Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief. Her family may not even be around to know what happens. How will they sue the hospital after so long?

I think Jahi's family has some knowledge in how long they have to file suit, to the day. They seem to have a profitable litigious background. And they jumped on public info that day, like they wanted this to happen, not a moment in between and declared mistreatment, lawsuit, and now religion. I am waiting for prejudice to be a claim, they have veered as close as you can get without saying it, in a society that does not notice skin. Only the pink muscle and organs inside, we are all the same, if every skin can just realize it.

They have 2 years from DOD to file for malpractice or wrongful death. Of course it can be back dated a few days to date of surgery.

I do hope the hospital has now somehow received the best attorneys for this case for free too. I do not like mislead, misdirected, public attention, or lack of it, without every tiny detail being covered in big sum Civil Cases. Hope I don't get called for jury duty on one. It is out of hand. Our country and it's citizens need more information and much lack of "the big money can pay regardless" to end these type cases. I've seen too many, the standards (evidence in Civil cases) need to raise before a mil is handed out. It costs all of us, not just the "big money" place. We all pay each time. I can tell you from health care received or not received. Costs ever rising, doctors moving to larger areas.

I would like to see all the records before any gets to make law suit claims, or win them. Not too much to ask.

I think Jahi's family has some knowledge in how long they have to file suit, to the day. They seem to have a profitable litigious background. And they jumped on public info that day, like they wanted this to happen, not a moment in between and declared mistreatment, lawsuit, and now religion. I am waiting for prejudice to be a claim, they have veered as close as you can get without saying it, in a society that does not notice skin. Only the pink muscle and organs inside, we are all the same, if every skin can just realize it.

They have 2 years from DOD to file for malpractice or wrongful death. Of course it can be back dated a few days to date of surgery.

I do hope the hospital has now somehow received the best attorneys for this case for free too. I do not like mislead, misdirected, public attention, or lack of it, without every tiny detail being covered in big sum Civil Cases. Hope I don't get called for jury duty on one. It is out of hand. Our country and it's citizens need more information and much lack of "the big money can pay regardless" to end these type cases. I've seen too many, the standards (evidence in Civil cases) need to raise before a mil is handed out. It costs all of us, not just the "big money" place. We all pay each time. I can tell you from health care received or not received. Costs ever rising, doctors moving to larger areas.

I would like to see all the records before any gets to make law suit claims, or win them. Not too much to ask.

You have 9999 posts!!!!!! What will your the big 10,000 say?

I am wondering if it goes to court how they will find a jury with all the publicity the family has done.

kaki,
From linked article, w my bolding:
"Despite EEG evidence of electrocerebral inactivity,
the family was opposed to his removal from life support."

So sad. Sounds like his mother was unable to let go for 20 years.

I meant - It appears that they did extraordinary "life saving" type long term techniques, drugs, etc. He wasn't treated as Jahi was/is. He was given a LOT more...and it "sounds" like he was kept at a hospital (due to all of the procedures he was given), not a "long term care facility." Stuff like that...

Jahi has been transferred to some facility that is apparently willing to carry out agressive measures to keep her body alive.
She had a feeding tube inserted, and I presume is given whatever meds are needed. So I don't think one can say that this boy was given a LOT more.
He also was not at the hospital for all of the time. Some of the time he spend in the basement of his mother's home, and some of the time in the long term care facility.
So Jahi could potentially last many years.

Jahi has been transferred to some facility that is apparently willing to carry out agressive measures to keep her body alive.
She had a feeding tube inserted, and I presume is given whatever meds are needed. So I don't think one can say that this boy was given a LOT more.
He also was not at the hospital for all of the time. Some of the time he spend in the basement of his mother's home, and some of the time in the long term care facility.
So Jahi could potentially last many years.

I believe the reference to the boy having been given more, refers to the time between Jahi's death and her release to the new facility, where extreme measures began. JMHO, of course.

I'm not K_Z but the article states

In other words, his brain was destroyed by the meningitis but if he had been autopsied shortly afterwards it would have looked quite different so the decades of brain death caused the mummification.

Incidentally, when we discussed Shewmon's article (referenced here) in one of the earlier threads we speculated whether brain dead people could still grow. It appears that this young man hadn't grown since his brain death. He was microcephalic and 104 cm tall when he died which is about the size of a four year old (as he was when he got the meningitis), but weighed 70 kg which is an adult male weight. It must have been quite a sad sight for his poor family.

I had to look it up but that would equal to about 3-1/2' tall and 150 lbs.
Would that mean he had been gaining liquid weight or putting on fat after he is brain dead? Or, would that be a buildup of gases?

I know they are not the same, but the two cases in the news recently, one in TX and one in Canada, mentioned the odor and changes these two patients were undergoing leading up to their deaths even though they both received excellent care for the fetuses they were carrying. I would think there was no way either of these cases could have held out for 6 mos, let alone 14 yrs. How could this boy avoid the inevitable breakdown of his body?

I had to look it up but that would equal to about 3-1/2' tall and 150 lbs.
Would that mean he had been gaining liquid weight or putting on fat after he is brain dead? Or, would that be a buildup of gases?

I know they are not the same, but the two cases in the news recently, one in TX and one in Canada, mentioned the odor and changes these two patients were undergoing leading up to their deaths even though they both received excellent care for the fetuses they were carrying. I would think there was no way either of these cases could have held out for 6 mos, let alone 14 yrs. How could this boy avoid the inevitable breakdown of his body?

Some or most of the excess weight may have been due to putting on fat because of glucocorticoid treatment, I think.

He was weaned from hydrocortisone treatment at age 6 years
(although he continued on treatment with fludrocortisone), but his
cushingoid appearance of facial rounding and truncal obesity persisted
until his death.
At the time of the autopsy, the body measured approximately 104 cm in
length and had an approximate weight of 70 kg. The extremities were
symmetric but poorly developed, with atrophic musculature. Cushingoid
facies and body habitus was observed, including truncal obesity and a suprascapular fat pad.

Cushingoid refers to Cushing's syndrome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cushing's_syndrome

Cushing's syndrome describes the signs and symptoms associated with prolonged exposure to inappropriately high levels of the hormone cortisol. This can be caused by taking glucocorticoid drugs, or diseases that result in excess cortisol, adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), or CRH levels.[1]

Symptoms include rapid weight gain, particularly of the trunk and face with sparing of the limbs (central obesity). Common signs include the growth of fat pads along the collarbone, on the back of the neck or "buffalo hump" and on the face "moon facies".

Per Terri S's brother Bobby Schindler, snipped from popsicle's mercurynews link above, w BBM:
the award honors an individual or family that
"fights to protect the dignity of a loved one against overwhelming odds."
"Terri's life and legacy serve as a cautionary reminder of the immediate threat
placed upon hundreds of thousands of persons with cognitive disabilities."
"...believe that families, not hospital boards or politics, should dictate outcomes."

Remember mom's petition ct-filed by Atty Dolan alleging Jahi had a disability?

Terri S's bro is a like minded person who seems to tell us death is just a cognitive disability.
Well, that's one way to view it.

JM2cts and I may be wrong.

Hi all, I read today about the man who was thought to be dead and came around. That is all this family needs. They will never let go. I think it is sad. The man was a whole different case. I am going to try to read some back articles, I know I read they had to remove the feeding tube dont remember the exact words but I guess the results were adverse. I know it was an article showing the lawyer and whats his face brother. I forgot his name. My niece said the food could back up if it is not digesting. I was actually upset when I read of the man, I know what it means, think we all do. Take care. :seeya:

Hi all, I read today about the man who was thought to be dead and came around. That is all this family needs. They will never let go. I think it is sad. The man was a whole different case. I am going to try to read some back articles, I know I read they had to remove the feeding tube dont remember the exact words but I guess the results were adverse. I know it was an article showing the lawyer and whats his face brother. I forgot his name. My niece said the food could back up if it is not digesting. I was actually upset when I read of the man, I know what it means, think we all do. Take care. :seeya:

I just posted the story on the Bizarre News forum. I immediately thought about Jahi and how the Mississippi's man's family believes that it was a miracle that their loved one woke up at the funeral home.

Man wakes up in body bag at funeral home - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Jahi McMath Family Recipients of 2014 Life & Hope Award http://instagram.com/p/k7ULpDIpo6/ http://www.terrisfight.org/assets/Uploads/Press-Releases/2014-Life-Hope-Gala-PR-F-2.pdf

Jahi McMath's family to get award from Terri Schiavo foundation
http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...-jahi-mcmath-receive-award-from-terri-schiavo

The comments...whew.

If that is living I want out. jmo

2014 Life & Hope Award?

It's only February 2014? What if someone comes along in the next 10 months.........ETA: I pray no one else in the next 10 months does this to a family member/loved one.

:sigh:

2014 Life & Hope Award?

It's only February 2014? What if someone comes along in the next 10 months.........ETA: I pray no one else in the next 10 months does this to a family member/loved one.

:sigh:

It would seem the TS people have no understanding of the workings of the human body and the differences in the cases.

Does money come with this award?

It would be interesting to know names of contributors to the TS fund.

I don't know who contributes to the fund but, "Radio personality and conservative talk show host Glenn Beck will speak at the March 27 awards gala in Philadelphia. Last year, former Alaska governor and vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin was the keynote speaker at the inaugural awards ceremony."

I just posted the story on the Bizarre News forum. I immediately thought about Jahi and how the Mississippi's man's family believes that it was a miracle that their loved one woke up at the funeral home.
Man wakes up in body bag at funeral home - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Nore
Thanks for inititally posting the link.
Holmes County, Mississippi, Coroner = Dexter Howard, an elected official, not a doctor.

This is snipped from http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/28/us/dead-man-comes-back-life/index.html?hpt=hp_t2 , BBM:

"Howard received the call from Williams' hospice nurse, who told Howard that the 78-year-old had passed away. A family member called as well, saying the same, Howard said.
Howard and Byron Porter from Porter & Sons Funeral Home in Lexington, Mississippi, drove to Williams' home to collect the body for funeral preparations. Howard checked Williams' pulse about 9 p.m. and pronounced him dead."

I hope ppl understand the difference between -
- many tests for determining brain death on Jahi, as conducted by multiple licensed neurologists, including a ct-sanctioned/appted neurologist
vs
- the pulse check done by elected county official, apparently non-medically trained, who then declared a 78 y/o hospice patient dead.

Not apples and oranges, more like cucumbers and kumquats comparison.

JM2cts and I may be wrong.:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member