Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, even she admits it's not complete, (house). But if medical pays the bills they can probably have some contractor there by monday to start the renovations. This is a light at the end of her tunnel. jmo

So they are suggesting that a medical plane should take her to NY, to a house that is not even finished.
Even if contractor shows up there on Monday to start the renovation, her stay in CHO has only been extended until December 7th.
This idea just sounds like a joke to me.

Good morning, friends :wave: --- I read a bit last night but couldn't bring myself to post anymore. I am tired. Very tired. I believe in a god of my own understanding, and I know god gives us beautiful things every day; but god DOES NOT revive the death or turn back time.

I am tired to see this little lawyer profiting from what appears to be an uneducated family's grief. Someone ready to slam one of the most regarded hospitals in the country for a few bucks; while a dead child lies unburied and disrespected. Giving false hope to a grief-stricken parent should be a crime.

I am not sure I can continue actively participating on this. It is enraging and I truly dislike loosing my cool. I think I will best put my energies on the living for today. You are all amazing peoplessssss, no matter which side of the issue you stand on --- you are strong, loving and caring human beings; and I am beyond fortunate to have you all to go through trial after trial, sentence after sentence, one day at a time.

Peace and coffee, y'all.

You are not alone in your thoughts, sweetie, and if you weren't so caring yourself this wouldn't upset you like it is. Big hugs <3

I don't think she realizes that brain death is not going to be a chronic situation for Jahi and it could be over for Jahi before her house is furnished. One of the links above said that her facility is dedicated to Terri Schiavo, and Terri Schiavo lingered on for years. Maybe she's picturing something like that? Jahi could move in whenever the house is finished and stay for a long time.

Unless it's another case of, oh I know it's useless but I'll get our names in the papers.

But Schiavo wasn't brain dead. Her brain stem was functioning just fine. Schiavo was on a feeding tube, not on ventillator. Which is why Schiavo could last for years, and could have lasted a lot longer if feeding tube wasn't removed.

But Schiavo wasn't brain dead. Her brain stem was functioning just fine. Schiavo was on a feeding tube, not on ventillator. Which is why Schiavo could last for years, and could have lasted a lot longer if feeding tube wasn't removed.

You and I know that but I'm not sure she does.

My FIL was airlifted by helicopter 40 miles to a level one trauma center recently, at a cost of $25K.

When he was moved to an acute care rehab hospital across the city, his ground ambulance transport bill was $14K.

How in the world will an air ambulance JET be able to move a vent dependent patient clear across the country for $27K, unless they are doing it for that fee as a donation of services? That wouldn't even cover aircraft operating costs.

From my experiences as a military flight nurse, I question whether or not a small jet can even do that trip on "one tank" of fuel, without stopping mid country to refuel.

So, what happens if the plane has a maintenance issue while refueling on the ground that takes hours to fix, or get another plane? What happens if the ET is dislodged? What happens if her heart has rhythm disturbances? Will they treat this on the tarmac, or try to admit her body to a local facility? There are soooo many issues surrounding the movement of this girl's body, that I can't even begin to describe it. For example, can they declare an inflight medical emergency for a patient declared brain dead, in order to obtain expedited landing somewhere?

I flew airevac for 4 1/2 years on active duty in the pacific, middle east, and europe, and another 3 years as a reservist. I can't wrap my head around all the issues surrounding this potential move. It isn't "just" planning for the ventilator, oxygen, and electrical inverters, etc. There are other fairly complicated things to coordinate, including ground transportation at either end, and any stops.

My FIL was airlifted by helicopter 40 miles to a level one trauma center recently, at a cost of $25K.

When he was moved to an acute care rehab hospital across the city, his ground ambulance transport bill was $14K.

How in the world will an air ambulance JET be able to move a vent dependent patient clear across the country for $27K, unless they are doing it for that fee as a donation of services? That wouldn't even cover aircraft operating costs.

From my experiences as a military flight nurse, I question whether or not a small jet can even do that trip on "one tank" of fuel, without stopping mid country to refuel.

