Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was reading the link up thread ...the woman that was sustained for over 100 days ..her kidneys as well as her eyes were donated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... and her brain was basically soup.

No kidding, huh? Absurd and ghoulish. I literally almost can't believe these events are happening. I agree with whomever has said I think it's time that the mother gets some serious personal counseling or treatment. I'm not being sarcastic or disrespectful. I mean it 1000% jmo

I'm to the point where I just want her to be happy with where Jahi is and as satisfied as one can be under the circumstances with what's happening. And that is not going to be at CHO.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/vi...er-hospital-spokesperson-confront-each-other/

My apologies if this has already been posted...
Video of Dolan and Singer arguing Singer telling Dolan to stop this "hoax".
A media circus my friends.....

I can't get this exchange out of my head. This appears to be about who is right than about Jahi. Does Singer appear pugnacious to you all? He almost seemed like " How dare this ungreatful insipid mother defile and defame this institution after all we have done for her given the circumstances" kind of thing. (My words, not his)

Until this video, I truly did not believe that the administration would have said dead, dead, dead. Now I am not so sure. JMO

Suppose they do get the go ahead to move her and the inevitable happens before they reach destination, who will they blame or will they still be in denial.......

I can't get this exchange out of my head. This appears to be about who is right than about Jahi. Does Singer appear pugnacious to you all? He almost seemed like " How dare this ungreatful insipid mother defile and defame this institution after all we have done for her given the circumstances" kind of thing. (My words, not his)

Until this video, I truly did not believe that the administration would have said dead, dead, dead. Now I am not so sure. JMO

You read my posts about Singer, right? He is totally the wrong personality type to deal with this type of situation. We KNOW that something bad DID happen to this little girl. The hospital administration and their paid spokespeople need to be graciousness personified. It doesn't matter WHAT the family's attorney says. A mature person would not have stooped to his level but would have risen to the top with a cool head and conciliatory concern for the family and Jahi. Even if they had to fake it, they could have done better than Singer did.

I'm to the point where I just want her to be happy with where Jahi is and as satisfied as one can be under the circumstances with what's happening. And that is not going to be at CHO.

I don't think that's ever going to happen, honestly. Under current California law, she is dead-dead. I don't see the Court allowing her to be moved anywhere except as a body. If there was ever a chance that such a thing might happen, though, I guess the 9th Circuit would be the most likely venue. Even if, though, that would take at least a few months, and probably much, much longer. And that's also the one part of the whole scenario that probably (definitely, imo) can't be resolved via settlement.

jmo

My comments in blue.

Thank you so much!
My ICU ecperience was just
a week and as a student most of what we did was watch.
I was allowed to care for a 17 yr old who was standing in the bed of a truck at a red light.
The driver gunned it when it turned green and the boy landed on his head.
It wasn't pretty, but he was able to breathe on his own. (and vomit almost non stop)
I did have patients brought to the floor from ICU. They were stable other than caring for newly placed trachs and suctioning could communicate by writing.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my questions!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Is Ms. Scherri from the NY community center in TS network?
Because she quoted this sentence verbatim, or the other way around, not sure which was first.

And they explain further what they mean by the functional attributes

Jahi has respiration, huh? Sans machine?

Clearly this facility needs someone with a medical expertise to speak with the hospital to better understand the situation.

No kidding, huh? Absurd and ghoulish. I literally almost can't believe these events are happening. I agree with whomever has said I think it's time that the mother gets some serious personal counseling or treatment. I'm not being sarcastic or disrespectful. I mean it 1000% jmo

Dr. Zuri said the same thing. He had hoped her pastor could realistically help her come to terms with Jahi's condition, given her obvious distrust of CHO doctors. JMO

Dr. Zuri said the same thing. He had hoped her pastor could realistically help her come to terms with Jahi's condition, given her obvious distrust of CHO doctors. JMO

ah, so I'm in good company :)

I don't think that's going to be anywhere. How long before mom becomes impatient that Jahi isn't "getting better?" Given the circus of parties that has rallied around this poor woman, do you actually think any of them would dare allow her to be "satisfied?" Once she becomes satisfied, their objectives are no longer being met.

The best! Are you my husband? :)

No, lol, but I think I'd enjoy hanging with the Zuris some time.

And Happy New Year! (to everyone else, too). One of my kids is finally old enough that I get the pleasure of staying in and worrying about her into the wee hours. Cheers! :)

I just read almost every post in this thread, and I can't even begin to describe how unsettling and sad this is on so many levels. (Great posts everyone, by the way). I can't even wrap my brain around how this mom must be feeling....and that sweet little girl, poor baby. I'm rarely at a loss for words but this.... this is gut wrenching. There are always going to be opportunists wanting to capitalize on someone else's misfortune, but this is disgusting. It reminds me of Sylvia Browne in a way, how she took advantage of the desperate parents of missing children.

A few posters have said this was like a horror movie, did someone say Stephen King's Pet Cemetery? Because I can't get that out of my head when thinking about this. What lengths would you go? What lengths would I go?

Softail, I apologize if I misread what you said. I'm probably over sensitive at this point after having read so many disrespectful things said about this poor child on other sites.

I just have to wonder what the family's true end game is. I honestly do not think this is a money grab because the family has actually weakened it's case by having her body on mechanical support for this long because the changes/damage to her body in these last weeks will make it harder to determine what caused the initial event that lead to cardiac arrest and to determine fault, negligence, surgical error etc.
Certainly if Jahi does leave CHO, they would most likely be absolved of all responsibility since it would be difficult if not impossible to prove what happened or was done where.

I don't think that's going to be anywhere. How long before mom becomes impatient that Jahi isn't "getting better?" Given the circus of parties that has rallied around this poor woman, do you actually think any of them would dare allow her to be "satisfied?" Once she becomes satisfied, their objectives are no longer being met.

Playing Devil's advocate here: Since the child is brain dead, thus legally dead, is there really any fuss the mother can make once they are out of CHO? Their problem is with CHO and its legal representatives, and I do see her side of it too.

Rapid change of subject, but Happy New Year, everyone!!!! Be safe!

http://www.standardnewswire.com/news/669496151.html

An old article about the Terri Schiavo Network and the opening of the New Beginnings Community Center.

Terri Schiavo's sister says that there always remains hope for brain injury patients and the NBCC site expressed similar sentiments.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...terri-schiavo-group-secretly-leading-transfer

"Jahi McMath has been labeled a 'deceased' person. Yet she retains all the functional attributes of a living person, despite her brain injury," the organization said. "This includes a beating heart, circulation and respiration, the ability to metabolize nutrition and more. Jahi is a living human being."

New Beginnings founder and owner Allyson Scerri shared a statement on her Facebook page Tuesday explaining how her Medford, N.Y.-based facility "is about preserving life and treating brain-injured patients with care and dignity."

"We do encourage every citizen to take the time to educate themselves more clearly on the issues of what brain death is and what it is not," the New Beginnings statement read. "This child has been defined as a deceased person, yet she has all the functional attributes of a living person despite her brain injury."

I'm sure they have the best intentions but I do hope they take the time to educate themselves about what brain death is and what it is not before they bring Jahi in. It might be difficult to deal with the sudden realization that one functional attribute is missing and brain dead people don't have spontaneous respiration after all.

Another thing they also don't have, is hope.

The new facility is going to need more than a pediatrician on staff. This is a facility dealing with TBI, not brain death. IMO, The facility is going to have to be inspected, have protocols in place, meet OSHA guidelines, etc. Every single staff person will be required to know CPR down to knowledge of medical waste and infection control. Who is qualified enough to supervise all this? If Jahi codes, they call 911 and she is transported to the ER where the treating physicians will face resuscitating a brain dead person? OMG.

JMO, JMV, IMO

Apparently, the feelings of the parent(s) should be enough to overrule every other question of federal & state law, accepted medical practice, healthcare facility regulatory requirements, personal physician ethics, etc.

Excerpt from a book in a 2012 Discover article. Harvard study done in 1968. Lots for discussion in this article.

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/may/10-the-beating-heart-donors
Although the Harvard criteria were based on zero patients and no experiments were conducted either with humans or animals, they soon became the standard for declaring people dead in several states, and in 1981, the Uniform Determination of Death Act (UDDA) was sanctioned by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws. The UDDA is based on the Harvard Ad Hoc Committee’s report. That a four-page article defining death should be codified by all 50 states within 13 years is staggering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech