GUILTY FL - Astronaut Lisa Nowak arrested in kidnap attempt, 5 Feb 2007

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IdahoMom said:
I can see it being called battery.

Someone close to me walked in on her longtime boyfriend with another woman recently. She proceeded to tell him off, warn the woman about him, then grabbed a bottle of KY liquid sitting there and squirted both of them with it (:waitasec: :blushing: ). The police came and informed her she could be charged with battery for doing that. :silenced:No one was hurt, by the way. I always thought battery was something a little different I guess. :confused:
If she was so against what was going on, why was she trying to help the process along? :p

"HOUSTON -- Astronaut William Oefelein has taken a leave from NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston to join girlfriend Colleen Shipman in Florida after the attack on her, allegedly by astronaut Lisa Nowak, a space agency official said Thursday.

Oefelein reportedly asked for the time off Monday after Shipman, an Air Force captain stationed at Cape Canaveral, told him about the early-morning confrontation with Nowak at Orlando International Airport.

Oefelein quickly reported the incident to chief astronaut Steve Lindsey, alerting NASA about the events that have led to charges of attempted murder against Nowak, NASA official Ellen Ochoa said Thursday."

Link: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...,1,1527956.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

Oh boy. Wonder how our girl will react when she hears that her man is running to be with his girlfriend. Oh, to be a fly on zee wall.

curious1 said:
Oh boy. Wonder how our girl will react when she hears that her man is running to be with his girlfriend. Oh, to be a fly on zee wall.
There are quite a few walls I'd like to be a fly on these days!! :p

SewingDeb said:
I do see it as attempted murder (why bring all the weapons and go to such lengths to get to her and why the disguise, etc.?) but you are probably right that this case will be plead down from attempted murder to lesser charges.
I see it the same way. The intent seems to be to disable Shipman and use her car to drive to the motel (where Nowak's car was) and the mallet/knife/tubing in Nowak's possession would sure indicate more than just "scaring her". However I do agree that she won't be convicted of attempted murder by a jury.

LinasK said:
reb, in answer to an earlier post, she used diapers because she as an astronaut she was used to wearing them. They have to wear them upon launch and re-entry.
She only went to space once so I wouldn't call wearing them once being used to it. Still weird.

snoopy said:
Hey guys, I haven't posted in awhile due to a computer meltdown, and then we moved, then there were the holidays, etc., etc.
Okay, enough of my excuses! I just wanted to explain in case anybody missed me! :p

So, is this a Clear Lake woman thing? First, there was Andrea Yates, then Clara Harris, and now Lisa Nowak. Good thing I moved from there! :eek:

I do know someone who knows her and was told she is very OCD, which could be a good thing when it comes to a space program, but apparently she was a little over the top. I was told when there was to be a meeting with her present, there'd be lots of rolling eyes and such. Anyway, I don't want to get into too much of what was said as that's heresay and one person's opinion, but I did find the OCD part of particular interest to this case.

No offense but OCD is an Anxiety disorder and doesn't cause people to want to attack others.

This website can help you to understand what OCD is and what OCD isn't!
http://www.webmd.com/hw/anxiety_panic_disorders/ty3382.asp

"What is obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)?
Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a potentially disabling anxiety disorder. A person who has OCD has intrusive and unwanted thoughts and repeatedly performs tasks to get rid of the thoughts. For example, if you have OCD, you may fear that everything you touch is contaminated with germs, and in order to ease that fear, you repeatedly wash your hands.

The effects of OCD range from mild to severe. OCD can disrupt your social life and relationships as well as your ability to work or go to school.1

What are the symptoms?
OCD is a chronic or long-term illness, and the symptoms typically increase and decrease over time. Treatment can lessen the severity, but some symptoms may linger after you begin treatment. Anxiety is the most common symptom of OCD. For example, you may have an overall sense that something terrible will happen if you don't follow through with a particular ritual, such as repeatedly checking to see whether the stove is on. If you fail to perform the ritual, you may have immediate anxiety or a nagging sense of incompleteness." ...

More @ link

This is a good column by Former Prosecutor, Lisa Pinto
-----

Lisa Nowak may be fodder for late night comedians but she doesn’t deserve a life sentence.

Steel mallet, hunting knife and garbage bags aside, Nowak’s attempt to murder her love rival Colleen Shipman was irrationally concocted and comedicly executed, leaving her victim with only a headache and some temporary eye damage.

The minimal bail set evidences the arraignment judge’s skepticism of attempted first-degree murder charges. Felony assault and the stalking beforehand are viable charged, but it’s quite a stretch to murder here.

For the rest of the column GO HERE: http://politicalmavens.com/index.php/2007/02/07/murder-aint-rocket-science/

this is exactly what irritates the bejeezus out of me. nowadays everyone uses 'OCD', 'personality disorder', 'ADD', 'bipolar', etc.. as an excuse for ALL kinds of irresponsible, bitchy, bratty, immature, and downright psycho behavior. it gives the disorders, and people who TRULY have these disorders (if you believe they ARE real- which is always a subject of debate), a bad name.. and it is a lame attempt to excuse ones' self from idiotic behavior.
and many psychiatrists are just as guilty for brainwashing people into thinking they have these disorders, instead of telling them-- just GROW UP already and quit acting like a jerk! why? because it's within the best interest of their wallets, since so many are in bed with the pharm companies. and now, lawyers are in on it too.. hhmm... i wonder if lawyers are also getting paid off to promote the drugs?
so meanwhile, everyone & their kid is convinced they have some kind of biological chemical disorder (yeah, of course you do-- it's called life!) that causes them to behave or feel a certain way... and they don't have the power to take a look at it and correct the situation- they just have to pop a pill. but then they keep acting crazy, and say "oh i can't help it i'm bipolar." (well, DUH- obviously your meds ain't workin' then, are they?!)

but of course i said this in so many words before, and some folks got all offended-- go figure. why?, i still don't know!

Smurf said:
She only went to space once so I wouldn't call wearing them once being used to it. Still weird.
Your are forgetting during training they also use them.

Levi said:
This is a good column by Former Prosecutor, Lisa Pinto
-----

Lisa Nowak may be fodder for late night comedians but she doesn’t deserve a life sentence.

Steel mallet, hunting knife and garbage bags aside, Nowak’s attempt to murder her love rival Colleen Shipman was irrationally concocted and comedicly executed, leaving her victim with only a headache and some temporary eye damage.

The minimal bail set evidences the arraignment judge’s skepticism of attempted first-degree murder charges. Felony assault and the stalking beforehand are viable charged, but it’s quite a stretch to murder here.

For the rest of the column GO HERE: http://politicalmavens.com/index.php/2007/02/07/murder-aint-rocket-science/
and---with the above mentioned items, had her intended victim l let her in the car---- this column, would not have been written---

reb said:
this is exactly what irritates the bejeezus out of me. nowadays everyone uses 'OCD', 'personality disorder', 'ADD', 'bipolar', etc.. as an excuse for ALL kinds of irresponsible, bitchy, bratty, immature, and downright psycho behavior. it gives the disorders, and people who TRULY have these disorders (if you believe they ARE real- which is always a subject of debate), a bad name.. and it is a lame attempt to excuse ones' self from idiotic behavior.
and many psychiatrists are just as guilty for brainwashing people into thinking they have these disorders, instead of telling them-- just GROW UP already and quit acting like a jerk! why? because it's within the best interest of their wallets, since so many are in bed with the pharm companies. and now, lawyers are in on it too.. hhmm... i wonder if lawyers are also getting paid off to promote the drugs?
so meanwhile, everyone & their kid is convinced they have some kind of biological chemical disorder (yeah, of course you do-- it's called life!) that causes them to behave or feel a certain way... and they don't have the power to take a look at it and correct the situation- they just have to pop a pill. but then they keep acting crazy, and say "oh i can't help it i'm bipolar." (well, DUH- obviously your meds ain't workin' then, are they?!)

but of course i said this in so many words before, and some folks got all offended-- go figure. why?, i still don't know!

okok-

Listen, I agree with you 100% about more and more people using mental illness as an excuse for bad behavior but I disagree with what you said about everyone that is mentally ill is doing this!

I have Bipolar disorder, OCD and panic/anxiety disorder as well as Tourettes syndrome and I am usually the *first* person here at WS to about these people using mental illness as an excuse for acting out, killing others, etc. The stigma still attached to mental illness is *because* of just these types of people!

However, reb, as far as "life" being the only thing that is wrong with me and implying that I just "pop a pill" rather than finding power from within to change my medical condition, I have to say that it seems to me that you have no clue what you are talking about! I have worked harder than any person I know- to change and grow and admit some pretty things about myself and my past behavior and make sure I never go there again!

I have done plenty to change my circumstances but without the "pills" I could not have found the power within myself! The pills enabled me to see for the first time that my getting well and staying well depends on me and only me! The pills opened my eyes, let me see inside of myself and then *I* changed. I work my *advertiser censored* off every day of my life to stay well and will continue to do so until the day I die!

I have Bipolar disorder but Bipolar disorder does not define who I am! I do not let it control me OR my actions or reactions. If I took Insulin for Diabetes but still ate sugar, the medicine would really do me no good, would it? But on the other hand, if I ate no sugar but didn't take the Insulin, I'd still remain ill! In order to keep your health under your control, you MUST do both things, take your medicine and change how you live!

No one has brainwashed me into thinking anything about myself, I am not a jerk and I am grown up. I am a loving, giving, caring, strong, honest, self fulfilled woman. I am in control of my own life, my own thoughts, my own mind, my own behavior and I face the consequences to every one of my actions .. I have never hurt anyone or anything and never will! I am a good mother, wife, daughter, sister and friend.

Although I obviously couldn't get rid of the child I had already given birth to before being diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, When I was diagnosed I had my tubes tied because any biological child of mine has a 60% chance of ending up with Bipolar as well. That's the last thing I would want to do to my own child!

Most of us that have a legit mental illness are quite pissed off about the new fad of blaming a mental illness for the bad choices one makes in ones life... it's because of people like them that people like you doubt mental illness is real!

pills.gif
actions.jpg

POLAR.jpg

proof.jpg

Smurf said:
It doesn't bother me too much either but I am starting to see a pattern of people around her making excuses because she was in a high-profile job and a mother and wife. She doesn't need excuses made for her. Somewhere in her mind and heart she had to know that she was breaking the law. She just thought she wouldn't get caught.

Remember Candace Montgomery and Betty Gore here in Texas years ago. She hacked that woman to peices with that ax and didn't serve any time. Her lawyers conviced the jury that she flipped out due to a repressed memory of child-hood brought out by the 'shhhhh' sound that the victim was making. Who remebers reading that book Evidence of Love? The love triangle aspect in this case is what made me think of it.
--I remember that true crime book very well--Stunning--an absolute must read for true crime buffs

reb said:
<stalked 900 miles by a diaper wearing , pistol packin , freaked out space woman>

LOL! that cracks me up!

obviously dalilah totally missed what i was trying to say, and took it as an opportunity to turn the attention around to herself for whatever reason.[/QUOTE--I agree with you Reb

I certainly agree with other posters that say that the AM charges will be reduced--After all, we are talking about a white woman astronaut here, an astronaut is seen as someone who is brave, courageous, and intelligent--true heroes--but I hope this case does not get pled down to just a stay in a mental hospital--She still needs to do at least some time in a regular prison---The BB gun she had looked pretty similar to a real revolver, and the 4 inch knife is another concealed weapon--and the fact that she drove 950 miles to assault this woman shows a singleminded intent and purpose to harm her at least somewhat--That's a long drive,she could have changed her mind at any time during that 15 hour trip, but she didn't, and I think that fact alone will reasonate with a judge or jury

The only way I'd be happy if it gets pled down is if there is irrefutable proof of brain tumors or something as serious. (I don't mean *just* mental illness, I mean tumors, alzheimers, syphilis craze etc.) I've seen firsthand how a person's whole personality and way of interacting with the world changes with sudden onset brain tumors. My husband's relative died of them. (metatisized cancer) These tumors come out of nowhere too...

ETA: Rita Hayworth was stricken with alzheimer's at a very young age, so it's possible here.

buzz and curious---- you are both bad,, SOOOOO bad!

OK.. for everyone who is all up in arms about my comments about mental illness, before i hijack this thread any more, i'm gonna take it outside to the parking lot. so anyone who feels like continuing that thread, i'm over there.

Eh, Peter, I feel like you're pandering here! If she had been black, I feel like they would have cut her MORE slack.

KatK said:

ETA: Rita Hayworth was stricken with alzheimer's at a very young age, so it's possible here.
--KatK--yo are right about rita hayworth getting Alzheimers at a relatively young age but she was also an alcoholic and some see a link between the two--but I'm with you, I don't want to see this pled down to a lesser charge either--but it will be

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
euvin3582
Back