FL - Ajike "AJ" Owens, 35, fatally shot by neighbor, Marion County, June 2023 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The sheriff stated that the use of racial slurs by the shooter had not been confirmed. Likewise, there do not appear to be any racist oriented social media references made by the shooter.

Unless concrete evidence is produced, I am thinking that this is going to devolve into a murky status where race could have been an aggravating factor, it did not serve as the motivating cause.

As a side note, my city had a series of murders where the perpetrators seemed very selective in looking for robbery / home invasion victims of a particular race. Another perpetrator of a murdered tow truck drive seemed to go from "angry" to "killing rage" only after learning the race of the driver.

Yet, hate crime charges could not be pursued despite the apparent linkages because one almost needs to show the perpetrator's state of mind. This can be very difficult to do- unless they were say, active in the social media sense or other witnesses can be confirmed.
Ok thank you so much 4 explaining that makes sense

I found the shooter's FB to be set to very private, only showed pics of horses, so who knows what's lurking beyond public view? Or maybe she's just not active on SM in general, or chooses to participate in a more obscure platform. But that's pure speculation on my part.

ETA: I found her FB earlier today and didn't post it then. When I just tried to link in this post, it seems to have disappeared. At least I can't find it now and it came up easily before.

Also, lots of outcry on FB and some interesting comments from locals if you read some comments.
I wonder if they took it off of public view I don’t have facebook but heard that they took stuff off 4 whatever reason in different cases just saying I don’t know exactly

“In his soul, in his heart, it’s his fault that his older brother, his baby sister and his baby brother, as well as himself, will never see their mother again,” Owens’ mother, Pamela Dias, told reporters Wednesday.

Dias, who spoke at a news conference a day after a 58-year-old woman was arrested in connection with the death, said another child also blamed himself because he was unable to perform CPR on his mother.

“Grandma, grandma. I couldn’t save her,” Dias recalled the 12-year-old boy telling her.

“In his soul, in his heart, it’s his fault that his older brother, his baby sister and his baby brother, as well as himself, will never see their mother again,” Owens’ mother, Pamela Dias, told reporters Wednesday.

Dias, who spoke at a news conference a day after a 58-year-old woman was arrested in connection with the death, said another child also blamed himself because he was unable to perform CPR on his mother.

“Grandma, grandma. I couldn’t save her,” Dias recalled the 12-year-old boy telling her.
No not at all and now the kids have no mother and will probably have 2 have therapy because this lady killed the mom and it’s that lady fault just saying

Sounds like LE has definitely ruled-out "stand your ground" type of defense -- so glad that was stated early-on in this sad case.

Just saw this -- please forgive if it is a repeat --
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After years of threats, a feud ends with a Black mom dead and her white neighbor arrested​

OCALA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman accused of fatally shooting her neighbor last week in the violent culmination of what the sheriff described as a 2½-year feud was arrested Tuesday, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office said.
[...]
In a video posted on Facebook late Tuesday night, the sheriff said this was not a stand your ground case but “simply a killing.”
“Now many of you were struggling to understand why there was not an immediate arrest,” the sheriff said. “The laws here in the state of Florida are clear. Now I may not like them. I may not agree with them. But however, those laws I will follow.”
[...]
Owens' mother said she will now raise her four young grandchildren.
- - - - - - - - - -
Much more here:

Sounds like LE has definitely ruled-out "stand your ground" type of defense -- so glad that was stated early-on in this sad case.

Just saw this -- please forgive if it is a repeat --
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After years of threats, a feud ends with a Black mom dead and her white neighbor arrested​

OCALA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida woman accused of fatally shooting her neighbor last week in the violent culmination of what the sheriff described as a 2½-year feud was arrested Tuesday, the Marion County Sheriff’s Office said.
[...]
In a video posted on Facebook late Tuesday night, the sheriff said this was not a stand your ground case but “simply a killing.”
“Now many of you were struggling to understand why there was not an immediate arrest,” the sheriff said. “The laws here in the state of Florida are clear. Now I may not like them. I may not agree with them. But however, those laws I will follow.”
[...]
Owens' mother said she will now raise her four young grandchildren.
- - - - - - - - - -
Much more here:
Sad all the way around

"Simply a killing"?
That line stood out to me as well but I think he meant it wasn't self defense, or justified, it was a straight up killing.
From all I've read, I have to agree. It should have never happened.

Lorincz, who has lived in the area for 15 years, told officers that she 'feared for her life' during the incident.

But Marion County Sheriff Billy Woods dismissed her version of events as 'BS' on Thursday, adding video captured on security cameras at neighboring properties 'were the final nail.'

Woods said accounts from Owens' children were backed up by the surveillance footage seen by cops.

'There are things that people say that we're able to prove is a yellow flag – a b******t flag – and say no that is wrong,' he told WFTV.

'She couldn't see through the door, she couldn't see the individual. So her comments that she was in fear of her life… raises the hair on the back of our neck.'

From the article:
"Dias says the 9-year-old witnessed it all and the 12-year-old tried to render CPR.

"I am grateful for an arrest. Very disappointed that it took four days, honestly," Dias said.

The family wants the charges upgraded to murder. Crump says the state attorney now has a job to do.

"We want him to zealously prosecute the killer of AJ Owens just like he would do if the roles had been reversed and you had (a) Black woman shoot a white woman through a locked metal door," Crump said."

On Friday night, Lorincz again complained about Owens’ kids playing in the grass area near her apartment in Ocala. (The property owner told police that the space was a common area for residents in the complex.) Lorincz took an iPad belonging to the kids, then threw a set of skates at one and swung an umbrella at another when they tried to retrieve it, authorities said.

According to the affidavit, the kids left to get their mother, and Owens allegedly banged on Lorincz’s deadbolted door. Lorincz claimed that Owens yelled, “You don’t talk to my sons, I’m going to kill you!”

However, police said they spoke to neighbors who said they never heard Owens make any threats about killing anyone.

She claimed Owens was trying to break into her apartment “as hard as she could” by beating the door, but she also admitted that Owens never tried the door handle…

Police conducted a second interview with Lorincz on Tuesday after speaking with neighbors and witnesses. Many of them described Lorincz as an antagonist who frequently harassed kids in the area, called them racial slurs, and called in false police reports on them.

“Lorincz admitted to having used the n-word toward children out of anger in the past and also to calling children other derogatory terms,” investigators wrote in the affidavit.

Though Owens and Lorincz allegedly had a rocky relationship, Lorincz conceded to police that Owens never actually made any threats of violence during prior run-ins. However, she maintained Owens threatened to kill her during Friday’s fatal encounter.

"Though Owens and Lorincz allegedly had a rocky relationship, Lorincz conceded to police that Owens never actually made any threats of violence during prior run-ins. However, she maintained Owens threatened to kill her during Friday’s fatal encounter."

SBBM
Ummm, of course she maintains she was threatened. At this point it is her word against the woman she killed! :mad:

This case got a retired FBI Agent's attention.

This is a story I plan to watch very closely. Neighbors who despise each other had an altercation ending in death. One neighbor went to the other's house when she was shot through a closed door, murdered in front of her child. This case truly paints an ugliness that can't be tolerated. #SusanLorincz was arrested on charges of manslaughter with a firearm, culpable negligence, battery & two counts of assault. Hoping for justice for #AjikeOwens! #JusticeForAjike

This case got a retired FBI Agent's attention.

This is a story I plan to watch very closely. Neighbors who despise each other had an altercation ending in death. One neighbor went to the other's house when she was shot through a closed door, murdered in front of her child. This case truly paints an ugliness that can't be tolerated. #SusanLorincz was arrested on charges of manslaughter with a firearm, culpable negligence, battery & two counts of assault. Hoping for justice for #AjikeOwens! #JusticeForAjike

I find it very hard to believe, not to mention scary, that she was in the FBI.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
USE
Back