Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonah was adamant Becky was not depressed.

“Was Rebecca depressed?”
“No, no.” Jonah was adamant that Rebecca would not have chosen suicide.
“Was she on meds?”
“No. She took care of herself,” he said, explaining that she was very health-conscious, being careful to eat proper foods and to exercise regularly. “And she wasn’t unhappy. Of course she felt terrible about Max.”

Excerpt From: Rule, Ann. “Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors.” This material may be protected by copyright.

So, you think they really saw Nina instead? That doesn't exactly let Nina or Dina off the hook. Dina has NO ALIBI anyway!!!!

I don't see it as biased that they looked at a picture or pictures to see if it could be the same person they saw. I find it telling that they still did not think it was Nina. I do not believe seeing a picture of Dina would change their fairly detailed account of what the woman looked like and what she was wearing. Something is definitely off here and I'd say either both of them were at the house, or Nina is lying about it being her. Actually, I'll go for the former - they were both at the house. It's highly suspicious that Nina was even at the house late at night just hours before Rebecca was murdered in the first place. Oh, and let's not forget a convenient reason why her fingerprints might be on Rebecca's phone. And, a possible erased message on that phone.

I agree, both of them were likely there. The twins don't look at all alike, particularly in person.

See, even Jonah seems to be saying this was not a suicide. I think that is very informative. If he had anything to do with her murder, he would steer them towards the suicide meme. It also makes me think he didn't think Adam had anything to do with it.

I think Jonah went into damage control mode and, my guess, is that he did a great disservice to the investigation, just wanted it to be over and thought he could accomplish that even when asked for access to the mansion- then threw it back into SDSO's court because he owed them a favor.

People who take Ambien sometimes do things while under it's influence that they don't remember afterwards.........Supposedly, Adam offered Rebecca Ambien several times that evening.

Ann Rule did note that there's a murder case in which the defendant used ambien sleep-drowning of his wife as a defense.

I don't know what to make of Adam. He could be one of those people who blurt out inappropriate things occasionally because he's socially awkward or naturally nervous or just not good at public speaking.

Maybe he felt he was only be honest when he revealed he viewed *advertiser censored* on his Iphone early in the morning and blurted out something about how his "bedside manner" isn't so bad to cops when they were trying to comfort him at the crime scene that morning.

As to whether Adam killed Rebecca while on Ambien, I doubt it. It's more likely that he was sound asleep on the medication and heard nothing that night and woke up to find a horrific scene of Rebecca hanging and was as shock as any innocent person might be. His claiming "she hung herself" may arise from his natural inappropriate speech patterns.

I'm leaning towards the eyewitnesses who saw Dina at the Spreckels mansion acting suspiciously, and that Nina confessed to being at the crime scene right about the time ear-witnesses heard Rebecca scream for help. The timing of the screams and the eyewitnesses seeing Dina are just too coincidental to be ignored in a murder. It's highly likely these two knew about Adam's strangeness and social ineptness and decided to pin the murder on him as a patsy.

How convenient for them that Adam was on Ambien.

People who take Ambien sometimes do things while under it's influence that they don't remember afterwards.........Supposedly, Adam offered Rebecca Ambien several times that evening.

The book doesn't make mention that Adam offered Rebecca Ambien. Where did you read this?

Thanks IP. Just read & replied to your PM.

Ann Rule did note that there's a murder case in which the defendant used ambien sleep-drowning of his wife as a defense.

I don't know what to make of Adam. He could be one of those people who blurt out inappropriate things occasionally because he's socially awkward or naturally nervous or just not good at public speaking.

Maybe he felt he was only be honest when he revealed he viewed *advertiser censored* on his Iphone early in the morning and blurted out something about how his "bedside manner" isn't so bad to cops when they were trying to comfort him at the crime scene that morning.

As to whether Adam killed Rebecca while on Ambien, I doubt it. It's more likely that he was sound asleep on the medication and heard nothing that night and woke up to find a horrific scene of Rebecca hanging and was as shock as any innocent person might be. His claiming "she hung herself" may arise from his natural inappropriate speech patterns.

I'm leaning towards the eyewitnesses who saw Dina at the Spreckels mansion acting suspiciously, and that Nina confessed to being at the crime scene right about the time ear-witnesses heard Rebecca scream for help. The timing of the screams and the eyewitnesses seeing Dina are just too coincidental to be ignored in a murder. It's highly likely these two knew about Adam's strangeness and social ineptness and decided to pin the murder on him as a patsy.

I doubt Adam participated in Rebecca's murder. Knowledge of, I'm not sure. In my opinion, the Ambien, his change in time zones and the shock could all be reasons Adam spoke inappropriately. Adding to whatever his learned behaviors may be. I don't think Adam was quite 'with it' that morning.

BBM - good point,

2nd BBM - yes, I think that is entirely probable.

Does AR mention the *advertiser censored* accessed on Tuesday?

BBM - good point,

2nd BBM - yes, I think that is entirely probable.

Does AR mention the *advertiser censored* accessed on Tuesday?

Was it verified that Adam did have Ambien in his system, or was this another "he told us, so it must be true" situation?

So, you think they really saw Nina instead? That doesn't exactly let Nina or Dina off the hook. Dina has NO ALIBI anyway!!!!

I don't see it as biased that they looked at a picture or pictures to see if it could be the same person they saw. I find it telling that they still did not think it was Nina. I do not believe seeing a picture of Dina would change their fairly detailed account of what the woman looked like and what she was wearing. Something is definitely off here and I'd say either both of them were at the house, or Nina is lying about it being her. Actually, I'll go for the former - they were both at the house. It's highly suspicious that Nina was even at the house late at night just hours before Rebecca was murdered in the first place. Oh, and let's not forget a convenient reason why her fingerprints might be on Rebecca's phone. And, a possible erased message on that phone.

Much study has gone into witness identifications and police procedures have been developed that LE must abide by. Let's not forget that LE did investigate it thoroughly.

I have no way of knowing who or what the witness saw. The witness flawed his testimony by learning what Dina looked like prior to going to police.

If the passerby thought the presence of someone was suspicious, he should have phoned police immediately. He didn't and trying to insert himself into it only after hearing or seeing media reports just sounds very much like a wannabe looking for attention.

JMO

I'm not surprised he would take that position. He didn't want to be sued for doing something that would either make himself look like a suspect in a homicide or trigger her suicide.....such as calling her and blaming her for Max's death.

JMO

Much study has gone into witness identifications and police procedures have been developed that LE must abide by. Let's not forget that LE did investigate it thoroughly.

I have no way of knowing who or what the witness saw. The witness flawed his testimony by learning what Dina looked like prior to going to police.

If the passerby thought the presence of someone was suspicious, he should have phoned police immediately. He didn't and trying to insert himself into it only after hearing or seeing media reports just sounds very much like a wannabe looking for attention.

JMO

A 'wannabe'? Give me a break. You can diss it if you like, but that doesn't mean it's insignificant. the guy hardly seems like he is looking for his 10 minutes of fame - exactly how did he get any attention out of this. Oh, that's right, he didn't. You are putting someone down just because you don't want him to be right.

Like I said, Dina has no alibi and Nina outed herself. Pretty darn suspicious when you're having all that activity late at night on the phone and at the house of a woman who ends up dead shortly after.

A 'wannabe'? Give me a break. You can diss it if you like, but that doesn't mean it's insignificant. the guy hardly seems like he is looking for his 10 minutes of fame - exactly how did he get any attention out of this. Oh, that's right, he didn't. You are putting someone down just because you don't want him to be right.

Like I said, Dina has no alibi and Nina outed herself. Pretty darn suspicious when you're having all that activity late at night on the phone and at the house of a woman who ends up dead shortly after.

I wonder if LE bothered to interview the other people who were at Dina's that evening, to verify the where abouts of Dina and Nina......and if they bothered to pull the video from the Coronado Bay Bridge cameras at the toll plaza to pinpoint when they arrived on the island that night? My guess is that they didn't.

LE is the agency that found the guy wrong, not me. I think LE is used to those who try to insert themselves into cases after they become headlines. LE has to check out their stories--just as they did in RZ's investigation--and did so.

JMO

I wonder if LE bothered to interview the other people who were at Dina's that evening, to verify the where abouts of Dina and Nina......and if they bothered to pull the video from the Coronado Bay Bridge cameras at the toll plaza to pinpoint when they arrived on the island that night? My guess is that they didn't.

BBM - surely they would do that. And, maybe the old boyfriend will still come forward with anything he knows.

... we have his daughter now claiming she knew how bad off Max was from day one as well as what Ann Rule has written.

I also wonder if they ever validated when Dina actually WAS at the hospital on Tuesday after 6-8 pm. Isn't that also the night they or Nina took Jonah's car for some reason? Did anyone look at Dina and Nina's credit card or bank account for that day/night?

LE is the agency that found the guy wrong, not me. I think LE is used to those who try to insert themselves into cases after they become headlines. LE has to check out their stories--just as they did in RZ's investigation--and did so.

JMO

"insert themselves into cases after they become headlines"

I think you are using this phrase wrong, but at any rate, going to the police with any information you may have is not nefarious. Isn't it actually being a concerned citizen... geesh.

"insert themselves into cases after they become headlines"

I think you are using this phrase wrong, but at any rate, going to the police with any information you may have is not nefarious. Isn't it actually being a concerned citizen... geesh.

A concerned citizen contacts LE immediately, not after a case hits the headlines. Didn't the guy claim to be biking down a very busy street at night with his children and they stopped to examined a possum? He just sounds more like a suspect than a witness.

JMO

A concerned citizen contacts LE immediately, not after a case hits the headlines. Didn't the guy claim to be biking down a very busy street at night with his children and they stopped to examined a possum? He just sounds more like a suspect than a witness.

JMO

It makes perfect sense that they noticed a woman in front of a very lavish house, but as he said, she did not appear to be conducting a crime and he didn't realize it was significant till he heard about Rebecca hanged in that house's courtyard the next day.

Oh, yeah, I always consider someone suspect of a murder if they are out biking with their wife and children along the ocean looking at opossums.

It makes perfect sense that they noticed a woman in front of a very lavish house, but as he said, she did not appear to be conducting a crime and he didn't realize it was significant till he heard about Rebecca hanged in that house's courtyard the next day.

Oh, yeah, I always consider someone suspect of a murder if they are out biking with their wife and children along the ocean looking at opossums.

Why would a woman in front of a lavish house attract any attention at all? Don't women occupy lavish houses? I am not at all surprised that LE didn't find the guy's information credible. I do hope Dina gets his name and makes sure he stays away from her.

JMO

Why would a woman in front of a lavish house attract any attention at all? Don't women occupy lavish houses? I am not at all surprised that LE didn't find the guy's information credible. I do hope Dina gets his name and makes sure he stays away from her.

JMO

Say, what??? I doubt this guy has any particular interest in Dina. :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads