Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been really quite for the past few days.

Do you think the public would be privy to when Jahi's heart has stopped?

not sure if this has been posted - from the school website:

Jahi McMath Day

One of our own students has suffered through an operation that has left her brain dead. Her school family and friends support the struggle she and her family have and are fighting since her operation December 9, 2013.

Jahi's absence has left a void that will be difficult to fill, especially for the 8th grade class. Many of our eighth graders entered kindergarten (nine years ago) together and were in the process of planning the eighth grade cruise, events and graduation just before she entered the hospital for an operation.

As a way to publicly support their family, the students at EC Reems Academy requested a school-wide Jahi McMath Day. A wonderful person in Chicago, Illinois donated 300 purple t-shirts for the students and staff. The goal was to hold the Jahi McMath Day before Winter Break, the break however caused the event to be postponed.

To learn more, visit the NBS, Channel 3, Oakland site for news story and on-line story.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Academy-Friends-Believe-Alive-239629891.html

http://www.ecreemsacademy.org/index.cfm

The coroner has jurisdiction of basically every death in their county. There is usually a list of death types that they "investigate." Sometimes investigation just means checking with the physician with a person who had a terminal disease but died outside the hospital. Sometimes it means doing an autopsy. It is up to the coroner's office to decide. It does not have to be a homicide. The coroner has the authority to investigate any death they feel may have interest in the public good- such as deaths from infectious diseases, deaths from toxic drugs or poisonings, etc etc. The case of Liberace's death in 1987 is a case in point, as his HIV status was not initially disclosed by the hospital and his physician sought to obscure the actual cause of death so as not to reveal the then-shocking information that Liberace was gay and had AIDS.

As this is a death that occurred coincident with a surgical procedure or complication thereof, the coroner certainly has the jurisdiction to order an autopsy and I am sure it will happen.

I understand it doesn't have to be homicide for an autopsy to be required. I had been replying to a prior post that said something to the effect that a murderer couldn't refuse an autopsy on their victim. But since this isn't a murder, I wondered if there would be more leeway in whether or not an autopsy would be performed. An extreme amount of leeway has been given already, up to and including additional procedures performed on someone who has an incomplete death certificate, and I don't understand why.

I understand it doesn't have to be homicide for an autopsy to be required. I had been replying to a prior post that said something to the effect that a murderer couldn't refuse an autopsy on their victim. But since this isn't a murder, I wondered if there would be more leeway in whether or not an autopsy would be performed. An extreme amount of leeway has been given already, up to and including additional procedures performed on someone who has an incomplete death certificate, and I don't understand why.

The coroner has absolute authority in ordering an autopsy. The family will not have a legal authority to block it.

Have there been any organized prayer vigils for Jahi? I know that the family is religious and have asked for prayers from the public, but has there been a prayer vigil like we hear about in other cases?

It's been really quite for the past few days.

Do you think the public would be privy to when Jahi's heart has stopped?

I think that we will eventually hear about Jahi's passing but probably not immediately. Her family will want (and deserves) privacy and space while they make final arrangements for their loved one. There would likely be a (private?) funeral with public viewing and perhaps a memorial service for the public after Jahi is laid to rest. :moo:

Respectfully snipped.

I don't have a link, but I remember the comment that Jahi ironed her younger siblings school uniforms, so they would look nice.

She really seems like she was such a great kid, loving and helpful. Such a sad, sad situation. She deserves to be remembered for the kid she actually was, not the awful situation her family has put her in today. IMO.

The Winkfields were supposed to be home for Christmas. Nailah Winkfield was going to make her famous gumbo and invite family over.

She can't imagine life without Jahi, the second of Winkfield's four children. They all call the girl "Mama Jahi" because she likes to bathe her younger sister and iron her clothes. She was always first on the front porch when her mother pulled into the driveway after a full day working at Home Depot. "I want my face to be the first mom sees," Jahi would tell her stepfather.

Now, when her mother dreams that Jahi will awaken, she wants to be the first face her daughter sees.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...t-divisive-battle-over-jahi-mcmath-is-mothers

I understand it doesn't have to be homicide for an autopsy to be required.

It just has to be a death of an unknown cause. A relative who died suddenly at home was required to have an autopsy. It ended up being a blood clot, as expected, but the autopsy was still required.

Alameda County Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said that while he does not know where Jahi was relocated, it was his understanding that she was taken out of the state. He said that as part of the standing court order and an agreement with the Coroner's Office, Jahi's body would have to be returned to the Alameda County coroner's office in the event her heart stops beating.

Nelson noted that the autopsy will be required to complete the existing death certificate, and added that Jahi's cause of death will be more difficult to determine the longer her body is kept on a ventilator.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-w...mcmath-brain-dead-girl-moved-undisclosed-care

"Jahi's cause of death will be more difficult to determine the longer her body is kept on a ventilator".

