FL FL - Ace Kimberly & his 3 kids missing off coast near Englewood, 21 June 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
They've announced another press conference at 6:30 pm.

“Finding the kayak and life jackets signals that we are in a dire situation,” said Captain Greg Case, Commander of Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg. “We are continuing to keep in very close contact with the family and keep them updated on all developments during this difficult time. Locating the debris inside of our search field indicates that we are in the right area, and we are aggressively searching for Ace, Becky, Donny and Roger.”​

All available air and surface resources have been assigned to the search effort including both helicopter and fix-wing aircrews from Air Station Clearwater, Coast Guard Auxiliary and Customs and Border Protection. Crewmembers from the Coast Guard Cutter Alligator, Station Fort Myers Beach, and Station Cortez are actively searching as well.​

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office and Lee County Sheriff’s Office are also aiding in the search. We are working together with these partners to saturate the search area with resources and update our search plan as more information becomes available.​

body recovered related to case, wearing a life jacket

RIP

http://wfla.com/2016/06/21/coast-guard-boat-with-father-3-sons-missing-near-englewood/

[FONT=&quot]ST. PETERSBURG, FL (WFLA) – The US Coast Guard officials said they located a body while looking for a boat that went missing with a father and his three teenage children off the Florida coast near Englewood over the weekend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]They haven’t identified the body yet.[/FONT]

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 3.40.21 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 3.40.21 PM.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 452
:(

The livestream I watched cut out but I'm seeing reporters' tweets that the next briefing is at 10 am.

WTSP spoke with their mom and someone who owns a business near where the boat was anchored off Sarasota.

If there were only seven life vests on board, that would be the 7th. I hope the surviving family finds peace and comfort. I would be very surprised if anyone else has survived.

This is so tragic.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

In reading the stories, this is a family living off the grid so to speak. Kids were not in school, lived on the boat and all travelled together. I found it sad that the mother had nothing to do with her kids. I don't know the back story but it is heartbreaking to think.

In reading the stories, this is a family living off the grid so to speak. Kids were not in school, lived on the boat and all travelled together. I found it sad that the mother had nothing to do with her kids. I don't know the back story but it is heartbreaking to think.

Yeah, a little sad that mom called them "his children" and the aunt said "I think one played the guitar". Sounds like a rather isolated life. I hope they were happy together. RIP.

Tragic indeed, but I'd love to know the backstory. We're the maternal grandparents involved with the children at all? Sounds like only the Father's side of the family was close to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something doesn't sound right to me about this. Why was there a debris field? Was there a storm? (Maybe I missed that). And I find it odd that they seem to be so isolated but the brother knows how many life jackets they had? I guess he could have asked but it just seems like a weird thing to know. We used to have a sleeper boat we'd take out and I know there is no way any of our family members would have known how many life jackets we had. Even if they were on the boat.

Something doesn't sound right to me about this. Why was there a debris field? Was there a storm? (Maybe I missed that). And I find it odd that they seem to be so isolated but the brother knows how many life jackets they had? I guess he could have asked but it just seems like a weird thing to know. We used to have a sleeper boat we'd take out and I know there is no way any of our family members would have known how many life jackets we had. Even if they were on the boat.
I read 6 foot seas and taking the boat in for repairs. I don't know where the # of life jackets came from.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Yes, the Coast Guard verified there was a squall line. They were headed to Fort Myers for boat repairs and per Wink News to visit his brother in Fort Myers Beach. Midafternoon the father called his brother saying they were struggling in 6' seas with storms.

They had been anchored off Sarasota which is an hour north of Fort Myers on the interstate. The brothers probably hung out together. When friends of mine lived on a boat, I knew how many life jackets they had. Not only were they stashed in the "living room", the number determined how many people could go out (intentionally not many).

That part doesn't seem odd to me. What does is why the brother waited until later Tuesday to notify the Coast Guard. Not only did he know they were in a bad situation in a boat that marina staff described as "rickety," Englewood is about 40 miles north of Fort Myers Beach.

The poor sailing condition of the sailboat was briefly addressed by Coast Guard officials.

“They were taking a trip down there to work on the vessel. The vessel was not, not in the best of shape,” said Case.

The Coast Guard offered no reason as to why Ace Kimberly's brother waited two days to contact them. In a phone call Sunday, he says Ace had told him they were "attempting to survive" in rough seas.

Ace Kimberly had called his brother Sunday afternoon to report 6-foot seas and said that he was "attempting to survive with his children" offshore of Englewood. He also asked his brother for a weather report.

That is the last anyone has heard from the family.​

http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/sara...n-in-sailboat-missing-off-englewood/251849856

CG Captain Case said they had a 9.9hp outboard (no inboard though the boat was equipped for one) and I have no idea when the brother was expecting them or how long it would typically take a 29' sailboat to get from Englewood to Fort Myers, distance plus navigation issues, but ... two days? :(

From Fort Myers reporter Sam Smink about an hour ago:

#BREAKING: @USCGSoutheast on missing family search: 2 wetsuits, 2 life jackets, yellow kayak and fender found last night. #winknews (contd)

(contd) @USCGSoutheast continuing search today, extending to 40 miles off coast. Will be joined by LCSO, Iona, CCFD, FWC. #winknews (contd)

(contd) @USCGSoutheast: still no ID on body found yesterday. Body is headed to Pinellas County Medical Examiner Office. #winknews (contd)

Asked why brother didn't report family missing until Tues. @USCGSoutheast: we don't know. Ace sent text about 6 ft waves Sun. #winknews

From Tampa reporter Adrienne Pedersen:

UPDATE - @USCGSoutheast will fly a C-130 east of Sanibel at 9:30 this morning to look for the missing family. Flight could last 8-10 hours.

She also said WFLA will carry the 10 am press briefing live and online. http://wfla.com/watch-us-live/

ETA: From a Coast Guard media advisory:

A Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater C-130 aircraft crew is scheduled to conduct a search east of Sanibel at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, for a family who was reported missing after departing Sarasota enroute to Fort Myers Sunday and has room available for four media members to capture imagery.

<snip>

WHEN: 9:30 a.m. Thursday

The flight is scheduled to last eight to 10 hours.​

per the live press update just now - there was a report of a flare going up inside the search area, when asked about it he would not expand other than saying they are taking it seriously

per the live press update just now - there was a report of a flare going up inside the search area, when asked about it he would not expand other than saying they are taking it seriously

And seen from both a CG boat and a helicopter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tillygirl
Back