FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So there were more than one building that collapsed?

The side of one building from first reports, and then an entire multi-story garage next to it that pancaked in secondary reports?

That's a big sinkhole if it took out both... that only had one side of the building come apart.. and then an entire multi story (8 stories??) that collapsed next to it.

Waiting on MSM updates......and LE presser updates.......

I think a small sinkhole could cause a chain reaction event like house of cards. The bottom left of the parking garage/area is what I was talking about. The ground is sunken in but above floors have not collapsed.

What happened?
About half of the 136 units in the 12-story tower had collapsed, according to Daniella Levine Cava, the mayor of Miami-Dade County, Fla. “We’re going to do everything we can possibly do to identify and rescue those who have been trapped in the rubble,” she said at a news conference Thursday morning.

The beachside building, at 8777 Collins Avenue, is called Champlain Towers South and was built in 1981, according to city property records. It has 136 units, according to to the Miami-Dade property appraiser.''

“A number of people” were rushed to nearby hospitals from the rubble of the collapsed building, a police spokesman said. At least two people were in critical condition, according to a spokesman for Aventura Hospital and Medical Center.

As of 10 a.m. Thursday, 51 people who own units in the building had not been accounted for, Commissioner Sally Heyman of Miami-Dade County said that officials had informed her. That did not mean they were missing, she said, just that the authorities had not been able to reach them''

''Charles Burkett, the mayor of Surfside, told the “Today” show on NBC that dogs had been searching for people trapped under the rubble since 2 a.m.

“Apparently when the building came down, it pancaked,” he said. “So there’s just not a lot of voids that they’re finding or seeing from the outside.”

I heard from a neighbor in the livestream I posted above, that they had been doing roof work on a building nearby, for the last couple of months. Could all that banging on a nearby building have made this one unstable in some way? Sounds a little farfetched, but I know zero about this topic. Why did the whole thing go down? What were the explosions (sounded like thunder/lightning) that neighbors heard?

The bursts of lights on the now approved video through MSM in the second parking structure on the right side.(which some might think are explosives). is that an anomaly?

rbbm.
SEE IT: Condo Collapse In Surfside
''Miami-Dade Fire Rescue fears there may still be bodies or people trapped in the rubble.

“We had dogs out in the middle of the night, looking for survivors in the rubble, but it was just so dangerous and so dark that they made one pass and they did not get any hits. The problem is the building has literally pancaked. It has gone down. And I mean, there’s just feet in between stories where there were 10 feet,” said Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett.

County Commissioner Sally Heyman said there are 51 people unaccounted for at this time. Some of the units are owned by vacationers and may not have been in the building at the time.''

''A family reunification center has been set up for anyone looking for unaccounted or missing relatives at 9301 Collins Avenue. People can also call (305) 614-1819.''

There's a Mexican agrupation, Los Topos, with extense experience in search and rescue from collapsed buildings and such. Hope would be a way for them to come over and help save some lives :(. But so hard to have hope if the building did pancaked down into a sinkhole. What a tragedy

Last edited:
These type of catastrophic searches are brutal. These men and women will be trained (most likely) in structural awareness, confined spaces, HazMat, etc. Then if they're handlers, they work these scenes with dogs. Such a dangerous and horrific scene.

This is where you might see handlers of live find dogs, at a certain point, staging mock rescues to keep the motivation and spirits up of their dogs. It's tough when they can smell their target odor, but can't get close enough for a final location alert :( IMO

Last edited:
It looks like the ground floor has sunk under the part of the building that is still standing:

062421_n13-surfside-building-collapse-daytime-miami-dade-fire

Building partially collapses near Miami Beach; At least 1 dead

I heard from a neighbor in the livestream I posted above, that they had been doing roof work on a building nearby, for the last couple of months. Could all that banging on a nearby building have made this one unstable in some way? Sounds a little farfetched, but I know zero about this topic. Why did the whole thing go down? What were the explosions (sounded like thunder/lightning) that neighbors heard?

Thought possible, but the entire parking garage next door is the building that totally collapsed. So I discount that. MOO

I'm just north of Miami in Broward county and this is all anyone is talking about/the only thing on the radio or tv news. It's hard to wrap my head around this. I made a couple deliveries to this building when I worked in North Miami Beach 2013-2015. Incomprehensible seeing it now.

I'm wondering about a sinkhole, too.

It would have to be fairly large, and perhaps span the walls between the 2 segment of the building that came down.

If that building was constructed 40 years ago, even minor water or sewer pipe leaks could have softened the hard fill it was built on.

The forensic examination of this failure will be extensive. I fear it has significant impacts on the structural safety of other such buildings in the area. I can't see how they could have been built on bedrock there - looks like an overgrown sandbar with lots of "fill".

Really, the remaining part of that building needs to be demolished, too. It can't be safe after having that massive a weight impact the adjacent soil foundation

I’m sure that condos of similar age and construction will be inspected throughout Florida.
Two buildings north of this site stands the Champlain Towers North condo building which looks to be the exact same layout and size as the Champlain Towers South building that collapsed

Last edited:
Two buildings north of this site stands the Champlain Towers North condo building which looks to be the exact same layout and size as the Champlain Towers South building that collapsed

The "sister" Champlain Towers would be even more dangerous now.... ** or whatever Towers are remaining.

Anyone know where the roof work was being done - on all three or ?? And, when was this property last inspected? I suppose we will find out in days/weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member