GUILTY FL - Baby Girl Found Floating Near Boynton Beach, June 2018 - Baby June

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hmmm, Jupiter is only 33 minutes away via the highway. Hmmmm.
There’s 3 main college campuses in the area too. Not including the small branches of them scattered around. Did a college tour with my oldest to all 4 campuses in 2010. All good schools with diverse populations. If the military is a factor look at HWHC (part of FAU). If poverty is a factor, look at FIU. If wealth and social standing is a factor, look at UOM. All my opinion of course.

Jupiter - Harriet Wilkes Honors College caters to the brainiacs. Costs ~ 20k/year with 450 students/year.

Boca Raton - Florida Atlantic University ~ $20k/year with 30,000 students

Miami - University of Miami - private > $50k/year with 40,000 students

South Miami - Florida International University - public ~ $12k/year with 55,000 students

Initial genetic testing shows the baby is about 50% Central Asian and 50% African."

Background - 25+ years ago we attended an adoption class taught by Dawn Coppock, an adoption attorney in Knoxville, TN. She dispelled a lot of adoption myths, presented a ton of facts about cultures, brought in Adoption Agency reps, etc. Important information when considering international adoption and domestically.

I realize cultures have evolved and these old truths may not be of relevance as much to current culture. But this crime was 1995 and our class was in 1996. I am in no way excusing a homicide’s motive or judging the mother. You can take what you will from this information.

Facts we learned in 1996 that pertain to this case:
-A woman of central Asian culture brings great shame to her family by getting pregnant out of wedlock. It is worthy of an Honor Killing. She is literally in fear for her life.
-A woman of central Asian culture will not admit the baby has African American roots. When going thru adoption, she will insist the baby is Asian. Denial is strong.
-A woman of central Asian culture is more likely to admit to carrying a mixed race child, if the child is part Caucasian or of another Asian culture (such as Japanese Mom, Chinese Dad).
-A woman of central Asian culture may not admit to carrying a mixed race baby if the child is part Hispanic (Mexican, Cuban) if the fathers skin is darker rather than lighter.
An African American father is less likely to willingly sign away parental rights due to their pride and culture. If parental rights have been terminated, then this isn’t an issue.

Thank you! That is very helpful. If a random person uploads their DNA to one of the genealogist sites and opts in for LE review, then LE uses the same site, maybe they will get a hit? Like the cold cases they’re solving. This baby needs her family and they need her, even if they don't realize it. It is mind blowing that she is unidentified a year later.

The fact that they haven’t yet, leads me to suspect:
-this birth was hidden quite well, possibly to a teenager
-possibly born in poverty, if no one in the family has disposable income to do a DNA test
-birth to a boat person attempting to migrate, its possible mother may not have survived either

It's not that simple. In most cases LE simply can't use the commercial databases. The information isn't in a compatible format and even if it was, they aren't allowed to.

Since the baby was apparently born in a hospital, it's unlikely the mother was a boat person or a hidden birth.

It's not that simple. In most cases LE simply can't use the commercial databases. The information isn't in a compatible format and even if it was, they aren't allowed to.

Since the baby was apparently born in a hospital, it's unlikely the mother was a boat person or a hidden birth.
My guess is her distant family will eventually connect to her. Someone always talks, eventually. They may be building a family tree and have a missing link like I do. Questions will be asked and bits and pieces will come out over time.

I wonder if there were any cameras near the beach access points that would give a hint of someone leaving the baby. There’s a high incident of mothers using water to cause death, rather than a messy form of death, like a gun.

It is difficult to fathom this baby being unidentified for so long. Sad.

"The medical examiner has ruled the case a homicide.

Initial genetic testing shows the baby is about 50% Central Asian and 50% African."

I would suppose LE would have checked on recent hospital births? Not that we would know this poor little one was actually born in hospital. You never know IMO.

they checked births in broward and palm beach counties and were going to start on Miami dade. she was thought to be born in the hospital because her umbilicus was neatly cut and she had heel prick which are common for newborn testing. i think she was born further out.

The DNA result used for identification isn't the same as DNA results from the heritage sites. Those sites are interested in locating the similarities with other people to find out who you're related to. The DNA for identification uses a different set of locations to make a unique profile.

The DNA for identification is uploaded into the CODIS database which is run by the Justice Department and covers the entire US. If any LE agency anywhere in the country uploads a missing baby's DNA, it will automatically be compared.

but haven't they been entering DNA into those other sites? I thought that was how they hav been getting so many ID lately. i know they added an "opt in" though.

but haven't they been entering DNA into those other sites? I thought that was how they hav been getting so many ID lately. i know they added an "opt in" though.

GEDmatch and I think like one other small site are the only ones that allow LE comparison, partly because they're the only ones that have raw uploads. GEDmatch lets you download your raw DNA data from 23andme, Ancestry etc and upload to GEDmatch. Since LE has the raw data, they can do this for John and Jane Does. Ancestry and 23andme, meanwhile, require you to spit in a tube, and quite a lot of spit is needed. Deceased John and Jane Does can't spit in tubes. 23andme and Ancestry also would not allow LE to use them even if it were possible, they're too big and have too much to risk in getting sued.

Even matching via GEDmatch has become trickier since the introduction of the opt in system. There's no guarantee of success and I suspect LE would rather exhaust other options first. The DNA Doe Project also do not take on child cases as far as I'm aware (this may have changed).

they checked births in broward and palm beach counties and were going to start on Miami dade. she was thought to be born in the hospital because her umbilicus was neatly cut and she had heel prick which are common for newborn testing. i think she was born further out.
I don't know why LE seems stuck on only southwest FL counties either. Maybe they are keeping other locations quiet. You can zip across Alligator Alley (I-75) in 2 hours and you're in Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral. Head north on US 1 from the Keys and you're in Miami in 1-2 hours.

Looking at weather history in the two weeks prior to discovery should show the wind and tide patterns. If the infant went into the water from a boat or entered the water from shore, it should give them a guide as to where she originated from.

Unbelievable this precious child is still not identified. It makes me think the mother hid the pregnancy but then why deliver in a hospital, if she did, that is. Look at that sweet innocent face. Happy to hear her DNA is being reviewed.

‘Baby June’ homicide remains unsolved two years after infant’s body found in ocean

upload_2020-6-3_8-23-13.png

It has been two years since an off-duty firefighter found the body of an infant floating in the ocean, and investigators are once again asking for the public’s help identifying “Baby June” in hopes of solving her death.

Boynton Beach firefighter Chris Lemieux was aboard a charter boat on the afternoon of June 1, 2018, when he spotted the body off Boynton Beach Inlet and called 911.

The infant, whom authorities dubbed “Baby June,” was determined to be no more than 14 days old. She had a needle prick on her heel and her umbilical cord had been cut, leading detectives to believe the child was born in a hospital, birthing center, doctor’s office or by a midwife.

The Palm Beach County Medical Examiner ruled the case a homicide in November 2018. The child was thought to have been in the water for up to one day.

DNA from the unknown infant was submitted into a genealogical database that has been continually searching for possible relatives.

So far, tests have determined her DNA was an even 50% mix of African and Asian descent, indicating her parents may have been from the Caribbean, authorities said.

Investigators from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office examined the birth records of more than 700 babies in Broward, Palm Beach, and Martin counties during the time period Baby June had likely been born, but came up with no leads as to her identity.

Based on that idea, a cursory search of news in Florida for a migrant boat washing ashore or crash involving refugess or anyone for June 2018 didnt help much...I am not having much luck.

Is there a website for missing refugees who were last thought to be traveling to or already in the states?
Possible search for a pregnant woman, a woman that gave birth in detention, or just before crossing into the states. I am out of my element and not sure where to start. Assuming all the viable options like NCMEC & Doe Network etc were thoroughly searched by LE already?
Did anybody search for girls & women (possibly pg) who went missing before June 2018- just in case?
Edit: attempted to fix the grammatical sh** show, sorry..lol

It's certainly possible, but I would think the baby's ethnic makeup makes the Cuba theory unlikely. Most Cubans are white, black, or mixed race black and white, with a small population of Cuban natives too. This baby's genetic makeup is roughly 50% black, 50% Central Asian (places like Afghanistan, Tajikistan, etc). I doubt there are many Central Asians in Cuba, though there's bound to be a few I suppose.

LE also confirmed that this is a homicide. I'm not sure they'd say that if our baby girl's COD was drowning. That they've said homicide makes me wonder about blunt force trauma or some other COD that would make homicide confirmed.

It's certainly possible, but I would think the baby's ethnic makeup makes the Cuba theory unlikely. Most Cubans are white, black, or mixed race black and white, with a small population of Cuban natives too. This baby's genetic makeup is roughly 50% black, 50% Central Asian (places like Afghanistan, Tajikistan, etc). I doubt there are many Central Asians in Cuba, though there's bound to be a few I suppose.

LE also confirmed that this is a homicide. I'm not sure they'd say that if our baby girl's COD was drowning. That they've said homicide makes me wonder about blunt force trauma or some other COD that would make homicide confirmed.
Shaken Baby Syndrome comes to mine. Suffocation too. For them to have such a natural looking reconstruction, leads me to believe it was not drowning and the baby wasn’t in the water very long. I’d say it was a young parent overwhelmed and unprepared or possibly a domestic violence situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms
Back