Embezzlement charges: discussion, etc.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
lauriej said:
..thanks newkid........

...it would seems that i only added to the confusion digging up old posts...sorry about that everyone...
...there was just SO much flying around 2 months ago, i'm never sure what i'm remembering correctly!

...(p.s..how nice to log on a see so many new posts! and posters!)
Yes, newkid that you for the clarification....lauriej was trying to confuse me :):blowkiss:

This is awsome you new posters. Glad to see so many more people interested in finding Justice for Janet. Boo, feel like going to the house, walking through (if it's still for sale) and taking pictures??? I would love to see the crime scene itself. NC did a great job of taking pictures of the outside but was too :chicken: to go in :) LOL!

newkid said:
MarketStar (the company Raven worked for while he was contracted out to HP) occasionally sells off old equipment to employees. Not at any set time and not like a yard sale, the word just goes out to employees.

What had been happening at MarketStar was that certain individuals were ebaying brand new equipment. They were also buying amex gift checks that were supposed to be used for promotions and giveaways, but were depositing the checks in their own bank accounts. These people were discovered and fired a little after Raven had already left the company I think. They had been at it for quite a while. From what we've heard though, Raven's name never came up. He certainly could have picked up ideas from it, by the time it was over nearly everyone had heard about it.

Sorry about the confusion, people thinking I was referring to a different Utah job. MarketStar is located in Utah, but has people all over the country contracted out to HP.

I've been thinking about this MarketStar/HP deal for days now.

It's my understanding that Raven worked for MarketStar as a rep for HP products (while in Fredericksburg, Virginia, but servicing various territories). (While there, one of his customers was the IT company, Monette, in Smithfield, Virginia....)...

I also understand that at some point in time, Raven was still working for MarketStar, but based out of Charlotte, NC.

From what I gather he worked for MarketStar, then at some point, sometime in Fall of 2001, went to work for Monette (there's a post here somewhere with a company newsletter announcing him as a new employee), then ultimately went BACK to work for MarketStar again.

I'm not clear on whether he worked first for MarketStar in Charlotte or in Fredericksburg.... but apparantly WAS employed there at two different times.

My point is -

I wonder about the exact timing of the embezzlement and fraud that went on at MarketStar. The whole scheme of selling new equipment (albeit STOLEN) on eBay is certainly the MO that Raven used at Eurosport it seems...

So at Eurosport, did Raven, while seemingly caught up in a world of Big Boy Toys, large expenses, etc., just decide one day - "you know what, I need money...so I think I'll figure out a way to steal things, then resell them. 100% profit."

Perhaps. But it seems that this scheme was fairly elaborate. Certainly not just going to the shipping department and slipping out the door with a pair of soccer shoes here and there. If in fact the value of the embezzled goods was indeed $9000, that's a good number of those shoes, or whatever, in a fairly short period of time (4-5 months). So it stands to reason that, perhaps:

a) Raven gave the scheme a good deal of thought and planning before starting the actual embezzlement... And keep in mind, as we've been told, the first embezzlement charge is linked to July 2004...Raven was only hired at Eurosport the previous summer (2003)... so, I suppose one could say he had nearly a year to plan and get this scheme up and going...or,

b) He "knew" of this whole scheme from somewhere else. Perhaps knowledge of the MarketStar/HP embezzlement scheme...or,

c) Perhaps he WAS involved in the scheme at MarketStar, on some level, either the first or second time he was employed there.... involved, I suppose, can mean many things - he knew about the scheme, he participated in the scheme but wasn't caught, or perhaps he helped cover up the scheme....

You often read that people who participate in so-called white-collar-crimes have done so throughout their professional careers. Something as simple as taking home a legal pad for personal use, is in fact technically employee theft. And as in the case of many crimes, when a person "gets away" with something once, they are often emboldened to keep at it... Perhaps this speaks to Raven and the embezzlement - one charge in July...not another until September. Maybe "testing" the scheme in July, laid low in August to see how things went, nothing happens, back to "Futbalrguy's Soccer Shop on eBay" in September ( I made that name up...)...

That said, was this just another stop on a pattern in Raven's professional career? Who knows. But that MarketStar business sure has a familiar ring to it - my bet is, Raven had SOME involvement - directly or indirectly - if nothing else, it may have provided information - information used to embezzle at Eurosport...

And that, was the beginning of the end. For Raven, professionally, and perhaps, for Janet, and her life.

Raven's embezzelment trial date is this Friday, July 22nd. Any locals planning to attend?

(Pretty please?!)
:blowkiss:

JerseyGirl said:
I thought this too. I'm still not convinced which she meant for sure. GM, if you read this, did you mean that HP or ES have an annual "yard sale"?

Eurosport!

I think at that time there was an ES post a few posts ahead of the ones listed below that I was responding to.

golfmom said:
Eurosport!

I think at that time there was an ES post a few posts ahead of the ones listed below that I was responding to.
Thanks for responding to the question...uhhhh 6 weeks later GM :blowkiss:

ewwwinteresting said:
Thanks for responding to the question...uhhhh 6 weeks later GM :blowkiss:

LOL

I think that's what I did before too. :D

That's why it was confusing. ;)

Okay, here is my understanding of what has taken place and what will or could take place in the embezzlement charges Raven is facing.

Raven was discovered to have embezzled money from his employer Eurosport.

Raven was fired, arrested and charged.

Raven's lawyer represented him on June 10th at a hearing to determine if a plea could be made or if the charges would stand.

No plea was made and a hearing was scheduled for July 22nd.

On July 22nd if no plea is made the charges will stand and go to a grand jury for indictment on felony charges.

If the grand jury indicts then this case will go to trial.

So it seems to me, we are looking at a bit more time involved before this case is resolved let alone anything on his wife's murder.

golfmom said:
Eurosport!

I couldn't find the original post at the time, I don't think. I don't even remember now! lol. But thanks for clearing it up. :)

Do we think media is going to cover the hearing on Friday? Is emailing and advising/reminding the media in NC about the hearing date something we should do?

snapple said:
Do we think media is going to cover the hearing on Friday? Is emailing and advising/reminding the media in NC about the hearing date something we should do?
I would think that the media should be there. Of course, I'm hoping to see a dramatic arrest at the same time so my opinion may be biased.

snapple said:
.......i would hope that they have bookmarked the date themselves and were planning on covering the court date.......

...but who knows what has come up for them in the interim........i'm emailing a couple of the 'major media players' just in case............those who have given us the most recent coverage...

news 14:
http://rdu.news14.com/content/contact_us/viewer_center/talk_to_14/

eyewitness news 11 erin o'hearn
wtvd_erin_ohearn04.jpg

E-mail Erin O'Hearn

weird...

...i know i've checked recently and raven waas facing 5 charges on the embezzlement this friday...

...it now shows 4 charges against him on fridays docket............... anyone know why this would be ?

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/servlet/calendars.Criminal.do?county=670&court=BTH&defendant=abaroa&start=0&navindex=0&submit=Submit+Query

District and Superior Courts of ORANGE County

CourtDefendantDate of
Birth
Court
Date
Court
Room
SessionCase
Number
Citation
Number
District ABAROA,RAVEN 10/11/1979 07/22/2005 0002 PM 2005CR050503 District ABAROA,RAVEN 10/11/1979 07/22/2005 0002 PM 2005CR050504 District ABAROA,RAVEN 10/11/1979 07/22/2005 0002 PM 2005CR050505 District ABAROA,RAVEN 10/11/1979 07/22/2005 0002 PM

2005CR050507

lauriej said:
weird...

...i know i've checked recently and raven waas facing 5 charges on the embezzlement this friday...

...it now shows 4 charges against him on fridays docket............... anyone know why this would be ?

http://www1.aoc.state.nc.us/www/servlet/calendars.Criminal.do?county=670&court=BTH&defendant=abaroa&start=0&navindex=0&submit=Submit+Query
Interesting. I check those Orange County Court Calendars every single morning, wihout fail, and sometimes again at noon, just to check for updates. Yesterday, all five charges were showing as of noon, for sure.

The only reason I could possibly guess that one is now missing, is that some sort of plea deal has been made between the ADA and Raven and his attorney??? Perhaps some deal that includes dropping one of the charges for some reason?? Just guessing really, but as LJ points out, those 5 charges have been listed as such for months, until now, one day before the actual hearing.

Note: The case number for the "missing" charge is 2005CR050506

From what I can tell, Raven is being charged with four Class H felony counts of Embezzlement (embezzlement of property received by virtue of office or employment, Amount involved less than $100,000). This may be a little premature to even discuss, but how much time in jail would he serve? This is under sentencing statute GS 14-90. From what I can get from these sentencing guidelines, am I correct to think that the presumptive sentence would be 5-6 months minimum, 6-7 maximum for each count? And I think I see that he could do community service if he has a clean record (which I assume he does, but didn’t we hear about him assaulting a soccer official or something?). Just a thought, in case he is convicted or pleads guilty or no contest to these charges tomorrow!

http://www.nccourts.org/Courts/CRS/Councils/spac/Publications/Manual.asp

http://www.nccourts.org/Courts/CRS/Councils/spac/Documents/appendix-a-felonyclassification.pdf

http://www.nccourts.org/Courts/CRS/Councils/spac/Documents/trainingandreferencemanual2004.pdf

SouthEastSleuth said:
Interesting. I check those Orange County Court Calendars every single morning, wihout fail, and sometimes again at noon, just to check for updates. Yesterday, all five charges were showing as of noon, for sure.

The only reason I could possibly guess that one is now missing, is that some sort of plea deal has been made between the ADA and Raven and his attorney??? Perhaps some deal that includes dropping one of the charges for some reason?? Just guessing really, but as LJ points out, those 5 charges have been listed as such for months, until now, one day before the actual hearing.

Note: The case number for the "missing" charge is 2005CR050506
SES, you didn't call and ask the nice clerk lady what happened to the missing charge? That is so unlike you:blowkiss:

Everyone's sitting around waiting for an update.

First sleuther to post what happened today in court gets to wear the Sleuther of the Week Crown!

:banghead: waiting with you, very impatiently, might I add.

golfmom said:
Everyone's sitting around waiting for an update.

First sleuther to post what happened today in court gets to wear the Sleuther of the Week Crown!
Maybe chocolates would be more enticing!:blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back