So, what happens if the plane has a maintenance issue while refueling on the ground that takes hours to fix, or get another plane? What happens if the ET is dislodged? What happens if her heart has rhythm disturbances? Will they treat this on the tarmac, or try to admit her body to a local facility? There are soooo many issues surrounding the movement of this girl's body, that I can't even begin to describe it. For example, can they declare an inflight medical emergency for a patient declared brain dead, in order to obtain expedited landing somewhere?

I flew airevac for 4 1/2 years on active duty in the pacific, middle east, and europe, and another 3 years as a reservist. I can't wrap my head around all the issues surrounding this potential move. It isn't "just" planning for the ventilator, oxygen, and electrical inverters, etc. There are other fairly complicated things to coordinate, including ground transportation at either end, and any stops.

It may be a moot point as I don't see the hospital allowing this unless a court orders them to allow the family to move Jahi's body to a NY construction site.

Scerri called McMath a "little angel who deserves a chance to be cared for with dignity and respect."
http://www.newsday.com/news/health/...new-beginnings-court-documents-show-1.6699484

Dignity and respect are in the eye of the beholder, apparently, as I don't see anything dignified and respectful about the plan.

What are the other group home residents going to think of a deceased person in their cosy little group?

This really has become a joke. Just grasping at straws for absolutely no reason other then selfishness. jmo And the people assisting in this should be ashamed of themselves. At what time will this be corpse abuse. It's sad.

I wonder why family hasn't suggested to take her home. There was another case of a brain dead boy the family took home. After one month his heart stopped beating.
With donations they could probably get some nurses to come in and take her of her.

Scerri also said McMath "has been defined as a deceased person yet she has all the functional attributes of a living person, despite her brain injury."

Um, what? This really confuses me. What "functional attributes" is she referring to?

New York doctors urge ‘hope’ for ‘brain-dead’ Jahi McMath
The 13-year-old Oakland girl, a victim of a tonsillectomy gone wrong, is scheduled to have her life-support pulled Jan. 7. ‘Why do we want to jump ahead and pull the plug on this 13-year-old girl who may have a chance to recover?’ asks International Brain Research Foundation CEO Dr. Phil Defina.

BY JOEL LANDAU / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2013, 1:26 PM

snip

"Dr. Jonathan Fellus, the chief medical officer with the International Brain Research Foundation, a nonprofit group that specializes in treating coma patients and claims to have helped hundreds of people deemed brain dead awaken from comas, is in California to assist Jahi McMath's family."

Be sure to Google the two doctors. Don't miss scandal, Meadowlands, New Jersey, etc.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...d-jahi-mcmath-article-1.1562427#ixzz2p5GIZIBl

New York doctors urge &#8216;hope&#8217; for &#8216;brain-dead&#8217; Jahi McMath
The 13-year-old Oakland girl, a victim of a tonsillectomy gone wrong, is scheduled to have her life-support pulled Jan. 7. &#8216;Why do we want to jump ahead and pull the plug on this 13-year-old girl who may have a chance to recover?&#8217; asks International Brain Research Foundation CEO Dr. Phil Defina.

BY JOEL LANDAU / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 31, 2013, 1:26 PM

snip

"Dr. Jonathan Fellus, the chief medical officer with the International Brain Research Foundation, a nonprofit group that specializes in treating coma patients and claims to have helped hundreds of people deemed brain dead awaken from comas, is in California to assist Jahi McMath's family."

Be sure to Google the two doctors. Don't miss scandal, Meadowlands, New Jersey, etc.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...d-jahi-mcmath-article-1.1562427#ixzz2p5GIZIBl

They must be too busy helping the braindead to write sensational medical articles as I can't find anything in Pubmed by either of these authors about braindead people who recovered.

I foresee that more donations will be needed:
DeFina&#8217;s work also is non-traditional because it is so costly and is not covered by insurance plans. DeFina requires upwards of $150,000 for payment for his services. He said he has no choice but to charge until the medical and insurance industries accept his protocols, something that is a very difficult task when it comes to non-traditional medical methods.
http://newjerseyhills.com/observer-...cle_3b27896c-7810-11e1-9cb0-001871e3ce6c.html

He should perhaps do the research to prove the effectiveness... JMO.

