GUILTY FL - Baby Girl Found Floating Near Boynton Beach, June 2018 - Baby June

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ever since I saw the genetic results for baby June I have been on the look out for cases of missing women from Jamaica. This is pretty out there, but I stumbled upon this case of a 9 year old who disappeared in Miami, FL while visiting the US on a school field trip in 2000: FL - FL - Nastassia Marsh, 9, Miami, 11 June 2000
The description makes it sound as if they think her mother flew from New York and got her and her location is still unknown, but somehow they have recent photos of Nastassia from 2016. I know this is out there for a theory but, if someone is keeping her captive or hidden, perhaps they did not want to keep a baby as it would eventually lead to her location? I know it's a long shot but if anyone thinks it's possible, please send it in... I'm thinking that a missing girl from Jamaica is not going to have DNA in the system so it might be hard for LE to look for a connection but I wanted to put the theory here for consideration (feel free to tell me I'm crazy, lol).

It's been a year since authorities found a newborn baby floating off the coast of Florida, and police say they still don't know the identity of the child or how she got into the water.

SBM

Detectives hope a $50,000 reward will help them solve the case.

A year later, police don't know who killed Florida baby
"The medical examiner has ruled the case a homicide.

Initial genetic testing shows the baby is about 50% Central Asian and 50% African."

I would suppose LE would have checked on recent hospital births? Not that we would know this poor little one was actually born in hospital. You never know IMO.

Initial genetic testing shows the baby is about 50% Central Asian and 50% African."

I would suppose LE would have checked on recent hospital births? Not that we would know this poor little one was actually born in hospital. You never know IMO.

We all know that I get a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions and grasping at straws.

There is a large US military presence in Florida.

There is a large US military presence in Asia.

I understand that this has been fairly common for decades.

Obviously, I don't know if this has anything to do with this case.

Local slang, the teen-aged kids of these couples refer to themselves as "Blasian." Their term, not mine.

Tiger Woods is Thai-American as an example.

We have so little information in this case!

WAIT! Was she born to one of those unfortunate 'employees' at the infamous massage parlor???

JMHO YMMV

We all know that I get a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions and grasping at straws.

There is a large US military presence in Florida.

There is a large US military presence in Asia.

I understand that this has been fairly common for decades.

Obviously, I don't know if this has anything to do with this case.

Local slang, the teen-aged kids of these couples refer to themselves as "Blasian." Their term, not mine.

Tiger Woods is Thai-American as an example.

We have so little information in this case!

WAIT! Was she born to one of those unfortunate 'employees' at the infamous massage parlor???

JMHO YMMV
Hmmm, Jupiter is only 33 minutes away via the highway. Hmmmm.

It is believed she was probably born in a hospital. From 2018. bbm

The Florida Department of Children and Families said this week that the child probably was born around Memorial Day and likely in a hospital. DCF said an investigator determined that because of a prick on the baby girl’s heel.

PBSO says Boynton Inlet baby likely drifted north from Broward

June 1, 2019 at 10:45 AM EDT - Updated June 1 at 11:48 AM
‘Baby June’ investigation continues
Snip,
".....have checked 700 newborns in surrounding counties but have not found any leads."
Snip,
"The medical examiner confirmed the infant was murdered. Detectives believe the girl, who is being called “Baby June,” was between four and seven days old when she was killed."

So, that 'prick' on her heel? Did the murderer inject her with something? I just detest writing some of these words. Whoever killed this baby is pure evil. Best description that I can come up with. IMO of course.

June 1, 2019 at 10:45 AM EDT - Updated June 1 at 11:48 AM
‘Baby June’ investigation continues
Snip,
".....have checked 700 newborns in surrounding counties but have not found any leads."
Snip,
"The medical examiner confirmed the infant was murdered. Detectives believe the girl, who is being called “Baby June,” was between four and seven days old when she was killed."

So, that 'prick' on her heel? Did the murderer inject her with something? I just detest writing some of these words. Whoever killed this baby is pure evil. Best description that I can come up with. IMO of course.

It's believe it was a neonatal prick. moo

Neonatal heel prick - Wikipedia

They need to compare her DNA every few weeks. The number of people uploading their data to places like GEDmatch, MyHeritage, etc changes daily. At some point, they’ll get a hit.

I’ve only had my DNA uploaded a week and there’s probably 20 new distant relatives from all over the place. Not just the US either.

Heel prick -- as Jax49 link explains in more detail, this is completed at the hospital to test for very serious conditions, including Phenylketonuria, a problem with protein processing that causes serious brain development problems. (The is missing an enzyme we need to digest protein foods. The body then stores proteins that can't be dismantled in the brain. With careful diet, the kids grow up fine.)

The baby's heel is pricked, and the med tech then touches a card to the heel, putting a drop of blood in different circles on the card.

Yes your baby cries, but not for long. At least mine didn't, Your Mileage May Vary!

RIP, Baby June!

upload_2019-6-2_7-36-12.png

They need to compare her DNA every few weeks. The number of people uploading their data to places like GEDmatch, MyHeritage, etc changes daily. At some point, they’ll get a hit.

I’ve only had my DNA uploaded a week and there’s probably 20 new distant relatives from all over the place. Not just the US either.

The DNA result used for identification isn't the same as DNA results from the heritage sites. Those sites are interested in locating the similarities with other people to find out who you're related to. The DNA for identification uses a different set of locations to make a unique profile.

The DNA for identification is uploaded into the CODIS database which is run by the Justice Department and covers the entire US. If any LE agency anywhere in the country uploads a missing baby's DNA, it will automatically be compared.

The DNA result used for identification isn't the same as DNA results from the heritage sites. Those sites are interested in locating the similarities with other people to find out who you're related to. The DNA for identification uses a different set of locations to make a unique profile.

The DNA for identification is uploaded into the CODIS database which is run by the Justice Department and covers the entire US. If any LE agency anywhere in the country uploads a missing baby's DNA, it will automatically be compared.
To be honest I’m not completely understanding the difference that you’re describing. That leads me to question why would they not do both ways then? Why wait for some other agency to upload DNA when people are willingly uploading it daily? I’m not a pro and admit my ignorance in the topic, so if you can help me understand I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

To be honest I’m not completely understanding the difference that you’re describing. That leads me to question why would they not do both ways then? Why wait for some other agency to upload DNA when people are willingly uploading it daily? I’m not a pro and admit my ignorance in the topic, so if you can help me understand I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

BBM

$$$ JMHO

The was LE does DNA has been standard for years. Consumer DNA is more recent, and a rather different format.

LE, as a body, has yet to ask for enough of your hard-earned tax dollar$ to re-do all the LE samples in the consumer format.

This is how I understand the problem, & could be waaaay off.

JMHO YMMV

Well, I'll try, but I'm hardly an expert...

The human genome has 23 paired chromosomes; you get one half of the pair from your mother and the other half from your father. (There's also mitochondrial DNA that you get only from your mother, but let's not get too complicated yet :p) The chromosomes are made up of millions of other tiny bits that combine into segments. I forget what they're called. Alleles maybe? Anyway, some of them are segments that have the code for making body parts in the womb, or producing hormones in the body, or determining our hair and eye color. Some of them have been passed down for about as long as we've been human. Some of them are redundant, spare copies basically. Quite a lot of it is junk; apparently the body is pretty good at identifying a damaged section, tagging it so it's not used, and then using one of the good copies. The damaged section gets passed on to the children, but it isn't used any more.

Because it's so big and so varied, it's really not possible to sequence the entire thing, so instead they look at smaller portions where the significant information is. They've located a set of those sections that are unique to each individual. Those are the ones that LE uses for identification.

The ancestry-type sites aren't looking for the unique areas, they're looking for the sections that you share with a recognizable subset of other people--the alleles that belong to certain identifiable ancestral groups, for instance. 23andMe looks for sections that are associated with probability of health issues; one of the younger Carbuffs and his wife had the test before they got pregnant because it was possible they were both carriers of Tay-Sachs disease, for instance. They can look for other things as well. But they're not the same sections LE uses.

Besides the practical, there are legal issues with LE using the consumer sites. The biggest one is that the Constitution prohibits investigating people without cause, and the people who put their DNA results onto the sites did not expect that they would be used to investigate a crime. So even if the technology worked, they wouldn't be allowed to do it.

I believe Florida's privacy laws are even stricter than most states, so likely even a DNA Doe or Parabon investigation wouldn't be allowed, but I'm not positive on that.

Clear as mud?

Well, I'll try, but I'm hardly an expert...

The human genome has 23 paired chromosomes; you get one half of the pair from your mother and the other half from your father. (There's also mitochondrial DNA that you get only from your mother, but let's not get too complicated yet :p) The chromosomes are made up of millions of other tiny bits that combine into segments. I forget what they're called. Alleles maybe? Anyway, some of them are segments that have the code for making body parts in the womb, or producing hormones in the body, or determining our hair and eye color. Some of them have been passed down for about as long as we've been human. Some of them are redundant, spare copies basically. Quite a lot of it is junk; apparently the body is pretty good at identifying a damaged section, tagging it so it's not used, and then using one of the good copies. The damaged section gets passed on to the children, but it isn't used any more.

Because it's so big and so varied, it's really not possible to sequence the entire thing, so instead they look at smaller portions where the significant information is. They've located a set of those sections that are unique to each individual. Those are the ones that LE uses for identification.

The ancestry-type sites aren't looking for the unique areas, they're looking for the sections that you share with a recognizable subset of other people--the alleles that belong to certain identifiable ancestral groups, for instance. 23andMe looks for sections that are associated with probability of health issues; one of the younger Carbuffs and his wife had the test before they got pregnant because it was possible they were both carriers of Tay-Sachs disease, for instance. They can look for other things as well. But they're not the same sections LE uses.

Besides the practical, there are legal issues with LE using the consumer sites. The biggest one is that the Constitution prohibits investigating people without cause, and the people who put their DNA results onto the sites did not expect that they would be used to investigate a crime. So even if the technology worked, they wouldn't be allowed to do it.

I believe Florida's privacy laws are even stricter than most states, so likely even a DNA Doe or Parabon investigation wouldn't be allowed, but I'm not positive on that.

Clear as mud?
Thank you! That is very helpful. If a random person uploads their DNA to one of the genealogist sites and opts in for LE review, then LE uses the same site, maybe they will get a hit? Like the cold cases they’re solving. This baby needs her family and they need her, even if they don't realize it. It is mind blowing that she is unidentified a year later.

The fact that they haven’t yet, leads me to suspect:
-this birth was hidden quite well, possibly to a teenager
-possibly born in poverty, if no one in the family has disposable income to do a DNA test
-birth to a boat person attempting to migrate, its possible mother may not have survived either

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgieCat
Back