Excerpt: Andrea Lyon New Book

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do we know if AL has a clear history of plea deals to avoid the DP? The following statement makes me wonder if she is posturing to defuse a plea deal in the works, that KC was pressured into it [scared into it by JA's 10-minute DP justification presentation] but is really innocent [Yeah, right!].

“It does put a lot of pressure on a defendant to plea bargain even when they didn't, when they didn't do it. She didn't kill her kid,” Lyon said.

For KC to recently undergo 36 hours of DP mitigation interview work must be both a reality check as well as a real confidence shaker, that the Defense is focused on penalty mitigation and not the promised mistrial and freedom to party.

It is not murder and even it is was
KC didn’t do it, the nanny did
And even if KC was lying about the nanny
It doesn’t mean she is a murderer
Even it if it wasn’t the nanny, It could
Have been JG, AH, and TL all pretending to be the nanny
Even if it wasn’t them, she couldn’t have done it all by herself
Even if she did, there is no proof it was a murder
Blah blah blah blah blah

For the love of God, please pick one theory and stick with it!

I know! I'm wondering if they'll have the trial delayed another year to float theories about Joy Wray, O-Town's Illest or whatever his name was...then at trial I think the Anthonys will be brought under the microscope

I did not know where to put this, so I am putting it here.

It just occurred to me, that AL's constant repeating of "they are trying to kill my client", and just all the kill, kill, kill stuff she says, is what she is having to do with KC. KC just is not getting it, therefore, when AL speaks of the case, she speaks as she would to KC.

Purchase Lyon's book? Oh, h3ll no!

I am, however, very thankful she is on Casey's defense team! I think she will do Casey more harm than good. Lyon is just not a likeable person and she rambles on and on until I just tune her out. I know that is not the way it should be, but that is how she effects me.

And if she cries and begs for Casey's life to be spared, that will not bother me either. I just really, really do not care for this woman!

MOO's

It is not murder and even it is was
KC didn’t do it, the nanny did
And even if KC was lying about the nanny
It doesn’t mean she is a murderer
Even it if it wasn’t the nanny, It could
Have been JG, AH, and TL all pretending to be the nanny
Even if it wasn’t them, she couldn’t have done it all by herself
Even if she did, there is no proof it was a murder
Blah blah blah blah blah

For the love of God, please pick one theory and stick with it!

Ring around the theories
Pocket full of queries
ashes
ashes
all
fall
down

Purchase Lyon's book? Oh, h3ll no!

I am, however, very thankful she is on Casey's defense team! I think she will do Casey more harm than good. Lyon is just not a likeable person and she rambles on and on until I just tune her out. I know that is not the way it should be, but that is how she effects me.

And if she cries and begs for Casey's life to be spared, that will not bother me either. I just really, really do not care for this woman!

MOO's

I second you LaLaw2000! I'm glad she's on Casey's team. I'm glad because Baez is a complete putz and no way do I want to see this trial tossed for ineffective counsel. No way do I want George and Cindy and anyone else who thinks Casey is a pure as the driven snow and innocent of this horrific crime against her daughter. Lyons isn't likeable but she's smart and a great lawyer, despite the hystronics(sp). I want Casey to have the very best defense possible, a great trial with lots of excellent arguments from both sides.

Then I want them to walk Casey's sorry a$$ down that long hallway to either LWOP or the DP.

I did not know where to put this, so I am putting it here.

It just occurred to me, that AL's constant repeating of "they are trying to kill my client", and just all the kill, kill, kill stuff she says, is what she is having to do with KC. KC just is not getting it, therefore, when AL speaks of the case, she speaks as she would to KC.

I actually like AL's constant use of the word "kill" because it's constantly in my face that Casey really did "kill, kill, kill" her daughter Caylee.

I actually like AL's constant use of the word "kill" because it's constantly in my face that Casey really did "kill, kill, kill" her daughter Caylee.

Hmmm... Maybe the SA should use comments like "Everything you hear the word "KILL", remember that is what happened to Caylee. When you hear the word MURDER, remember that is what happened to baby Caylee."

Right down the line. All AL's key words...

A friend had purchased a copy of this book, and she lent it to me. It was a hard read, and made me dislike her more. Perhaps, if she wasn't involved in the A case I would have a different take on her book.

Hmmm... Maybe the SA should use comments like "Everything you hear the word "KILL", remember that is what happened to Caylee. When you hear the word MURDER, remember that is what happened to baby Caylee."

..i absolutely agree with you on that.

..per her 'speaking engagement' on youtube, instructing defense attny's to use the word "KILL" to the jury-----making THEM feel bad for "killing"...

..in this case, b/c she's thrown the KILL word out there so many times, it's lost the shock effect. is this her master plan when arguing the DP?

..on the other hand-----if the SA uses the word KILL---as in what happened to caylee-----it NEVER loses shock value.

http://www.illinoislawyernow.com/20...no-event-with-angel-of-death-row-author-lyon/

Jenner & Block will host an event on Thursday, Jan. 21, celebrating pro bono work on capital cases and honor Andrea D. Lyon, a distinguished death penalty defense lawyer, DePaul Law professor and the author of Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer.

This event begins at 5:30 p.m. at Jenner & Block, 353 N. Clark. Ms. Lyon will be available to sign copies of her book. Hors d’oeuvres and wine will be served.

Click here to register online or contact Kristine A. Stassen at (312) 923-8524 or at kstassen@jenner.com for more information.

Does anyone recall whether or not AL kept this commitment? Why am I recalling that she didn't (and why is the name of the contact person, K Stassen, ringing my familiar bell????)

I agree with you. The defense better be careful picking a jury that will think it is horrible that the state wants to “kill” their client. The jury will have that same repulsion for KC if they indeed think she killed her baby.

She bored me so in her lecture she gave about the death penalty to the judge in the recent hearing, I literally left my office for a errand even though I had been looking so forward to the hearing. She may as well have been a senator reading from his mother's cookbook for a filibuster.
My favorite parts were
the judge asking her if she isn't asking him to reinvent the wheel
and Mr. Ashton saying that she argued her OPINION ....EXTENSIVELY...BUT NOT THE LAW.

Thank God for out Patty, so we can watch what parts we wish on her youtube videos.

http://www.illinoislawyernow.com/20...no-event-with-angel-of-death-row-author-lyon/

Jenner & Block will host an event on Thursday, Jan. 21, celebrating pro bono work on capital cases and honor Andrea D. Lyon, a distinguished death penalty defense lawyer, DePaul Law professor and the author of Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer.

This event begins at 5:30 p.m. at Jenner & Block, 353 N. Clark. Ms. Lyon will be available to sign copies of her book. Hors d’oeuvres and wine will be served.

Click here to register online or contact Kristine A. Stassen at (312) 923-8524 or at kstassen@jenner.com for more information.

Does anyone recall whether or not AL kept this commitment? Why am I recalling that she didn't (and why is the name of the contact person, K Stassen, ringing my familiar bell????)

Quoting my own post...LOL!

But I wonder if the bolded underlined above could imply that Andrea Lyon is working this case as pro bono?

Or would it still be considered pro bono if her compensation was a signed future book deal in regards to the case?

Quoting my own post...LOL!

But I wonder if the bolded underlined above could imply that Andrea Lyon is working this case as pro bono?

Or would it still be considered pro bono if her compensation was a signed future book deal in regards to the case?

Oh I think all of them are on the case pro bono, because the national and international exposure they have and will continue to get from this case...cannot be measured. That goes for the experts too. If I recall correctly one of the lawyers in the Anna Nicole case , D. Opri I believe, said something to Greta or Nancy one night in a joking manner that the only way a high profile lawyer remains high profile is to keep their face in the news. That sums it up. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

We know Professor Lyons just released a book.

Dr. Badden and his wife Linda Kenny Badden released a book this year.

Kathy Reichs the forensic anthropologist released a book, 206 Bones.

Dr. Werner Spitz is the author and editor of the textbook, Medicolegal Investigation of Death, now in its third edition and considered to be the authoritative textbook in this specialty, worldwide.

Dr. Lee has a book out currently too.

We see them often on news and cable shows giving commentary, even about this case. So they clearly enjoy the limelight.
From Bean E "*Very* interesting comment from Richard Hornsby on his blog in regards to the experts:

Richard Hornsby says:
December 29, 2009 at 10:38 am

snippet

...the problem an expert witness list creates for Baez is two-fold.

1. It requires your experts to finally give their opinion – and an opinion is no good unless is supports your theory. If their opinion does not support your theory, you don’t list them.

2. It allows the State to inquire into how they are getting paid, by whom, and financial arrangements they have made, and media rights they have negotiated, etc. And if the experts are doing this “pro bono” the State can then go into ulterior reasons they agreed to work on the case – books that are coming out, etc.

3. Finally, when the State deposes an expert (or any attorney deposes the other sides’ expert) the opponent has to pay the expert what the expert charges the hiring attorney. So if these experts are not charging Baez, they are not allowed to charge the State.

Basically the witness list opens Pandora’s Financial Box for Mr. Baez."

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2009/...time/#comments

So this explains why the defense is holding out as long as possible to produce their witness list. I could be wrong, but it seems to me Andrea has gotten a lot of mileage from being on this case. I guess we will find out if and how the lawyers have been paid if and when they declare Casey indigent. Is that correct that they will have to divulge that or can it forever remain private, and going forward whoever stays on the case will get the designated rate the state pays the court appointed attorney?

Oh I think all of them are on the case pro bono, because the national and international exposure they have and will continue to get from this case...cannot be measured. That goes for the experts too. If I recall correctly one of the lawyers in the Anna Nicole case , D. Opri I believe, said something to Greta or Nancy one night in a joking manner that the only way a high profile lawyer remains high profile is to keep their face in the news. That sums it up.

Although D Opri was being paid, and very handsomely if I recall correctly (although I believe she eventually had to take a settlement!)

Oh I think all of them are on the case pro bono, because the national and international exposure they have and will continue to get from this case...cannot be measured. That goes for the experts too. If I recall correctly one of the lawyers in the Anna Nicole case , D. Opri I believe, said something to Greta or Nancy one night in a joking manner that the only way a high profile lawyer remains high profile is to keep their face in the news. That sums it up. I could be wrong, but that is my guess.

(CLIPPED)

I guess we will find out if and how the lawyers have been paid if and when they declare Casey indigent. Is that correct that they will have to divulge that or can it forever remain private, and going forward whoever stays on the case will get the designated rate the state pays the court appointed attorney?

I am not totally convinced that they will even attempt to have KC deemed indigent (or if they even can at this point?) but will instead let the taxpayers pick up the bill!!

In the one other murder case Baez defended (as retained attorney for Nilton Diaz) after conviction (5/08), Baez solicited the court for Defts Due Process Costs.

11/24/2009 498 DEFT NOT PRESENT FOR MOTION HRG; ATTY JOSE GARCIA PRESENT (VIA TELEPHONE) FROM ATTY JOSE BAEZ'S OFFICE; ATTY BRAD BISCHOFF PRESENT (VIA TELEPHONE) FROM JAC; RE: DEFENSE'S MOTION FOR DETERMINATION OF ATTORNEY'S DUE PROCESS COSTS: ATTY BAEZ'S OFFICE AND J.A.C. TO GO OVER COSTS IN QUESTION AND SUBMIT PROPOSED ORDER TO COURT.

11/20/2009 497 NOTICE OF TELEPHONIC HEARING FOR: DETERMINATION OF DEFT'S ATTY'S DUE PROCESS COST ON 112409 AT 1:00 PM - PER JUDGE - FILE Attorney: BAEZ, JOSE A (0013232)

11/12/2009 494 DEFT NOT PRESENT FOR HEARING; ATTY BAEZ PRES; DEFENSE MOTION FOR DETERMINATION OF DEFT ATTY'S DUE PROCESS COSTS; COURT TAKES UNDER ADVISEMENT & RESERVES RULING

10/5/2009 490 NOTICE OF HEARING FOR: DETERMINATION OF DEFENDANT'S ATTORNEY'S DUE PROCESS COST - 111209 AT 1:30 PM Attorney: BAEZ, JOSE A (0013232)

9/24/2009 489 MOTION FOR HEARING FOR DETERMINATION OF DEFENDANT'S ATTORNEY'S DUE PROCESS COSTS

http://lakecountyclerk.org/online_court_records.asp

(But I am afraid we are going offtopic?)

If attorneys are not being paid where did all that money go and did KC have to report the money to IRS as income?

Free right now for the Kindle: Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer by Andrea D. Lyon. Now that's a price I can deal with:)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Death-Row-Penalty-ebook/dp/B003FK5PT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1294843370&sr=1-1&tag=okbo-20"]Amazon.com: Angel of Death Row: My Life as a Death Penalty Defense Lawyer eBook: Andrea D Lyon: Kindle Store[/ame]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch
Back