Brendan house is near completion? What are they going to do with her in the meantime? Keep her on a sidewalk?
The mind boggles.

My opinion only, but with news of a not-completed facility that is asking for donations to finish construction, and now this other guy who wants to use his "device" on Jahi, I'm thinking that there are people coming out of the woodwork to use this poor child to further their own interests.

I hope to heaven that I'm wrong.

It bothers me to see Jahi's case compared to Terri's. Terri was NOT (nor was she ever declared) brain dead. Terri could legitimately respond to external stimuli.

ETA: Removed quote from Donjeta's post....I should have instead quoted the msm article that compared the two cases. Apologies!

What was it I said yesterday, about this being close to vivisection, except being performed on an artificially 'alive' person? Seems like Jahi will get to be used as a tool in all sorts of agendas. Shame on the court system for not putting a stop to this shameful carnival act.

IMO.

Ditto. I would think it will be the same as the lower court. At least I hope so. How can a court make a doctor do this? :waitasec:

The thought of what might be exposed if the surgeries the family is demanding on Jahi occur is repulsive. I've wondered if she can even be embalmed at this point.

There are no words.

It bothers me to see Jahi's case compared to Terri's. Terri was NOT (nor was she ever declared) brain dead. Terri could legitimately respond to external stimuli.

Please read my post again. I did not say that Terri Schiavo was braindead and the point was not that the cases are so similar, the point was that they're different.

I wonder if it is going to come down to the judge telling Ms. Winkfield the inevitable.

Please read my post again. I did not say that Terri Schiavo was braindead and the point was not that the cases are so similar, the point was that they're different.

Oh no no, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean that YOU were comparing the two cases, just that others (including msm and the NY "facility" staff) have begun to do so. :seeya: I have edited my original post.

Exploitation: Utilization of another person or group for selfish purposes

the use of something, esp. for profit:

To avail one-self of every opportunity to attain a given end; to seek support from opposing camps, to court the favor of rival interests; to walk a tightrope or to play both ends against the middle. The phrase probably derives from salesmen&#8217;s lingo. Currently it is said of one who compromises principle in an attempt to garner some desideratum, who slants his approach or his pitch to align with what his listeners will &#8220;buy.&#8221;

DeFina sat behind the desk of his new office off Route 206 and spoke about his treatment protocols. They include a complex combination of about 15 drugs, 18 nutrients and electrical stimulation of the brain.

A device is connected to the patient's wrist to send intermittent, electrical stimulation from the median nerve to the brain. The electric stimuli increases blood supply and subsequently oxygen flow to the brain. Defina said studies have shown that people in various states of coma have a 30 percent reduction in the amount of oxygen flowing to the brain.

http://newjerseyhills.com/observer-...cle_3b27896c-7810-11e1-9cb0-001871e3ce6c.html

Hard to see how electric stimulation would work in a brain that has been without perfusion for weeks. There's nothing to be stimulated any more. The drugs and nutrients wouldn't be getting there either.

Some of DeFina&#8217;s claims could not be confirmed such as his involvement in the evaluation of former Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon after he lapsed into a coma following a stroke in 2006.

&#8220;The Israelis made a political decision not to divulge information about what happened,&#8221; DeFina said.

DeFina also said his interest in treating traumatic brain injuries come partly from his service in the Army. He said he served from 1988-92 as part of the first Iraq war and that he was assigned to a military intelligence section where he worked on &#8220;special operations.&#8221;

He said he could not speak about his work because it was classified and could not immediately locate his discharge documents.

Maybe it's him and maybe it's the way this article is written but he sounds like a charlatan. Why would he even say anything about treating Sharon? Patient confidentiality and all that.

Another concern with DeFina&#8217;s protocol is that he does not rely on the so-called Glasgow Coma Scale, the standard measurement to determine the status of coma patients. Brennan said the Glasgow scale is not refined enough to show progress.

&#8220;The loved ones say they are absolutely more alert and absolutely there is improvement,&#8221; Brennan said. &#8220;We&#8217;re big fans of Dr. DeFina and Dr. Fellus.&#8221;

Well, of course the loved ones would say that if they've just scraped together $150.000 to pay for treatments... They would absolutely want to see some improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop