Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember the details was too long ago....my two cousins had the choice of inserting a feeding tube into their grandmother or letting nature take its course....she knew nothing and was in a nursing home and after whatever happened was taken to ICU...one granddaughter could not bear to see her existing with a feeding tube and the other one disagreed. The feeding tube was inserted and she lived seven years not even knowing she was on this earth. Soooooo sad. Heartbreaking...I know a youth is much different but just thought I would bring this up.

Hopefully they will decide to allow their daughter to be a donor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC Dr. Fisher wrote that the only medications she was on at the time of his evaluation were vasopressin and eye drops. I think that might not be enough to keep everything in a donatable (is that a word?) shape.

I was thinking MAYBE her eyes. But I think the rest of her organs might not have been donatable to begin with. Then with the post-op arrest and trauma from the complications and intervention. And now the vent, etc. for weeks. I haven't read about that situation, but I have to think there may be some important differences. But, in any case, do you really think the family would go for that? I honestly thing there's no way. jmo
I agree maybe her eyes...

No offense but her BMI before having the surgery may have been enough for a trasnsplant team to refuse her organs. They wouldnt have any idea if she was prediabetic or had had borderline high blood pressure, fatty liver etc.

Taking organs from obese patients has shown to cause problems in the recipient ranging from organ failure to rejection.
Even live donors that are obese are refused.
Moo

http://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/nr/Obesity-Reduces-Organ-Donor-Pool.cfm
Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

IIRC Dr. Fisher wrote that the only medications she was on at the time of his evaluation were vasopressin and eye drops. I think that might not be enough to keep everything in a donatable (is that a word?) shape.

Would be nice if they were able and willing to donate even one.

But I have a feeling they couldn't bare to.

Everything about this case is just so sad.

I am afraid that the family is getting false hope from doctors and lawyers who may have an agenda or financial stake in the outcome. I hope that is not the case, but I fear that they will end up thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars in debt from believing them.

While a malpractice or negligence settlement may eventually be reached, it could take many years in court, and the lawyers will most certainly get a large chunk of that. I am no expert, but I doubt a settlement will include expenses that occur from experimental or non-traditional treatments. Of course, there is also the possibility that the hospital will be found to have no fault at all...

I am not suggesting that the family should consider money over the life of their loved one, but this could end up being an immense financial burden as well as emotionally devastating.

I hope that I do not sound too insensitive. It's just that I personally experienced my grandfather having false hope and making decisions that cost him thousands of dollars when my grandmother was ill. He loved her so much and wanted so badly to believe what he was told that he couldn't think straight. It was heartbreaking.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1661874

Interesting article sent out by the Terri Schiavo Network. An opportunistic press release. Looks like they have been doing much work for Jahi, behind the scenes.

Is Ms. Scherri from the NY community center in TS network?
Because she quoted this sentence verbatim, or the other way around, not sure which was first.

Yet she retains all the functional attributes of a living person, despite her brain injury.

And they explain further what they mean by the functional attributes

This includes a beating heart, circulation and respiration, the ability to metabolize nutrition and more. Jahi is a living human being.

Jahi has respiration, huh? Sans machine?

Would be nice if they were able and willing to donate even one.

But I have a feeling they couldn't bare to.

Yeah, probably not... Especially after getting Dr. Byrne involved, it seems very unlikely.

Is Ms. Scherri from the NY community center in TS network?
Because she quoted this sentence verbatim, or the other way around, not sure which was first.

And they explain further what they mean by the functional attributes

Jahi has respiration, huh? Sans machine?

Good point!!
Sounds like a PR team is overseeing statements made by the the key players.
Most likely the family has hired a PR firm.
Although I have many negative things that I could say about this fiasco, I will say that they have some good council on how to work with the media.:scared:

the video up thread....I LOVE the families lawyer!
That's exactly the stance I take.

The question has already basically been answered, though. Independent experts were consulted and verified that she was dead. They don't believe she's dead, but the legal question has been satisfied. The courts have extended the deadline for turning off the ventilator, but they haven't come out and said she isn't dead, from anything I've read. The family may not believe it, but I don't believe at this point there's any legal question about it, beyond challenging the statute.

As long as medical professionals are responsible for signing death certificates I don't see how families could be allowed to hold a democratic vote about whether their loved one died or not.

It might be nice for those who were responsible for killing a family member though. "we don't think Dad's dead so our brother is innocent of murder" (Cf. baby Mariah case)

If anyone knows, with all of this talk of feeding her, what exactly do dead people eat? :waitasec:

the video up thread....I LOVE the families lawyer!
That's exactly the stance I take.

I think he enjoys watching the hospital's spinmeister head spin: We'll not help.....yes we will....well, we will but only if......our phone isn't ringing.....paperwork is faulty...where's the camera? LOL

JMO

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/vi...er-hospital-spokesperson-confront-each-other/

My apologies if this has already been posted...
Video of Dolan and Singer arguing Singer telling Dolan to stop this "hoax".
A media circus my friends.....

Omg...that is disgusting. BOTH of them are engaging in thoroughly disgusting public behavior.

So inappropriate. So unnecessary.

How is ANYone supposed to muster up respect for professional attorneys who would be willing to engage in that degree of public bickering?? What a spectacle.

I feel so incredibly bad for the staff, and the rest of the patients and families in that hospital. I just cannot get beyond how wrong it is, IMO, to create and maintain this kind of ongoing public spectacle at a hospital. No one has any respect for the other staff, patients, and families.

I hope the hospital puts an end to any media conferences on hospital grounds very soon. No gatherings. No marches. Take all that drama and dangerous crowd behavior somewhere else. This is at the point it is infringing on a lot of OTHER patient's rights and safety. The whole thing is a powder keg-- all it will take is one whack job going off the rails to spark violence, IMO.

None of this is about the young girl named Jahi anymore.

A few random thoughts I've had while trying to catch up-

- The guy from the International Brain Research Foundation, sounds crazy in the coconut. It always amuses me how many people have been in the Army but can't speak about it because it is classified or they have lost their documents. We've recently had someone try to pass themselves off as having been Army and used those excuses. We kindly :floorlaugh: gave explicit details on how to obtain those documents, but then it all became top secret. They are being investigated by the police now.

- Dr Byrne, comes across to me as someone's kooky grandad. It seems like he just wants his time in the sun and is trying to whip the religious into a frenzy and to sell more books.

- Guy with the machine, I agree with everyone else, publicity.

- I made a Weekend At Bernie's comment a few days ago and it still stands. At the time the situation felt a little creepy but now it feels plain gross. I wonder if the parents could be charged for interfering with a corpse, especially if they procure someone to do surgery on the body.

I think her mother brought her into this world and her wishes need to be considered & respected when talking about how her daughter is going to leave this world.

Does that apply to every mother? Because I will only consent to my children dying on the following conditions- a) I am already dead b) They have reached the age of 85 and c) They can only pass in their sleep, I will NOT accept any other method.

Unfortunately most mothers are utterly powerless to decide when and how their children die (and the ones who aren't we hate anyway, right?). This mother is just as powerless. The only power she has is deciding where her child is housed until burial.

Omg...that is disgusting. BOTH of them are engaging in thoroughly disgusting public behavior.

So inappropriate. So unnecessary.

How is ANYone supposed to muster up respect for professional attorneys who would be willing to engage in that degree of public bickering?? What a spectacle.

I feel so incredibly bad for the staff, and the rest of the patients and families in that hospital. I just cannot get beyond how wrong it is, IMO, to create and maintain this kind of ongoing public spectacle at a hospital. No one has any respect for the other staff, patients, and families.

I hope the hospital puts an end to any media conferences on hospital grounds very soon. No gatherings. No marches. Take all that drama and dangerous crowd behavior somewhere else. This is at the point it is infringing on a lot of OTHER patient's rights and safety. The whole thing is a powder keg-- all it will take is one whack job going off the rails to spark violence, IMO.

None of this is about the young girl named Jahi anymore.

I could not agree with you more. It is sickening. It hasn't been abut Jahi for a very long time. It is so opportunistic at this point.

We have all seen opportunistic lawyers looking for their FAME. Well Dolan didn't strike me as that way at first. He has a very good record.

Now... O.M.G. It is all about him. It is disgusting. He is looking to make a name for himself nationally.... nothing more nothing less.

Jahi is still lost in the mix. Makes me sad.... :cry:

Does that apply to every mother? Because I will only consent to my children dying on the following conditions- a) I am already dead b) They have reached the age of 85 and c) They can only pass in their sleep, I will NOT accept any other method.
Unfortunately most mothers are utterly powerless to decide when and how their children die (and the ones who aren't we hate anyway, right?). This mother is just as powerless. The only power she has is deciding where her child is housed until burial.

Duh! Thank you for this. What mother wants their child to die? Pretty much none. I like the way you put this in perspective, although I am fully aware that some don't get it, and never will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech