed. Also said that it is unlikely results will be this week (which I interpret as they will be relatively soon, at least sometime later this month):

http://news.mylegist.com/1605/2013-05-09/63246.html

I thought they already completed the preliminary autopsy dnd could not find a cause of death based on the condition of the body. Now they are just awaiting the results of the toxicology samples.

http://www./538019/elisa-lam-cause-of-death/

It is a garbage bag, as others said (and I seriously doubt the police would have evidence like that laying out in the rain, even if they found it in the rain).

However, in relation to your question, and because it sort of relates to how people think of this whole thing happening: I've never been convinced, necessarily, that the elevator video was filmed soon before she ended up on the roof. She could have walked down the stairs to her room first, and back up the stairs. Or any number of other activities that didn't happen in front of one of their security cameras, which don't seem to cover the large majority of the hotel's area.

I only point this out because I think it illustrates how little we've ever known, how many variables there are, and how easy it is to presume things (I'm not referring to you--all of us who have followed the mysterious case have probably done it to some degree). But in terms of the timeline of that night and her trip in general, there are way more blank spaces than filled-in ones, at least in terms of what the public knows. And I have no real faith that further details that the LE knows will be released, other than the tox results.

I too have wondered how long after the video the was on the roof - but more over if she was on the roof BEFORE the video as well. She was staying on the 4th floor, but the 14th floor is where she was stuck on the elevator. Upon seeing her Instagram, I noticed she favors taking pictures at night time from the top of buildings (usually before leaving a city).

So was she on the roof admiring the view when she was approached/assaulted/felt uncomfortable? Did she then take the access stairs down to the 14th floor, ditching the stairs for the more public hallway? She ducked inside of the elevator after noticing it was stuck (she had wanted to get down to the lobby via elevator, hoping to allude her assailant/the person that creeped her out.

For some reason I feel the creep knew there was a camera in that elevator.

Anyhow, I do think she was taken back up to the roof immediately after she got out of that elevator.

I too have wondered how long after the video the was on the roof - but more over if she was on the roof BEFORE the video as well. She was staying on the 4th floor, but the 14th floor is where she was stuck on the elevator. Upon seeing her Instagram, I noticed she favors taking pictures at night time from the top of buildings (usually before leaving a city).

So was she on the roof admiring the view when she was approached/assaulted/felt uncomfortable? Did she then take the access stairs down to the 14th floor, ditching the stairs for the more public hallway? She ducked inside of the elevator after noticing it was stuck (she had wanted to get down to the lobby via elevator, hoping to allude her assailant/the person that creeped her out.

For some reason I feel the creep knew there was a camera in that elevator.

Anyhow, I do think she was taken back up to the roof immediately after she got out of that elevator.

I agree with your intuitions here. One possibility I've always wondered about is whether she 'witnessed' something she should not have (like a 'hit' or anything else illegal). This could have happened on the roof, like you said. Then she went down to leave and the perp followed her.

As far as the timeline of the camera vs disappearance, hasn't there been some quote from journalists or LE about the fact that this video is the last time she was seen (at least on camera)?

And I am convinced that the perp knew there was a camera in the elevator, which is why this has been such a tough case to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState