Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This makes no sense to me

http://www.thaddeuspope.com/images/Mcmath_ND_Cal_Settlement_01-02-14.pdf
First he discusses the viability of fetuses outside the womb w/artificial aid. (I have attempted to replicate the grammar errors in the original but I'm not sure if I got them all.)

What on earth does the constitution have to do with what medical criteria are used to make brain death determinations? And what do you mean, inner brain activity is not measured? And what does any of this have to do with due process and privacy?

I think he has employed a five year old who cuts out random phrases from old court documents and a ten year old who reassembles sentences out of them.

Omg! Just before I left my NICU job I had recurring dreams of caring for fetuses in gelatin filled fish tanks. I knew it was time for a change.

I was just humming the "Jaws" theme :D

Queue in Mission Impossible soundtrack. :floorlaugh:

As I was reading your post, it was the Get Smart theme that was playing in my head.....:floorlaugh:

I have the "thinking music" from Jeopardy playing in MY head, lol!

:doh: I just read that as "2 doctors and an atheist."

While it's true that some anesthetists are atheists, not all atheists are anesthetists, thank God. :floorlaugh:

I have a few thoughts to add later-- gotta run for a while. Thanks again to everyone for all the updates and commentary! I've been popping in and out trying to keep caught up all day!

Going back into serious mode for one post (and one post only, so enjoy this): I think the only change is that now the family does not have to tell CHO or anyone else where they are taking the body. They could take her home, to the hairdresser's haven, to another hospital, etc., etc.

Justine Waldman ‏@JustineWaldman 1m
Federal hearing for #JahiMcMath wrapping up. Expecting update shortly @kron4news pic.twitter.com/iqcnFwbKCT

Justine Waldman ‏@JustineWaldman 4m
Federal hearing for #JahiMcMath wrapping up. Expecting update shortly @kron4news pic.twitter.com/iqcnFwbKCT

"Anonymous" doctor? He or she has to be credentialed and given medical and operating privileges at CHO for him to perform the procedure. You can't just walk in and start operating in a hospital! In fact, CHO might actually be prohibited by their insurer to allow such a thing without following a very set and defined protocol which may take longer than a couple of days (e.g verifying background, checking licence, verifying BE/BC, perhaps drug testing, etc...).

There are provisions in all Medical Staff procedures to allow for "emergency" credentialing of physicians and other credentialed staff (anesthetists, for example). Typically, the Chief of Staff takes responsibility for that situation, it is for a limited duration and purpose, and the provider has to be credentialed somewhere else to do whatever it is they are receiving emergency privileges for. (And insured.)

Early in my career as an anesthetist, I was the anesthetist on call for a small hospital. I went in to do an epidural, and found out the patient had had a full blown malignant hyperthermia episode a few years prior (that no one had told us about ahead of time). I was the only one in town on a holiday weekend, of the 3 anesthetists in town. I got the hospital Chief of Staff to give emergency privileges to an anesthesiologist from the closest neighboring hospital 50 miles away, just in case all he!! broke loose.

Thankfully, she does not get to decide that. Imagine if that was up for picks? Holy canoli.

If mom wants headstone engraved w date of death after 12/12,
I don't know what would prevent that,
unless the cemetery or mausoleum would req Death Cert's date to be used on marker.

Not saying that I disagree w the coroner's or Med Ex's 12/12 date, just seems like a non-issue,
except for poss confusion a few generations later for the geneolgists-relatives who research gravesites.

I haven't given this much thought and could be overlooking something.
JM2cts. :seeya:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...r-lined-up-to-insert-breathing-feeding-tubes/

"Even though Grillo denied Dolan’s request, Dolan said outside of court that he considers the hearing today to be “a victory” because there’s no prohibition against Jahi’s family bringing an outside doctor into the hospital to insert the tubes, and later Friday, it appeared the family had found such a doctor."

"The family has also lined up an anonymous doctor willing to insert the necessary feeding and breathing tubes to allow the transfer of McMath out of Children’s Hospital of Oakland."

They have a doc to insert tubes. Hospital will allow it to be done in their facility.

If mom wants headstone engraved w date of death after 12/12,
I don't know what would prevent that,
unless the cemetery or mausoleum would req Death Cert's date to be used on marker.

Not saying that I disagree w the coroner's or Med Ex's 12/12 date, just seems like a non-issue,
except for poss confusion a few generations later for the geneolgists-relatives who research gravesites.

I haven't given this much thought and could be overlooking something.
JM2cts. :seeya:

That's what I'm thinking too.

We didn't put the date that was on my grandmothers death cert on her headstone. Because she passed around 11:30 pm. We were in the room with her.
By the time the dr came in to pronounce it was after 12:30 am. So her cert says the day after she actually passed.

Nobody gave us any trouble about the dates. Even though they don't match.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...r-lined-up-to-insert-breathing-feeding-tubes/

"Even though Grillo denied Dolan’s request, Dolan said outside of court that he considers the hearing today to be “a victory” because there’s no prohibition against Jahi’s family bringing an outside doctor into the hospital to insert the tubes, and later Friday, it appeared the family had found such a doctor."

"The family has also lined up an anonymous doctor willing to insert the necessary feeding and breathing tubes to allow the transfer of McMath out of Children’s Hospital of Oakland."

They have a doc to insert tubes. Hospital will allow it to be done in their facility.

The agreement posted upthread says exactly what they can do. The family was asking for two surgical procedures. What they get to do is transfer the vent tube to their own vent and take whatever IV's, etc. she's currently hooked up to. jmo

Evelio also refused a request by the family to require Children's Hospital to allow an outside physician to perform the surgeries on its grounds.

Dolan said if McMath was not transferred before the new deadline, her family would proceed with a federal lawsuit,
filed on Monday, again seeking an order forcing the hospital to insert breathing and feeding tubes into the girl.

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2014/jan/03/hospital-family-agree-on-moving-brain-dead-girl/

Who is paying for all these lawsuits? That they keep losing. ty

I can see why the dr wants to remain anonymous.

No one. Dolan's doing it for the notoriety. jmo

Or out of the goodness of his heart.
Maybe he believes this mother should have a say in what happens to her daughter.

JMO

BBM this is incorrect. CHO will not allow any doctor to operate on a dead body and have said so repeatedly.

Family can take Jahi's body 'as is', only transferring tubes to their own ventilator for transport. Nothing else.

There are provisions in all Medical Staff procedures to allow for "emergency" credentialing of physicians and other credentialed staff (anesthetists, for example). Typically, the Chief of Staff takes responsibility for that situation, it is for a limited duration and purpose, and the provider has to be credentialed somewhere else to do whatever it is they are receiving emergency privileges for. (And insured.)

Early in my career as an anesthetist, I was the anesthetist on call for a small hospital. I went in to do an epidural, and found out the patient had had a full blown malignant hyperthermia episode a few years prior (that no one had told us about ahead of time). I was the only one in town on a holiday weekend, of the 3 anesthetists in town. I got the hospital Chief of Staff to give emergency privileges to an anesthesiologist from the closest neighboring hospital 50 miles away, just in case all he!! broke loose.

Dantrolene ftw

That's very interesting, I haven't come across such a thing yet but it makes sense. Thank you.

Or out of the goodness of his heart.
Maybe he believes this mother should have a say in what happens to her daughter.

JMO

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Mine is, if this is what he does out of the goodness of his heart, I'd hate to see what he does when he's not feeling so magnanimous.

jmo

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. Mine is, if this is what he does out of the goodness of his heart, I'd hate to see what he does when he's not feeling so magnanimous.

jmo

I know. You stated yours with a JMO and I stated mine with a JMO.
We are both entitled and I would never say otherwise.

BBM this is incorrect. CHO will not allow any doctor to operate on a dead body and have said so repeatedly.

Family can take Jahi's body 'as is', only transferring tubes to their own ventilator for transport. Nothing else.

That is what I understood also. ty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member