Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The concepts quality of life and experience seem meaningless to me when we're talking about someone who was declared dead a month ago. Beyond that point it is about what the family wants, feels and experiences.

The otherwise appalling article about the way the school handles the crisis was good in that the other children put into words what Jahi was like as a person. I hope that along the road they can remember her for her smile and helpful nature and infectious laughter and not just because she became brain dead and a hospital tried to starve her.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Academy-Friends-Believe-Alive-239629891.html

The younger brother says "She would do everything for me. She would make my plate, wash my clothes, without her there it is just not the same".

Sorry but that kid is like 10 or so. One would think their MOTHER would make their plate and wash their clothes. That statement was coached to an extreme. A kid that age would NOT come up with something like that regarding the death or serious illness of their own sister! He would say typical kid stuff, stuff like he misses her, they have fun together etc... He would NOT start pointing out how "useful" she was in a practical sense regarding meals and laundry!

from the article Donjeta linked for those wondering how old her sister is (or the other sibs). Says they all attend(ed) this school.

Jahi has been part of the school's “extended” family for more than a decade. Jahi’s older sister, JM, now 20, graduated in 2009 as valedictorian. Her brother, JL, is now in fourth grade at the school. Jahi's younger sister, JJ, is in kindergarten.

Sorry, Kimster. I can't keep that rule straight when they are printed in the msm.

Is a 20-year old considered a minor?

The younger brother says "She would do everything for me. She would make my plate, wash my clothes, without her there it is just not the same".

Sorry but that kid is like 10 or so. One would think their MOTHER would make their plate and wash their clothes. That statement was coached to an extreme. A kid that age would NOT come up with something like that regarding the death or serious illness of their own sister! He would say typical kid stuff, stuff like he misses her, they have fun together etc... He would NOT start pointing out how "useful" she was in a practical sense regarding meals and laundry!

Indeed, google loss of consortium. As I said upthread, subtlety is not their strong suit.

eta: snipped from link and bbm

In addition, California allows recovery for loss of filial consortium damages but limits such damages to the loss of earnings and services of a child.  Baxter v. Superior Court, 19 Cal.3d 461, 138 Cal.Rptr. 315, 563 P.2d 871 (1977)

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/tn-supreme-court/1484028.html
jmo

Yeah..maybe... but it's an edited soundbyte, and we don't know what he started with and what else he said. She might conceivably have done a lot of housework because she was a motherly type of a big sister or out of necessity because the working hours of the adults kept them away from the home a lot or something. IIRC there were some statements in the beginning from the adults that said she was very motherly to her younger siblings, something about taking her sister to kindergarten daily, etc.. I don't really know why they would coach him to say that if it wasn't true because it invites comments asking why the adults didn't wash his clothes.

where is dolan talking about decomposition of the brain, please.

He is not. Considering his confusion between decomp vs massive cerebral hemorrhage. Wasn't aware of the hemorrhage being a factor. A massive cerebral hemorrhage and bleeding out from surgical sites throws a whole different light on this. Whether autopsy could tell at this point, don't know.

Eta: massive cerebral hemorrhage could be caused by more than one pre-existing condition or an event surrounding the surgery.

He is not. Considering his confusion between decomp vs massive cerebral hemorrhage. Wasn't aware of the hemorrhage being a factor. A massive cerebral hemorrhage and bleeding out from surgical sites throws a whole different light on this. Whether autopsy could tell at this point, don't know.

Eta: massive cerebral hemorrhage could be caused by more than one pre-existing condition or an event surrounding the surgery.

The bold is the part of your prior post I was wondering about. I was wondering why you think Dolan is confused since he hasn't spoken about either hemorrhage or decomposition of the brain that I'm aware of. jmo

The otherwise appalling article about the way the school handles the crisis was good in that the other children put into words what Jahi was like as a person. I hope that along the road they can remember her for her smile and helpful nature and infectious laughter and not just because she became brain dead and a hospital tried to starve her.

I hope that they don't feel like they contributed to her death because they didn't pray "hard enough." That's my biggest worry. They also need a grief counselor.

The bold is the part of your prior post I was wondering about. I was wondering why you think Dolan is confused since he hasn't spoken about either hemorrhage or decomposition of the brain that I'm aware of. jmo

It's a guess on my part because it's the first we heard of a massive hemorrhage. Since we don't know what information he was provided with and from who he received it from this is strictly a guess. Cardiac arrest was initial info then a lot of talk about brain decomp now massive brain hemorrhage in the media.

Wonderful article.

As Jahi McMath's family tweets about being "free" from Children's Hospital and Research Center Oakland, the hospital and it's staff is bound by laws, forced to stay silent as a smear campaign and likely a lawsuit ensues.

The story of what happened to Jahi is unimaginable and devastating. However there are countless positive stories unfolding in that hospital every day, just as it's been for the past 100 years. That shouldn't be forgotten, regardless of any tweets or statements a lawyyer makes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/today...68882.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009&ir=Crime

It's a guess on my part because it's the first we heard of a massive hemorrhage. Since we don't know what information he was provided with and from who he received it from this is strictly a guess. Cardiac arrest was initial info then a lot of talk about brain decomp now massive brain hemorrhage in the media.

Dolan is a lot of things but "confused" isn't one of them. He is a bottom feeder plain and simple.

I forgot that I wanted to respond to the bolded area (BBM) regarding the transfusions.

While 4 units of blood might be considered a lot for internal medicine conditions, it is really not a lot for a tonsil hemorrhage situation on a teen who weighed as much as a small to medium size adult.

If she had a really catastrophic hemorrhage, where her entire blood volume was being rapidly replaced, with many, many units of blood products, then I would strongly suspect DIC. But 4 units isn't really all that much, relative to the potential for brisk blood loss in that area. It's about 20% of her total blood volume, which certainly indicated serious blood loss, but not catastrophic.

And as I have said before, we don't have any idea when she got those units, relative to what the family reports happened, nor whether those units were run in on a rapid infuser, or transfused consecutively over an hour or more for each unit. Clearly a doc ordered them, and so was present and aware of whatever was unfolding-- there would definitely not be standing orders for transfusion for this kind of case.

Personally, I've come back from O.R. twice with blood transfusions going. The first was when I was 19, and the surgeon nicked an artery during a minor procedure which wasn't evident until they were moving me from O.R. to PACU stretcher and I was lying in a pool of my own blood..

The second time, a few years later and under much different circumstances, with 2 units transfusing simultaneously via pressure pumps. The reason being that I hemorrhaged prior to surgery with no time to transfuse before emergency surgery, and also extensive blood loss during surgery ( placental abruption, which was also the prolonged ventilator experience. ) Oh, and they drew labs for a DIC Profile on me for 4 days post- op. Hospital was a level one trauma center with a children's specialty hospital as well.. They were prepared, I was just in the midst of a surgical emergency.

<modsnip>

I hope this was a misstatement and that she did not experience DIC. I don't know whether we will ever find out for 100% certainty.
Thanks for reading. :)

The uncle described Jahi as the glue of the household.

Monday December 16

Sealey said he was in the hospital room with McMath during and after her surgery and has been sleeping in McMath's room along with other family members.
&#8220;I saw blood come out of her mouth,&#8221; said Sealey. &#8220;The images will stick with me forever.&#8221;
Sealey described McMath as &#8220;a very sweet girl who is very innocent and pure.&#8221;
&#8220;She always laughed and giggled and never frowned and was everyone's favorite,&#8221; said Sealey.
McMath has an older sister and a younger brother, according to Sealey.
&#8220;She was the glue in my sister's household because she told everyone to clean their room&#8221; and do other things around the house, said Sealey.
&#8220;We've lost a very precious gift to the world,&#8221; Sealey said. &#8220;This is a severe loss to our entire family.&#8221;
The family told KTVU that as of Monday evening there was no decision yet on whether to donate McMath's organs for transplant.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/girl-left-brain-dead-after-tonsil-surgery-being-ta/ncMgG/

He said he was there too, during the surgery. :waitasec:

BBM.

Agreed, SJ, that we do not know what happened in the OR. However, it would be HIGHLY unusual to give blood products intraoperatively for these procedures. That would be another quality assurance issue, and a statistic that the docs and hospital would not be very thrilled with. Intra op transfusions are tracked VERY closely by several committees in every hospital.

I have to believe that when she was extubated and sent to PACU, she had good hemostasis. Otherwise, they never would have extubated. They would have packed and left her sedated on the vent, in case she needed emergent return to OR for more oversewing and cautery.

Another reason I'm reluctant to think that there was an intraop disaster is that we haven't heard a PEEP about that from ANYONE. For all of the criticisms from the family and attorney directed at "the hospital" and Dr. Durand, not a single comment has been made that the surgery didn't go well, or that she had major bleeding intraop. No one has criticized the surgeon. Heck-- we don't even know his name without looking it up.

Everything we have heard supports the progression that she was a planned PICU overnight stay, had her surgery, woke up fine and was extubated before she got to PACU (from what I can glean), and was sitting up breathing fine, oozing a bit (not unexpected), and visiting with family (that were actually allowed to come into PACU!). Then, BEFORE change of shift, she was transferred to PICU, again, in stable condition, breathing on her own, from all reports. AND seen and signed out by SOMEONE in the PACU, anesthesiologist or surgeon.

We have no idea what the real sequence of events was after that. The reports from the Uncle are subject to heavy bias, due to him not being there, and the mother passed out and being transported to another part of the hospital for treatment. NW's husband was reportedly there, but hasn't said a word. The grandmother has a lot of problems with her version of the events.

Excellent analysis. I agree that the family's anger at the "hospital" and not any individual doctor is interesting. I believe that Jahi was hurt by the suctioning/talking/food. If the family know that their actions caused her death then is is possible their anger at "the hospital" is because they didn't save her after the damage had been done.

The uncle described Jahi as the glue of the household.

Monday December 16

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/girl-left-brain-dead-after-tonsil-surgery-being-ta/ncMgG/

He said he was there too, during the surgery. :waitasec:

I thought he was in cabo. I may be wrong.

I thought he was in Cabo too? This was posted on twitter Dec. 9 1:18pm (not sure of the time zones on twitter posts)

Omari &#8207;@_iamOMARI 9 Dec
Last Day, Last Black Bottle, Might as well get one more massage but this time on the beach… http://instagram.com/p/htlpgiIpt8/

1:18 PM - 9 Dec 13

I do wonder what night he refers to in the message about dolan taking his call in the middle of the night. just curious

I noticed that too. Every family member appears to have a different last name. Just an observation. I assume multiple marriages perhaps or childrenn being given the father's surname. Again just an observation not necessarily negative but it is part of family dynamics.

I am thinking Jahi was a caretaker type of kid and helped with the younger ones. I see that in a lot of families with several children.

bbm, Yeah I saw that too, my sister has two kids, two different last names and then she took maiden name back and made it three different last names. idk jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme