Fatal Friends, Deadly Neighbors: Ann Rule's Crime Files

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Suicide hotline volunteers are not untrained, nor unscreened. They are a precious resource that saves lives. Every day.

Is there any evidence or link to support that comment?

That comment is an insult to the many people who give of their time to help people in crisis, and to the organizations who help.

There was nothing in Ted Bundy's background that would have predicted that he was a serial killer.

K_Z, Ita.

Also see below:

"...The televised trial showed that Bundy could look and talk just like a lawyer; many viewers couldn't believe a poised, normal-looking guy could be guilty of such brutal crimes....Bundy committed his attacks on women while leading a seemingly normal life, first in the Seattle area as a local Republican party campaigner, then in Salt Lake City as a law student at the University of Utah."

Read more: Ted Bundy Biography (Murderer) — Infoplease.com http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/tedbundy.html#ixzz29fctyRZ5

I find the drive to blame the hotline, an agency dedicated to helping people, for Bundy's chameleon-like ability to fool people reprehensible. There was nothing in his background to suggest that he was not fit to volunteer for a suicide hotline. If anything he appeared to have been a desirable candidate (law school student), imo.

The hotline and Anne Rule should not be blamed that Bundy fooled people. I find it offensive and without cause. Tia.

BBM - Maybe Ann has detail about this in her book. Allegedly and according to LE, only Nina and Adam were at the property. If Dina and Jonah were not considered POIs or suspects, why would LE need to verify their whereabouts via surveillance video and phone records?

Interesting read under Opinions and Conclusions written by Det. Angela Tsuida in the following search warrant for Dina's and Jonah's phone records. If there was one person I could have picked for Ann Rule to interview it would be Det. Tsuida.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/warrant_11-164.pdf

WOW. Thanks for bringing this to the forefront. It is interest how now with newer and additional information known Det. Tsuida's comments take on a more meaningful and revealing quality. I think they must have taken her off the case as she seemed in retrospect to be exceptionally thorough and unbiased.

Your recent comments about her are like headlights to me. I will reread the search warrant a couple of more times but it's amazing how time season's the perceptions, no?

One thing that jumped out at me was that Det. Tsuida wrote that Max was in a medically induced comma. She then wrote, "Maxfield's prognosis was unknown but it was not likely he would recover from the injuries he suffered."

I wonder what her sources were and to what time frame the statement referred.

Det. Tsuida's comments in "Opinion and Conclusions" clearly show that LE was originally looking at the death of Zahau as a homicide. But the evidence convinced them it was suicide.

Det. Tsuida's comments in "Opinion and Conclusions" clearly show that LE was originally looking at the death of Zahau as a homicide. But the evidence convinced them it was suicide.

Actually, as I read Det. Tsuida's comments in the rationale for cell phone records on Dina and Jonah, it appears both Dina and Jonah were considered suspicious, or persons of interest-- to the extent that Det. Tsuida made the case in the search warrant to NOT notify them that they were being considered and investigated. She gave a longish explanation of how people hide their tracks and change their behavior when they know they are being investigated. That sounds very serious to me. Rebecca was not mentioned at all in that same search warrant (as to her cell records).

Dina herself made mention in her interview and Coronado City council remarks that it was requested that she NOT be notified of CPS notification in Max's case. Now, when you put together facts like that, it all seems very curious.
It sounds to me like Dina was considered suspicious or worrisome at a number of points in the investigation. I don't see the same scrutiny of Rebecca by the authorities. A voice mail from a detective just isn't the same level of scrutiny as a search warrant and a detective's request that someone NOT be notified that they are being investigated.

Clearly, early on, Dina was suspected of "something" by LE.

KZ, Det. Tsuida's search warrant is for Rebecca's death, not Max's accident. So yes, both Dina and Jonah were considered suspicious and investigated as such, but in Rebecca's death, not Max's. Rebecca was the only adult of interest in Max's accident.

KZ, Det. Tsuida's search warrant is for Rebecca's death, not Max's accident. So yes, both Dina and Jonah were considered suspicious and investigated as such, but in Rebecca's death, not Max's. Rebecca was the only adult of interest in Max's accident.

Hi, Curious Georgia, I just wanted to say you have excellent, well thought out and rational points.

Good point! Also, weren't Dina and Jonah cleared by LE in RZ's death but RZ was never 'cleared' by LE in any investigation of Max's death. I believe any investigation into Max's injuries ended with the death of RZ and that is why Dina has objected.

JMO

Good point! Also, weren't Dina and Jonah cleared by LE in RZ's death but RZ was never 'cleared' by LE in any investigation of Max's death. I believe any investigation into Max's injuries ended with the death of RZ and that is why Dina has objected.

JMO

Again, I have to question WHY any investigation into MS's death would end with the death of RZ. When a perpetrator has ended their own lives after being sought by LE, it's never stated that they were not responsible for the deaths that preceded them. If LE felt that RZ was responsible for MS' death, they would have stated so. But they did not. If you look at cases, even very recent ones, the perpetrator is always stated to be at fault for the death prior to their suicide. LE in this case, made no such accusation. If LE felt that RZ had something to do with his death, they would have shown some proof of it.

Always MOO

Again, I have to question WHY any investigation into MS's death would end with the death of RZ. When a perpetrator has ended their own lives after being sought by LE, it's never stated that they were not responsible for the deaths that preceded them. If LE felt that RZ was responsible for MS' death, they would have stated so. But they did not. If you look at cases, even very recent ones, the perpetrator is always stated to be at fault for the death prior to their suicide. LE in this case, made no such accusation. If LE felt that RZ had something to do with his death, they would have shown some proof of it.

Always MOO

Because it is impossible to file criminal charges against a deceased person, it seems LE quickly ended their investigation into Max's incident. Without investigative proof, LE isn't going to publicy announce RZ was a "perpetrator" of anything.

JMO

Here we go again!

17.gif

:great:

I find the drive to blame the hotline, an agency dedicated to helping people, for Bundy's chameleon-like ability to fool people reprehensible. There was nothing in his background to suggest that he was not fit to volunteer for a suicide hotline. If anything he appeared to have been a desirable candidate (law school student), imo.

The hotline and Anne Rule should not be blamed that Bundy fooled people. I find it offensive and without cause. Tia.

In fact, Bundy's short stint volunteering at the hotline was uneventful. It was in no way connected to any of his crimes. Bundy chose his victims anonymously, usually in public places around the Seattle area - at the beach, walking across campus, in parking lots, etc.

Psychopaths are very good at compartmentalizing their lives.

Funny, in all the years since reading about Bundy's crimes, I've never heard anyone attempt to disparage and blame the crisis hotline where he volunteered for his crimes. Totally bizarre and without merit.

IMO, MyBelle was not "disparaging and blaming the crisis hotline", but instead was commenting that they did not check backgrounds on anyone at that time for volunteer work at crisis lines like they do now. That is how I understood her comment.

In fact, Bundy's short stint volunteering at the hotline was uneventful. It was in no way connected to any of his crimes. Bundy chose his victims anonymously, usually in public places around the Seattle area - at the beach, walking across campus, in parking lots, etc.

Psychopaths are very good at compartmentalizing their lives.

Funny, in all the years since reading about Bundy's crimes, I've never heard anyone attempt to disparage and blame the crisis hotline where he volunteered for his crimes. Totally bizarre and without merit.

Bundy's gruesome slaughter was across multiple states. While psychopaths might be good at compartmentalizing their lives, they are not adept at hiding their personality disorder from trained professionals. Someone incapable of empathy is not fit to counsel suicidal people. Such screening is pretty standard so I don't find it totally bizarre or without merit to suggest the hotline was remiss.

JMO

When I see posters using the icon that spells out 'thank you' it gives me the creeps. In my mind all I see is, "she saved him, can he save her?" being spelled out. I wish WS would get rid of it. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adr5879