Embezzlement charges: discussion, etc.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LaurieJ just posted this on the media links page:

re: embezzlement hearing june 10/2005..
http://www.herald-sun.com/archives/search.html

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica][size=+1]Herald-Sun, The (Durham, NC)[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]June 11, 2005[/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Section: Durham[/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Edition: Final[/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Page: E2[/font]

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica][size=+1]Victim's husband to get hearing
Spouse is accused of embezzlement[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]From staff reports[/font] </I></FONT>

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]While Durham police detectives continue to investigate the April murder of Janet Abaroa, attorneys met Friday to discuss fraud charges her husband is facing in Orange County.[/font] [font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Orange County Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline Perez said she met with Julian Mack to discuss details of five counts of embezzlement his client, Raven Abaroa, is facing.

The pair set a hearing for July 22, Perez said.

"Hopefully, by that day I will know whether I will indict him or if we will do some kind of plea," she said. "But there is no offer on the table right now."
[/font]

juliagoulia said:
LaurieJ just posted this on the media links page:

re: embezzlement hearing june 10/2005..
http://www.herald-sun.com/archives/search.html

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica][size=+1]Herald-Sun, The (Durham, NC)[/size][/font]

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]June 11, 2005[/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Section: Durham[/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Edition: Final[/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Page: E2[/font]

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica][size=+1]Victim's husband to get hearing
Spouse is accused of embezzlement[/size][/font]
[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]From staff reports[/font] </I></FONT>

[font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]While Durham police detectives continue to investigate the April murder of Janet Abaroa, attorneys met Friday to discuss fraud charges her husband is facing in Orange County.[/font] [font=Arial,geneva,helvetica]Orange County Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline Perez said she met with Julian Mack to discuss details of five counts of embezzlement his client, Raven Abaroa, is facing.

The pair set a hearing for July 22, Perez said.

"Hopefully, by that day I will know whether I will indict him or if we will do some kind of plea," she said. "But there is no offer on the table right now."
[/font]

Ok, being no legal expert, I have some questions about this, that maybe someone with more knowledge than me can shed some light on....

IF in fact when Raven was arrested, he confessed to the embezzling (as we've been told) .... procedurally where does that leave things at this point? When the ADA says, "...whether I will indict him or if we will do some kind of plea."... what exactly does that mean?

In meeting with Raven' attorney, would the point have been to start talking about what sort of penalty is involved, (assuming guilt has already been established)?

It would seem to me that if fact that is the ultimate goal of the July 22nd hearing, then Raven would indeed HAVE to be in court that day?

Thoughts anyone?

SouthEastSleuth said:
In meeting with Raven' attorney, would the point have been to start talking about what sort of penalty is involved, (assuming guilt has already been established)?

It would seem to me that if fact that is the ultimate goal of the July 22nd hearing, then Raven would indeed HAVE to be in court that day?

Thoughts anyone?
I spoke with an attorney. These are his thoughts.

A hearing could mean several things:

1. It could be an arraignment, where he is formally charged with the crime (indictment).

2. It could be an intial "probable cause" hearing in one of the NC lower criminal courts. Most of the NC criminal courts have to be reviewed by an initial judge, and then he determines if there is probable cause for the charges to go forward. Now this is only for the felony offenses. The defendant can waive this procedural step. Rarely do the judges find NO probable cause.

3. It could be a preliminary motion's hearing, or a hearing to enter into a plea, and set a trial date

Unless he pleads guilty, I highly doubt that there will be a trial that day. Regardless, he will have to show up at the hearing.

You know, I wonder if there is any link between the delay in the embezzlement proceedings and the ongoing murder investigation? Could very well be two independent issues, with no overlap, but it does make you wonder...

And also, on the embezzlement front, I would assume that those working that case in Orange County have all the information they need to proceed with that case.... but we did in fact dig up a fair amount of info on that front, with regards to eBay especially. Might be worth making sure the Orange County ADA indeed has the specific info that was uncovered here.

It did always strike me as odd, that if the eBay connection had in fact been made, and surely it was, that the eBay account is still up and active (even though the eBay "feedback" info was intentionally hidden by the account owner). Yikes, I'd sure hate to be one of those eBay folks that inadvertantly bought stolen goods!!!

I'm interested in if the ADA knows that Raven's mother may have been involved .... hmmmm maybe I send her an email letting her know what we've dug up on this end with the embezzlement charges . . .

golfmom said:
I'm interested in if the ADA knows that Raven's mother may have been involved .... hmmmm maybe I send her an email letting her know what we've dug up on this end with the embezzlement charges . . .
SES and GM.....you are so right. The ADA absolutely needs to know all of the information that has been recovered and the possibility of another person being involved. They may already know this, but they may not. We all have been thanked, at one time or another, by family, friends, media and LE to keep up the good work, keep it coming, thanks for trying to bring justice to this case. It has also been rumored about the low manpower in the LE and DA's office so maybe they haven't had time to really search all of this information out. Who knows, maybe we will uncover additional embezzling with other employers....it's hard for me to believe he just started stealing in July 2004!

ewwwinteresting said:
....it's hard for me to believe he just started stealing in July 2004!

I agree! or scamming somehow, I wonder about the mini-coop stories if he torched the car for insurance money? Maybe there's a pattern here.

golfmom said:
I agree! or scamming somehow, I wonder about the mini-coop stories if he torched the car for insurance money? Maybe there's a pattern here.
And I would think a pattern means no deal.......indict and go to trial or if he pleads guilty, throw the book at him!

Just wondering, even if he gets a deal, what employer would hire him?? Could you imagine.....well, I embezzled only $9 from my last employer, but I learned my lesson and I won't steal from you, I promise!

Just as confirmation of information we've heard elsewhere -

a query of the Orange County District Court site does indeed now reflect Raven's new court date for the pending charges for five counts of felony embezzlement:

Friday, July 22, 2005. Courtroom #2, afternoon session (2:00pm)

OK, question for y'all.

Having been charged with 5 felony embezzlement charges, who in the hell is going to hire you? We have no evidence that Raven had a job after being fired. He certainly isn't working now. Where is he going to work? I mean what employer is going to hire somebody that stole from his past employer?? I guess maybe fast food or some frivolous job won't do background checks, but any type of job Raven is going to want would. He could lie on his application about working at ES, but I can't imagine ES giving him any type of a decent referral!

Well there's always some member of the Church that'll feel sorry for him... As good a talker as he is, he'll con someone into believing it was a huge misunderstanding, or he was doing it to help someone else, etc.

OR, he'll change his name, get a new SS#, etc. It's not hard to reinvent yourself. People do it every day.

ewwwinteresting said:
OK, question for y'all.

Having been charged with 5 felony embezzlement charges, who in the hell is going to hire you? We have no evidence that Raven had a job after being fired. He certainly isn't working now. Where is he going to work? I mean what employer is going to hire somebody that stole from his past employer?? I guess maybe fast food or some frivolous job won't do background checks, but any type of job Raven is going to want would. He could lie on his application about working at ES, but I can't imagine ES giving him any type of a decent referral!

NCBanker said:
Well there's always some member of the Church that'll feel sorry for him... As good a talker as he is, he'll con someone into believing it was a huge misunderstanding, or he was doing it to help someone else, etc.

OR, he'll change his name, get a new SS#, etc. It's not hard to reinvent yourself. People do it every day.
Maybe that is why he went back to Utah to find a church member or family to hire him. I can tell you, family or friend, if you embezzled, you are not working for me.

L L & S said:
Good evening friends.
Thank you for these graphics. :clap:

They will be great attachments to any media contacts, letters to the editor, etc.

Since Raven is only charged, does it show up when someone does a check? Can it be held against him if he hasn't been convicted (yet)?

No. He hasn't been convicted yet, so it wouldn't show up.

JerseyGirl said:
Since Raven is only charged, does it show up when someone does a check? Can it be held against him if he hasn't been convicted (yet)?

NCBanker said:

And, according to Raven's blog, he's done it several times throughout his life.

NCBanker said:
No. He hasn't been convicted yet, so it wouldn't show up.
But wouldn't the charge show up? It is public knowledge and I would assume be in a database when doing a background check??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllaMichael
Back