Evelyn Wanek

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
thanks Ozziemum,...

I'd like to add to your theory. The possibility still exists that Anna could have been given to a single mother and retained the mothers surname. I'm a single mom and my son has my last name, not his dads last name........

Hi Cubby,

This is true and I thought about that too however, back then, unlike today, single parenthood was still pretty much frowned upon, not that it was unheard of. So I guess we still have to take it into consideration as a possibility.

I have an ancestry account, so will look into Evelyn's geneology.

Off topic, I missed before that Evelyn said that she knew GW as Jack Wolf(e). Has anyone ever looked into this? I wonder if she meant that GB was Jack Wolf? Why would she know him as another name? I did a quick ancestry.com search and there is a Jack Wolf who lived in San Fran. in the 1930's. It says he was born in Germany in 1903, but it also appears he lived in NJ at some point in time too. Anything I should pursue more? There are actually several Jack Wolfs, but this one caught my eye because of the SF connection. There was also several Jack Wolfe's, including one born in 1909 in Los Angeles.

Also O/T: Has anyone noticed that Margaret referred to him as Bobby, Evelyn knew GW as Jack, and GB was supposedly from Mass....just like the Kennedy's?

I have an ancestry account, so will look into Evelyn's geneology.

Off topic, I missed before that Evelyn said that she knew GW as Jack Wolf(e). Has anyone ever looked into this? I wonder if she meant that GB was Jack Wolf? Why would she know him as another name? I did a quick ancestry.com search and there is a Jack Wolf who lived in San Fran. in the 1930's. It says he was born in Germany in 1903, but it also appears he lived in NJ at some point in time too. Anything I should pursue more? There are actually several Jack Wolfs, but this one caught my eye because of the SF connection. There was also several Jack Wolfe's, including one born in 1909 in Los Angeles.

Also O/T: Has anyone noticed that Margaret referred to him as Bobby, Evelyn knew GW as Jack, and GB was supposedly from Mass....just like the Kennedy's?

Hi Julessleuther,

I and some others have already researched Evelyn and I re-checked ancestry yesterday and there is nothing new, but feel free to check again (never know if any of us might miss something that someone else might pick up).

Interesting idea that GB might have been Jack Wolf (e) and not GW. Not quite sure who you are saying that Margaret referred to as Bobby but it was GB.

Hi again Julessleuther,

I want to do some research into Evelyn's fathers family but I haven't had time today and I go back to work tomorrow :( and I was wondering if you might have time to look into this on ancestry?

Evelyn's father's name was Joseph M Wanek and her mother was Barbara (or Barbora) and they were both born in Bohemia (according to US census) but I am not sure if that is Bohemia, Czech Republic or one of the places in the US called Bohemia (I think it is probably the Czech Republic but could be wrong).

Interestedwoman has a post in this thread (post #10) with all the info on Evelyn's immediate family. She refers to a sister of Evelyn's that died and I'm thinking it may have been Florance.

The reason I am interested in Evelyn's father's side of the family is because of the LW we are looking at.

WebSleuths, all the Wanek stuff is coming up on Google search, so I recommend that we refer to this young woman by her initials only. I have found one post in which she recalls kindergarten memories; she apparently has brothers and sometimes wears glasses. She is registered for an August wedding. Until we get some possible link to Evelyn, it seems that it's unlikely that she would be Anna, but wouldn't it be fantastic if she was? Regarding height: You can't really tell from the photo's perspective. In pictures of her playing, she appears to be average height, about 5'6", which would fit with the family profile (average to tall).

You are right!
Thanks,
raf

Hi again Julessleuther,

I want to do some research into Evelyn's fathers family but I haven't had time today and I go back to work tomorrow :( and I was wondering if you might have time to look into this on ancestry?

Evelyn's father's name was Joseph M Wanek and her mother was Barbara (or Barbora) and they were both born in Bohemia (according to US census) but I am not sure if that is Bohemia, Czech Republic or one of the places in the US called Bohemia (I think it is probably the Czech Republic but could be wrong).

Interestedwoman has a post in this thread (post #10) with all the info on Evelyn's immediate family. She refers to a sister of Evelyn's that died and I'm thinking it may have been Florance.

The reason I am interested in Evelyn's father's side of the family is because of the LW we are looking at.
Hi,

-Joseph M Wanek on 1910 census declaring that he was born in Nebraska (??) by austrian parents;

1910 United States Federal Census about Joseph M Wanek
Name: Joseph M Wanek
Age in 1910: 34
Estimated birth year: abt 1876
Birthplace: Nebraska
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Austria
Mother's Birth Place: Austria

Spouse's name: Barbara
Home in 1910: Summit, Richland, North Dakota
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Joseph M Wanek
Barbara Wanek
Florence Wanek
Evelyn Wanek 4
Nick Matuska
[15]

-in 1920 census Joseph M Wanek declaring that was born in Wisconsin from bohemian parents;
1920 United States Federal Census about M Joe Wanek
Name: M Joe Wanek
Home in 1920: Summit, Richland, North Dakota

Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Birthplace: Wisconsin
Spouse's name: Barbara
Father's Birth Place: Bohemia
Mother's Birth Place: Bohemia

Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 729

M Joe Wanek
Barbara Wanek
M Florence Wanek
R Evelyn Wanek
F Loretta Wanek

-in WWI draft registration card only : native born
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Joe M Wanek
Name: Joe M Wanek
County: Richland
State: North Dakota
Birth Date: 27 Jan 1873
FHL Roll Number: 1819453
farmer, next of kin: wife Barbara

-in 1930 census again born in Wisconsin...
1930 United States Federal Census about Joseph Wanek
Name: Joseph Wanek
Home in 1930: Wahpeton, Richland, North Dakota
View Map

Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Spouse's name: Barbora

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace:
View image

Joseph Wanek
Barbora Wanek
Evelyn Wanek
Laretta Wanek
Frank Zitka

-In 1905 Minnesota census the birthplace is the Wisconsin:
Minnesota Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
about Joseph M Wanek
Name: Joseph M Wanek
Census Date: 20 Jun 1905
County: Wilkin
Locality: Breckenridge
Birth Location: Wisconsin
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Father's Birth Location: Bohemia
Mother's Birth Location: Bohemia

Roll: MNSC_162

Evelyn was born in Minnesota also... however Joseph M Wanek died in San Francisco, CA:

Death Index
Name: Joe M. Wanek
Birth: 27 Jan 1873
Death: 15 Apr 1972 - San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
Civil: Minnesota

California Death Index, 1940-1997
about Joseph Wanek
Name: Joseph Wanek
Social Security XXXXXXXXXXXX
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 27 Jan 1873
Death Date: 13 Apr 1972
Death Place: San Francisco

all the best,
raf

If I remember history correctly, there's no contradiction between Bohemia/Austria/Czechoslovakia; the CZ Republic (that Bohemia was then part of) was founded in 1918, and before that, Bohemia was part of Austria.

Thanks Raf---I did not get back here in time. I wonder if there is a chance that GB was a relative of Evelyns, considering GW called her after he died...

Thanks Raf---I did not get back here in time. I wonder if there is a chance that GB was a relative of Evelyns, considering GW called her after he died...

Good point Julessleuther.

I've also been wondering if there was any connection between Evelyn and Margaret K. Margaret was a nurse and Evelyn was in to alternative medicine. This could be how GB met Margaret.

Good point Julessleuther.

I've also been wondering if there was any connection between Evelyn and Margaret K. Margaret was a nurse and Evelyn was in to alternative medicine. This could be how GB met Margaret.

That would make a lot of sense. Usually someone will call a family member when a relative dies. I am new to the thread and have been reading and got "searching for Anna" and read it also. trying to catch up.

Is Evelyn and Joe both deceased? If so any signs of children? Or other relatives? I am assuming you are trying to find some link so you can contact them to see if they can be of some help.

I decided to do a people search on Evelyn W and found one who would be 99 in Green Bay, WI

I found another name that was listed as possible relatives ( Germaine Ettien age 74) and put it in and found an Anne M Wanek, age 45.

One of her names is Ettien, reminded me of Effie.
the stranger part is this woman went by

Lynn A E.
Adreinne L E.
Adrienne L. E.
Adrienne L Ettienives
Ives, Lynn
Adreinne L Ives,
Adrienne L Ives,
Anne M Wanek

So maybe Wanek is the maiden name, the others married names. But the Ettien caught my eye.

Not sure if this is going anywhere, but I wanted to see what others think and if it is worth perusing.

I put in E W for CA and nothing comes up for her. I don't know why yet.

I had a question about the day Joe spoke with Evelyn. Did she ever say why GW called her? Was it to say GB had died? Did she give any useful information about the relationship between her and the two Georges? A 40 minute call is a bit of a chat, how was it discovered, by phone records?

I found Adrienne E on face book. I emailed her and ask if she had a family member by the name of E W in the 70's to 80's that ran a health care studio in Ca at 967 Sutter Street. I ask her if she would check with family members as this woman is deceased and she may have not know her personally. I told her I was looking for information about a friend of hers that she may have know during that time period. If this is not the family it rules out one thing or place for us.

Possible Relatives on her name search

Frank W age 96
Evelyn W age 99
Germaine E age 74
herself
Lynn I
Eric I

all from Green Bay WI
De Pere WI
New Franken, WI

If this is the family :woohoo:

I had a question about the day Joe spoke with Evelyn. Did she ever say why GW called her? Was it to say GB had died? Did she give any useful information about the relationship between her and the two Georges? A 40 minute call is a bit of a chat, how was it discovered, by phone records?
All I have to go on are Joe's notes. On Jan 29, 1982, he called 355-6185 (it would have been area code 415 in those days, but the 355 numbers were and still are Pacifica), the number on GW's bill that showed the 40-minute conversation. Joe writes "Health studio in Pacifica. Lady answers. Name: Evelyn Wanick sp? Knew Geo. Brody as Brody G.W. as "Jack Wolf" - colon therapy - massage therapy". That's all Joe wrote, and I doubt he remembers more than this, since he called all the numbers on the phone bill way back then. Those people are listed somewhere on the forum; most of the numbers seemed to be work-related.

It is interesting to me that she would know GW as Jack Wolf, because GW was a practicing physician---she very easily could have found out his real name, so why did he use a fake name? M ost curious...
All I have to go on are Joe's notes. On Jan 29, 1982, he called 355-6185 (it would have been area code 415 in those days, but the 355 numbers were and still are Pacifica), the number on GW's bill that showed the 40-minute conversation. Joe writes "Health studio in Pacifica. Lady answers. Name: Evelyn Wanick sp? Knew Geo. Brody as Brody G.W. as "Jack Wolf" - colon therapy - massage therapy". That's all Joe wrote, and I doubt he remembers more than this, since he called all the numbers on the phone bill way back then. Those people are listed somewhere on the forum; most of the numbers seemed to be work-related.

It is interesting to me that she would know GW as Jack Wolf, because GW was a practicing physician---she very easily could have found out his real name, so why did he use a fake name? M ost curious...

Maybe if she was a contact of sorts, he went by Jack Wolf because when Anna's disappearance hit the papers he didn't want her to put two and two together. I am convinced there is a trail because they had to know people to pass her off too and had to have people to help, so there is a trail, we just have to dig.

I've always thought GW used George Wolfe because he didn't want Evelyn to know he was a physician. I've had the impression he would not have been comfortable sharing such personal details of his life which she could have probably verified easily at the time given licensing standards and access to those having state licenses, in addition to the two G's being so private and the possibility Bern suggested.

JMO

Question about Evelyn. Do we know if Evelyn always resided in Pacifica? Did we ever do a city history for her? I'm curious to know if she resided in any other cities which they were and if that makes anything stand out to us.

thanks!

Question about Evelyn. Do we know if Evelyn always resided in Pacifica? Did we ever do a city history for her? I'm curious to know if she resided in any other cities which they were and if that makes anything stand out to us.

thanks!

Cubby,

I can't remember, is this woman deceased? I posted on another thread that I did a name search on her and I did find on in Pacifica. I am wondering if I should get the background search on her. I don't get an age or possible relatives, but if this is the right one, we may get a lead on her family.

See Post #10

Self: Evelyn R. b. 2-11-1906 d.12-31-1992 (San Mateo CA)

:)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody