Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a lesson in how a tracheotomy works. Just because there is an opening in your throat that goes to your lungs, how does that keep you oxegenated? Do you still need some artifical means of pushing air into the lungs? tia

In Jahi's case, yes. As she has no inspiratory or diagphramatic muscle function due to her brainstem damage, she cannot ventilate enough air to oxygenate her lungs. She would need mechanical ventilation through the tracheostomy with tubing and a machine.

Other kinds of patient who do have chest wall and diagphramatic muscle funtion can ventilate enough air to adequately oxygenate themselves. The classic is the patient who has a permanent tracheostomy because they have had a complete removal of the larynx due to cancer. They can (and do) even continue to smoke through them.

2014 California Rules of Court Rule 3.1380. Mandatory settlement conferences

(c) Settlement conference statement

No later than five court days before the initial date set for the settlement conference, each party must submit to the court and serve on each party a mandatory settlement conference statement containing:

(1)A good faith settlement demand;

(2)An itemization of economic and noneconomic damages by each plaintiff;

(3)A good faith offer of settlement by each defendant; and

(4)A statement identifying and discussing in detail all facts and law pertinent to the issues of liability and damages involved in the case as to that party.

The settlement conference statement must comply with any additional requirement imposed by local rule.

So basically both sides show up and get their act together right then and there, eh? I like it. Enough is enough.

If I understand it correctly, the ventalator connects to the tube in the throat rather than the tube that currently come out of her mouth.

That is what I have always believed. The trach protects the integrity of the trachea that suffers damage with prolonged use of the vent. So, she doesn't need the trach to be moved she needs the trach to prevent damage to her trachea whether in the hospital or in another facility? is that correct? ty

That is what I have always believed. The trach protects the integrity of the trachea that suffers damage with prolonged use of the vent. So, she doesn't need the trach to be moved she needs the trach to prevent damage to her trachea whether in the hospital or in another facility? is that correct? ty

Essentially, yes.

The receiving facility for ventilator patients does not perform surgeries, so any devices or tubes that are needed for long-term care need to be implanted by the original facility, as it has the operating rooms, physicians, and nursing staff to do the procedures.

I remember reading that Jahi's brother was in a coma for 3 weeks and the mother had a some kind of plaque or inspirational message that she kept in his room if I read it correctly. I can't remember the details or the link (sorry, I would have to go looking). I wonder if she feels that Jahi situation is similar to her brother and that is why she wants more time thinking that Jani will come around if given time to "heal" and have "nourishment."

does any one have a link to this about the brother, it may explain what the mother is thinking. TIA
this whole situation is breaking my heart.

Henry K. Lee ‏@henryklee 3m
Busy day tmw:there'll be a 930a Alameda Co. court hearing in case of #JahiMcMath, the brain-dead teen, then 11a fed hearing, both in Oakland

I think this may be what you are thinking of but it was not Jahi's brother who was in coma for three weeks.

It's unclear how much time Jahi may get, but for now Winkfield baths her with only Dove soap and Victoria's Secret lotion, "just like she likes it." Bible scriptures surround the walls, given to her from another mother who told her she pinned the same to her son's wall and he awoke from three weeks in a coma.
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24775261/jahi-her-mom-and-13-days-at-childrens

Just dont understand why they wanna take her to a building that looks like its been condemned with no one on staff....How do they think that will be of help to this child...I just cant get over what this child would think of the most personal parts of her life being talk about. She deserves dignity, I think its been lostand that to me is very sad...

In the court documents there is a letter from the facility that states they will open the outpatient facility to accommodate the 24/7 care Jahi will require. Dunno

Henry K. Lee ‏@henryklee 3m
Busy day tmw:there'll be a 930a Alameda Co. court hearing in case of #JahiMcMath, the brain-dead teen, then 11a fed hearing, both in Oakland

This hearing is not open to the public, correct?

In the court documents there is a letter from the facility that states they will open the outpatient facility to a
accommodate the 24/7 care Jahi will require. Dunno

Can someone pls provide link?

Thx in adv.

I started doing back reading of articles on the above referenced website. After reading quotes from Dolan dated 12/26/13, I was surprised at how misleading they were. Are there sanctions a judge can put on an attorney that misleads the court or is it just accepted as normal? TIA

If there aren't, then there should be. He also signed those documents "under penalty of perjury".

He keeps "misleading", or so some call it. I call it flat out lying! :gavel:

In the court documents there is a letter from the facility that states they will open the outpatient facility to accommodate the 24/7 care Jahi will require. Dunno

I can't help but feel this just keeps going around in circles with the family. This so called "outpatient facility" is a community center for those who work with persons who have survived a TBI and their families. Poor little Jahi does not have a TBI, but is brain dead.

Can someone pls provide link?

Thx in adv.

See post 399 today for link to court documents and exhibits. Sorry on new iPad mini and still learning my way around. Thanks

Phillip Low the neuroscientist, really needs to get off of twitter. IMO
He is just reinforcing my opinion that he is an opportunist.

Is Mr. Dolan attempting to force the hospital's hand to do the trach and the g tube by floating New Beginings out there as a facility? Which isn't even built? Or approved? Why would NB even be an option? This does not add up. Why doesn't the NB site in AZ take her? IMO

Can someone tell me what "mandatory settlement conference" means?

Just what it sounds like. You must show up and you must try to resolve the issues in good faith. It's mandatory because the Court is specifically requiring it. As opposed to voluntary. I read in another article that the conference will be with the Magistrate Judge.

jmo

eta: snip from link and link

"A federal judge on Thursday ordered settlement talks between lawyers for a California hospital and a 13-year-old California girl declared brain dead after tonsil surgery.

A federal magistrate will oversee the mandatory talks on Friday between representatives of Children's Hospital Oakland and the family of Jahi McMath, U.S. District Judge Saundra Brown said. Settlement conferences are usually scheduled to expedite court cases or to end them without a trial."

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...rdered-in-Brain-Dead-Girl-Case-238510441.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member