FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first day I watched a news video and they asked if they knew who was in the building. They said they logged visitors but not owners coming and going. Said about 100 visitors on the log. That would be for the standing side also. Still seems high but have read many were vacationing there.

I don't agree with his conclusion that the two columns seen in the video of the initial collapse of the garage/pool deck are the second two columns he identifies on the blueprint (under the center of the building). I believe they are the first two columns in a line going north to south along the east side of the parking ramp from the north side. He is missing the northern most column in his interpretation of the blueprint. I mean if he is correct, where is the northern most column in the video? There are no more columns in the video between what he claims is the second from the north and the exterior wall on the north side. I also think the debris spills north of the most northern column by the ramp. The columns seen in the video of the parking garage are the first and second northernmost 2 columns going N-S along the blueprint.

correction: it would have been the trash room/electrical room (and/or transformer room) that collapsed onto the garage ramp. ETA: the women's sauna, showers, and gym were adjacent to the trash room and could have contributed to the collapse onto the garage ramp, and probably the water pouring down.

A new video regarding the garage collapse that happened before the building collapse.

Last edited:
Were these reports shared with the owners? I certainly think the the city and the HOA majorly screwed up by not taking action, but I'm not ready to place blame on the owners until I know what information and details were shared with them. I also think the engineering firm(s) should have placed more emphasis on the urgency of the repairs.

I think that the engineers did emphasize the urgency of the repairs, in 2018.

It seems to me that the urgency didn't filter down to, and/or be absorbed by, the owners. Likely due to financial considerations. The repairs entailed a LOT of money ... and disruption.

"The problem needed to be addressed quickly, Morabito wrote." (BBM)
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252385083.html

(From the October 2018 “Structural Field Survey Report,” produced for the condo association by engineer Frank Morabito of Morabito Consultants.)

Last edited:
I believe that the walls around elevator shafts and central stairwells are often some of the strongest in a building, but I'm no expert. Maybe @Warwick1991 could offer some expertise?

I believe that, too. Back in WWII days, the UK people would shelter under their stairwell during bombing raids, if they couldn't get to an air raid shelter.

We have a family story where a member of the family's wedding cake was stored under the stairwell (in London UK). The home was bombed during a night raid. There was nothing left but the stairs and the cake.

I think that the engineers did emphasis the urgency of the repairs, in 2018.

It seems to me that the urgency didn't filter down to, and/or be absorbed by, the owners. Likely due to financial considerations. The repairs entailed a LOT of money ... and disruption.

"The problem needed to be addressed quickly, Morabito wrote." (BBM)
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252385083.html

(From the October 2018 “Structural Field Survey Report,” produced for the condo association by engineer Frank Morabito of Morabito Consultants.)

true, I guess I have the luxury of hindsight. Bc I wish they put red siren emojis and wrote in all caps. Also, are there multiple engineering reports? I feel like I read two different ones but I might be getting confused.

for some reason one of the penthouse apt numbers is 1012. The penthouses were built above the 12th floor. Not sure what they numbered the units on the 10th floor in this case.

8777 Collins Ave #1012, Surfside, FL - 3 beds/2 baths

Thank you for the correction. That would make his apt level a penthouse. One of the relatives reported that he lived on the 11th floor.

There's also another discrepancy about Moises Rodan who, according to a reporter, lived in unit #308. That unit is still standing.
https://mobile.twitter.com/FrancesWangTV/status/1408138433797791749

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.51.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 4.51.36 PM.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 22
An 88-year-old survivor of the condo collapse in Surfside, Florida, was carried to safety by her neighbors - CNN

6 Things to Know: Push for Changes Amplified After Surfside Building Collapse

No. 6 - A cat by the name of Coco remains trapped in one of the apartments of the Champlain Towers South. The small cat was trapped after his 89-year-old owner and her daughter were fortunately rescued from her apartment on the corner of the fourth floor of the south tower. Fire rescue crews cannot enter at this moment to look for Coco due to the unstable conditions of the surrounding debris, but for now have used a cherry picker to leave food and water on the balcony for the kitten.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-beach/article252497083.html

Structural concerns halt search a week after condo collapse
7:40 a.m: Exactly one week after the Champlain Towers South building collapsed, rescue crews early Thursday stopped work amid concerns that the remaining structure could topple. Also, South Florida is bracing for the possible arrival of a tropical storm later in the week that could affect the site.

oh gosh I hope they are able to save the kitten
I can't stand the thought of so many pets dying too

I can't stand videos either and I think I have ADHD. I want transcripts to speed read!

Exactly! I don’t have ADHD, but I’d rather speed read and avoid sitting through videos unless they are super important. And thank you to all who post videos with a brief note describing what they contain so I can decide if it’s worth my time. :)

I can't stand videos either and I think I have ADHD. I want transcripts to speed read!

Just a reminder that if you click the top portion of a YT video link, you can then right-click the video to watch via the main YT site. From there, you can use the settings option (looks like a gear cog wheel), to adjust the video playback speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mama1996