FL-AMBER ALERT Haleigh Cummings 5 yrs. old - Putnam County #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was it reported somewhere that bio mom has life insurance on haleigh?

We don't know that for certain.

Most of the details we have are based on heresay and speculation.

The life insurance- I'm not sure where that came from.

The story about the Haleigh missing school and father being threatened with jail came from the bio mom. Since it has been addressed here that kids in FL are not required to attend school until they are six, I wonder if maybe mom wanted the kids for an extra day of visitation and dad said this to make mom return them?

It's so hard to be sure of these things- after 10,000 posts here it's easy to forget the source of some info- was it media or was it a maybe posted here that someone read and remembered as fact.

I'd like to see a new thread that deals with FACTS as we have them.

I also want to commend the sleuthers here for uncovering so much family information. It's amazing what we have learned.

Can anyone link to the transcript of Greta's show last night... I couldn't find it through a google search. I want to see the context of the statements that this is not being investigated as an abduction. That contradicts every news article and story done about the case so far.

Misty Croslins Family and possible related family members
Lisa Carman Croslin Age 39 (Misty’s Mother)

Associated family members:
Hank Thomas Coslin age 40
Adam Troy Croslin age 43
Dawn Renee Croslin age 52
June Marie Croslin age 63
Carman George Croslin age 31
Michael Croslin age unknown
Adam Troy Croslin age 43
Clester Leon Croslin age 44

Residences
Parma, MI
Saginaw, MI
Colorado Springs, CO
Madison, TN
Wheeler MI

Hank Thomas Croslin age 40 (Misty’s Father)
Possible relatives
Lisa Carman Croslin age 39
Clester Leon Croslin age 44
Michael Croslin
Debbie K Goldsberry age 37
Adam Troy Croslin age 43
Dawn Renee Croslin age 52
June Marie Croslin age 63

Residences
Wheeler, MI
Flagler Beach, Fl
Madison, TN
Saginaw, MI
Colorado Springs, CO
Merrill, MI
Nasville, TN
Calhan, CO
Simla, CO
Bunnell, FL

Thomas Hank Croslin Jr (Misty's brother)
Timothy Croslin (Misty's Brother)
Chelsea Croslin ( Misty's Sister-in-Law)
Lindsy Collins Croslin ( Misty's Sister-in-Law)

Have not found Lisa's maiden name...

We don't know that for certain.

Most of the details we have are based on heresay and speculation.

The life insurance- I'm not sure where that came from.

The story about the Haleigh missing school and father being threatened with jail came from the bio mom. Since it has been addressed here that kids in FL are not required to attend school until they are six, I wonder if maybe mom wanted the kids for an extra day of visitation and dad said this to make mom return them?

It's so hard to be sure of these things- after 10,000 posts here it's easy to forget the source of some info- was it media or was it a maybe posted here that someone read and remembered as fact.

I'd like to see a new thread that deals with FACTS as we have them.

I also want to commend the sleuthers here for uncovering so much family information. It's amazing what we have learned.

Since, as far as I recall, Bio Mom made the statement "I wanted to take her out of school and Ron said he'd be arrested if she missed anymore school", I thought it very well could have been he just didn't want her to miss another day of school as well.

1.) I do not believe there has been an explanation as to why CPS had been to the home. BUT, I would like to know if there was a proper amount of nutritious food in the house, milk, eggs, and so forth. I also would think that CPS would question why there were mattresses on the floor rather than proper beds for the children. Were there clean clothes for the children? Just a number of things that would need to be looked at if CPS had come for a visit in response to a complaint from anyone. Could Haleigh have been falling asleep at school, come to school with dirty clothes, smelling like urine, etc.? Did she say anything at school to the teacher that would cause the teacher to wonder about Haleighs home life? Very frequent absences? May not have been the teacher at all, but it had to be in response to someone having called in. JMO.

2.) Not heard anything about this rumor at all.

3.) Haleigh's biological Mom, Crystal, had made the allegation that Ronald had been supposed to keeping an eye on Haleigh while she was putting the baby, Ronald Jr., in his carseat. She had come to get the children for a visit. She said that Ronald did not know where Hayleigh was and that she had located Haleigh face down in the canal by his Mother's house. She purportedly said that she had to save Haleigh's life. I do not believe this for one moment. 911, nor police were called. There is no documentation of this incident.
Plus, supposedly, even though Crystal had pulled Haleigh from having been face down in the canal, Haleigh had no health issues from it. No water in her little lungs? No cold afterwards? This is so unreal!

4.) Fact: This whole thing is making me goofy! :crazy:

Goofy for sure!!! LOL! The think I think about CPS is, we know Ron had a CPS case worker because he mentions her in the custody documents, so I guess I'm not surprised one is involved. I also think when the Sheriff (or whoever was talking at a presser) said something to the effect of "CPS has been at the house" or something like that, it was in proximity to a reporter asking about the 17 year old g/f. So the fact that CPS knew about the underage girlfriend and was acquainted with the house AND the kids were left in Ron's care, says to me CPS didn't think the situation was that bad or the kids would have been removed. Esp. since the Bio Mom wanted them back anyway.

Phyllis Bard's husband is the one who owns several properties in the neighborhood, and rents them to SO's, including Kyle J.

Ron may have trouble renting, too, with his record

I think PB's husband is building his own kind of "good old boy's club" in the area.

Thanks for the response moonligting.:banghead::behindbar

I wanted to add something about jail time. I wonder if FL has the same law as TX? (Or it could go by county, I'm not sure).

I don't think that I still have a copy of the letter I get when one of my kids misses school but when I have forgotten (or my kids have forgotten) to submit their excuse for being absent from school, I get a letter.

This letter is a reminder that the there is/are a # of absenses and that so many of these unexcused absences will result in prosecution of me.

I remember the first time I read one (we've been here almost 9 years) it alarmed me so I called the school. They said just submit the excuse. But my kids only missed here and there not a lot of school. With the exception of one child that was out when he was hospitalized for MRSA.

I just thought a poster from FL would know or we could sleuth that out. I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet and I'm too sleepy to sleuth before I post :)

oh and Good Morning!

Yes, I agree, CPS could be called for this issue and sometimes schools and other "reporters" jump the gun on families, but in Florida can you threaten jail time?
CPS does not have that authority where I am from and even the police would not do that. CPS may take parent to court for neglect but even that would not result in jail time. More likely chronic neglect would at the very most lead to removal, then foster placement or placement with relatives. Charges would not be laid for this. Not sure about the laws everywhere???
I was just wondering why he made that statement or if there was more to it.

Parents here can be threatened with jail time if their child continually misses school. CPS doesn't have the authority to actually arrest the parent of a truant and put them in jail, but when CPS calls the police, LE is QUICK to act.

In Hayleigh's case, I'm actually not surprised she missed a lot of school. Her dad works the night shift returning home between three and four AM.......he is presumably snoozing when it's time to get Hayleigh up and off to school. And her caretaker, a seventeen year old, is probably dead to the world in the early morning hours.....at least no 17 year old I've ever known had an easy time rising early. I think the gf/babysitter just slept in alot which resulted in the kiddos sleeping in, too.

I wanted to add something about jail time. I wonder if FL has the same law as TX? (Or it could go by county, I'm not sure).

I don't think that I still have a copy of the letter I get when one of my kids misses school but when I have forgotten (or my kids have forgotten) to submit their excuse for being absent from school, I get a letter.

This letter is a reminder that the there is/are a # of absenses and that so many of these unexcused absences will result in prosecution of me.

I remember the first time I read one (we've been here almost 9 years) it alarmed me so I called the school. They said just submit the excuse. But my kids only missed here and there not a lot of school. With the exception of one child that was out when he was hospitalized for MRSA.

I just thought a poster from FL would know or we could sleuth that out. I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet and I'm too sleepy to sleuth before I post :)

oh and Good Morning!

My HS Junior has been in Florida schools all his life but in his 11 years of school he has only missed five days- so I don't know about attendance.

Parents here can be threatened with jail time if their child continually misses school. CPS doesn't have the authority to actually arrest the parent of a truant and put them in jail, but when CPS calls the police, LE is QUICK to act.

In Hayleigh's case, I'm actually not surprised she missed a lot of school. Her dad works the night shift returning home between three and four AM.......he is presumably snoozing when it's time to get Hayleigh up and off to school. And her caretaker, a seventeen year old, is probably dead to the world in the early morning hours.....at least no 17 year old I've ever known had an easy time rising early. I think the gf/babysitter just slept in alot which resulted in the kiddos sleeping in, too.

I am in PA and only have a half day Kindergartener so I am not sure how all of that works yet :) But in Maryland where I have Teenage siblings even if they are Late so many days(not sure how many) they equal one whole day. Even with a note, they only will accept car trouble, slept late, power outage so many times before they start calling BS. So if Haleigh was all day kindergarten maybe she was late and missed some days too. But so many days of being late added up to whole day absences. Wow I dont drink coffee so I think I need a bowl of wheaties :)

Mornin' all - up early and no news.

I decided to try to legally "clear up" the school attendance issue with Haleigh by examining the local School Board policies and the State DOE policies.

Here is was I found. I will also post this in the media thread.

Putname County School Board Policy:

CHAPTER 5.00 – STUDENT SERVICES
Chapter 5 – Page #5
STUDENT ATTENDANCE 5.04
I. Regular school attendance is required between the ages of six (6) and sixteen (16) with certain exceptions outlined under Florida Statutes, Chapter 232.06. Principals in each school center shall determine the daily attendance of that center through an official attendance check taken during the first hour that the school center is in session. Classroom absenteeism shall be reported within the school on PCDSB Form E-10.

Attendance of all students for at least one hundred eighty (180) days is required except for absences due to illness or otherwise as provided by the law.

B. If a student has had at least five (5) unexcused absences, or absences for which the reasons are unknown, within a calendar month or ten (10) unexcused absences, or absences for which the reasons are unknown, within a ninety (90) calendar-day period, the student's primary teacher shall report to the school principal or his or her designee that the student may be exhibiting a pattern of non-attendance. The principal shall, unless there is clear evidence that the absences are not a pattern of non-attendance, refer the case to the school's child study team to determine if early patterns of truancy are developing. If the child study team finds that a pattern of non-attendance is developing, whether the absences are excused or not, a meeting with the parent must be scheduled to identify potential remedies.

F. If a child subject to compulsory school attendance will not comply with attempts to enforce school attendance, the parent, the guardian, or the Superintendent or his or her designee shall refer the case to the case staffing committee pursuant to S.984.12 and the Superintendent or his or her designee may file a truancy petition pursuant to the procedures in S.984.151.

Florida DOE State Policy

232.01 School attendance.--

(1)(a)1. All children who have attained the age of 6 years or who will have attained the age of 6 years by February 1 of any school year or who are older than 6 years of age but who have not attained the age of 16 years, except as hereinafter provided, are required to attend school regularly during the entire school term.

2. Children who will have attained the age of 5 years on or before September 1 of the school year are eligible for admission to public kindergartens during that school year under rules prescribed by the school board.

Statute 228.041
(28) HABITUAL TRUANT.--A habitual truant is a student who has 15 unexcused absences within 90 calendar days with or without the knowledge or consent of the student's parent or legal guardian, is subject to compulsory school attendance under s. 232.01, and is not exempt under s. 232.06 or s. 232.09, or by meeting the criteria for any other exemption specified by law or rules of the State Board of Education. Such a student must have been the subject of the activities specified in ss. 232.17 and 232.19(3), without resultant successful remediation of the truancy problem before being dealt with as a child in need of services according to the provisions of chapter 984.

Statute 232.06

232.06">232.06 Certificates of exemptions authorized in certain cases.--Children within the compulsory attendance age limits who hold valid certificates of exemption which have been issued by the superintendent shall be exempt from attending school. A certificate of exemption shall cease to be valid at the end of the school year in which it is issued.

Statute 232.17

232.17">232.17 Enforcement of school attendance.--The Legislature finds that poor academic performance is associated with nonattendance and that schools must take an active role in enforcing attendance as a means of improving the performance of many students. It is the policy of the state that the superintendent of each school district be responsible for enforcing school attendance of all children and youth subject to the compulsory school age in the school district. The responsibility includes recommending to the school board policies and procedures to ensure that schools respond in a timely manner to every unexcused absence, or absence for which the reason is unknown, of students enrolled in the schools. School board policies must require each parent or guardian of a student to justify each absence of the student, and that justification will be evaluated based on adopted school board policies that define excused and unexcused absences. The policies must provide that schools track excused and unexcused absences and contact the home in the case of an unexcused absence from school, or an absence from school for which the reason is unknown, to prevent the development of patterns of nonattendance. The Legislature finds that early intervention in school attendance matters is the most effective way of producing good attendance habits that will lead to improved student learning and achievement. Each public school shall implement the following steps to enforce regular school attendance

(2) NONENROLLMENT AND NONATTENDANCE CASES.--

(a) In each case of nonenrollment or of nonattendance upon the part of a child who is required to attend some school, when no valid reason for such nonenrollment or nonattendance is found, the superintendent shall institute a criminal prosecution against the child's parent.
232.19(3)

(3) HABITUAL TRUANCY CASES.--The superintendent is authorized to file a truancy petition, as defined in s. 984.03, following the procedures outlined in s. 984.151. If the superintendent chooses not to file a truancy petition, procedures for filing a child-in-need-of-services petition shall be commenced pursuant to this subsection and chapter 984. In accordance with procedures established by the district school board, the designated school representative shall refer a student who is habitually truant and the student's family to the children-in-need-of-services and families-in-need-of-services provider or the case staffing committee, established pursuant to s. 984.12, as determined by the cooperative agreement required in this section. The case staffing committee may request the Department of Juvenile Justice or its designee to file a child-in-need-of-services petition based upon the report and efforts of the school district or other community agency or may seek to resolve the truant behavior through the school or community-based organizations or agencies. Prior to and subsequent to the filing of a child-in-need-of-services petition due to habitual truancy, the appropriate governmental agencies must allow a reasonable time to complete actions required by this section and s. 232.17 to remedy the conditions leading to the truant behavior. Prior to the filing of a petition, the school district must have complied with the requirements of s. 232.17, and those efforts must have been unsuccessful

State Statute 982.12
984.12">984.12 Case staffing; services and treatment to a family in need of services.--

(1) The appropriate representative of the department shall request a meeting of the family and child with a case staffing committee to review the case of any family or child who the department determines is in need of services or treatment if:

(a) The family or child is not in agreement with the services or treatment offered;

(b) The family or child will not participate in the services or treatment selected; or

(c) The representative of the department needs assistance in developing an appropriate plan for services. The time and place selected for the meeting shall be convenient for the child and family.

Ok - what all that legal carp above actually says:

Local (Putnam County) says any child enrolled in public school is required to adhere to policy. Once a child is absent 5 times in one month or 10 times in 90 days, the child will be referred to "Child Study Team" within the school.

There are several State Statutes that are mentioned (I included them for reference) - they are:

232.01 - This one will clear up the AGE issue. It says a child is eligible at FIVE (5) years of age. Child may enroll BUT is required to abide by policies of all. So, once RC enrolled Haleigh in kindergarten of public school - he will be held to all attendance policies.

232.06 - This is an "exception" policy. Usually deals with severely handicapped children - NOT Haleigh. Although RC could have tried to do this - it requires ALOT of paperwork and ALOT of testing and all it does is "exempt her" for absences that relate to disability.

232.17 - General basic interpretation of responsibility for attendance, and enforcement by local boards and individual schools.

232.19 - This is the biggie! This is the one that says "yes, RC could be charged criminally for Haleigh's poor attendance.

984.12 - This starts to go into the "procedures" steps, protocol, however you want to call it - on how to get a parent/student to resolve attendance problems.

So, you can see -yes RC was required by law to followed attendance policy by simply registering Haleigh at a public school. Yes, he could be legally charged with a crime - BUT - it takes ALOT of teams, committees, meetings, and staffings and even MORE documentation before the actual charge comes down. Normally schools will try a "get tough" approach with a parent to "wake them up" and most times, this works. I think that is the stage that RC was in in reference to Haleigh's attendance. He had been "talked" to - it got his dandur up and he just relayed that to Crystal over the phone.

I know this is a very very long post. Sorry - but now we have the actual statutes and local policy to refer to. As I said I will also post this in the media thread so we have easy reference to it.

TY Swag1959! I'm still sippin' coffee over here:) Good sleuthin' my friend.

I think that about clears that up:D

My daughter missed more than 15 days last year before she was finally diagnosed and treated for her condition. The school sent us a letter stating that after 15 days the state is notified (sorry I can't recall the agency atm) and that we could face jail time. I was shocked! I called the school and asked if I could get the days removed from her attendance record by providing a note from the doctor for the days she was treated and they said that would work. However, if she missed 15 days not covered by a doctors note it was mandatory for them to report it and that letter went out automatically. They told me to basically ignore it so I don't know how seriuously the state takes it or at what point one would begin to face real legal trouble. But maybe Ron got one of these letters in the mail from the school.

Maybe the reason LE is being so tight lipped....is that all they have points to one of the family members, (I think Misty) And they don't want to put that out as they are trying to "stay on their good-side" in hopes of getting more info before they lawyer up....It's been making me nutz that we have no more info than we do and this is the only thing that makes sense to me.

OT....Mornin' everyone!

Maybe the reason LE is being so tight lipped....is that all they have points to one of the family members, (I think Misty) And they don't want to put that out as they are trying to "stay on their good-side" in hopes of getting more info before they lawyer up....It's been making me nutz that we have no more info than we do and this is the only thing that makes sense to me.

OT....Mornin' everyone!

Mornin' tehcloser. I'm still wondering about Misty too. The LE being tight lipped is driving me nuts too. I hope that the media coverage doesn't come to a screeching halt like it did with Adji after the ground search was halted for him. :/

OT....Mornin' everyone!

Good Morning!
I think this is what is going on too. The things they refuse to answer are the things that would help the general public in moving forward to find her, or not. I guess they can't credit one member of the family for telling the truth, without the other because of the fear of obtaining a lawyer.
I hope that something breaks soon though. Maybe with them moving the command center, they will start giving out bits and pieces of information.
Least...I hope so..

Good Morning!
I think this is what is going on too. The things they refuse to answer are the things that would help the general public in moving forward to find her, or not. I guess they can't credit one member of the family for telling the truth, without the other because of the fear of obtaining a lawyer.
I hope that something breaks soon though. Maybe with them moving the command center, they will start giving out bits and pieces of information.
Least...I hope so..

Yeah, I mean if they wanted the gen. public's help they would tell us something. So I take it as they don't. And what was the remark about "We are keeping it as a missing child case cause we get more bang for the buck". Now what else could he have meant except...we don't think it is, but hey we get more with that. More resources, more corporation etc. I can't remember which LE said it....

maybe haleigh wasn't required to attend school this year because of her age, but once she was signed up and going, then the attendence rules would apply to her?

or maybe someone did threaten ron with jail time, even if they couldn't actually enforce it? but ron wouldn't know that......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove