FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I was surprised to see this trending on FB, I guess I'd always assumed the boat capsized or sank. But with Austin's iphone still aboard then my previous assumption must be wrong?

I was surprised to see this trending on FB, I guess I'd always assumed the boat capsized or sank. But with Austin's iphone still aboard then my previous assumption must be wrong?
I was thinking the same thing. Many of us assumed that it had filled with water or tipped. I'd love to know where the phone was found. I can't imagine after rough seas or any waves that it may be on a seat. Although, Austin may never have placed it on a seat to begin with. I wonder if he took it out of his pocket to get into the water to help his buddy... Hopefully authorities will find something that provides answers.

This article states that the boat was capsized. Obviously not since the Iphone and tackle were still in it. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/exclusive-missing-florida-teens-boat-found-off-ber/nq9wh/

“On March 18, 2016, Multi Purpose Supply Vessel Edda Fjord, while enroute to Norway, discovered a capsized small craft approximately 100 miles off the coast of Bermuda."

It's possible t the Iphone was in a closed compartment on the boat. Thus even if the boat capsized the Iphone could still be with the boat.

Wow... at least SOME news.
Hoping for answers for the families !

Wow they found the boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's possible t the Iphone was in a closed compartment on the boat. Thus even if the boat capsized the Iphone could still be with the boat.
That's what DH said also. I didn't even think of that.

One of the first things we do when we venture offshore is secure our phones and valuables in a closed compartment. I don't find it unusual at all to discover the phone on a capsized boat.

I thought they should have secured and searched the boat when they found it the first time.

I recall that when the boat was found the first time, there was video of it capsized on tv. i don't think anything nefarious happened other than an unfortunate mix of water, weather, and two young teenagers.

Sad that the families appear to be at odds. Austin's family does seem to be trying to get the information with the help of Apple and states in the article that of course they will share any info with Perry's family. Seems like each family thinks their way is the right way. I'd honestly be shocked if they were able to get any info from the phone after 8 months in saltwater.

Sad for both families. I can't imagine how much they miss the boys and no closure having the bodies returned. That would truly be a nightmare not to know what happened to your child. [emoji853]

It's so sad how these families are being torn apart by grief of their missing sons.

Given that LE returned the phone to Austin's family and said that they weren't going to investigate further since there was no open criminal matter, I don't think it's surprising/strange that Austin's family is trying to get the information themselves rather than waiting for/relying on LE who has indicated that they don't want the phone. I don't think Austin's family has implied that if LE did want the phone/would agree to use their best efforts to get the information off it, that they wouldn't cooperate. Also, since I personally think it's clear there wasn't any criminal activity here, there's no chain of custody issue or any other reason why it matters who retrieves the data. I totally understand that Perry's family may be frustrated with LE and, perhaps, with Austin's family for not pushing the issue with them, but I actually think they're more likely to get the information they actually want if Austin's family proceeds as they are.

On my msn home page this morning there was a news article saying the families Are seeking an injunction blocking the release of the cell info.
It was on my msn home news page when I click on it its says no long available.

Why wouldn't they want this info released?
Whats going on here in this case?

On my msn home page this morning there was a news article saying the families Are seeking an injunction blocking the release of the cell info to the other boys family

Why wouldn't they want this info released?
Whats going on here in this case?

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The family of Perry Cohen, one of two Florida teens who went missing at sea last July, on Monday asked a court to issue a preliminary injunction barring state investigators from turning over a cellphone recovered at sea to the parents of the other missing boy, Austin Stephanos

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...lease-of-cellphone/ar-BBsg103?ocid=spartanntp

sorry peeps I see this is old news since this site has been renewed with its new look I have no delete option nor thanks bar on the bottom its very frustrating!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BecStar
Back