Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All life ends in eventual death...silly statement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think her point is that it usually ends within weeks.

But I suppose that people who are not brain dead would not last too long without nutrition either so that is a confounding factor in determining the survival prognosis.

Shewmon's abstract said that the braindead who had a primary brain injury tended to survive longer than the ones who had more systemic ailments which I guess makes perfect sense.

So since the FT and the trach were denied, what more can the family do at this point?

I think her point is that it usually ends within weeks.

But I suppose that people who are not brain dead would not last too long without nutrition either so that is a confounding factor in determining the survival prognosis.

Shewmon's abstract said that the braindead who had a primary brain injury tended to survive longer than the ones who had more systemic ailments which I guess makes perfect sense.

But brain dead persons without a ventillator can not survive for long.
Heart will stop very quickly once a ventillator is turned off.

So since the FT and the trach were denied, what more can the family do at this point?

they will probably get a court order forcing the hospital to allow a doctor to come into the room and do those procedures on their property.

I'm curious. Does the good UCLA Dr who has studied 150 cases of brain dead people including one that supposedly lasted 20 years have any of those 150 people improve enough to be removed from the vent? Were any of them improved enough to get up and walk out or be wheeled out of the care facility? Were any of them "fixed" as this poor girls mother says she wants?

So by that standard, after a reasonable period of time if someone isn't well enough to breath on their own, improve enough to walk out or be wheeled out in a chair someday they don't deserve to live? After two weeks in a coma, let's yank out that plug and call it over!

Well let's start the unplugging now!

Look at all $$$$$$ that would save!!!!!

what makes you think she looks bad? Have you ever seen someone in person on a vent? She probably just looks like she's sleeping.

I have, then he was taken off, he weighed 115 lbs , probably less when he died...It broke my heart and still haunts me.....

they will probably get a court order forcing the hospital to allow a doctor to come into the room and do those procedures on their property.

Hospital already said they will allow a doctor to do that. I guess the family can't find anyone who would agree to do that?

So by that standard, after a reasonable period of time if someone isn't well enough to breath on their own, improve enough to walk out or be wheeled out in a chair someday they don't deserve to live? After two weeks in a coma, let's yank out that plug and call it over!

It's already been done. Once the patient is brain dead, hospitals don't keep them on ventillators forever.

No its not, that's why we had a DRN order on my father, he was not on a vent and eventual went into respiratory arrest..He also was not declared brain dead, he was in a presistive vegatative state.....What I saw was not being alive, it was existing, he nor my family wanted that for him, it would have been selfish and cruel....

You and I are on the same page, that's how I feel too.

But...I understand not everyone shares our beliefs. I respect them because I want the same respect extended to me.

Who is going to say prayers are worthless and miracles are a load of crap?
Personally, the above is my opinion. I have a right to my opinion. I don't have the right to force anyone else to live by it.

I didn't say either one of those things.

People keep sending her and telling her these stories about how their loved ones recovered and are now walking. People claiming to be in the medical field keep encouraging her. If people really cared, they would be helping her understand that her daughter has passed.

Yikes. Really?

Can the courts force a doctor to perform this even if it goes outside their ethics?

That is not what she said, this child is gone....No brain activity or blood flow to the brain, its as if her head is empty, for lack of a better word.....I have walked this walk.....

But she is not in a coma. She is brain dead. Big difference. In a coma, the brain
is still capable of 'functioning' at some point in the future. Everything is on hold.

if she was in a prolonged coma, then there would be valid reasons for long term care. But from what I understand, even according to the doctor they are touting, nobody comes back from this condition.

But she is not in a coma. She is brain dead. Big difference. In a coma, the brain
is still capable of 'functioning' at some point in the future. Everything is on hold.

if she was in a prolonged coma, then there would be valid reasons for long term care. But from what I understand, even according to the doctor they are touting, nobody comes back from this condition.

Yea, there is zero chance of recovery from brain death. She has no blood flow to the brain. So that means the brain is decomposing. Brain can not survive long without oxygen.

The way I understood it, the poster was inquiring about the existence of cases in which the brain dead recovered because there are lots of people who say they know people who were brain dead and recovered from the brain death and many medical professionals have been quoted in the last few days as saying that there is a zero probability of recovery.

Yikes. Really?

Can the courts force a doctor to perform this even if it goes outside their ethics?

apparently there is a doctor who wants to perform the procedures but the hospital is blocking them from doing so on their property. So the courts would be forcing the hospital to allow the doctor to do what they already want to do.

apparently there is a doctor who wants to perform the procedures but the hospital is blocking them from doing so on their property. So the courts would be forcing the hospital to allow the doctor to do what they already want to do.

What doctor? From what has been reported, hospital says they will allow a doctor to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24