Precisely. I am convinced the excessive bleeding was caused by the family suctioning without hospital/nursing instruction and they could not risk that COD being found during autopsy. I'd like to think for reasons more than a payout from the hospital, but I'm not sure I believe that due to the outrageous circus this family has drawn to this case.

Everyday I pray that Jahi's heart stops because it breaks my heart to think of what is occuring to body. It sickens me any parent could treat their childs remains in such a way. Jahi deserves respect and her family has given her n.o.n.e.

I think that we will eventually hear about Jahi's passing but probably not immediately. Her family will want (and deserves) privacy and space while they make final arrangements for their loved one. There would likely be a (private?) funeral with public viewing and perhaps a memorial service for the public after Jahi is laid to rest. :moo:

The family wants privacy? Errrm....okay. Hasn't seemed that way thus far.

And I expect there WILL be a public declaration when her heart stops (or within a few hours).

Funerals cost money.

not sure if this has been posted - from the school website:

Jahi McMath Day

One of our own students has suffered through an operation that has left her brain dead. Her school family and friends support the struggle she and her family have and are fighting since her operation December 9, 2013.

Jahi's absence has left a void that will be difficult to fill, especially for the 8th grade class. Many of our eighth graders entered kindergarten (nine years ago) together and were in the process of planning the eighth grade cruise, events and graduation just before she entered the hospital for an operation.

As a way to publicly support their family, the students at EC Reems Academy requested a school-wide Jahi McMath Day. A wonderful person in Chicago, Illinois donated 300 purple t-shirts for the students and staff. The goal was to hold the Jahi McMath Day before Winter Break, the break however caused the event to be postponed.

To learn more, visit the NBS, Channel 3, Oakland site for news story and on-line story.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...-Academy-Friends-Believe-Alive-239629891.html

http://www.ecreemsacademy.org/index.cfm

is this a public school?

Naw, I don't agree . . . when Jahi's family is finally ready to place her body to rest, we'll know. There may even be a parade :banghead:

The family wants privacy? Errrm....okay. Hasn't seemed that way thus far.

And I expect there WILL be a public declaration when her heart stops (or within a few hours).

Funerals cost money.

and some are willing to contribute . . . :scared:

Have there been any organized prayer vigils for Jahi? I know that the family is religious and have asked for prayers from the public, but has there been a prayer vigil like we hear about in other cases?

Outside of the controversial 'pray hard enough and Jahi will return to school' one that her school held, I do not know of any other organized vigils.

:eek:
http://www.thaddeuspope.com/images/Amicus_brief.pdf

This may be the strangest thing filed in court yet. As far as I can understand it says that Jahi chose to make herself brain dead and unable to breathe to save energy in order to be able to survive and stay conscious. Her consciousness waits for further recovery opportunities somewhere other than her brain which she doesn't really need because she has a magical connection with her mother, due to being a child. The author appears to be just a random character with lots and lots of issues of his own, not related to the family or any other parties in the case.

I can't even find a suitable emoticon to attach here. Every day there seems to be more and more evidence that having brain function is indeed not essential for many human activities, including writing court briefs and getting paid for professional services. (He claims to be a massage therapist and a life coach who works with people with early traumas and mental health issues.)
http://www.daniellappin.com/05.html

Perhaps the scariest thing on his site was a recommendation letter from a nursing professor saying he's taught nursing students and got excellent reviews. Maybe he forgot to tell them that brain stem functions are non-essential.

-------------
This guy is walking around out there? OMG..:eek:

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_24753325/family-13-year-old-girl-declared-brain-dead

Jahi McMath prayer vigil: 'God knows we want a miracle'
By Kristin J. Bender

Oakland Tribune

POSTED: 12/18/2013 06:04:56 PM PST | UPDATED: 25 DAYS AGO

Oakland girl, 13, declared brain-dead after tonsil surgery
OAKLAND -- The family of Jahi McMath, the 13-year-old girl who was declared brain-dead after complications from tonsil surgery, gathered with supporters Wednesday evening in the hope that prayers from around the world might foster a "medical miracle" and help bring their daughter home.

Hundreds of supporters gathered at Paradise Baptist Church in East Oakland to pray the girl would recover, but those at the baptist church were not alone. With Jahi's story gaining momentum on social media, supporters from around the globe pledged to join the family in spirit, using the hashtag #prayersforJahi on Twitter.

"A lot of people here don't know my daughter, and they came out to pray for her," said Jahi's mother, Nailah Winkfield. "I can't wait to get back to the hospital and tell her how many people are praying for her."

---------
Hi, just horning in here~ I think there will be an autopsy.The coroner will want to know exactly what failed and why she died. On the other hand there may not be enough left for an autopsy. I think they must have a cause of death on the certificate. She has decomp, what they need may not be in good shape anymore. Oh this is boardering on gross! Dear God wake these people up! My BIL died in a hospital, kidneys. Dr's. wanted an autopsy. They knew what killed him. My SIL said no! Second time they asked my husband told them to get off her back! she said no!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flimflam