GUILTY FL - 17 killed in Stoneman Douglas High School shooting, Parkland, 14 Feb 2018 *shooter Guilty, School officer NG* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
PROSECUTOR'S HUSBAND ACCUSED AS DRUG DEALER
South Florida Sun-Sentinel • May 27, 2009
FORT LAUDERDALE — A Broward prosecutor's husband has been busted as a suspected drug dealer in possession of more than an ounce of cocaine, nearly a pound of marijuana and 21 prescription pills.

Anthony Mercer, 35, has been married to Elizabeth Scherer-Mercer, 33, a prosecutor in the Broward State Attorney's Office, since May 4, 2002.

After his May 21 arrest in the Fort Lauderdale warehouse where the narcotics and pills were found, Mercer admitted to police that he had packaged the drugs for distribution and said it was "basically paying the rent," according to an arrest report.

What exactly is this judge’s problem? She gives off the vibe that she has better things to do. Seriously? She’s rolling her eyes bc two jurors wanted to file a complaint.
her attitude at the hearing this afternoon is one of seemingly being clueless. You have a message from a juror like that you blow off and now it is clear three are reporting things. That lead State attorney is the smartest one in the room and has to tell judge what to do. Judge Scherer is too inexperienced to have run this trial. We have not heard the last of this.

PROSECUTOR'S HUSBAND ACCUSED AS DRUG DEALER
South Florida Sun-Sentinel • May 27, 2009
this has been all over media and I believe they are long divorced. Clearly her path to the bench is not based on many years of excellent legal work. She was not the best choice for this case and State had a real challenge dealing with her bad decisions.

Not trying to argue/belabor the point but is she clueless or just unserious? I feel like she is impatient and doesn’t want to be bothered. Someone inexperienced but making an effort to do things properly would have a diff demeanor IMO. Her demeanor to me suggests someone who is lazy/doesn’t want to exert too much effort/spoiled/just wants to wrap things up quickly.

I guess I still don't understand why some are upset with the Judge. She cannot speak privately with a juror like that. She could have directed the juror to speak to the Clerk about a complaint but that is probably all. This was after the verdict. The Prosecution isn't seeking to challenge the verdict. The complaint gets turned over to law enforcement to investigate. Seems to me that jurors should have notified the court of these problems before a verdict.

Last edited:
Why can’t she speak privately to a juror after the case is over? The jury was discharged. Judges often speak to jurors in the jury room after they discharge them. To thank them etc. If she was worried about the appropriateness of a convo why couldn’t she ask them to write down the issue so she can share with the parties or file it? Her total disinterest is troubling. Not only was she disinterested she made an assumption that it was about parking etc. Why wouldn’t you take jurors seriously? IMO

Report on an interview with juror. Much more at the link

One of the three jurors in the Parkland school massacre case who was against the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz told CNN Friday she did not make her decision until the “very last minute.”

Ultimately, she was persuaded to vote for life without parole because she “felt that the system failed” Cruz repeatedly throughout his life, from the schools he attended to mental health professionals who evaluated him.

“There were negative sarcastic remarks,” Vanoy said. “I heard comments like, ‘we’re going to let the families down.'”

“I felt disrespected, despite the relationships that we had built,” she added. “The energy was so heated that we wanted to get out of that room. They had to take us down for over 30 minutes to just give us fresh air so we can move around and separate. That’s how heated it got.”

“It got ugly,” Vanoy said.

Why can’t she speak privately to a juror after the case is over? The jury was discharged. Judges often speak to jurors in the jury room after they discharge them. To thank them etc. If she was worried about the appropriateness of a convo why couldn’t she ask them to write down the issue so she can share with the parties or file it? Her total disinterest is troubling. Not only was she disinterested she made an assumption that it was about parking etc. Why wouldn’t you take jurors seriously? IMO
you make some good points. I have served on two juries...when settled or finished the judge invited us to chambers and entertained any questions and thanked us for our service. In a case like this with so many months of service by the jury, a judge would go back and thank them and speak with them. It is clear she did not do this or they would have raised the issues with her. "assumed it was about parking" is a real insult to the jurors. Usually in these cases the judge develops a rapport of sorts with jurors...inquires about their weekends etc. I did not sense that in this courtroom. She would make comments to her clerk and court reporter but never seemed overly pleasant to the jury.

you make some good points. I have served on two juries...when settled or finished the judge invited us to chambers and entertained any questions and thanked us for our service. In a case like this with so many months of service by the jury, a judge would go back and thank them and speak with them. It is clear she did not do this or they would have raised the issues with her. "assumed it was about parking" is a real insult to the jurors. Usually in these cases the judge develops a rapport of sorts with jurors...inquires about their weekends etc. I did not sense that in this courtroom. She would make comments to her clerk and court reporter but never seemed overly pleasant to the jury.
Agreeing with you and the post you quoted. My mind is blown at the flippancy she seemed to take that information with. I was surprised it wasn’t pursued further by the attorneys on both sides. Idk about y’all, but I want to know what he would’ve told her!

Agreeing with you and the post you quoted. My mind is blown at the flippancy she seemed to take that information with. I was surprised it wasn’t pursued further by the attorneys on both sides. Idk about y’all, but I want to know what he would’ve told her!
I think it will be pursued by state attorneys. It is so unusual that I think all parties were blindsided. There was mention that this party was attempting to get the judge's attention in the courtroom? Did no one see this? It is just so odd.

I had a feeling he wouldn’t get DP so I wasn’t that surprised. I think giving DP to a young person is understandably hard. No matter what we think of these school shooters I think it’s clear they are highly disturbed young individuals. Teens. It would be extremely difficult to find twelve grown adults to all agree to sentence a teenager to death! Especially those that have children. I know he’s no longer a teen but he looks it still. He will never be free and I feel that is enough!
Agree....we are hearing from some of the parents and loved ones of the victims....but it is possible that if a poll were taken maybe not all of them are unhappy with this verdict. He will rot in prison or worse and they don't have to return for appeals etc. Nothing will bring back their family members.

I think it will be pursued by state attorneys. It is so unusual that I think all parties were blindsided. There was mention that this party was attempting to get the judge's attention in the courtroom? Did no one see this? It is just so odd.
Very unusual for sure. And with a case of such magnitude. It’s just crazy!

Come on judge! What’s the hold up!? Im just here to see the judge’s face! I know she cursed up a storm when she saw this filing! I would be really surprised if this juror has a valid claim of being threatened. I wonder if the juror understood she would be dragged back into open court in front of everyone! You don’t want that smoke lady!
Have you ever served on a capital murder trial? I have.

Report on an interview with juror. Much more at the link

One of the three jurors in the Parkland school massacre case who was against the death penalty for Nikolas Cruz told CNN Friday she did not make her decision until the “very last minute.”

Ultimately, she was persuaded to vote for life without parole because she “felt that the system failed” Cruz repeatedly throughout his life, from the schools he attended to mental health professionals who evaluated him.

“There were negative sarcastic remarks,” Vanoy said. “I heard comments like, ‘we’re going to let the families down.'”

“I felt disrespected, despite the relationships that we had built,” she added. “The energy was so heated that we wanted to get out of that room. They had to take us down for over 30 minutes to just give us fresh air so we can move around and separate. That’s how heated it got.”

“It got ugly,” Vanoy said.

REALLY?

Agree....we are hearing from some of the parents and loved ones of the victims....but it is possible that if a poll were taken maybe not all of them are unhappy with this verdict. He will rot in prison or worse and they don't have to return for appeals etc. Nothing will bring back their family members.

I just read this article the other day about the brother of one of the victims. Parents wanted the DP, he did not.

I just read this article the other day about the brother of one of the victims. Parents wanted the DP, he did not.

you put any 12 people in a room and getting agreement on guilty or not is sometimes difficult but agreement on putting someone to death..well close to impossible....especially a younger person with no previous major criminal behavior. A lifelong criminal would have a better chance of getting DP. I think the State did a good job but never thought it would be DP. That said it was really tough to hear the families speak after.

I might be wrong, but for me the point of this trial was to take note of necessity of more mental health help for troubled children and teens.
Plus highlighting the extreme danger of drinking alcohol during pregnancy which causes irreparable damage to unborn children.

Even if only 1 woman takes notice - it was worthwhile, because it might prevent future tragedy.

I pray for the parents of victims to have the strenght to carry on living :(
Yes, I see your point and I hope so as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liiinebecc
Back