FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do you just NOT wear life jackets on a boat?????

For better or for worse, swimmers can get pretty blase about the need for life jackets and usually dont wear them. All of my children are strong swimmers and though their water experience is limited to pools, lakes and creeks, need to get beaten (figuratively) before they will put them on- even when it is required by law to do so. Despite the figurative beating, they keep looking for excuses to them off.

That aside, this incident is so awful as there are no survivors from an entire family. I cant imagine what that must be like for the relatives.

For better or for worse, swimmers can get pretty blase about the need for life jackets and usually dont wear them. All of my children are strong swimmers and though their water experience is limited to pools, lakes and creeks, need to get beaten (figuratively) before they will put them on- even when it is required by law to do so. Despite the figurative beating, they keep looking for excuses to them off.

That aside, this incident is so awful as there are no survivors from an entire family. I cant imagine what that must be like for the relatives.

But if a boat I am on is in distress, I'd put a life vest on!!!

I am with you 100%. As a side note, the family was living on the boat and also had two kayaks. I have noticed that some boaters tend to accumulate alot of life jackets over the years they just dont wear them often. Perhaps the ones the Coast Guard found were extras?

I am with you 100%. As a side note, the family was living on the boat and also had two kayaks. I have noticed that some boaters tend to accumulate alot of life jackets over the years they just dont wear them often. Perhaps the ones the Coast Guard found were extras?

They said in the press conference that they had 7 life vests and 6 of them were found in the debris. I think it was the brother that told the Coast Guard that they had 7 on board.

Not encouraging news:

USCGSoutheast

#BreakingNews #USCG boatcrew locates green kayak believed to belong to missing family IVO debris field. Search continues.

USCGSoutheast

#BreakingNews #USCG a yellow kayak located also believed to belong to missing family IVO of debris field. Search continues.

Maybe it only became a point of what they would consider distress too late since they lived on the boat their point may be different than you and I. Either way it is very sad.

Sent from my SCH-I545

According to the Coast Guard Sector in St. Petersburg, a concerned family member stated that the missing family was last heard from Sunday morning when they left Sarasota at 7 a.m. to sail to Fort Myers to repair the boat. The man reportedly called his brother around 3 p.m. that day to tell him he was offshore near Englewood in 6-foot-deep seas “attempting to survive with his children.” http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...ther-3-teens-missing-off-florida-coast/nrkdW/

Why would they not let the Coast Guard know the father "was attempting to survive with his children" in the 6 foot seas? It seems crazy to wait until he is long past due to arrive to call. The difference between possible survivors and none in my book.

I won't even comment on the idea that they were attempting to survive but did not wear life vests......

The boat had no radio - how did the dad call when he was in trouble? why not call the Coast Guard then???? This is insane.

The boat had no radio - how did the dad call when he was in trouble? why not call the Coast Guard then???? This is insane.

cell phone. he was asking his brother to get him some weather/map information so im guessing he didnt think he was in imminent danger at that moment, even though one of the stories seems to be quoting when they said he was "trying to survive", the fact that the brother did not even call the coast guard until tuesday is a good indicator that when they hung up the phone the brother did not think the situation was dire.

According to the Coast Guard Sector in St. Petersburg, a concerned family member stated that the missing family was last heard from Sunday morning when they left Sarasota at 7 a.m. to sail to Fort Myers to repair the boat. The man reportedly called his brother around 3 p.m. that day to tell him he was offshore near Englewood in 6-foot-deep seas “attempting to survive with his children.” http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/n...ther-3-teens-missing-off-florida-coast/nrkdW/

Why would they not let the Coast Guard know the father "was attempting to survive with his children" in the 6 foot seas? It seems crazy to wait until he is long past due to arrive to call. The difference between possible survivors and none in my book.

I won't even comment on the idea that they were attempting to survive but did not wear life vests......

yeah that "trying to survive" comment sort of throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing...

i dont think its an established fact that they were not wearing life vests although i was just working for a few hours and may have missed something.

last i saw they had found 6 life vests and thought there were 7 on the boat initially - where did that come from? is it not possible they had more? just purchased some new ones? etc...

Not encouraging news:

USCGSoutheast

#BreakingNews #USCG boatcrew locates green kayak believed to belong to missing family IVO debris field. Search continues.

USCGSoutheast

#BreakingNews #USCG a yellow kayak located also believed to belong to missing family IVO of debris field. Search continues.

oh darn, well that is terrible news. :(

yeah that "trying to survive" comment sort of throws a monkey wrench into the whole thing...

i dont think its an established fact that they were not wearing life vests although i was just working for a few hours and may have missed something.

last i saw they had found 6 life vests and thought there were 7 on the boat initially - where did that come from? is it not possible they had more? just purchased some new ones? etc...

IIRC, at the PC he said the brother had told the CG that they had at least 7 life vests.

Following USCGSoutheast (the CG station in charge) and watching "USCGSoutheast" as a search string on Twitter has been yet another lesson in the difference between what a person says at a press conference and how some reporters misunderstand or translate from clear to ambiguous wording.

oh darn, well that is terrible news. :(

After those tweets, the only thing the CG has tweeted is a photo of the family. One reporter, I think due to a misunderstanding, reported a while ago that they'd found a "piece of boat." No one else has said that and I hope it's incorrect. People have survived surprisingly long times in warm Gulf waters by staying with a capsized boat.

i thought it was law that every boat has to have a radio and an ebirp?

nope, but after those two boys went missing (never found, presumed lost at sea) they did pass a bill that gives people a discount on their boating license fee if they buy and register an epirb

radios are only mandatory for larger boats

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pollcat12