Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will fuel fire to those that think hospitals kill people with brain damage but who are still alive for their organs.

I wonder how does organ donation work? I thought they had to ask permission of the next of kin?

They do have to ask for permission. But I think someone from the organ donor association does talk to the family about it as a possibility. I see nothing wrong with that as so many people haven't thought about it, especially with children. Organ donation saves lives.

OT I want to talk about Nicholas Green, the little 7-year-old from Northern California who was killed 20 years ago this year in an attempted road robbery in Italy. The parents could have been mad at Italy and its people, but instead after he was declared brain dead, his parents donated all of his organs, giving a new chance at life for seven Italians. The parents and Nicholas became heroes because after this happened, the rate of organ donation in Italy increased. There is a monument in Bodega Bay (where Hitchcock's The Birds was filmed) erected for little Nicholas. I've been there a few times, nice quiet place, and reflected on his life and not the sadness but the miracle that he brought so many people.

Nicholas is considered the most famous organ donor in the world.
Nicholas Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is just so twisted. So now lawyers, grieving families, snake oil merchants and religious fanatics get to pull the strings and death is optional? I'm truly bewildered.

I did notice someone on twitter mentioned earlier about making a movie to the uncle. $$$$

Well, I'm glad CHO is free of this (until the lawsuit, that is), but I can't help being dismayed. This is going to just keep going. It's sick, IMO, and it terrifies me what kind of precedent this is setting. Legal, medical, emotional for future families who suffer...it's all very distressing. I was so fascinated by the story and felt so badly for the family and their clear denial. Now I'm wishing I had just stayed away. I'm not sure I can bear to watch much more of it, but I doubt I can look away.

Sorry for the depressing outlook, but I just find the whole thing very disturbing and upsetting. JMO.

Monte Francis ‏@MonteReports 4m
Atty says "12 hours from now Jahi should be situated and have her needs met" #JahiMcMath pic.twitter.com/qsxIMrC5Et

Omari: They wanted to kill off my niece

*Smack* (me hitting myself in the head) now I get it! This mother is being encouraged to keep her deceased child alive by a ventilator until they can cash in. I kept trying to hold out and give this mom the benefit of the doubt, but I can't anymore. Basically, as long as Jahi is not in the ground she is worth $30 million instead of "chump change" (not my words, quote from Jahi's Uncle Omari). Am I correct (please let me be wrong)? Shame on anyone participating in this grotesque charade.

Even her own attorney is calling Jahi "the body." SMH.

This is just so twisted. So now lawyers, grieving families, snake oil merchants and religious fanatics get to pull the strings and death is optional? I'm truly bewildered.

Dolan actually listed the professions that had contacted him to help... acupuncture, tarat card readers etc. I am not kidding

btw, those who were seeing where this was going wrt "not feeding" Jahi were right on. He fired that shot in the first couple of sentences. jmo

What did he actually say? Is there a transcript anywhere yet?

So... Where does everyone think she is at the moment?

well, my son says her soul is on the bridge and she can't cross over...

I think she is in someone's darkened office or living room getting a feeding tube.

No one is blaming him for anything, people were just kindly answering my question. I read an article in which the uncle described the post-op events like he was there too, the quote said he said "we asked", so I was a bit surprised as I thought it was mom and grandma there with Jahi.

The only reason it matters is knowing whether his account is first hand or second hand.

I believe DS said NW, SC, and MW were there. IIRC

*Smack* (me hitting myself in the head) now I get it! This mother is being encouraged to keep her deceased child alive by a ventilator until they can cash in. I kept trying to hold out and give this mom the benefit of the doubt, but I can't anymore. Basically, as long as Jahi is not in the ground she is worth $30 million instead of "chump change" (not my words, quote from Jahi's Uncle Omari). Am I correct (please let me be wrong)? Shame on anyone participating in this grotesque charade.

Yes, by Calif law the cap is $250 K for wrongful death: it can go as high as $33 million (I think I read?) for severe "disability" damages (such as being on a ventilator).

With respect to you and anyone else who was holding out hope for some integrity, let me just say again that grief and greed -- including extreme greed-- are not mutually exclusive. I've seen it hundreds of times. Including with children. Parents and family members lying their butts off for 7 figures. Never underestimate the attraction of the almighty dollar and the ability to justify it by the hopeful recipient. Not saying there aren't legitimate cases. But, imo, the ratio is about 10-1 not. jmo

and, yes, I noticed, too, that he referred to the body multiple times and had to cover it. And all Omari could think was, dude, I'm calling the fashion police. Oh wait, that was me :)

I think she may be at a local clinic somewhere having the procedures completed before she is put into flight. I am sure they may even wait to do that since the weather is awful and may give time to "stabilize" her prior to flight.

I think Jahi is in heaven, but that her mother has taken her earthly remains to a Catholic facility for Dr Byrne to conduct surgery.

ajmchugh ‏@ajmchugh 13m
I I can help her .. For however long it takes, I'd rather have that then see her taken away in a bag." - Uncle Omari Sealey #JahiMcMath

ajmchugh ‏@ajmchugh 18m
#JahiMcMath will go to a place where feeding and breathing tubes can be inserted, then she'll go to where she can be taken care of. - atty

Yes, by Calif law the cap is $250 K for wrongful death: it can go as high as $33 million (I think I read?) for severe "disability" damages (such as being on a ventilator).

I'm a lawyer, but I don't do malpractice. Technically, though, according to California law, this is a wrongful death suit. A legally deceased person has no disability damages. Does the family really think they can win this one? I personally don't think they'll be seeing any 30 million when the law has already spoken on the subject.

Well, I'm glad CHO is free of this (until the lawsuit, that is), but I can't help being dismayed. This is going to just keep going. It's sick, IMO, and it terrifies me what kind of precedent this is setting. Legal, medical, emotional for future families who suffer...it's all very distressing. I was so fascinated by the story and felt so badly for the family and their clear denial. Now I'm wishing I had just stayed away. I'm not sure I can bear to watch much more of it, but I doubt I can look away.

Sorry for the depressing outlook, but I just find the whole thing very disturbing and upsetting. JMO.

Well, now they are "free" of the hospital they need to find someone new to rage at. How else are they going to keep the drama going?

What did he actually say? Is there a transcript anywhere yet?

He said, not verbatim, that children's not feeding her for 20 days compromised her condition, i.e., if she doesn't make it through the transition or recover in time, it's STILL their fault. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!