Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too am stepping away, I think this has gone on to long and to what end, the child doesnt feel, hear,see, speak, walk, or even move.....Her heart is only beating because of a machine,she breaths because of a machine....I know that sounds ugly, but the truth sometimes is....

I think the whole situation is so sad. I guess I feel that if her family is not ready to say good-bye, then they should be allowed the time they need if they have a facility that will allow it.

I am more concerned about the children that this hospital treats, now and in the future. I have read many horrible things said about the hospital, the doctors, and the nurses in the news headlines and comments, and I know that is likely to affect other children who are ill and in need of treatment from this hospital. If mistakes were made, then the courtroom is the place to address those mistakes, not the press or social media.

Nobody is ever perfect, and it is possible that this girl's care was somehow compromised, but that does not negate all of the good that these doctors and nurses and this hospital does on a daily basis for sick children. It seems to me that that fact could easily be lost in the press.

If the transfer will take place after 5 PM, then there is a need for a restraining order.

No there is not. The hospital has said that they will cooperate with plans to transfer Jahi. They would not callously turn off the vent if they had proof that a transfer was in the works. They have already changed their policies to accommodate this family and they are begging for the information they need to facilitate the transfer. It's the family that are not cooperating by providing the information.

this is extending the inevitable.

as hard as it is to deal with the death of a child, when will the family understand that what is in front of them is a battered shell, that jahi is gone?

as another poster pointed out, they are religious so why they cannot understand that this child is truly gone, according to their beliefs there is nothing for her to fear and they should have comfort on the knowledge they will see jahi again...

Chances are the insurer of Jahi has notified CHO that they will no longer pay for her medical care once she was declared brain dead. If that is the case, CHO has been "eating" the costs which can run on average of 2-5K per day. So, if Jahi is moved to New York, who is going to pay for her care? Does the family have the means to keep her on life support indefinitely? Does the whole family then have to move to New York? If the new facility in New York takes her, are they going to care for her gratis?

I am very confused by all of this. I have never heard of anything like this in all my 30 plus healthcare years. I am simply stunned.

@nicksmithnews: #BREAKING attorney for family of #JahiMcMath confirms "we have a facility & air ambulance for Jahi."

I'll believe it when they provide the hospital with the docementation necessary to transfer Jahi. Until then it's nothing more than more misleading information being released to the media by the family.

Does anyone know the possibilty of Jahi's heart stopping while still on the vent? The thought of hospital staff having to treat a decomposing body for a lengthy period of time as well as the other patients endure a decomposing body during their hospital stay repulses me.

This is no longer a circus, it's horror show.

this is extending the inevitable.

as hard as it is to deal with the death of a child, when will the family understand that what is in front of them is a battered shell, that jahi is gone?

as another poster pointed out, they are religious so why they cannot understand that this child is truly gone, according to their beliefs there is nothing for her to fear and they should have comfort on the knowledge they will see jahi again...

Everyone's faith is a personal walk. Just because they are "religious" doesn't mean they should understand things the way you stated it.

I think the religion topic should be avoided because none of us know their walk.

JMO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For all we know, the "doctor" who will accompany Jahi's body on the flight to NY is Dr Byrne, who doesn't believe in brain death.

No there is not. The hospital has said that they will cooperate with plans to transfer Jahi. They would not callously turn off the vent if they had proof that a transfer was in the works. They have already changed their policies to accommodate this family and they are begging for the information they need to facilitate the transfer. It's the family that are not cooperating by providing the information.

Moot point. Judge Grillo has extended time...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/...rain-dead-says-ny-facility-is-last-last-hope/

I respectfully disagree. This situation is causing a LOT of hurt, pain and grief to many people. Not least Jahi's siblings and the families of other patients at the hospital. It could even be deadly for another child if the ICU bed is needed and is unavailable because Jahi is there.

I'd rather her siblings growing up believing everything humanly possible was done for their sister than the hospital hurt her then unplugged her.
I'm sure other parents have more important things to concerns themselves with, like their own children.
I'd need a link stating that another child could be denied a bed or treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I know this sounds weird...but if Jahi's soul is already in heaven, maybe she can talk some sense into her family. Don't mean that in a disrespectful way at all.
They won't listen to anyone else...

It doesn't sound weird. I thought the same thing.

jahi's case reminds me a bit of the karen ann quinlan case, she was in a coma and the family did not want to keep her in a ventilator. it was very controversial as the parents wanted her to be allowed to die rather that being kept alive.

the main difference is that jahi is brain dead, karen ann was comatose.

it was a landmark case re: the right to die with dignity:

http://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/12/n...an-31-dies-focus-of-76-right-to-die-case.html

Chances are the insurer of Jahi has notified CHO that they will no longer pay for her medical care once she was declared brain dead. If that is the case, CHO has been "eating" the costs which can run on average of 2-5K per day.

So, if Jahi is moved to New York, who is going to pay for her care?
IMO it's none of our business. At the very least, it is not our concern.

Does the family have the means to keep her on life support indefinitely?

Does the whole family then have to move to New York?

If the new facility in New York takes her, are they going to care for her gratis?

I am very confused by all of this. I have never heard of anything like this in all my 30 plus healthcare years. I am simply stunned.

My comments are in blue

I wonder how a brain dead ventilator dependent patient could tolerate the high altitude for the length a flight from CA to NY would take.
Just thinking about cabin pressure etc.
Maybe it isn't as difficult as I am imagining it.
Moo

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

I think it more likely that the facility sent its own physician to Cali to evaluate the patient in person.....no need for a telephone call between the new facility and Oakland Children's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila