FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas H.S. shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 #3 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he call for backup or 911 at least?

How could so many people fail to do the right thing?
I understand he was afraid and perhaps rushing towards the shooter was unwise. But no record of a police call to 911?

Maybe he thought it was a drill like many of the students have reported. idk, this stuff is all getting way too strange. I have trouble even commenting on this stuff anymore.

I wouldn't mind seeing some 'willing and highly trained' teachers at least have an opportunity to be able to stop a threat like that.

I think it's colder and unsympathetic to let the 'child' slaughter countless other children.

IMO

I don't know any teachers willing, nor highly trained, do that. I do see a whole movement of teachers asking us NOT to expect that of them, though. #ArmMeWith

Maybe he thought it was a drill like many of the students have reported. idk, this stuff is all getting way too strange. I have trouble even commenting on this stuff anymore.

I agree things are getting way too strange.
We don't have all the facts so nothing seems to make any sense right now to me either.

I don't know any teachers willing, nor highly trained, do that. I do see a whole movement of teachers asking us NOT to expect that of them, though. #ArmMeWith

I don't think anyone expects all or most teachers to be capable or willing to take on such a task. I have no doubt that some teachers are capable.

They don't have to shoot to kill, they can shoot to bring him down.

If I were a teacher and an ex-student of mine were shooting and killing students, he is at that point no longer my ex student, but a killer, and I would have no problem shooting to bring him down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you just come out and say it for the dense people such as myself who aren’t getting it?

There are peculiarities about this that have struck me from the beginning. I backed away a bit when I was seen as being insensitive to the family who took him in. In my opinion I believe there are reasons why these 2 boys have been grossly exploited.

What happened between 2004 to now that has caused the family to be abandoned by extended family members, acquaintances and LE? It could be just disruptive behavior of NC but I think there is more to it. There are living family members but for whatever reason they have distanced themselves. That’s their right but it just seems it has been that way for a long time.

The wealth of the company should have been enough for Lynda and the boys for life. I’m wondering if she ever received her portion or buy out? I haven’t found anything on the alleged suit she filed against a doctor. There is a suit on pension but unsure of plaintiff/defendants.

That’s all, there isn’t any hidden message. I tend to tiptoe on matters if they become too distracting. And last but not the least, you are not dense! :)

From 2Hopes post-Snipped:

Why was this family so isolated from society? WHY was there no family? Why no support system? What in the world was really going on here, and did this situation cause Nicolas to become who he is, or enforced his weaknesses, or did his behavior alienate the family from everyone? I can't imagine EVERYONE turning their backs on the parents because of a child's behavior. I just can't see it. Did the parents decide to alienate themselves for whatever reasons? If so, WHY?
The WHYS are on point! There is much to be inquistive about. Just too many oddities??

There are peculiarities about this that have struck me from the beginning. I backed away a bit when I was seen as being insensitive to the family who took him in. In my opinion I believe there are reasons why these 2 boys have been grossly exploited.

What happened between 2004 to now that has caused the family to be abandoned by extended family members, acquaintances and LE? It could be just disruptive behavior of NC but I think there is more to it. There are living family members but for whatever reason they have distanced themselves. That’s their right but it just seems it has been that way for a long time.

The wealth of the company should have been enough for Lynda and the boys for life. I’m wondering if she ever received her portion or buy out? I haven’t found anything on the alleged suit she filed against a doctor. There is a suit on pension but unsure of plaintiff/defendants.

That’s all, there isn’t any hidden message. I tend to tiptoe on matters if they become too distracting. And last but not the least, you are not dense! :)

There's so much more to this than meets the eye. Many facts are not on the table just yet.

If I were a teacher and an ex-student of mine were shooting and killing students, he is at that point no longer my ex student, but a killer, and I would have no problem shooting to bring him down.

But we aren't teachers and we aren't listening to the teachers who are speaking out.

Also, let's consider the responding officers in a situation where teachers are armed. How do they know who the aggressor is? Calls to 911 are usually simply "active shooter", so when police enter a building and encounter an armed individual, what do they do?

Members on this website crow about how they have to treat anyone as if they are armed, and if they ARE armed, they have to treat them as a threat. So now the teacher becomes a threat in the eyes of police.

Common sense, people. We want to make it EVEN HARDER for police in this situation???

I am a private teacher and I would NOT feel comfortable in an active shooter scenario, most cops don't either and they are trained. The teachers would need military/specialized training and the ability to react quickly w/o overreacting.

I don't see nothing unusual about that. His adoptive mother called police numerous times herself, for some of the similar things.

Actually I was referring to the calls the mother made. She made so many calls to LE and I feel some of them were silly. She seems to have been using LE as a parenting mechanism.

I have a friend who adopted a RAD child from Romania who was four at the time of adoption. Their life was hell with him. They were able to terminate parental rights when he was 14. I do not know how that happened as she does not discuss it. She lived in another state from me.

She did not lose friends because of him as he was 14, but we were all terrified that he might have done something to the family.i have another friend who lived close and we did discuss fears about him coming to their home . So I can see as Cruz became older that people would have distanced themselves because they feared for their own safety.

My friend tried many methods for therapy for her child. Because they have a nice income, they were expected to pay thousands. Residential care runs about $6000 a month. They are professionals so that kind of expense was not even possible. Terminating rights is not a process I umderstand if it comes from the parents rather than the state doing it. My friends wanted the child out of their lives and if you knew their life, you would see why.

Linda seems to have been at her wit’s end, yet she sacrificed her own life so her boys would have money. She must have loved them.

I was taking classes to become an art teacher after the uptick of school shootings I no longer pursued teaching in a public school realm. There's no way I would deal with this amount of stress everyday for low wages, no respect.
I fear good teachers will quit in droves and only teach privately.

Privately? Do you mean you feel this woukd not happen in a private school?

Privately? Do you mean you feel this woukd not happen in a private school?

I am a private instructor I teach one on one classes in my home, small classes in my art studio and at private secured art schools. Classes are around 5-10 students per teacher.
The schools I teach at have much stricter higher security including secure gates, key cards, and security with guns.
This could happen in private school but not as easily students are expelled for threats not allowed back in class the next day.
I wouldn't agree to carry a concealed weapon to class without extensive Active Shooting training first.

Absolutely! To end a life is a horrible experience! It is one of the worst things a person can do, whether they are trained to do so or not! If a teacher wanted to be trained to kill someone then they would not have chosen to be teachers. They would have gone into another profession. Hopefully this issue will not become another “stupid” law. Hopefully teachers will have the freedom to choose to carry a gun.

I think because it seems many on here are not teachers, they may not understand what it means to be a teacher.

As a retired teacher, we were trained to look for the strengths in a child. To teach to strengths instead of deficits. To look for the positive in a child and build upon that. Of course, some teachers are not nice people and love power so they do not operate that way. And we know that some are there to take advantage of children.

So, if you have the teacher that you want for your child, that is the one who wants the best for your child. That teacher cannot blow away a child. That would be like saying that someone could kill their own child.

The other kinds of teachers may have the capability to blow a child away. But I would never want that teacher for my child even if s/he did not have a gun.

A police officer has a different role, but even officers are being trained to treat people in a different way.

I can't judge security guard yet, cause I don't know enough. He might not have known where he was, who he was, didn't want to shoot innocent students, who knows. SO, the bigger thing to me is looking at the big picture. What this tells me is that having a locked campus (it was locked, but gates had been opened for dismissal) and having an armed guard on duty was not a deterrent for the shooter. So, back to the drawing board. Those things aren't enough of a deterrent to stop it. Even if the guard would have come in, this guy had already shot people. I understand it might have minimized the deaths, but I am looking at solutions to completely deter. Somehow, this didn't work. And i would have been one to bet having an armed guard would have kept a shooter from targeting that school.

I'm rambling, but I guess when you actually attend a school, you know all the ins and outs and have been trained on protocal. You know where students will hide. You know why the door is locked and where all the sitting ducks will be. Hhmmm. Needs to be rethought. It's interesting and something I had not considered much, before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

:)

Somewhere there's an article that mentioned she settled the malpractice suit and only received $175,000.

Have we heard anything about Lynda's birth relatives? Did any of this family attend any church?

I am sure many feel that way. But, better hope you don't shoot any children in the crossfire of this shoot out.

If you take your gun out you are using it to kill not "bring him down" No one is taught to shoot to maim not kill.

Somewhere there's an article that mentioned she settled the malpractice suit and only received $175,000.

Have we heard anything about Lynda's birth relatives? Did any of this family attend any church?

Haven’t exhausted the search into her birth relatives yet. Rogers parents are deceased (preceded by him in death). It appears his ex wife is living, as is an adult daughter from that marriage.

But yes, a church or community center of sorts that may have taken interest at one time...just odd that they wouldn’t come forward in the way of reaching out this one time for the sake of dignity for Lynda.

Almost feels as though she has been silenced. Hopefully the hospital staff who pronounced her death was able to provide closure in a dignified manner. I wonder who has her death certificate. Roxys friend ‘Bennet’ said the boys were in the room with her when she died...and they were sad. Take that though for what it’s worth.

Unless the boys requested the photo with the urn to be taken the setup of it is odd. Regardless it should have never been publicized.

The exploitation goes on and tragically there is no one to stop it. There isn’t anyone to open an investigation into these matters that are peculiar at best.

Zachary still has a chance for a better life but no infrastructure to speak of at this point in support of that.

The sadness is pervasive...suffocating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members