Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't even imagine what Jahi looks like right now. How can a family do this to this poor sweet girl?

IMO, They will blame anybody and everybody for letting their child die when the plug finally does get pulled.

I'm sure it will be "Why didn't you do enough to save my child". This is just how I see this ending and then Jahi's family suing the heck out of everyone.

JMO.

documents from hearing today also at link below.

The family's hopes were boosted Monday, when her grandmother said Jahi has been moving her legs and responding to her mother's voice, and her uncle said they have produced video to prove it. The family has declined to release the footage.

The hospital has dismissed such claims by Jahi's relatives, saying that any muscle activity was an involuntary muscle reflex.

bbm; http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...cmath-hospital-fights-court-remove-brain-dead

documents from hearing today also at link below.

The family's hopes were boosted Monday, when her grandmother said Jahi has been moving her legs and responding to her mother's voice, and her uncle said they have produced video to prove it. The family has declined to release the footage.

The hospital has dismissed such claims by Jahi's relatives, saying that any muscle activity was an involuntary muscle reflex.

bbm; http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...cmath-hospital-fights-court-remove-brain-dead

Gee, what a shocker. they don't want to release it because they have none IMO.

@michisreal: @LauraAnthony7 @abc7newsBayArea if finances are not an issue, they should return all donations! They're lying. No insurance covers dead ppl
12/31/13 5:44 PM

http://brainimaging.waisman.wisc.edu/~perlman/Thukdam/Readings/J Med Philos 2001 Shewmon.pdf

An article by Shewmon. His argument here seems to be that while the brain normally organizes somatic integration, there is still some of that going on in a brain dead patient, therefore they are not dead unless a nonmedical, conceptual definition of death is used, based on personhood or something like that.

This I think is the reference to his 150 cases but I can't see the full text.
http://www.neurology.org/content/51/6/1538.short

http://brainimaging.waisman.wisc.edu/~perlman/Thukdam/Readings/J Med Philos 2001 Shewmon.pdf

An article by Shewmon. His argument here seems to be that while the brain normally organizes somatic integration, there is still some of that going on in a brain dead patient, therefore they are not dead unless a nonmedical, conceptual definition of death is used, based on personhood or something like that.

This I think is the reference to his 150 cases but I can't see the full text.
http://www.neurology.org/content/51/6/1538.short

The first non-quack article I've seen on this subject; this reasoning is also closely mimicked in the press release by the Terry Schiavo foundation regarding their justification as to why Jahi is not dead.

About half way down in this article there is a video of the mother I hadn't seen yet.

She talks about CHO being a research hospital and she wants them to fix Jahi. She also mentions all the stories she has heard and seen of others that have recovered from this.

It's sad that all these people are feeding her false hope. That is making it even tougher for her to let go and the day will come when she will have to face that.

From a psychological perspective, I do not understand why people continue to participate in this false hope and miracle talk. I am talking about the ones that are well aware of what the outcome will be and the road that lays ahead. This is so unethical.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2013/12/31/jahi-mcmath/

Who is going to say prayers are worthless and miracles are a load of crap?
Personally, the above is my opinion. I have a right to my opinion. I don't have the right to force anyone else to live by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omari ‏ @_iamOMARI
Not interested in getting my followers up, just worried about getting them Dollars UP! INSTAGRAM:::IAMOMARI

(Jahi's Uncle)

I'm curious. Does the good UCLA Dr who has studied 150 cases of brain dead people including one that supposedly lasted 20 years have any of those 150 people improve enough to be removed from the vent? Were any of them improved enough to get up and walk out or be wheeled out of the care facility? Were any of them "fixed" as this poor girls mother says she wants?

Who is going to say prayers are worthless and miracles are a load of crap?
Personally, the above is my opinion. I have a right to my opinion. I don't have the right to force anyone else to live by it.

I am more concerned about the people who say that you'll get your miracle if you buy my $150.000 miracle cure than the people who say you should pray for miracles. At least praying is free of charge.

But I am not sure that medical facilities should be forced to keep the dead in suspended animation indefinitely just because people are hoping that miracles would happen.

I just read almost every post in this thread, and I can't even begin to describe how unsettling and sad this is on so many levels. (Great posts everyone, by the way). I can't even wrap my brain around how this mom must be feeling....and that sweet little girl, poor baby. I'm rarely at a loss for words but this.... this is gut wrenching. There are always going to be opportunists wanting to capitalize on someone else's misfortune, but this is disgusting. It reminds me of Sylvia Browne in a way, how she took advantage of the desperate parents of missing children.

A few posters have said this was like a horror movie, did someone say Stephen King's Pet Cemetery? Because I can't get that out of my head when thinking about this. What lengths would you go? What lengths would I go?

I would have let go.

http://www.standardnewswire.com/news/669496151.html

An old article about the Terri Schiavo Network and the opening of the New Beginnings Community Center.

Terri Schiavo's sister says that there always remains hope for brain injury patients and the NBCC site expressed similar sentiments.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/new...terri-schiavo-group-secretly-leading-transfer

I'm sure they have the best intentions but I do hope they take the time to educate themselves about what brain death is and what it is not before they bring Jahi in. It might be difficult to deal with the sudden realization that one functional attribute is missing and brain dead people don't have spontaneous respiration after all.

Another thing they also don't have, is hope.

I would agree that she isn't dead, but I also believe she isn't "living" either. I believe she's caught somewhere in between. Kinda like a plant. But she wasn't ever a plant. She was her mothers 13 year old daughter.
her mother isn't asking for anything that isn't routinely given to so many other brain damaged people ...that by some twisted fate filled circumstance left them managing to breath on their own, or react to pain, or blink. That's not "living" either. IMO

Excerpt from a book in a 2012 Discover article. Harvard study done in 1968. Lots for discussion in this article.

http://discovermagazine.com/2012/may/10-the-beating-heart-donors

If you google the author of the articles name Dick Teresi, there is lots of information out there about a book he wrote.

It IMO, has nothing to do with this situation. He talks about organ donation and stories of people being taken off of life support. Jahi is brain dead.

"Nutrition is essential to continued physiological processes," said Nutik Zitter. " A body can't go for much more than two to three to four weeks without nutrition. A young person may be on the longer end."

However, the doctor added, brain death would likely lead to total organ failure, regardless of whether nutrition is provided to the girl or not.

"Brain death doesn't usually go on for several weeks," she said. "The brain is responsible for autonomic processes and if the brain is not alive, certain autonomic processes will cease and result in eventual death."

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...cmath-hospital-fights-court-remove-brain-dead

All life ends in eventual death...silly statement.

Maybe Jahi could be taken wherever that was.

They are the miracle workers, that's for sure. How does one keep a body with a dead brain on a ventillator for 20 years? Just imagine the level of care involved. These bodies get infections, sores, muscles waste away due to lack of mobility, etc.

I would agree that she isn't dead, but I also believe she isn't "living" either. I believe she's caught somewhere in between. Kinda like a plant. But she wasn't ever a plant. She was her mothers 13 year old daughter.
her mother isn't asking for anything that isn't routinely given to so many other brain damaged people ...that by some twisted fate filled circumstance left them managing to breath on their own, or react to pain, or blink. That's not "living" either. IMO

No its not, that's why we had a DRN order on my father, he was not on a vent and eventual went into respiratory arrest..He also was not declared brain dead, he was in a presistive vegatative state.....What I saw was not being alive, it was existing, he nor my family wanted that for him, it would have been selfish and cruel....

I believe in miracles, I just don't think we'll get one in this case.

Laura Anthony ‏@LauraAnthony7 1h
Fed appeals crt denied request by #Jahi attorney to insert trach etc. Says request must be made at Sup Crt.

Laura Anthony ‏@LauraAnthony7 17m
State appeals court (not Fed) denied #Jahi request for trach and feeding tube. Said request should be made in AlCo Court that ruled on TRO.

From what I recall, they have already denied it. I don't think there is anyway that the courts can force a hospital or physician to do these procedures.

I can't even imagine what Jahi looks like right now. How can a family do this to this poor sweet girl?

IMO, They will blame anybody and everybody for letting their child die when the plug finally does get pulled.

I'm sure it will be "Why didn't you do enough to save my child". This is just how I see this ending and then Jahi's family suing the heck out of everyone.

JMO.

what makes you think she looks bad? Have you ever seen someone in person on a vent? She probably just looks like she's sleeping.

Omari ‏ @_iamOMARI
Not interested in getting my followers up, just worried about getting them Dollars UP! INSTAGRAM:::IAMOMARI

(Jahi's Uncle)

I guess their drive is working. They are at 40K as I type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech