FL FL - Austin Stephanos & Perry Cohen, both 14, Jupiter, 24 July 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Perhaps you did not read what I post & the link- they did find an iPhone with a waterproof case.
I am simply questioning if this phone they found in the search has any connection to the missing boys

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BeachSky

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-storie...00.shtml?wap=0
Two life vests, a white throw cushion and an iPhone with a waterproof case were found off the coast of Georgia.Investigators are trying to determine if the items are linked to Austin and Perry.

what about the phone?

I would hope that they would be sending a picture of the phone to the parents to see if either boy had on like that.

Is the phone they found the same model, color and GB as one of the boy's phone? I'd be surprised if they had a case on it based on the lack of other safety gear but maybe they were more concerned about their phone and put it in a case. Most waterproof cases are only waterproof for a short while. They have a membrane over the speaker and mic. I doubt they would last long in the ocean tossing around. If the phone had a floater on it I can see it drifting on the surface, even waterlogged. I don't know what kind of phone they had but I'm assuming it's a iPhone from the discussion. Did the parents try Find My Phone early on? Could they even log on to their account? Can Apple do that in an emergency? Did the police try seeing if there was a signal at the beginning?

I really doubt that phone belonged to one of the boys. I also highly doubt a dog can determine a scent from a life jacket that's been in the ocean a week, plus they might never had worn the jacket, ever.

Is the phone they found the same model, color and GB as one of the boy's phone? I'd be surprised if they had a case on it based on the lack of other safety gear but maybe they were more concerned about their phone and put it in a case. Most waterproof cases are only waterproof for a short while. They have a membrane over the speaker and mic. I doubt they would last long in the ocean tossing around. If the phone had a floater on it I can see it drifting on the surface, even waterlogged. I don't know what kind of phone they had but I'm assuming it's a iPhone from the discussion. Did the parents try Find My Phone early on? Could they even log on to their account? Can Apple do that in an emergency? Did the police try seeing if there was a signal at the beginning?

I really doubt that phone belonged to one of the boys. I also highly doubt a dog can determine a scent from a life jacket that's been in the ocean a week, plus they might never had worn the jacket, ever.

Hi Koa.
Last night someone brought it to my attention that an
"iPhone in waterproof case "
was on the (find A & P Facebook) to look for list.
It was listed in between the white fishing boots and white Gram Slam tee shirt.
Whether they were using it at the time is the question.
And if ever found, what shape would it be in as you say.

If someone had info on the boys, it needed to go to LE, not FB.

It's the responsibility of every member to read and familiarize themselves with the Rules and TOS (Linked here).

Etiquette and Information (Linked here)

Social Media/Social Networking Links, e.g., Facebook and Twitter

Approved Pages/Profiles

Individuals

Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
Paraphrasing is okay.
Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.
Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
Paraphrasing is okay.
***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.
Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them. Any exception must first be approved by an administrator or a moderator.

Every post referencing FB has been removed.

Two groups pursuing leads are reviewing images taken from cameras near Jupiter Inlet. They declined to say what the images show, but said additional information was expected to be released by family members and a search-and-rescue group next week.

In response to the images, searches were conducted near Jupiter about a week and a half ago.

To further assist, searchers are trying to obtain a remote-operated vehicle that could search 25 feet to 165 feet deep in the water.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/palm-beach/fl-missing-teens-possible-link-20150915-story.html

A little more in this article:
http://m.wpbf.com/news/new-information-in-search-for-missing-teen-boaters/35274406

Bowie would not be specific, he said they found enough to make them believe they’re in the right area.Another search is planned in the near future as they hope to soon provide the boys’ families with a resolution.“I think now we have an indication of where and when,” Bowie said. “We don’t know what happened to them particularly"

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...ida-teens-family-wants-boys-images-sep/nn4c2/
The parents of Perry Cohen, one of the two teenage boys missing at sea, released a statement Friday saying they have communicated by letter with Austin Stephanos’ family to “make sure we are fully in control of (Perry’s) name, likeness and the charitable work that may come from his personal tragedy.”Friday’s statement comes a day after a post on the AustinBlu foundation Facebook page requested a stop to combining the images of the two boys “in any written or electronic format.”

http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...ida-teens-family-wants-boys-images-sep/nn4c2/
The parents of Perry Cohen, one of the two teenage boys missing at sea, released a statement Friday saying they have communicated by letter with Austin Stephanos’ family to “make sure we are fully in control of (Perry’s) name, likeness and the charitable work that may come from his personal tragedy.”Friday’s statement comes a day after a post on the AustinBlu foundation Facebook page requested a stop to combining the images of the two boys “in any written or electronic format.”

The full Cohen family public statement:

“On the advice of legal counsel, we privately communicated our concerns and wishes to Austin’s family, expressing a genuine concern about Perry’s name, how it is affiliated, and our desire to make sure we are fully in control of his name, likeness and the charitable work that may come from his personal tragedy. The letter was not intended to create a hostile or divisive relationship with Austin’s family, but rather, to comply with Florida and federal laws regarding charitable and fundraising activities, and to protect and preserve the memory of our beloved son, Perry Cohen. The letter was a private communication; this matter remains a private one.

We are not trying to discourage the public from supporting Austin or Perry, or the positive efforts that can benefit others through increased awareness of boater safety — a positive from their misfortune. We are humbled by the community and national support beyond words. We so appreciate the overwhelming response and your continued trust, faith and confidence.”

Mmh. I don't know what to make of that. Anybody? :waitasec:

Mmh. I don't know what to make of that. Anybody? :waitasec:

Who's boat were the boys on, Cohen's or Stephanos'? I could go back and look but I am lazy. I wonder if there will be a lawsuit...just me wondering (my thoughts and opinions only).

The full Cohen family public statement:

“On the advice of legal counsel, we privately communicated our concerns and wishes to Austin’s family, expressing a genuine concern about Perry’s name, how it is affiliated, and our desire to make sure we are fully in control of his name, likeness and the charitable work that may come from his personal tragedy. The letter was not intended to create a hostile or divisive relationship with Austin’s family, but rather, to comply with Florida and federal laws regarding charitable and fundraising activities, and to protect and preserve the memory of our beloved son, Perry Cohen. The letter was a private communication; this matter remains a private one.

We are not trying to discourage the public from supporting Austin or Perry, or the positive efforts that can benefit others through increased awareness of boater safety — a positive from their misfortune. We are humbled by the community and national support beyond words. We so appreciate the overwhelming response and your continued trust, faith and confidence.”

bbm

Looking at the statement once more it seems to me the Cohen family perhaps wants to distance themselves from the fundraising activities?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/missing-florida-teens-fishing-austin-perry-boat-disappears/

According to this article, it was Austin's boat. A lot of reports say "their boat," though.

IMOO, this move wasn't too surprising as it seems like the Cohen family has been much more private/less active on SM about everything from the get-go. I haven't been following anything since the main FB group closed, though.

I also think some people are put off by the idea of connecting money and/or profit to the loss of someone they love, even if the proceeds may be for a good cause. In order to form a financial alliance both families would need to be on the same page. jmoo

A little more in this article:
http://m.wpbf.com/news/new-information-in-search-for-missing-teen-boaters/35274406

Bowie would not be specific, he said they found enough to make them believe they’re in the right area.Another search is planned in the near future as they hope to soon provide the boys’ families with a resolution.“I think now we have an indication of where and when,” Bowie said. “We don’t know what happened to them particularly"

Was wondering have there been anymore updates...?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back