Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her family does not believe Jahi is now legally dead. Legal questions can only be answered by courts. Any of these courts could agree with them and reverse the ruling. Then what? Do you think her mother should be forced to pull the plug?

I think her mother brought her into this world and her wishes need to be considered & respected when talking about how her daughter is going to leave this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they will decide to allow their daughter to be a donor.

From what I have been reading, that can no longer be a possibility. :dunno: Maybe I'm wrong. :waitasec: If they could, I would hope it could at least give them some sort of comfort to know that she is "alive" in someone who really needed her. :twocents:

From what I have been reading, that can no longer be a possibility. :dunno: Maybe I'm wrong. :waitasec: If they could, I would hope it could at least give them some sort of comfort to know that she is "alive" in someone who really needed her. :twocents:

Based on what I've seen so far, there is no chance in.the.world they would ever agree to that. Even if it were possible. Which I'm pretty sure it isn't. jmo

"The family plans to keep Jahi on the ventilator long enough to have her flown to the New York facility, "an organization that believes in life," according to family attorney Christopher Dolan. The girl's uncle, Omari Sealey, said the family has contracted with an air ambulance to fly her across the country under the watch of a California doctor."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...tal-fights-court-remove-brain-dead?source=rss

BBM.. what? Surely that doesn't mean they will remove the vent and allow her to rest in peace. I guess it means they want her on the vent on the medical transport flight? Then they can do the trach when ever they get to whatever place they say they are whisking her away to? Isn't a vent a somewhat large machine that runs on electricity?

Tracheotomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The tracheotomy won't breathe for her, she would still need some sort of machine to pump air into her lungs. It's just a way for an airway to bypass her nose, mouth and throat.

Her family does not believe Jahi is now legally dead. Legal questions can only be answered by courts. Any of these courts could agree with them and reverse the ruling. Then what? Do you think her mother should be forced to pull the plug?

The question has already basically been answered, though. Independent experts were consulted and verified that she was dead. They don't believe she's dead, but the legal question has been satisfied. The courts have extended the deadline for turning off the ventilator, but they haven't come out and said she isn't dead, from anything I've read. The family may not believe it, but I don't believe at this point there's any legal question about it, beyond challenging the statute.

I think her mother brought her into this world and her wishes need to be considered & respected when talking about how her daughter is going to leave this world.

I agree with you and believe the courts do, too. Only a matter of time before the feds get involved...

[Winkfield v. Children Hospital Oakland (ND Cal. Dec. 30, 2013) (Exhibits 2 of 2)
Winkfield v. Children Hospital Oakland (ND Cal. Dec. 30, 2013) (Exhibits 1 of 2)
Winkfield v. Children Hospital Oakland (ND Cal. Dec. 30, 2013) (Complaint & Request TRO)
Mcmath v. Superior Court (Cal. App. Dec. 30, 2013) (writ petition)
Winkfield v. Children's Hospital Oakland (Alameda Cty. Cal., Dec. 24, 2013) (hospital motion to end TRO)
Winkfield v. Children Hospital Oakland (Alameda Cty. Cal., Dec. 2013) (physician declarations)
Winkfield v. Children's Hospital Oakland (Alameda Cty. Cal., Dec. 23, 2013) (court orders)
Winkfield v. Children's Hospital Oakland (Alameda Cty. Cal., Dec. 20, 2013) (TRO & hospital Opp.)]

The above was snipped from this article:
Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1661874#ixzz2p60oV2CI

Article is a press release by the Terri Schiavo network. An opportunistic press release. States they have been working on Jahi's behalf to help all of the above move forward.

Based on what I've seen so far, there is no chance in.the.world they would ever agree to that. Even if it were possible. Which I'm pretty sure it isn't. jmo

Was reading the link up thread ...the woman that was sustained for over 100 days ..her kidneys as well as her eyes were donated.

IMO the solution and finality would have best been reached with a more understanding and gentle approach.
All of this wrangling and strong arming & lawyers blew whatever chance of that.
I do blame whoever thought it was a good idea to yell, she's "dead dead dead"

Was reading the link up thread ...the woman that was sustained for over 100 days ..her kidneys as well as her eyes were donated.

I was thinking MAYBE her eyes. But I think the rest of her organs might not have been donatable to begin with. Then with the post-op arrest and trauma from the complications and intervention. And now the vent, etc. for weeks. I haven't read about that situation, but I have to think there may be some important differences. But, in any case, do you really think the family would go for that? I honestly thing there's no way. jmo

I agree, I can't see the family even considering organ donation. The rest is very confusing for me since I read about a woman who was declared brain dead, but was kept on a ventilator until her fetus was viable enough to be removed...21 days maybe? Likely just my lack of knowledge, but it seems a fetus, depending on the mother's body for life, would die as well. (Trust when I tell you I am stuuuuuuupid when it comes to physiology ...so it's ok to treat me as such when answering :)

I think the longest they've been able to maintain a fetus in a braindead mother's body is three months or so but apparently it fails more often than it succeeds. (Don't quote me on that as I don't have a link, it's just something from memory in one of the many many articles I've seen recently, here and the other thread on the pregnant braindead woman.)
In some cases they manage to keep the fetus alive until it's viable and some cases they don't.

But from what I gather, being successful in an organ transplant takes even more than being successful in maintaining the organ in the original braindead owner's body as there are many factors that can cause the recipient's body to reject the transplant. K_Z_ posted a link to a very informative e-book somewhere in these threads, about everything that can go wrong in a braindead organ donor's body so that an organ that still worked in the donor won't work in the recipient.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1661874

Interesting article sent out by the Terri Schiavo Network. An opportunistic press release. Looks like they have been doing much work for Jahi, behind the scenes.

I am a bit disappointed to see this. Terri and Jahi are apples and oranges, IMO. I can understand Terri's family wanting to offer emotional support to another grieving family but the situations are not at all the same. Terri did not require a ventilator to breathe. She could open her eyes, look around, move her extremities and vocalize pain or pleasure.

I was thinking MAYBE her eyes. But I think the rest of her organs might not have been donatable to begin with. Then with the post-op arrest and trauma from the complications and intervention. And now the vent, etc. for weeks. I haven't read about that situation, but I have to think there may be some important differences. But, in any case, do you really think the family would go for that? I honestly thing there's no way. jmo

I honestly have no stinking idea.
I've done my very best to put myself in her moms shoes. I do support her to a point. Not because I share her beliefs, because I don't. I'm defending her right to have her opinion respected and heard. She should have a say.
It's not about $$ to me and I find the way it's being discussed here a little shocking and frankly appalling.

If life and death decisions were based on money, I can think of a long list of candidates that could be next.

Money and ethics don't mix.

IMO people that have no idea where they are or who they are, would be on that list.
What will happen when the list of candidates grows based on money? If I had my way, it would.

Why does she need to be fed, she is deceased, these people cant be that blind.....its something new everyday .....Please let this end soon......

I am a bit disappointed to see this. Terri and Jahi are apples and oranges, IMO. I can understand Terri's family wanting to offer emotional support to another grieving family but the situations are not at all the same. Terri did not require a ventilator to breathe. She could open her eyes, look around, move her extremities and vocalize pain or pleasure.

Yes, Schiavo wasn't brain dead. She only needed a feeding tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop