Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
Something I have discovered since my COPD diagnoses is everything has to be prescribed by a Dr. Physical therapy, resp therapy, oxygen for both at home and portable, wheel chairs, pretty much any equipment and physical therapies need to have it. In some ways I can understand that, but in other ways it's irritating.

The reason why I mentioned it is because if it for insurance coverage for her care, it has been previously brought up that insurance billing, due to her state, could possibly be considered fraud.

Regarding guardian ad litem for Jahi.

If you read the court docs (sorry, I do not have links handy) Jahi's mother has been named as her guardian ad litem, and is referred to as her GAL in the documents.

I'm not actually sure why the bio mom with custody has to be named GAL, but apparently it had to be done. Perhaps someone with more legal knowledge can explain.

The GAL descriptor for Mrs. Winkfield caught my eye as I was reading, and I wondered why.

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/...new-beginnings-court-documents-show-1.6699484

another article from LI and it questions if the New Beginnings can handle Jahi.

quote:
New Beginnings president Allyson Scerri and its vice president, Kate DiMeglio, read from a prepared statement Tuesday afternoon regarding McMath, but it was unclear whether the facility is equipped to handle the case.

Neither Scerri nor DiMeglio answered questions. Scerri called McMath a "little angel who deserves a chance to be cared for with dignity and respect."

Scerri also said McMath "has been defined as a deceased person yet she has all the functional attributes of a living person, despite her brain injury."

http://www.newsday.com/news/health/...new-beginnings-court-documents-show-1.6699484

another article from LI and it questions if the New Beginnings can handle Jahi.

quote:
New Beginnings president Allyson Scerri and its vice president, Kate DiMeglio, read from a prepared statement Tuesday afternoon regarding McMath, but it was unclear whether the facility is equipped to handle the case.

Neither Scerri nor DiMeglio answered questions. Scerri called McMath a "little angel who deserves a chance to be cared for with dignity and respect."

Scerri also said McMath "has been defined as a deceased person yet she has all the functional attributes of a living person, despite her brain injury."

BBM. That is all I need to hear to know that they have no idea what they're talking about.

Good morning, friends :wave: --- I read a bit last night but couldn't bring myself to post anymore. I am tired. Very tired. I believe in a god of my own understanding, and I know god gives us beautiful things every day; but god DOES NOT revive the death or turn back time.

I am tired to see this little lawyer profiting from what appears to be an uneducated family's grief. Someone ready to slam one of the most regarded hospitals in the country for a few bucks; while a dead child lies unburied and disrespected. Giving false hope to a grief-stricken parent should be a crime.

I am not sure I can continue actively participating on this. It is enraging and I truly dislike loosing my cool. I think I will best put my energies on the living for today. You are all amazing peoplessssss, no matter which side of the issue you stand on --- you are strong, loving and caring human beings; and I am beyond fortunate to have you all to go through trial after trial, sentence after sentence, one day at a time.

Peace and coffee, y'all.

4079 sound rd is the location of the new beginnings home. It looks like it is not renovated. I know that the map is dated a year ago but the web page for that site is saying that they are still needing money, 200,000.00 they are open to accepting donations for the renovations.

i actually drove past there on Sunday. it is NOT ready and open. there are construction trucks dumpster etc still there. i find this very confusing. it is stated to be outpatient as well. idk how this would work for her.

i am positive it will be a great place in the future but as of now.... no.

I'm late to the discussion on this, but I wanted to comment on the "second opinion by Mrs. Winkfield" discussion.

I never interpreted that to mean that she was doctor shopping to find someone to do the surgery. Quite the opposite. My impression was that she got the second opinion because the first opinion recommended the surgery because Jahi's OSA situation was "severe" (term used in at least 2 MSM articles). My sense was that she was expressing guilt that she didn't originally feel the situation was serious enough to require surgery, but was persuaded after the second opinion, and wished she hadn't gone for the second opinion. I think it's possible she was encouraged to get the second opinion, to validate the findings of the first opinion.

I have no way of knowing this for sure, of course. But parents typically don't go around trying to persuade ENT surgeons to do a major triple procedure for sleep apnea for their 13 year old teens. I think Jahi's sleep apnea was sufficiently severe, in combination with her other conditions, that meant that the risk/ benefit scale tipped in favor of doing the procedure.

No one does these T & A/ UPP's in kids with mild cases of sleep apnea. ENT does not "love" doing these kind of procedures, IMO. They do them almost reluctantly, when there is a serious need, as part of a multimodal approach to working on serious health problems. IMO, they never minimize the seriousness. She had an ICU bed planned for after the surgery-- that tells anyone how much they were taking things seriously.

It really bugs me that the media persists in referring to this cluster of procedures as "routine". :banghead:

i actually drove past there on Sunday. it is NOT ready and open. there are construction trucks dumpster etc still there. i find this very confusing. it is stated to be outpatient as well. idk how this would work for her.

i am positive it will be a great place in the future but as of now.... no.

I think what they are planning to do with that facility (Brendan House) is to provide a place for home care agencies to come in to provide care to someone who just happens to "live" there. That is the only way I can see that they can get around licensing and regulation as a long term care facility. They will have to meet residential code for number of occupants, electrical, septic/ sewer, etc, but if they are not officially a hospital or nursing home, they don't have to have all the equipment and meet building codes for a hospital or nursing home. KWIM?

There is a little bit more about the house project in this article.

http://riverheadnewsreview.timesrev...4k-to-brendan-house-pledge-2k-more-each-year/

Once completed, the group home will provide round-the-clock care for eight residents. The aides that will work at the home will not stay overnight, and a house mother will live in a separate house on the property.

The people that have this facility seem absolutely wonderful and caring. I agree with KZ that there work is very valuable.

It's just not a facility that would meet the requirements that are necessary to care for Jahi's body.

I think what they are planning to do with that facility (Brendan House) is to provide a place for home care agencies to come in to provide care to someone who just happens to "live" there. That is the only way I can see that they can get around licensing and regulation as a long term care facility. They will have to meet residential code for number of occupants, electrical, septic/ sewer, etc, but if they are not officially a hospital or nursing home, they don't have to have all the equipment and meet building codes for a hospital or nursing home. KWIM?

So, in your opinion, would it be accurate to say that the family attorney has deliberately misled the courts ( again) regarding a facility equipped to receive Jahi upon medical transport?

Thank you for discussing this tragic, somber, controversial case with respect and grace. Hug your loved ones today as everyday is precious!!!!

I don't think this family will find any facility to take her. She is brain dead. I presume that means insurance won't pay to take care of her body.
Which would involve considerable care. It's hard to keep a body alive with a dead brain.
The NY facility doesn't appear to be equipped to take care of her at all. It's an outpatient facility.
How can she possibly be an outpatient?

I don't think this family will find any facility to take her. She is brain dead. I presume that means insurance won't pay to take care of her body.
Which would involve considerable care. It's hard to keep a body alive with a dead brain.
The NY facility doesn't appear to be equipped to take care of her at all. It's an outpatient facility.
How can she possibly be an outpatient?

And from all I have read in regards to this place they would not be able to accommodate and patient on a vent or feeding tube. So I have to wonder again why the demands for a feeding tube.

So, in your opinion, would it be accurate to say that the family attorney has deliberately misled the courts ( again) regarding a facility equipped to receive Jahi upon medical transport?

Yes.

(lengthening reply to meet minimum character length)

In a Dec. 29 letter to Dolan, Scerri wrote that she was "aware of Jahi McMath's dire situation and we are willing to open our outpatient facility" to her in a new facility called The Brendan House, which is "near completion." She wrote that she would provide Jahi with nursing staff, licensed respiratory therapists and a pediatrician. Her letter does not address cost, or who would pay for the services.

Scerri's website biography states she owned a beauty salon and then became a "leader in the health field began years ago when she started a support group for women with infertility problems." The site said she opened the center when her father suffered a TBI in a motorcycle accident. Steve Scerri is listed as the vice president of the company; his past business experience includes founding a cemetery center and three self-storage facilities.

Nowhere on the site does the center state it addresses people who have been declared "brain dead," which is the same thing as legal death in California and other states

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...in-Injury-Center-in-Medford-NY-238236061.html

Upthread I questioned when Paul Byrne met Jahi and got a partial answer here.
There is a video of Dr. Paul Byrne speaking about Jahi and at the time of the video (Dec. 27) he had not seen her.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...in-Injury-Center-in-Medford-NY-238236061.html

I dunno... if she's rich enough to "provide" Jahi with nursing staff and respiratory therapists as well as a pediatrician's services, why is the Brendan House still not ready? I assume it's for lack of funds as they're still asking for donations but she could have provided that, presumably...

Brendan house is near completion? What are they going to do with her in the meantime? Keep her on a sidewalk?
The mind boggles.

Yeah, even she admits it's not complete, (house). But if medical pays the bills they can probably have some contractor there by monday to start the renovations. This is a light at the end of her tunnel. jmo

joypath It would be great to hear what you think about the brain death. Unless you would rather not. TIA

Brendan house is near completion? What are they going to do with her in the meantime? Keep her on a sidewalk?
The mind boggles.

I don't think she realizes that brain death is not going to be a chronic situation for Jahi and it could be over for Jahi before her house is furnished. One of the links above said that her facility is dedicated to Terri Schiavo, and Terri Schiavo lingered on for years. Maybe she's picturing something like that? Jahi could move in whenever the house is finished and stay for a long time.

Unless it's another case of, oh I know it's useless but I'll get our names in the papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop