Identified! FL - Big Coppitt Key, 'Valentine Jane Doe' 49UFFL, 16-25, Feb'91 - Wanda Deann Kirkum *killer died*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes I see that's how they know he killed her but how does that lead to her being ID'd? If she hadn't been reported missing? Did they use genetic genealogy? I just haven't seen that link be spelled out anywhere of how they ID'd her.

Sorry, I misread your question. You're right, they don't say. That's odd.

Wow. Just blows me away. I'm so glad for her family & friends that she has her name back. RIP Wanda.

The way it was worded on how they ID'd both the killer and the victim, I'm extrapolating it was genetic genealogy for both.
BBM
Sheriff’s Office Major Crimes Unit Detective Vince Weiner and the FDLE partnered using new advanced DNA technology, which assisted in identifying the victim as well as the suspect.
Hornell native identified as victim of 'Valentine Jane Doe Homicide'

I just saw Carl posted on FB that she has been identified along with her killer. I have been following her case for a long time, glad she finally has her name back. I am wondering too how they made the comparison since she wasn’t reported missing.

Last edited:
I just saw Carl possess on FB that she has been identified along with her killer. I have been following her case for a long time, glad she finally has her name back. I am wondering too how they made the comparison since she wasn’t reported missing.

I'm guessing, but the way it's worded in the article I linked in my previous post it sounds like forensic genealogy.

Wow so happy she got identified :) i'm always exited when Doe's get the names back and especially those older ones.
Sad that no one reported her missing and her parents are no longer alive but at least we know ;) seems like her killer was killed not to long after her murder...good riddance i guess.

Rest Easy Wanda.

Wow so happy she got identified :) i'm always exited when Doe's get the names back and especially those older ones.
Sad that no one reported her missing and her parents are no longer alive but at least we know ;) seems like her killer was killed not to long after her murder...good riddance i guess.

Rest Easy Wanda.

I guess karma got him before LE could.

I love the identified cases that make me "whaaaa???" out loud in joy! I remember the first time I stumbled upon this case in 2007!

As to why Wanda wasn't reported missing, she could have been 18 already and left voluntarily. Her family could have dealt with the same thing Jason Callahan's (AKA Grateful doe) family did.

I think it should be widely publicized that if you have a family member that you haven't seen in a while to check in on them. It should be on commericals and billboards IMO.

I love the identified cases that make me "whaaaa???" out loud in joy! I remember the first time I stumbled upon this case in 2007!

As to why Wanda wasn't reported missing, she could have been 18 already and left voluntarily. Her family could have dealt with the same thing Jason Callahan's (AKA Grateful doe) family did.

I think it should be widely publicized that if you have a family member that you haven't seen in a while to check in on them. It should be on commericals and billboards IMO.

BBM for focus
I agree.

I read on another forum a post from a family member who stated she had a difficult life with her parents and had runaway about 2 years prior to her disappearance. At some point the family started looking about 10 years after she left. It may have been just search on Internet. The poster was much younger than Wanda and did not know her. It seems odd she would have so few clothes if she had been in Florida long. Where had she been since she left New York? I am curious to know more about the killer. Unlikely this was his first murder. Very sad case.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah573x
Back