FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to say it appears that they have located most of the residents in the upper levels and those closet to the ocean (units -01, -012), but honestly looking more and more like there is no rhyme or reason to how the victims are being located.
People in the same family units have been found throughout the effort.

They have found most residents from the 7th floor, 9th, and 11th floors.

Maybe some of the people woke to the noises and shaking and were moving around the condos or into the hallways... Also who knows how they fell.
The Gonzalez family were in unit 904 and two fell to the 5th floor and the father is missing.

Also reading an article last night at like midnight from NY Times. They are using DNA samples from immediate family members with Rapid DNA technology if they can. If that does not work they resort to previous injuries or markings. They are also using dental records and fingerprints.

Mostly trying to get DNA from immediate family to identify and one of the last resorts is DNA from personal items.
Authorities are using DNA and fingerprints to help identify the remains.
How Authorities Are Identifying The Victims Of The Florida Condo Collapse

Today, 2 weeks later, is the first day that CNN isn't "featuring" this story. I sincerely hope that this doesn't fall by the wayside, that people don't forget what happened. Changes need to be made to avoid this in the future.

Long article...but incredible/best recap of insights It makes one believe in Cassandra of mythology who was cursed to foretell disaster, but never to be believed:
"In all, six of seven board members resigned, five of them in the two weeks leading up to Oct. 3, 2019. At a board meeting that day, {Graciela}Escalante and others laid out a slew of concerns. She was elected the new president and, as the building official for the neighboring village of Bal Harbour, she had real expertise for the job."

"When a neighbor knocked on his door, 705, with a petition against the assessment, Rosenthal signed it. The first payment was due July 1."
(Even after all the reports, some tenants were still asking neighbors to sign a petition to fight the assessment??? Geez.)
Inside the Tumultuous Years Before the Florida Condo Collapse

The debris pile has gotten so small that I thought they should start finding many of these poor souls soon. I wonder if they were fleeing and were on the lower levels of the stairwell.
That and since there was a garage under the building while it is getting smaller I am going to guess that the lower floor are under ground level since it collapsed down.

Today, 2 weeks later, is the first day that CNN isn't "featuring" this story. I sincerely hope that this doesn't fall by the wayside, that people don't forget what happened. Changes need to be made to avoid this in the future.
I have been amazed that this had fallen so quickly off the main news feeds of most major and local news.

Even just a few days after the collapse when I searched “Miami “ the top news stories to appear related to NBA player and celebrities. The building collapse articles appeared much farther down in the search.

I have been amazed that this had fallen off the main news feeds of most major and local news.

Even just a few days after the collapse when I searched “Miami “ the top news stories to appear related to NBA player and celebrities. The building collapse articles appeared much farther down in the search.
That's the news cycle for ya. I recall the day that major cable news networks began to air commercials again during the aftermath of 9/11. That was a major indicator that interest was ebbing.
Just another disaster on this big timeshare we call "earth."

Am I the only one with a weird sadness about all of the other wonderful people who died tragically in the past few weeks? They died singly or in incidents that never made the news. I guess there's something to be said for major disasters elevating the importance of those lost lives. Imo

I was going to say it appears that they have located most of the residents in the upper levels and those closet to the ocean (units -01, -012), but honestly looking more and more like there is no rhyme or reason to how the victims are being located.
People in the same family units have been found throughout the effort.

They have found most residents from the 7th floor, 9th, and 11th floors.

Maybe some of the people woke to the noises and shaking and were moving around the condos or into the hallways... Also who knows how they fell.
The Gonzalez family were in unit 904 and two fell to the 5th floor and the father is missing.

I would presume that those on the lower floors would be more difficult to locate, because they of course had more floors fall on them than those on the upper floors. It is very likely that those on the lower floors will not be intact and DNA will be needed to identify body parts.

On 9/11, my friend's brother was an EMT who died there, but he was found intact because he was outside the buildings and died from debris hitting him. Whereas another person I know who was inside the second tower when it collapsed was only identified much later by some bones or tissue from the palm of one hand.

Binx the cat was found safe from Unit 904 the unit from Deven and Angela fell and are hospitalized. The father Edgar is still missing and their other daughter was not home.
https://twitter.com/KayKay68/status/1413519512062808064
I know it's twitter (so mods delete is needed)
Just wanted to post a happy finding during this tragedy.

Harold Rosenberg who lived in apt #212 (2nd floor, seaside) was found two days ago. Before that all identified victims were from floors 4 (1 person) or above.

https://twitter.com/MiamiDadePD/status/1413266369697755136

Miami Spreadsheet - I am trying to update as best I can. Hopefully it makes sense to others as well

Correct. He lived on an end unit that had balconies so in the section that fell last. Since most accounts we have heard many people heard the rumbling and loud sounds. He could have gone out on the balcony and therefore when it went down ended up in another location. Sadly it's not like we have GPS of were everyone was when it collapse so they could have been in other location than their place of residents.

That's the news cycle for ya. I recall the day that major cable news networks began to air commercials again during the aftermath of 9/11. That was a major indicator that interest was ebbing.
Just another disaster on this big timeshare we call "earth."

Am I the only one with a weird sadness about all of the other wonderful people who died tragically in the past few weeks? They died singly or in incidents that never made the news. I guess there's something to be said for major disasters elevating the importance of those lost lives. Imo

Well there is something that grabs people attention when a horrible disaster occurs, like a plane crash for example that kills hundreds of people- it isn't minimizing the deaths of others, but a disaster of this magnitude captures the hearts and souls of most people --- but like most stories that grab the headlines these days, it will be replaced by another headline very soon- that is the society we are living in nowadays. I expect the next big headline to be a mass shooting somewhere--

I have been amazed that this had fallen so quickly off the main news feeds of most major and local news.

This is, no doubt, going to be a HUGE "hot button" item for condominium associations. And, I won't go "political", but...maybe some people wanted this news to get buried. It seems like local politicians are trying to enact more administrative policies to create safer living environments. And, other entities believe that this should not be a legal "administrative issue", but left up to property owners to manage their own property.

Which, doesn't seem to have worked out too well, in this situation.

I don't have words to express my sadness for all of the victims of this tragedy.

I have the luxury of being able to distance myself intellectually being that I know people like the victims - but I don't have direct relationships. So I am able to escape to intellectualizing this as an escape from the real pain and death and even economic suffering by survivors. (How many people in our shrinking middle class have almost all of their wealth in their home?)

This is an article I found fascinating. I say this with full knowledge that it is not what I would want to read waiting for news of my missing loved one... please scroll down if appropriate for you.

---------------------------------

The New Yorker July 12&19. Commentary by Amy Davidson Sorkin on the lessons of the surf side tragedy.

On this device, I can't link and quote, but this opinion piece merges big US congressional climate/infrastructure debate with condo board maintenance debate.

The short piece talks about known clues of what caused the building to collapse- and known warnings about its weaknesses. Then, it pivots to known warnings about the global climate, to FL and beyond.

<modsnip>

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the link to the commentary:
What We Need to Learn from the Tragedy in Surfside

snip:

The New Yorker July 12&19. Commentary by Amy Davidson Sorkin on the lessons of the surf side tragedy.

On this device, I can't link and quote, but this opinion piece merges big US congressional climate/infrastructure debate with condo board maintenance debate.

The short piece talks about known clues of what caused the building to collapse- and known warnings about its weaknesses. Then, it pivots to known warnings about the global climate, to FL and beyond.

<modsnip>

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
As an HOA board member, part of your job is to make sure there are sufficient reserves to pay for any large scale capital improvements. Sometimes that's difficult to do when some residents complain about high levels of capital reserve funds. Some will demand a reduction in dues. It's difficult to make home/condo owners understand the need for keeping adequate levels in the reserve funds. I usually told people that having to pass a large special assessment will lower the value of their property.

As a board member (and an HOA member), it's also your job to make sure repairs and maintenance are done on a timely basis and that preventive work is done. The longer you wait to fix something, the more it's going to cost. It's all common sense, JMO, but a lot of homeowners don't see it that way. It's even more difficult with absentee homeowners.

This is why there are appropriate laws governing private property. And why I am inclined to think that some private matters are under regulated. Even the absentee owners would become less bothersome if the condo reserve were required by law.

I imagine the argument that a hypothetical future assessment will lower home values would be met with a room of skeptical owners saying, "yeah? Well right now, the high monthly fees lower my home's value."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee