FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #2 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bbm: Oh gosh, to this day I love the sound of roudy little kids playing in a neighborhood more than anything.

Yet for some people, including many with autism and aspergers, some sounds are effectively torture. Many find the sound of children's shrieky voices to be like nails on a blackboard. It's not a sound that can necessarily be blocked out since it's one that we as a species are programmed to listen for and respond to since it can be mean a child in distress as well as one playing.

Wow. I’m actually speechless. Kids he went to school with could see it and trained professionals missed it???? Perhaps a 5 minute interview at the scene is not enough to make a proper assessment. Smh

Sometimes psychopaths can charm therapists. I'm not saying Cruz was a psychopath however.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/1...fbi-cops-school-but-warning-signs-missed.html

I don't believe there is another mass shooting that had this many warning signs. This is a good read and as far as I have seen it is the only news outl3t actually focusing on the missed signs and the failure after reporting this individual

This is a main aspect we should be focusing on.

Excerpt
Despite the repeated calls to authorities, Cruz was never arrested – and was basically cleared as being “no threat to anyone or himself,” as one therapist said in a police report from Sept. 28, 2016.

This community was failed by the therapists. It seemed everyone was begging for help.

beep beep beep beep breaking now

FBI was called another time with specific concerns (Jan this year) about him doing a school shooting

it was a very specific call

they acknowledged they messed up

Wray is investigating

the cops that blew off some of the 30 calls have some problems ahead of them when the director of the FBI is looking into this

MSNBC

This isn't going to bode well for FBI if they indeed blew off three credible tips.

I’m still struggling with how one of the best and richest schools did not have security measures in place where someone cannot just open a door and enter a stairwell? At my childrens’ middle and high school, there is one door that is unlocked during school hours and those doors go to a window from the office where you need to check in, get a visitor badge, and then the office secretary has to buzz you thru another set of doors. All high schoolers have to scan a badge in order to open the inner set of doors and there is a monitor there at all times. So I have a hard time understanding how someone in the middle of the day can just open a door and go inside? Sad.

Interesting. That gives us a little insight into his home life. Mom may have been in denial about his violence outside the home. Didn't want others to know what was going on. I'm still shocked at the number of guns he owned. She must have been helping him purchase them, it seemed like a pretty expensive collection.

Why would anyone help someone that emotionally unstable buy guns?

Everything that was needed to stop this shooting before it happened was in place. We had failures at mulitple levels, the FBI is a big one but school and local officials are just as responsible as FBI. FBI didnt do there job but they are also removed from the situation. The local guys were right there and had access to all the history and information about Cruz and actually had contact with him. Like I said earlier, I hope each family sues the school district, the police force, and all that didn't do their job.

What would happen if everyone pulled their kids out of public school? What if kids were too afraid to go and refused? You couldn't make me go. There's no way I'd go.

Also, I hope we find out the identity of the person who left the FBI tip.

Sometimes psychopaths can charm therapists. I'm not saying Cruz was a psychopath however.

Yes. Which is exactly why they need to do a more extensive assessment. And it floors me that with all the school shootings that came before this one, no one in LE, the school system or anyone else apparently thought to figure out what was going on with this kid.

Even if it was outside their purview they should have at least inform the local authorities to investigate the threat.

Here's a "primer" on how the shooter evaded all the security at the high school. It seems he studied the weakest points. Hopefully, like you suggested, this will be a case study for improvement measures. :(

Florida school shooting: How was killer able to get around school security?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/b...l-florida-school-shooting-20180215-story.html
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High has fences, gates and emergency procedures to keep students safe, but a determined gunman found a way around them.

He came when he knew the gates would be open and set off a fire alarm that would dismantle a safety system, officials say. And the school resource officer, who is supposed to help protect students, may not have been on school grounds at the time.

Accused gunman Nikolas Cruz, who had been expelled from the school for behavioral problems, arrived on campus about 20 minutes before the school day ended.

That’s the time school officials usually open the gates around campus so students and staff parked in various parking lots, as well as school buses and parents picking up their kids, can get out easily, said Jerry Graziose, the district’s former director of school safety.

“During the day, those areas locked. But when you’re getting ready for kids to leave, all the gates in the different areas have to be unlocked, and it takes a few minutes for the person doing that,” Graziose said.

I'm going to jump in here to say that anything that will help to reduce or stop these school shootings is going to take time to put into effect. In the meantime IMO our schools need to be properly secured or we will continue to see these tragedies. We need more armed guards, fences and metal detectors at our schools now. My God this is so frightening.

What would happen if everyone pulled their kids out of public school? What if kids were too afraid to go and refused? You couldn't make me go. There's no way I'd go.

What if.............

Nationwide, parents pulled their children from school for a week in protest over the lack of:

1. Providing mental health care for children
2. Secure and safe schools
3. A gun law that prohibits gun ownership under the age of 21
4. Mandatory workshop for ALL teachers on mental health awareness
5. Mandatory classes for all enrolled students on bullying
6. More funding for schools.....................

JS.

What if.............

Nationwide, parents pulled their children from school for a week in protest over the lack of:

1. Providing mental health care for children
2. Secure and safe schools
3. A gun law that prohibits gun ownership under the age of 21
4. Mandatory workshop for ALL teachers on mental health awareness
5. Mandatory classes for all enrolled students on bullying
6. More funding for schools.....................

JS.

Pulling kids from school for a week wouldn't do anything. The teachers still get paid, the school district received their money for each student in the fall, basically you would just be giving everyone a paid week off and the most impact would be on the parents that had to stay home with kids.
if every adult stayed home for a week, that would have a huge impact

Pulling kids from school for a week wouldn't do anything. The teachers still get paid, the school district received their money for each student in the fall, basically you would just be giving everyone a paid week off and the most impact would be on the parents that had to stay home with kids

You really think it would have no positive impact? Teachers go on strike and it brings on a fix. Why can't students and parents?
And, FYI, districts do NOT get paid when children don't attend. That's why there's strict attendance policies.

I wonder why the tipster didn't tip off local LE, as well? Fear of being identified?

309ae37a989a09405fb225c814ab5c33.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is also the time when divorce became much more acceptable and as families split apart children had schedules and lives that could rival a corporate schedule shuttled between families, daycare, school, etc. Then there were the "latch key" kids in the 80's.

I think the sociological aspect of children's lives is really different in "this modern world". For instance, in the 60's there was no McDonald's, three channels on the TV if you were lucky, cartoon time Saturday morning (that was it), no meds (many weren't developed until decades later), before big Agra when food had better nutritional value, and a time of much more permanent roots, real estate was for living, not flipping, when renting was affordable, when jobs lasted a lifetime, before Malls, before shopping on Sunday, way before technology. -A time when kids walked everywhere, biked, played street games, little league, explored the woods, gathered at public swimming holes, the beach, rivers, lakes, etc., etc. Read books. And worshiped (some very reluctantly), Sunday dinner with extended families. It was a simpler time. Lifelong friendships were formed. Because life was simpler.

While I know many families seek to provide that consistency, lifestyles are often contrary, and I have wondered if the use of social media is a born out of a longing for "the neighborhood".

We are seeing such a rise in certain conditions, childhood diabetes, autism, ADHD, and kids are prescribed drugs. It's not that this is new or didn't exist before; schizophrenia still manafests in the late teens early twenties, but I wonder about the effect of an inert lifestyle on children.

A child's energy could power the space shuttle... Where does it go when Phys Ed and music programs are cut, when there's no neighborhood to run around in, when their lives are so proscribed? As they are shuffled around is their connection, their desire for the neighborhood found in their little glowing devices?

A few years ago I remember this 2014 article out of New Zealand about a principle who believes a playground with no rules was a better way. The premise being, let kids fall down and figure out. It's a lot like my growing up.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/story/no-rules-school

And what is happening to the disenfranchised ones? We know gangs are a substitute family. And so are these radical groups and connections online. They fill the gap of what's missing, a sense of belonging? What are the commonalities of disenfranchisement? This brings me to the question of what is missing in this demographic of shooters?

We can look at the mental and sociological aspects but truth is if a radical "gang", or thinking, is so readily accessible online, if hate is the new love, if the ways and means to commit an atrocity is readily available, and the gang rewards it as heroism, I am not sure there is a category in the diagnostic manual for this?

This is one of the most useful/excellent responses in this thread. Thank you so much, rosemadderlake!

quoting one small piece you said: “...but I wonder about the effect of an inert lifestyle on children.” I am one who believes it has become a major detriment, to both ohysical and mental health.

In my area, Central Fl., most parents that really care about their children's education, if they can afford it, send their
children to private schools. And since I've subbed in the public schools, I understand this. the middle and high schools
are notoriously packed with teachers who don't really care, just putting in their time til they retire. Same with many
administrators. It's just a job. And then add in putting your kids in the same room with messed up, drugged, neglected
kids some of whom are even selling drugs in public schools and you can understand the problem. Public middle and
high schools are like a jungle around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member